Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Lord of the Rings:
Did You Ever Notice... Eowyn's Riding Gown?

Arwen's daughter
Half-elven

Aug 23 2008, 4:04am

Post #1 of 8 (3916 views)
Shortcut
Did You Ever Notice... Eowyn's Riding Gown? Can't Post

Unfortunately, that is the only full-length image we have of this gown. This is the dress Eowyn ears when Aragorn discovers her sword as they ride to Dunharrow. It's a two piece outfit. The top is a quilted velvet bodice that buttons down the front with embroidered velvet sleeve sand a velvet cowl neck with embroidered trim. The embroidery and trimming are both flower motifs, the flower of Rohan which Ngila tried to incorporate whenever possible on Eowyn. The botton seems to be a split velvet skirt, but it could be wide pants. Both top and bottom seem to be made out of silk velvet (my guess from pictures), which is unusual as Ngila uses cotton velvet on Eowyn everywhere else. She tried to keep elves in silks and men in cottons and linen. She wears a beautifully tooled leather belt with two long strands hanging from it.

My apologies for the poor pictures again this week.

You can see the quilting in the bodice here if you look closely:

The full length of the bodice:

The neckline:

This is the best shot of the sleeve embroidery:

If you look closely, you can see that the sleeves button with tiny gold buttons:

A fuzzy shot of the belt:

As always, more pictures and details at AlleyCatScratch and the Costumer's Guide.

So, any thoughts on this dress?

Did You Ever Notice? is a running discussion looking at the detail in LOTR one costume at a time. It appears on no particular day and follows no particular order. You can always find past discussions at my Costume Discussion Archive.

My LiveJournal
My Costuming Site
TORn's Costume Discussions Archive
August Screencap of the Day Schedule

Elven
Valinor

Aug 23 2008, 9:10am

Post #2 of 8 (2466 views)
Shortcut
This is a beuatiful riding outfit. [In reply to] Can't Post

Its a shame there are so few photos available of its full length - especially to see what shoes or boots she wore with this.
My favourite thing is the enbroidery and the buttons on the sleeves.

In the photo where Eowyn is seen from behind, there looks as if the skirt (or pants) have some embroidery down the back centre - I thought I could just see the beginning of it after the end of the vest ...

The colour of the velvet is beautiful - I wonder if this also went through the many dying processes to come up with this?
It suits Eowyn and her colourings.

The belts are really nice - I never noticed the long silk extensions from the leather band - beautiful!

Thank you Arwen's Daughter!
This one os a real treat to see!

Cheers
Elven x

Were off to Hobbiton finally!

Tolkien was a Capricorn!!
Russell Crowe for Beorn!!

Quote of The Week: A I LOVE cats and I love TV. And I love to watch cats on TV. Ron Perlman

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Aug 23 2008, 4:01pm

Post #3 of 8 (2409 views)
Shortcut
Gorgeous [In reply to] Can't Post

I think I'll pop TTT in just now.

She sure moved around alot lol.

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Aug 24 2008, 3:30pm

Post #4 of 8 (2395 views)
Shortcut
Wow! I'd never seen such complete pics of this before! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm so excited! This dress is so much more beautiful than I ever noticed. It reminds me of Arwen's riding outfit. They each embrace the defining styles of their wardrobe, but are so unique to their purpose with great looks. This is gorgeous!

The belt and details of the outfit are like a hidden treat to oggle over. This is SO COOL! THANK YOU!

sample

"Barney Snow was here." ~Hug like a hobbit!~ "In my heaven..."

TORn's Observations Lists

Artanis
Rohan

Aug 24 2008, 8:34pm

Post #5 of 8 (2414 views)
Shortcut
I do [In reply to] Can't Post

like the sleeves on the outfit. I also love the way her hair is done in this scene.

Miranda Otto's features seem to bring the gown to life, her lovely golden hair is a lovely contrast against the dress and compliments it beautifully.

Artanis

Reading: I, Robot - Isaac Asimov, J. Hudson Taylor A Man in Christ - Roger Steer

Listening: Downhere -Wide Eyed and Mystified, The Silmarillion, Eden's Bridge - Celtic Worship

Random Delights: Tea, chocolate, Lavendar plants and TORn

weaver
Half-elven

Aug 24 2008, 11:22pm

Post #6 of 8 (2392 views)
Shortcut
I really like this outfit... [In reply to] Can't Post

Did she only wear this once? It really suits Miranda Otto, doesn't it?

Love the embroidery detail.

I don't have a "riding gown", but if I was looking for one, I'd pick this one!

Thanks as always for these posts!

Weaver

Starling
Half-elven

Aug 25 2008, 3:20am

Post #7 of 8 (2445 views)
Shortcut
Aren't the sleeves fantastic? [In reply to] Can't Post

The embroidery is gorgeous and so detailed. I love these posts and the chance to have a good look at these costumes. Often I am aware of the costume but haven't really noticed details despite repeated viewings, as I am busy following other details in the scene.
Thanks once again.

frederica bolger
Lorien

Aug 27 2008, 11:18am

Post #8 of 8 (2381 views)
Shortcut
hmm, interesting... [In reply to] Can't Post

...this gorgeous gown really outlines the ceremonial function, the custom to formally 'farewell the men', but we know that somewhere under this gown, there is a sword. And then, she re-appears in chainmail armour and rider's cloak. Where did she nick that? As we don't have Elfhelm in the movie, we can just assume that others were in on her plans too and provided the fighting outfit...

Rain may fall and wind may blow
And many miles be still to go
But under a tall tree I will lie
And watch the clouds go sailing by.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.