The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Reading Room:
Arda Reconstructed Galleys

Voronwë_the_Faithful
Valinor

Aug 25 2008, 11:09pm

Post #1 of 10 (430 views)
Shortcut
Arda Reconstructed Galleys Can't Post

I received copies of the rough galleys today. Anyone who is interested in seeing scans of a few of the pages can check them out here (requires a Hall of Fire membership).

'But very bright were the stars upon the margin of the world, when at times the clouds about the West were drawn aside.'

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Aug 25 2008, 11:22pm

Post #2 of 10 (325 views)
Shortcut
When will your chapter be published in "Mythlore"? [In reply to] Can't Post

That's this fall, right?

Thanks for the update. How does it feel, to see your work professionally formatted? What most surprises you about its appearance?

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
We're discussing The Lord of the Rings in the Reading Room, Oct. 15, 2007 - Mar. 22, 2009!

Join us Aug. 18-24 for "Shelob's Lair".

+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=
How to find old Reading Room discussions.

Voronwë_the_Faithful
Valinor

Aug 25 2008, 11:32pm

Post #3 of 10 (319 views)
Shortcut
Yes, this fall [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
That's this fall, right?

Yes, it is scheduled to be in the fall issue, assuming there isn't any changes. I think that is due out in October, although I'm sure there is some fluidity.

In Reply To
Thanks for the update. How does it feel, to see your work professionally formatted? What most surprises you about its appearance?

Honestly? It feels like waking up from a dream and beginning to discover that it was real after all. I don't think I'll fully believe it until I actually hold the completed book in my hand. If then. Wink I must say, though, that it is really wonderful to work with such a professional organization. The process is painfully slow, but they are doing everything possible to guarantee that it is as high quality as possible, and that is really gratifying. Now it's up to me to make sure that every last detail is just right. This is really my very last opportunity to do so. That's a scary thought!Crazy

'But very bright were the stars upon the margin of the world, when at times the clouds about the West were drawn aside.'

Peredhil lover
Valinor

Aug 26 2008, 5:45am

Post #4 of 10 (308 views)
Shortcut
*smile* [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm so happy for you, Voronwe! It must be such a wonderful feeling, even if it's a bit surreal Wink

Take your time in proof-reading (that's what you're doing now, I think). Better a few days more and everything perfect than rushed and something overlooked.

We'll now have to get champagne to be ready and celebrate the moment the book is ready Smile

I do not suffer from LotR obsession - I enjoy every minute of it.

visualweasel
Rohan

Aug 26 2008, 2:20pm

Post #5 of 10 (300 views)
Shortcut
Fantastic! // [In reply to] Can't Post

Jason Fisher
Lingwë - Musings of a Fish

The Lord of the Rings discussion 2007-2008 – The Two Towers – III.4 “Treebeard” – Part 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Voronwë_the_Faithful
Valinor

Aug 26 2008, 2:32pm

Post #6 of 10 (296 views)
Shortcut
Thanks! [In reply to] Can't Post

That's very sweet of you to say! Smile I think it is all the more surreal because I never really set out to write a book in the first place. So seeing one develop before my very eyes is pretty amazing.

But a lot of work! (I'm finding a lot more errors in checking the proofs than I had hoped. Not my errors; errors in keying in the copyedits.)

Child of Manwe
Rivendell

Aug 26 2008, 3:10pm

Post #7 of 10 (303 views)
Shortcut
Another [In reply to] Can't Post

one of those darn newbie questions...

Is this an editing of the Sil...or is it you finishing all of Tolkien's un-finished manuscripts?

Did you put the Sil in modern day english?

(I think I know the answer to question 2 but I want to ask all the same)

"Fear, Fire, Foes...Awake! Awake!"

"Ash nazg durzag, ash nazg grimbaultuk..."

ringwraiths27

Peredhil lover
Valinor

Aug 26 2008, 3:49pm

Post #8 of 10 (306 views)
Shortcut
Another answer ;) [In reply to] Can't Post

It's not easy for a newbie to understand something that is based on posts made months ago, isn't it?

Here Voronwe announced that the books will be published and what it contains. Hope that helps to clarify the matter.

I do not suffer from LotR obsession - I enjoy every minute of it.

Voronwë_the_Faithful
Valinor

Aug 26 2008, 5:22pm

Post #9 of 10 (323 views)
Shortcut
Sorry [In reply to] Can't Post

Sorry for the confusion, Child of Manwe. As the link that Peredhil_Lover kindly provides shows, my book traces the construction of the published Silmarillion by Christopher Tolkien. I'll try to remember to link to the original post when I make further updates. I'm still not quite used to the format here.

Child of Manwe
Rivendell

Aug 27 2008, 1:05pm

Post #10 of 10 (305 views)
Shortcut
ooooooohhhhh k [In reply to] Can't Post

I understand now....

"Fear, Fire, Foes...Awake! Awake!"

"Ash nazg durzag, ash nazg grimbaultuk..."

ringwraiths27

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.