Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
"For Better or For Worse" starts life over again...

diedye
Grey Havens

Aug 28 2008, 4:51am

Post #1 of 17 (285 views)
Shortcut
"For Better or For Worse" starts life over again... Can't Post

Lynn Johnston's comic strip is retiring... and being re-born all in the space of two days.

On Sunday, Lynn will say good-bye to the all-grown-up Pattersons, only to say hello again on Monday when she re-visits the family in its early family life, beginning with when Michael and Lizzie were very young. According to the United Press Syndicate, Patterson, using "new comic strips drawn in the style she used 29 years ago when the Patterson family first appeared on comic pages, Johnston will begin retelling their story from the beginning, eventually blending at least half of the classic original comic strips with new material."

Just the thought of seeing Farley again after having bawled my eyes out when he "died" brings a smile to my face... it's like having a good friend back after having thought he was lost forever. He is as beloved to me and other fans as Snoopy is too Peanuts fans.

I love this comic strip. I hope people will give it a chance, despite having some newspapers drop the strip (they don't want to pay full price for "recycled" strips).

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Aug 28 2008, 10:48am

Post #2 of 17 (170 views)
Shortcut
I was wondering [In reply to] Can't Post

what she was going to do with that strip, I'd heard she was "changing" how it would go, halting the "aging" of the characters at a certain point.

I hope my paper does not drop it; I missed out on a lot of those early strips, and only learned of Farley's death much later!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

"It struck me last night that you might write a fearfully good romantic drama, with as much of the 'supernatural' as you cared to introduce. Have you ever thought of it?"
-Geoffrey B. Smith, letter to JRR Tolkien, 1915

a.s.
Valinor

Aug 28 2008, 11:04am

Post #3 of 17 (189 views)
Shortcut
but what will happen to April? [In reply to] Can't Post

April's not "all grown up"? I want to see who April marries.

I want to see Lizzie's kids!!

Well, I can understand her wanting to slow down after all these years, I don't know how she's kept the strip so gently humorous at the same time so real to so many of us. I'm happy to see FBOW in any iteration! I believe I have been following it for almost the entire 29 years (certainly since my oldest was young, and she's 27) and will feel like part of my daily life is missing!

a.s.

"an seileachan"

Pooh began to feel a little more comfortable, because when you are a Bear of Very Little Brain, and you Think of Things, you find sometimes that a Thing which seemed very Thingish inside you is quite different when it gets out into the open and has other people looking at it.

Kyriel
Forum Admin / Moderator

Aug 28 2008, 11:07am

Post #4 of 17 (234 views)
Shortcut
Ah, that explains today's "punchline" [In reply to] Can't Post

I had heard that she was retiring, but I didn't know quite when. Then I saw today's comic and felt a very strong sense of "goodbye" in it. I wonder what tomorrow and Saturday will bring. There doesn't seem to be anything else left to say.

Anyway, I'm glad to know she's not really retiring, just going back to the beginning.

Those left standing will make millions writing books on the way it should have been. --Incubus

One Ringer
Tol Eressea

Aug 28 2008, 11:47am

Post #5 of 17 (190 views)
Shortcut
I've never really read FBoFW [In reply to] Can't Post

I watched the show, and sometimes the occasional strip. It's a nice series, and now that it's starting over, well, this should be interesting.

Miret
Rivendell

Aug 28 2008, 12:04pm

Post #6 of 17 (220 views)
Shortcut
I'm looking forward to it! [In reply to] Can't Post

It's long been one of my favorite comics. It stands out in that it changes, grows and reflects the change going on in the world

Meddle not in the affair of cats, for they are easily irritated and will pee on your keyboard

Decaf, anyone?

Farawyn
Rohan

Aug 28 2008, 1:30pm

Post #7 of 17 (142 views)
Shortcut
DD, You're killing me. Sersly. // [In reply to] Can't Post

Disclaimer: The author of this message does not guarantee correct grammar, spelling or English usage. No responsibility can be accepted for the use of this message as a guide to written English.
Discuss:
Photobucket

Farawyn
Rohan

Aug 28 2008, 1:36pm

Post #8 of 17 (168 views)
Shortcut
I heard Lynn, in RL, [In reply to] Can't Post

not as "Ellie" of course, is going through a separation or divorce from her husband of 32 years, often thought of as her "John" character, so I'm sure that has much to do with her stopping the strip at this point.
I'm very sad.

Disclaimer: The author of this message does not guarantee correct grammar, spelling or English usage. No responsibility can be accepted for the use of this message as a guide to written English.
Discuss:
Photobucket

Annael
Immortal

Aug 28 2008, 3:08pm

Post #9 of 17 (148 views)
Shortcut
that's sad [In reply to] Can't Post

it's always been the most true-to-life of the comic strips, and very gentle and nonpreachy.

My name is Annael, and I approved this message.

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Aug 28 2008, 3:10pm

Post #10 of 17 (149 views)
Shortcut
That's very sad. [In reply to] Can't Post

John reminds me so much of my own husband, being a garden railroader and all. :-(

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
"A Chance Meeting at Rivendell" and other stories

leleni at hotmail dot com

RosieLass
Valinor

Aug 28 2008, 5:55pm

Post #11 of 17 (136 views)
Shortcut
We don't take the paper anymore. [In reply to] Can't Post

So I don't see the comics unless we're at Mom and Dad's house.

I liked FBOFW better in the earlier days, when it was more of a "comic" strip and not so serious. Same for Funky Winkerbean. I'm just not into drawn-out, dramatic story lines.

"Rabbit's clever," said Pooh thoughtfully.
"Yes," said Piglet, "Rabbit's clever."
"And he has Brains."
"Yes," said Piglet, "Rabbit has Brains."
There was a long silence.
"I suppose," said Pooh, "that that's why he never understands anything."

- A. A. Milne

http://mallika.vox.com/

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Aug 29 2008, 1:40am

Post #12 of 17 (120 views)
Shortcut
Excellent! It's kinda like getting The Hobbit after LotR ;) [In reply to] Can't Post

This really is great news. What a brave and unique thing for a well-established artists to do with their very well-established world.

Very cool :)

sample

"Barney Snow was here." ~Hug like a hobbit!~ "In my heaven..."

TORn's Observations Lists

Anorien
Rohan

Aug 29 2008, 3:06am

Post #13 of 17 (117 views)
Shortcut
I agree [In reply to] Can't Post

I love this comic, I try to read it every day when eat breakafast. I didn't know that it was ending so soon though, I knew it was but I thought it would last to the end of the year. But they have been combining old comics with new comics in the Seattle times, so I guess it was a hint. I never even notice the dog wasn't there! I have kept up with the entire history of the comic and I've mainly been focused on Liz's wedding. So sad.

diedye
Grey Havens

Aug 29 2008, 12:39pm

Post #14 of 17 (123 views)
Shortcut
April's young... [In reply to] Can't Post

Perhaps by the time she does get married, FBOFW will have caught up time-wise. And maybe there will be a new generation to focus on... the Patterson grandkids.

(This post was edited by diedye on Aug 29 2008, 12:39pm)

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Aug 29 2008, 4:30pm

Post #15 of 17 (107 views)
Shortcut
I've loved this strip for years [In reply to] Can't Post

Lynn's kids have grown up along with mine. I feel I know them all. I was sorry to see that she was making changes, but on the other hand, she deserves a break from working so hard, and it will be a treat to see the older strips again.

I remember the sequence where Farley rescued April and then died as clearly as if I read it yesterday. A comic strip can be very powerful.

Do we walk in legends or on the green earth in the daylight?

A man may do both. For not we but those who come after will make the legends of our time. The green earth, say you? That is a mighty matter of legend, though you tread it under the light of day!

Kethry
Lorien

Aug 29 2008, 5:16pm

Post #16 of 17 (108 views)
Shortcut
Actually, she was planning on retirement, [In reply to] Can't Post

or at least the half-retirement of freezing the ages, focusing more on Micheal's children and also including old strips, and then her husband told her he wanted a divorce. That was I think last year, and then she decided that since she no longer had a person to travel with (which was the retirement plan), she would continue the comic strip. I hadn't heard that this weekend was the new restart. I'll have to find out about that...

"Any kind of plan where you lose your hat... is a bad plan."

'But it does not seem that I can trust anyone,' said Frodo.
Sam looked at him unhappily. 'It all depends on what you want,' put in Merry. 'You can trust us to stick to you through thick and thin - to the bitter end. And you can trust us to keep any secret of yours - closer than you keep it yourself. But you cannot trust us to let you face trouble alone, and go off without a word. We are your friends, Frodo.'

Annael
Immortal

Aug 29 2008, 6:28pm

Post #17 of 17 (119 views)
Shortcut
well I hope she realizes [In reply to] Can't Post

that one doesn't need a husband to travel!

My name is Annael, and I approved this message.

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.