Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
Kristin Thompson TE/NL Lawsuit summary.

Elven
Valinor

Aug 22 2008, 12:47pm

Post #1 of 9 (1164 views)
Shortcut
Kristin Thompson TE/NL Lawsuit summary. Can't Post

the Frodo Franchise has a new blog on a summary of the Tolkien Estate New Line Lawsuit ...
http://www.kristinthompson.net/blog/?p=338

Happy reading Smile

Cheers
Elven

Were off to Hobbiton finally!

Tolkien was a Capricorn!!
Russell Crowe for Beorn!!

Quote of The Week: A I LOVE cats and I love TV. And I love to watch cats on TV. Ron Perlman

Voronwë_the_Faithful
Valinor

Aug 22 2008, 2:43pm

Post #2 of 9 (495 views)
Shortcut
It's a Good Summary [In reply to] Can't Post

And not just because she cites me. Wink I was particularly interested in her discussion of the Agreements, a subject that she knows much more about than I do.

Thanks for posting that, Elven!

'But very bright were the stars upon the margin of the world, when at times the clouds about the West were drawn aside.'

Elven
Valinor

Aug 22 2008, 3:02pm

Post #3 of 9 (429 views)
Shortcut
Now to wait for the 'Birthday' decision :D // [In reply to] Can't Post

Quote of The Week: A I LOVE cats and I love TV. And I love to watch cats on TV. Ron Perlman

Annael
Half-elven

Aug 22 2008, 3:06pm

Post #4 of 9 (466 views)
Shortcut
side question [In reply to] Can't Post

My niece graduated from law school a couple of years ago, and she sat for the New York bar even though she doesn't live there (as well as the bar where she is). She said it was always a good idea to qualify as a lawyer for New York. This article gives me a hint as to why: New York law may apply in other states sometimes. True?

My name is Annael, and I approved this message.

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

Elven
Valinor

Aug 22 2008, 6:04pm

Post #5 of 9 (390 views)
Shortcut
I wondered how that worked too ... [In reply to] Can't Post

good question!
New York Laws applying to cases held in CA?
Voronwe the Faithful Cool ...

Peredhil lover
Valinor

Aug 22 2008, 7:54pm

Post #6 of 9 (432 views)
Shortcut
Interesting [In reply to] Can't Post

Another good summary, as Voronwë said. I really hope Kristin is writing another book about all this - the lawsuit and the making of the Hobbit and F2 and all that - when all is said and done in a few years. (Voronwë could co-write the lawsuit part ;-)) It would be great to have everything in one place.

I do not suffer from LotR obsession - I enjoy every minute of it.

Smeagirl/Girllum
Gondor

Aug 23 2008, 12:49am

Post #7 of 9 (398 views)
Shortcut
Her site seems to be down. :-( // [In reply to] Can't Post

"There was among them a family of high repute, for it was large and wealthier than most, and it was ruled by a grandmother of the folk, stern and wise in old lore, such as they had. The most inquisitive and curious minded of that family was called Sméagol."

Voronwë_the_Faithful
Valinor

Aug 23 2008, 1:50am

Post #8 of 9 (361 views)
Shortcut
Not really true, I'm afraid [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
My niece graduated from law school a couple of years ago, and she sat for the New York bar even though she doesn't live there (as well as the bar where she is). She said it was always a good idea to qualify as a lawyer for New York. This article gives me a hint as to why: New York law may apply in other states sometimes. True?

The reason why New York law applies in this case is that the Agreements specify that New York law should be applied. It could equally be the case that an agreement would specify that California law would apply. There is no particular reason why New York law would apply in other states other than in a situation where an agreement so provides. If someone is going into entertainment law it would be a good idea to sit for the California Bar, and after that the New York bar. There are certainly other areas where New York law would be useful (for instance if you were dealing with the financial markets).

'But very bright were the stars upon the margin of the world, when at times the clouds about the West were drawn aside.'

Peredhil lover
Valinor

Aug 23 2008, 5:05am

Post #9 of 9 (371 views)
Shortcut
Must have been temporary - it is back // [In reply to] Can't Post

I do not suffer from LotR obsession - I enjoy every minute of it.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.