The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
The old question.

Goldberry of the river
Lorien

Aug 28 2008, 7:40pm

Post #1 of 24 (367 views)
Shortcut
The old question. Can't Post

Which Middle Earth race would you be? Elf, dwarf or Hobbit.
I expect this has been asked here countless times and you have done all those kind of quizzes, but as I'm quite new I'm really interested to know where you think you would fit in.

Well, seeing as I'm called Rosie here you would think I'm most like a Hobbit. I feel like I have the most in common with them. Sometimes I like the thought of living a simple life in the country with honest food and taking the odd adventure which is quite Tookish! The county where I live looks similar to The Shire and the people have the same accent as the hobbits (in the film). The way I giggle sometimes is how I think a hobbit wouldLaugh. My grandad was born in a little village called Holbeton (sounds rather similar to Hobbiton), he was a farmer and didn't like the people who lived on the other side of the hill because he thought they were strange...very hobbity.Smile
There is another side of me that loves the elves. I love their beauty, wisdom, craftsmanship, music and clothes. Sometimes my hair falls in that way infront of my ear and my boyfriend calls me an elf princess..he's so sweet,lol. I love beauty in things and nature and looking at the stars, but I'm not refined or serious enough (nor tall enough!) I think to be an elf. So a hobbit I am.

Brian Blessed for Thorin!

orcbane
Gondor

Aug 28 2008, 11:21pm

Post #2 of 24 (212 views)
Shortcut
location, location, location [In reply to] Can't Post

When trying to place myself in this way, I can't always decide, or my feelings change sometimes. But what usually comes to my mind lately is actually not on your list, but I think you'll allow it. A Gondorian Ranger. I like the way Ithilien sounds. Minas Tirith looks like a nice place to visit but I prefer the woods and hills. Faramir seems a fair commander and there's lots of orcs to rehabilitate. Wink

An Ent juggling spikey things ?

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Aug 29 2008, 8:49am

Post #3 of 24 (182 views)
Shortcut
Lemmie see... short, chubby, don't like to travel much [In reply to] Can't Post

I think I'm a dwarf!

Nahhhhh... I'm a complete hobbit. I can't get enough of the Shire and hobbity affection for home, food, relaxing, playing outside, just generally the sensibilities of the perians... except for the smoke, of course ;)

sample

"Barney Snow was here." ~Hug like a hobbit!~ "In my heaven..."

TORn's Observations Lists

GlowWorm
Bree

Aug 29 2008, 1:09pm

Post #4 of 24 (174 views)
Shortcut
I would want to be an ent or maybe an elf that lives in the trees [In reply to] Can't Post

I've always love the trees Smile

Rosie-with-the-ribbons
Forum Admin / Moderator

Aug 29 2008, 1:10pm

Post #5 of 24 (199 views)
Shortcut
I'm a mix [In reply to] Can't Post

I have the height of an elf, and sometimes people tell me also the grace.
But on the figure seize, I tend more to a Hobbit. I also like all the good stuff in live, only I don't smoke.

But in all, I think I'm more a Gondorian citizen, with still some of the old blood line running through me.

Goldberry of the river
Lorien

Aug 29 2008, 6:36pm

Post #6 of 24 (169 views)
Shortcut
Not 100% hobbit either... [In reply to] Can't Post

because I actually think I also would be at home in Minas Tirith and enjoy staying at Rivendell too.
I don't eat all day long like hobbits do either. I would love to though, but I this shows a hobbity obsession with food! Hhmm. My grandad would have been very at home in the shire as I've pointed out. He never wanted to travel. He went to Jersey once but that's still UK soil! He loved telling stories too, even when we'd heard them many times before!

(This post was edited by Rosie on Aug 29 2008, 6:42pm)

Loresilme
Valinor

Aug 29 2008, 7:42pm

Post #7 of 24 (176 views)
Shortcut
Living in the city [In reply to] Can't Post

Hmmm, yes I guess Minas Tirith would be the ME equivalent of urban living... although that means they probably would have the best restaurants ....Sly

Ithilien did sound beautiful, and undeveloped at the time ....although probably one of those places where by the time of Aragorn's grandchildren, it would be too expensive to live there....high taxes and all that .... Crazy

I wonder where the Orcs did go, eventually....

Loresilme
Valinor

Aug 29 2008, 7:45pm

Post #8 of 24 (159 views)
Shortcut
That's a nice thought [In reply to] Can't Post

.... walking through Fangorn forest, listening to the trees talking to each other Smile.

Loresilme
Valinor

Aug 29 2008, 7:48pm

Post #9 of 24 (160 views)
Shortcut
I love the flowers and gardens of the Hobbits [In reply to] Can't Post

But I lack their optimistic and fun-loving personalities, and love of gossip and that sort of stuff. I'd be considered a bit odd by their standards, I expect.

I love learning, so the idea of the library at Rivendell is very appealing to me...

(This post was edited by Loresilme on Aug 29 2008, 7:49pm)

Loresilme
Valinor

Aug 29 2008, 7:53pm

Post #10 of 24 (162 views)
Shortcut
I'm such an elf-wannabee [In reply to] Can't Post

Those things you listed ....

I love their beauty, wisdom, craftsmanship, music and clothes ... beauty in things and nature and looking at the stars

that's me too. I think they valued knowledge and learning also.

It's the elves for me. Now if I could just decide, Rivendell or Lothlorien...Evil *sigh*

Goldberry of the river
Lorien

Aug 29 2008, 7:54pm

Post #11 of 24 (159 views)
Shortcut
Another hobbit characteristic I have [In reply to] Can't Post

Lover of gossip, I'm rather ashamed to say.BlushLaugh Not the cruel or unkind stuff though! Just general gossip!

Loresilme
Valinor

Aug 29 2008, 7:59pm

Post #12 of 24 (158 views)
Shortcut
Well that's not a bad thing [In reply to] Can't Post

People like you are what keep the conversation going at parties! I know what you mean ... when you're kind-hearted about what you talk about, 'not all gossip .... is an evil" Cool.

Goldberry of the river
Lorien

Aug 29 2008, 8:12pm

Post #13 of 24 (155 views)
Shortcut
I can imagine myself... [In reply to] Can't Post

scurrying around Hobbiton with some gossip. At work today I was cooking something (I work in a farm shop where we sell 'home-made' food) and had forgotten to check on it and the way I scurried into the kitchen reminded me of Bilbo trotting around Bagend when Gandalf arrived (FOTR)!!Sly

Goldberry of the river
Lorien

Aug 29 2008, 8:17pm

Post #14 of 24 (153 views)
Shortcut
There's a lot in elves that appeals to me [In reply to] Can't Post

But I'm really torn between the two. One day I feel like an elf and the next I feel like a hobbit!

Peredhil lover
Valinor

Aug 29 2008, 8:27pm

Post #15 of 24 (160 views)
Shortcut
Impossible to answer ;) [In reply to] Can't Post

My stature makes me an obvious Hobbit, but I always wanted to visit Imladris even more than Hobbiton, and I have a soft spot for some Elves and particularly for the Peredhil. And I am much more interested in books than in gardening Wink

But then there is my love of horses, what would put me more among the Rohirrim, I guess ...

I do not suffer from LotR obsession - I enjoy every minute of it.

SmeagoloftheStoors
Lorien

Aug 30 2008, 4:35am

Post #16 of 24 (153 views)
Shortcut
I'm tall with pale skin and long hair, but I have hairy feet... I don't know.// [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't know why she loves me, but she says she does.
Photobucket

Annael
Immortal

Aug 30 2008, 4:47am

Post #17 of 24 (165 views)
Shortcut
Well, I pretty much live in Dol Amroth already [In reply to] Can't Post

And I like Men (wink, wink, nudge, nudge).

My name is Annael, and I approved this message.

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

silneldor
Half-elven

Aug 30 2008, 5:03pm

Post #18 of 24 (303 views)
Shortcut
My very thought. [In reply to] Can't Post

I believe we could very well be combing the depths of Ithilien through the beeches to the Anduin together brother. But like you i feel other things. I am pulled to the farmland repose of the shire (but i would probably be known as the swimming hobbit from doing laps across Bywater Pool (pond/lake). But the waters of Laketown and the woods of Lothlorien also intrigue me very much. I would also need to see Lake Nenuial before too long. It seems beautiful with the Hills of Evendim about it.

"Tolkien, like Lewis, believed that, through story, the real world would become a more magical place, full of meaning. We see its patterns and colors in a fresh way. The recovery of a true view of the world applies both to individual things, like hills and stones, and to the cosmic - the depths of space and time itself. For in sub-creation, in Tolkien's view, there is a "survey" of space and time. Reality is captured on a miniature scale. Through stories like The Lord of the Rings, a renewed view of things is given, illuminating the homely, the spiritial, the physical, and the moral dimensions of the world."

Tolkien and C.S. Lewis- The Gift of Friendship -Duriez

After Sunset
I have an understanding with the hills
At evening, when slanted radiance fills
Their hollows, and the great winds let them be,
And they are quiet and look down at me.
Oh, then I see the patience in their eyes
Out of the centuries that made them wise.
They lend me hoarded memory, and I learn
Their thoughts of granite and their whims of fern,
And why a dream of forests must endure
Though every tree be slain; and how the pure,
Invisible beauty has a word so brief
A flower can say it, or a shaken leaf,
But few may ever snare it in a song,
Though for the quest a life is not too long.
When the blue hills grow tender, when they pull
The twilight close with gesture beautiful,
And shadows are their garments, and the air
Deepens, and the wild veery is at prayer,
Their arms are strong around me; and I know
That somehow I shall follow where you go
To the still land beyond the evening star,
Where everlasting hills and valleys are,
And silence may not hurt us any more,
And terror shall be past, and grief and war.

Grace Hazard Conkling (conclusion of a song recital from the book Lake Minnewaska by W Doughty where he says ''this is not the end of songs which we are certain will continue to rise from gifted minds and hearts in this enchanted realm where sometimes 'great mists lie' but always where 'great dreams rise' ''.) ...Reminds me particularly of the elves and the ents

May the grace of Manwë let us soar with eagle's wings!

In the air, among the clouds in the sky
Here is where the birds of Manwe fly
Looking at the land, and the water that flows
The true beauty of earth shows
With the stars of Varda lighting my way
In all the realms this is where I stay
In the realm of Manwë Súlimo
By El~Cugu

From the website: 'The Realm of Manwe'

orcbane
Gondor

Aug 31 2008, 5:40pm

Post #19 of 24 (142 views)
Shortcut
I hear the Wendys on level 5 has good fries [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes, maybe a generation & then time to move on. Possibly to Andrast.

orcbane
Gondor

Aug 31 2008, 5:48pm

Post #20 of 24 (141 views)
Shortcut
Pack light, but bring your camera. [In reply to] Can't Post

Yeah. Find the old homesteads, clear the undergrowth & woods for a season. Make them livable again and move on. Bury old bones. Collect political Orc buttons ( " Vot for Gorblat oor I will Kill youf ") for the flea market in Minas Tirith. Now that the roads open for a while, might as well see the sights.

silneldor
Half-elven

Aug 31 2008, 6:57pm

Post #21 of 24 (150 views)
Shortcut
Ha, flea markets in Minas Tirith. [In reply to] Can't Post

i could have a gas there. I could stand to add to the decor here. Hey, i'll bring Smeagirl. She'd go on a rampage.
Camera? Nooo doubt. I can see myself on the cover of Middle-earth Geographic.....(pipe dream)

"Tolkien, like Lewis, believed that, through story, the real world would become a more magical place, full of meaning. We see its patterns and colors in a fresh way. The recovery of a true view of the world applies both to individual things, like hills and stones, and to the cosmic - the depths of space and time itself. For in sub-creation, in Tolkien's view, there is a "survey" of space and time. Reality is captured on a miniature scale. Through stories like The Lord of the Rings, a renewed view of things is given, illuminating the homely, the spiritial, the physical, and the moral dimensions of the world."

Tolkien and C.S. Lewis- The Gift of Friendship -Duriez

After Sunset
I have an understanding with the hills
At evening, when slanted radiance fills
Their hollows, and the great winds let them be,
And they are quiet and look down at me.
Oh, then I see the patience in their eyes
Out of the centuries that made them wise.
They lend me hoarded memory, and I learn
Their thoughts of granite and their whims of fern,
And why a dream of forests must endure
Though every tree be slain; and how the pure,
Invisible beauty has a word so brief
A flower can say it, or a shaken leaf,
But few may ever snare it in a song,
Though for the quest a life is not too long.
When the blue hills grow tender, when they pull
The twilight close with gesture beautiful,
And shadows are their garments, and the air
Deepens, and the wild veery is at prayer,
Their arms are strong around me; and I know
That somehow I shall follow where you go
To the still land beyond the evening star,
Where everlasting hills and valleys are,
And silence may not hurt us any more,
And terror shall be past, and grief and war.

Grace Hazard Conkling (conclusion of a song recital from the book Lake Minnewaska by W Doughty where he says ''this is not the end of songs which we are certain will continue to rise from gifted minds and hearts in this enchanted realm where sometimes 'great mists lie' but always where 'great dreams rise' ''.) ...Reminds me particularly of the elves and the ents

May the grace of Manwë let us soar with eagle's wings!

In the air, among the clouds in the sky
Here is where the birds of Manwe fly
Looking at the land, and the water that flows
The true beauty of earth shows
With the stars of Varda lighting my way
In all the realms this is where I stay
In the realm of Manwë Súlimo
By El~Cugu

From the website: 'The Realm of Manwe'

Loresilme
Valinor

Sep 2 2008, 3:31pm

Post #22 of 24 (136 views)
Shortcut
*snert* :-) // [In reply to] Can't Post

Ainu Laire
Tol Eressea

Sep 2 2008, 7:07pm

Post #23 of 24 (129 views)
Shortcut
Numenorean [In reply to] Can't Post

The older generation, before the desire to live forever came over them. I have no such desires, but I would like to live a bit longer than, say, 80.

Numenor, in the end, sounds like a fascinating place to be.

My LJ
My art site
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
NARF since age 8, when I refused to read the Hobbit because the cover looked boring and icky.

ringbearer9
Lorien

Sep 3 2008, 9:56pm

Post #24 of 24 (121 views)
Shortcut
An old question yes, but fun to anwer! [In reply to] Can't Post

As for appearance I look more lke an Elf, but truly I am 100% Hobbit. To be specific a Harfoot! Smile
I think I would get restless in the Shire, like Frodo and Bilbo did, so I'm not yor average Hobbit...but still. I would love to be able to eat like I do and have it be normal, To wear those clothes that look really comfy, to have a friend in pretty much all of your neighbors and to go to the Shire parties (fun!) .

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.