The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
Alan Lee's LotR Sketch Book (Hardcover)

Blu Falcon
Bree

Aug 29 2008, 7:31pm

Post #1 of 11 (224 views)
Shortcut
Alan Lee's LotR Sketch Book (Hardcover) Can't Post

This is a very nice book, and I just added it to my library recently. In order to keep it somewhat uniform with the other LotR literature on my bookshelf, I'm thinking about tossing the dust jacket, or at least storing it away somewhere. What did you guys do with your dust jacket? On or off?

"It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge. War endures. As well ask men what they think of stone. War was always here. Before man was, war waited for him. The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner." - Cormac McCarthy

Loresilme
Valinor

Aug 29 2008, 7:36pm

Post #2 of 11 (148 views)
Shortcut
Take it off and tuck it away [In reply to] Can't Post

How's that for a subject line Cool?. Really though I would never toss a dust jacket. I'd store it safely away from sun, heat and dampness. But never toss....

Jazmine
Tol Eressea

Aug 29 2008, 10:58pm

Post #3 of 11 (127 views)
Shortcut
Most of the time, I leave it on [In reply to] Can't Post

My books are positioned away from direct sunlight! But if you do take it off, don't throw it. Keep it somewhere safe, because chances are, you'll miss it one day! And yeah, it's a great book!

*Jazminatar the Brown*

Annael
Immortal

Aug 30 2008, 12:40am

Post #4 of 11 (125 views)
Shortcut
I leave them on [In reply to] Can't Post

To protect the book cover, and to use as a bookmark when I read.

Plus, they're pretty to look at, often. And I don't need another thing to store or file.

My name is Annael, and I approved this message.

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

Blu Falcon
Bree

Aug 30 2008, 12:45am

Post #5 of 11 (133 views)
Shortcut
I understand that logic completely, but.... [In reply to] Can't Post

...in this case the hardcover is identical to the jacket. Smile

I've decided to store the jacket away. The book itself is a great addition to my collection of Tolkien literature, which are all pretty much "naked" with exception of the 50th anniversary edition of LotR that remains in the slipcase.

In Reply To
To protect the book cover, and to use as a bookmark when I read.

Plus, they're pretty to look at, often. And I don't need another thing to store or file.

"It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge. War endures. As well ask men what they think of stone. War was always here. Before man was, war waited for him. The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner." - Cormac McCarthy

(This post was edited by Blu Falcon on Aug 30 2008, 12:47am)

Rosie-with-the-ribbons
Forum Admin / Moderator

Aug 30 2008, 7:16am

Post #6 of 11 (109 views)
Shortcut
Leave it on [In reply to] Can't Post

I have it and love to just flip it through.
I always leave the jacket on. When really reading a book with a jacket it take it off and place the jacket on the bookshelf. That way I know I have the book and know that place is already taken on the bookshelf (I know myself by now Wink). But when the book is on the shelf I just put it back on again. I don't know where to leave the jacket otherwise.

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Aug 30 2008, 11:54am

Post #7 of 11 (103 views)
Shortcut
*pack-rat gasp* Keep It! [In reply to] Can't Post

What I've done with jackets I'd like to preserve is to either store them away OR most of the time I open the book and put the jacket inside like a reverse of how it would be outside, but inside. One flap behind the front cover, the other flap behind the back cover. It shields the pages and keeps the jacket with the book... only inside-out... or outside in... d'oh, you know what I mean ;)

sample

sample

"Barney Snow was here." ~Hug like a hobbit!~ "In my heaven..."

TORn's Observations Lists

Kyriel
Forum Admin / Moderator

Aug 30 2008, 2:58pm

Post #8 of 11 (147 views)
Shortcut
I'd try to find a plastic cover for it [In reply to] Can't Post

You see them in libraries all the time; I'm sure you could find one on the Internet somewhere. In any case, I add my voice to what's so far a 100% majority in saying, whatever you do, don't throw it away! Not only is it beautiful artwork, but it's also a valuable part of the book that you'll need to keep if you ever (heaven forbid) decide to sell it one day.

Those left standing will make millions writing books on the way it should have been. --Incubus

silneldor
Half-elven

Aug 30 2008, 4:06pm

Post #9 of 11 (107 views)
Shortcut
If it is going to sit on the shelf, [In reply to] Can't Post

i would leave it on.
If i used the book shortly i would leave it on but if i was handling it a bit i would take it off and hold it to the side.
If i was going to use it extensively and carry it around say, in a carry bag, i would make a cover for it using that tough brown paper from shopping bags that wears well (i use this stuff for my paperbacks as well during long use). That way i can put my name and number or whatever on it if it gets lost. After such use i would put the original cover on it to be put back on the shelf. That brown cover can be used for other books if it is not worn out.

"Tolkien, like Lewis, believed that, through story, the real world would become a more magical place, full of meaning. We see its patterns and colors in a fresh way. The recovery of a true view of the world applies both to individual things, like hills and stones, and to the cosmic - the depths of space and time itself. For in sub-creation, in Tolkien's view, there is a "survey" of space and time. Reality is captured on a miniature scale. Through stories like The Lord of the Rings, a renewed view of things is given, illuminating the homely, the spiritial, the physical, and the moral dimensions of the world."

Tolkien and C.S. Lewis- The Gift of Friendship -Duriez

After Sunset
I have an understanding with the hills
At evening, when slanted radiance fills
Their hollows, and the great winds let them be,
And they are quiet and look down at me.
Oh, then I see the patience in their eyes
Out of the centuries that made them wise.
They lend me hoarded memory, and I learn
Their thoughts of granite and their whims of fern,
And why a dream of forests must endure
Though every tree be slain; and how the pure,
Invisible beauty has a word so brief
A flower can say it, or a shaken leaf,
But few may ever snare it in a song,
Though for the quest a life is not too long.
When the blue hills grow tender, when they pull
The twilight close with gesture beautiful,
And shadows are their garments, and the air
Deepens, and the wild veery is at prayer,
Their arms are strong around me; and I know
That somehow I shall follow where you go
To the still land beyond the evening star,
Where everlasting hills and valleys are,
And silence may not hurt us any more,
And terror shall be past, and grief and war.

Grace Hazard Conkling (conclusion of a song recital from the book Lake Minnewaska by W Doughty where he says ''this is not the end of songs which we are certain will continue to rise from gifted minds and hearts in this enchanted realm where sometimes 'great mists lie' but always where 'great dreams rise' ''.) ...Reminds me particularly of the elves and the ents

May the grace of Manwë let us soar with eagle's wings!

In the air, among the clouds in the sky
Here is where the birds of Manwe fly
Looking at the land, and the water that flows
The true beauty of earth shows
With the stars of Varda lighting my way
In all the realms this is where I stay
In the realm of Manwë Súlimo
By El~Cugu

From the website: 'The Realm of Manwe'

Child of Manwe
Rivendell

Aug 31 2008, 4:48pm

Post #10 of 11 (89 views)
Shortcut
Never liked [In reply to] Can't Post

the dust jacket on library books (or any books for that matter) so I say off with it.

"Fear, Fire, Foes...Awake! Awake!"

"Ash nazg durzag, ash nazg grimbaultuk..."

ringwraiths27

FantasyFan
Rohan

Aug 31 2008, 8:03pm

Post #11 of 11 (114 views)
Shortcut
Depends [In reply to] Can't Post

If you're going to read the book a lot, take the dust jacket off and preserve it somewhere else. It will get ripped up by handling. I wish I had preserved the dust jackets to the hardcover LOTR that my husband (then boyfriend) gave me for my 16th birthday. Two are missing completely and the one that is left is in bad shape. Keep it pretty, keep it safe (or something like that) for special books you want to keep nice for a long time.

Unless you want to do what I did with my Harry Potter set - I covered the dust jackets with clear contact paper to preserve them, and kept them on. I wanted the set to all have the jackets, as they're much prettier than the hardcovers, but he books themselves are never going to be collectables (they're cheap and already falling apart).

"That is one thing that Men call 'hope.' Amdir we call it, 'looking up.' But there is another which is founded deeper. Estel we call it, that is 'trust.' It is not defeated by the ways of the world, for it does not come from experience, but from our nature and First Being. If we are indeed the Eruhin, the Children of the One, then He will not suffer Himself to be deprived of His own, not by any enemy, not even by ourselves. This is the last foundation of estel, which we keep even when we contemplate the End. Of all His designs the issue must be for His children's joy."
Finrod, Athrabeth Finrod ah Andreth, HoME X Morgoth's Ring

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.