Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
DragonCon starts tomorrow!

MrCere
Sr. Staff

Aug 28 2008, 3:37pm

Post #1 of 11 (897 views)
Shortcut
DragonCon starts tomorrow! Can't Post

(From TORn's front page)

That low rumble you hear from the depths of the Internet is the annual DragonCon in Atlanta waking up from its slumber. While Smaug the Magnificent is waiting in the wings of the hearts of fantasy and movie-lovers everywhere, DragonCon 2008 has no shortage of build for the forthcoming pair of Hobbit-themed movies; and as we seem to be every year, TheOneRing.net is in the middle of it.

The show runs in several Atlanta hotels Friday through Monday and highlights the wide-ranging world of Sci-Fi and Fantasy. Highlighting the schedule for TORn are two presentations of our completely unofficial and unauthorized look at the two Hobbit movies coming from director Guillermo del Toro and the Peter Jackson producing team. The first of two presentations is Friday at 2:30 p.m. with the next one set for Saturday at 5:30 p.m. both in the Centennial I ballroom. Panelists include our own founder William Thomas (Corvar) and Larry D. Curtis (MrCere).

In addition TORn will be staffing its Fan Table in the basement of the Marriott, selling our latest dragon shirt which marks our first co-op with Weta of New Zealand. They designed the beautiful dragon that appears on the front of the shirt (by Daniel Falconer) and let us sell the shirts again like we did at Comic-Con. We may also have some free items and other dragon and TORn themed shirts as well. Sales of all items keep the not-for-profit site at places like DCon and keep the lights on.

But other Tolkien-related items there be as well. A full track of Tolkien programming is on site, located near the TORn table in the Marriott. Director and friend Jean will be missing this year due to a private matter but the track will carry on, thanks in no small part to our own staffer Deej.

Part of that programming features the great Sean Astin and Brad Dourif together on a panel discussing good and evil! They meet together on Saturday and then Astin returns on Sunday for the musings of the accomplished actor and his memories of Middle-earth. All of these breakout panels occur in the Centennial Ballrooms. Visit the Tolkien track for full details.

Author and friend Dr. Anne Petty will also be back, talking about her extensively revised, second edition book “Dragons of Fantasy”. Playing the annual “Evening at Bree” will be old friends Emerald Rose who have helped create one of the great annual parties at the Con and who have well-earned their title as one of the best and hardest working bands on the schedule.

Day or all-weekend passes are still available in Atlanta Georgia. See here for more details!

I have no choice but to believe in free will.

The cake is a lie
The cake is a lie
The cake is a lie

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Aug 28 2008, 4:36pm

Post #2 of 11 (425 views)
Shortcut
Rock on you guys! [In reply to] Can't Post

I can't think of which thing I'm mourning missing the most... deej's presentation, Sean and Brad, the t-shirts *twitch*, or TORn's discussions on The Hobbit. ALL AND ALL! But I really wish I could be in on the Hobbit presentation. If it's anything like last year's, it'll be fantastic! I remember a full house for that one! I hope you can post the slideshow and report on it like last years'.

You'd better save some of those t-shirts for those of us left along the wayside.

If any of you out there are half-thinking of making it to DragonCon... GO! You must experience it first hand to understand the madness and fun. I plan to return in 2010 after visiting NZ. Maybe I'll bring my g'daughter AND g'son that trip.

Have Fun MrCere, deej and all of our compatriates. *raises cafe vienna mug* Here's to a successful and action-packed weekend! CHEERS!

sample

"Barney Snow was here." ~Hug like a hobbit!~ "In my heaven..."

TORn's Observations Lists

silneldor
Half-elven

Aug 28 2008, 11:16pm

Post #3 of 11 (368 views)
Shortcut
You are making me [In reply to] Can't Post

itch, twitch and *itchFrown.
I can't be there.
SO, i am counting on you and all those who can to have the best of times. I NEED to see you all doing this so sent back pictures and stuff to the home crowd...ok?
Love ya brother.

"Tolkien, like Lewis, believed that, through story, the real world would become a more magical place, full of meaning. We see its patterns and colors in a fresh way. The recovery of a true view of the world applies both to individual things, like hills and stones, and to the cosmic - the depths of space and time itself. For in sub-creation, in Tolkien's view, there is a "survey" of space and time. Reality is captured on a miniature scale. Through stories like The Lord of the Rings, a renewed view of things is given, illuminating the homely, the spiritial, the physical, and the moral dimensions of the world."

Tolkien and C.S. Lewis- The Gift of Friendship -Duriez

After Sunset
I have an understanding with the hills
At evening, when slanted radiance fills
Their hollows, and the great winds let them be,
And they are quiet and look down at me.
Oh, then I see the patience in their eyes
Out of the centuries that made them wise.
They lend me hoarded memory, and I learn
Their thoughts of granite and their whims of fern,
And why a dream of forests must endure
Though every tree be slain; and how the pure,
Invisible beauty has a word so brief
A flower can say it, or a shaken leaf,
But few may ever snare it in a song,
Though for the quest a life is not too long.
When the blue hills grow tender, when they pull
The twilight close with gesture beautiful,
And shadows are their garments, and the air
Deepens, and the wild veery is at prayer,
Their arms are strong around me; and I know
That somehow I shall follow where you go
To the still land beyond the evening star,
Where everlasting hills and valleys are,
And silence may not hurt us any more,
And terror shall be past, and grief and war.
Grace Hazard Conkling

May the grace of Manwë let us soar with eagle's wings!

In the air, among the clouds in the sky
Here is where the birds of Manwe fly
Looking at the land, and the water that flows
The true beauty of earth shows
With the stars of Varda lighting my way
In all the realms this is where I stay
In the realm of Manwë Súlimo
By El~Cugu

From the website: 'The Realm of Manwe'

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Aug 29 2008, 2:30pm

Post #4 of 11 (363 views)
Shortcut
*sigh* They're all probably pressing through [In reply to] Can't Post

the masses in the lobbies, escalators, streets, sidewalks, venues and vendor areas right now.

OH THE HUMANITY! OH THE NOISE! ;)

sample

ringers rock!
Rivendell

Aug 29 2008, 4:44pm

Post #5 of 11 (348 views)
Shortcut
*smiles* [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm only going to be able to make it sat eve, sunday and monday but it's better'n nothin! I'll think of you when I'm standing in a 4 hour line buying my pass!

*grumbles* ...buying tickets at the door...and to think I call myself a fan....

Loresilme
Valinor

Aug 29 2008, 7:56pm

Post #6 of 11 (416 views)
Shortcut
Does anyone know.... [In reply to] Can't Post

if any of these types of conventions are ever held in the New York metro area?

They sound like so much fun, but they never seem to be on the east coast.

Is anyone here privvy to the locations and scheduling of these events?

Loresilme
Valinor

Aug 29 2008, 8:02pm

Post #7 of 11 (351 views)
Shortcut
Maybe you better take off that pink bathing suit :-) [In reply to] Can't Post

That'll happen with spandex, you know ShockedAngelicTongueCool.

Elven
Valinor

Aug 29 2008, 8:10pm

Post #8 of 11 (421 views)
Shortcut
I just read the new News on the Home Page - Im green with envy!! [In reply to] Can't Post

I cant image what fun you guys are having!!
Sounds like an incredible line up of things to see and do!
Wish I was there for the sword give-away! Arrgghh!
Hope someones taking piccies Smile

The radio segment is going to be full! Yay!! Smile

Cheers
Elven x

Were off to Hobbiton finally!

Tolkien was a Capricorn!!
Russell Crowe for Beorn!!

Quote of The Week: A I LOVE cats and I love TV. And I love to watch cats on TV. Ron Perlman

overlithe64
Rivendell

Aug 29 2008, 9:03pm

Post #9 of 11 (354 views)
Shortcut
i want to have fun too [In reply to] Can't Post

Pirate But I can't so I hope everyone down there has a great time...I suppose Sean will actually be there this time...since I can't be.

If anyone who is going reads this.... Tell Sean I (Sandy) said Hey! (the woman who's photo he kept in his wallet) He might remember, lol though Christine says his mind is a black hole.

I am obsessed, but I am in excellent company.

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Aug 30 2008, 12:07pm

Post #10 of 11 (437 views)
Shortcut
If anyone want to see what DragonCon's like from my perspective [In reply to] Can't Post

here's a link to my report last year. I think all of the picture links should still work.

gramma's DragonCon 07 report

sample

sample

Peredhil lover
Valinor

Aug 30 2008, 7:56pm

Post #11 of 11 (391 views)
Shortcut
Thanks, Gramma! [In reply to] Can't Post

As I'm living so far away, it is very unlikely that I will *ever* get to go myself, so I really enjoyed reading your long report and looking at the pictures. It helps so much to get an idea how this Con is like! It must really have been a lot of fun. Thank you for reposting it!

I do not suffer from LotR obsession - I enjoy every minute of it.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.