Yes, we do need the titles. [In reply to] Can't Post

Try viewing the boards Threaded and you'll see why. Smile

teddiwen
The Shire

Aug 20 2008, 4:25am

Post #52 of 118 (1256 views)
Shortcut
I just can't change my spots [In reply to] Can't Post

Reminds me of the old boards, which for some reason I just could never visually adapt to. They confused me so much I lurked and rarely posted. I admin on another board and just am so used to the none reply to format (meaning all replies in a thread are to the first). I suppose this way has it's advantages, but I tend to read each and every reply to a thread!

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Aug 20 2008, 5:08am

Post #53 of 118 (1243 views)
Shortcut
That's exactly why [In reply to] Can't Post

we made both viewing options available on these boards, so we could accomodate both preferences. It just means we have to remember that not everyone sees things the same and make allowances for each other. Sort of a metaphor for life, really. Cool

leo
Rohan

Aug 20 2008, 7:23am

Post #54 of 118 (1249 views)
Shortcut
The test told me I am ESTJ, but... [In reply to] Can't Post

... I found it a very difficult test. A lot of questions seemed the same to me. And it being in English didn't help at all ;-)

And I see people like Bruce Willis and George W. Bush are ESTJ's too, so I'm not sure I fit into that category...

Rosie-with-the-ribbons
Forum Admin / Moderator

Aug 20 2008, 9:49am

Post #55 of 118 (1271 views)
Shortcut
ISFJ [In reply to] Can't Post

Great test. I like to take these tests, but usually the outcome is really not me. This time, really spot on. I work as a secretary (and work to much and do to much things). As soon as my parents, brother, friends, colleagues (etc.) just give a yell that they need some help, I'm there. But my hobbies are mostly things I can do just by myself, and I'm not the person to go talk to strangers or mingle at parties. So this description really fits me.

"According to Keirsey, ISFJs, or "Protector Guardians", are most concerned with taking care of people by keeping them safe and secure. They are modest caretakers who do not demand credit or thanks for their efforts. But while they are essentially very compassionate—and in fact exercise more patience in dealing with the disabled than perhaps any other type—their shyness with strangers can lead others to misread them as standoffish. Only among friends and family may this quiet type feel comfortable speaking freely. ISFJs are serious people with a strong work ethic, not inclined to self-indulgence. They believe in being meticulous and thrifty. They work well alone. While they may enjoy taking care of others, they do not enjoy giving orders."

orcbane
Gondor

Aug 20 2008, 2:18pm

Post #56 of 118 (1249 views)
Shortcut
Judging. Good things with bad names [In reply to] Can't Post

There is another aspect of judging, talked about within the descriptions of types. It helped clarify something to me in my own life. When I first meet anyone, or any organization, my first and most important concern is to ascertain the intentions of the person. Do they mean ill, or might they go that way? And if I suspect that, I will go on guard to minimalize any damage they might do. Everyone else thinks they are at a party. I am poised for war.

It used to bother me, in that the idea of judging another person can be a wrong in itself, but I do it all the time. Conversely I am always drawn to people different then myself. Their different attitudes, beliefs, culture, etc is something I find both fascinating and usually I can learn good things from them. I like different. But I think I was mixing up too different types.

A key piece, is I hate only one thing in life. Those that harm others. But when its tapped, its pretty intense. But how could this be, if I don't myself actually like being around others. I really have thought I must have a deep hypocritical vein. These analysis's if true, tell me that it is somewhat normal to be this way, stuck with this model, so to speak. Although I may be hanging out flapping on the ragged edge of the bell curve. Laugh

(This post was edited by orcbane on Aug 20 2008, 2:20pm)

Dreamdeer
Valinor

Aug 20 2008, 2:50pm

Post #57 of 118 (1242 views)
Shortcut
That does make sense [In reply to] Can't Post

I suppose I thought of judging in a moral sense--is this a good person or a bad person? But I do assess people all the time, without passing judgment morally: what is this person or that likely to do under these circumstances? Everyone has their virtues and faults--I just want to make sure that theirs and mine don't clash.

In terms of the tests in general, I really wish they had scores specifically for those who score close to the middle on something, because the only two things that are ever consistent with me on these tests is 1) I am always intuitive, and 2) I always score close to the middle on everything else. There ought to be something for fence-sitter personalities!

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Aug 20 2008, 7:26pm

Post #58 of 118 (1216 views)
Shortcut
Well [In reply to] Can't Post

it's more common to use the word "judgment" to mean "condemnation", which is why it tends to rub us the wrong way. But really, we all make rational and value judgments from the moment we wake up until we go to sleep at night. We make a choice of what we will wear - then we look in the mirror and make a judgment on it. We judge all of our choices, and those of others; did they have the intended effect, were the results pleasing/harmful, etc.

Judging is about analysis rather than feeling. Everyone makes judgment calls, but those with the Judging temperament tend to consciously sort things/people into mental categories so they can deal with them appropriately. Sometimes the judgment is at fault, of course, and then one needs to re-analyize/judge the judging criteria.... WinkCool

acheron
Gondor

Aug 20 2008, 7:50pm

Post #59 of 118 (1232 views)
Shortcut
*I*SFJ [In reply to] Can't Post

Extremely introverted, moderately S and J, split between T/F. Reading the descriptions though, ISFJ sounds way more accurate than ISTJ.

(This post was edited by acheron on Aug 20 2008, 7:51pm)

Morrowdim
Rivendell

Aug 21 2008, 6:23am

Post #60 of 118 (1205 views)
Shortcut
That describes her pretty well. [In reply to] Can't Post

As her mother, I think I would have described her that way even without the test.

ArathornJax
Lorien

Aug 21 2008, 6:27am

Post #61 of 118 (1194 views)
Shortcut
I'm an [In reply to] Can't Post

ENFJ . . . fits really well with my career currently. I will say this. In business I took this and got a completely different result, one that fitted more closely to my career and the personality I needed for that career. At the time over 15 years ago or so I was an ENTJ and now I find I've moved to an ENFJ. Rather interesting I think.

Morrowdim
Rivendell

Aug 21 2008, 6:41am

Post #62 of 118 (1311 views)
Shortcut
Add another INTJ to the mix. [In reply to] Can't Post

I took one of these tests a few years ago. Never before had a personality test come even close to describing me for who I am. This one hit the nail right on the head. This has really helped me see why I tend to feel like the odd-person in a group and why I was continually being perplexed by situations where I have had to deal with other people who could not step outside themselves and look at a the bare facts of a situation without emotional involvement. Sure, I still want to beat my head against my desk from time to time, but at least now I know what I'm facing and why it is driving me nuts and that gives me the tools I need to find a better approach to potential problems. Most of all, I think it has helped me understand where my own strengths lie and helped me appreciate my personal abilities better.

Smeagirl/Girllum
Gondor

Aug 21 2008, 12:52pm

Post #63 of 118 (1223 views)
Shortcut
Hrmph, poll assumes just one personality. [In reply to] Can't Post

We're mostly INTJ, according to the test you linked. But IIRC, one of the letters was different last time I (we) took one of these. I'll have to look for where I wrote it down. There are always several questions where I could go either way.

When I clicked on "INTJ type description by D.Keirsey" on the results page, it says "Masterminds [INTJ's] are rare, comprising no more than, say, one percent of the population . . ." But this TORn poll is currently at 9% INTJ's. So are TORnsibs more likely to be INTJ's, or is there a flaw in the test?

Definitely an interesting topic in any case.

orcbane
Gondor

Aug 21 2008, 1:14pm

Post #64 of 118 (1196 views)
Shortcut
Now, don't tell me [In reply to] Can't Post

that this is for the Rubes! Laugh

We are all rare and admirable and must feel good about ourselfves.

But I had noticed they didn't give a list of infamous people with our types.

Elberbeth
Tol Eressea

Aug 21 2008, 4:50pm

Post #65 of 118 (1227 views)
Shortcut
ISFJ *this* time [In reply to] Can't Post

but I've done these before at seminars and every time they come out a little different. I think it has a whole lot to do with how you're thinking at the particular time you take the test. Other colleagues have said the same thing.

sherlock
Gondor

Aug 21 2008, 7:46pm

Post #66 of 118 (1186 views)
Shortcut
Me too. [In reply to] Can't Post

I took this text about 15 years ago but can't remember what I was then. It would be interesting to know if I'm the same.

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Aug 21 2008, 8:07pm

Post #67 of 118 (1221 views)
Shortcut
I've always thought that TORNadoes [In reply to] Can't Post

were a brilliantly unusual brand of fan. This just confirms it. You may have noticed how many people, when asked how they came to TORn, say something on the theme of "...and then I came here, and found people like me and who like what I like, and I've been here ever since!". It gets lonely being in that tiny percentile. Here we find that we're not alone.

I think it's a case of being a place that functions in a way that appeals to the I-Js and attracts them. As introverts, we like the ability to lurk until we have something to contribute, and the relative space and freedom to ponder it before we do. And the Judging aspect certainly lends itself to dissection and discussion of minutia, which is what keeps the discussions going year after year between major news events.

I expect more extroverts will arrive as we get closer to the release date, as in my experience they are the ones who often get bored when there's no news, only quiet discussion. They'll rush back in when the "action" starts. Wink

Menelwyn
Rohan

Aug 21 2008, 8:54pm

Post #68 of 118 (1206 views)
Shortcut
me too! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm yet another one of us. I really like this description of my type, and identify with nearly all of it except for the near-ESP abilities it describes. I do seem to "get" people fairly quickly, but I'd never call myself psychic, even figuratively.

If I get time later, I'll have to post another INFJ description I like.

And I must say, knowing something about the Myers-Briggs system (*winks at laerasea*) I am absolutely fascinated by how many of us of this type have turned up here!

Laerasëa
Tol Eressea

Aug 22 2008, 12:15am

Post #69 of 118 (1178 views)
Shortcut
It looks like your prediction came true! :-) // [In reply to] Can't Post

Laerasëa
Tol Eressea

Aug 22 2008, 12:26am

Post #70 of 118 (1195 views)
Shortcut
*clears throat* [In reply to] Can't Post

I expect more extroverts will arrive as we get closer to the release date, as in my experience they are the ones who often get bored when there's no news, only quiet discussion.

I've been here since January or February!! But you're right, I still kind of agree. I'm a wee bit in the minority here, but after listening to the wise prediction of my teacher on MBTI (*winks back at Menelwyn*), I wasn't too surprised to see the way things worked out here.

I'm not sure if I said this in another post on here, or in a discussion with someone else, but I think Introverts like it here, becuase, as you said- they can not only reply whenever they want to, but they can also edit their posts, or get them deleted. You can't take back what you say in RL, but in a way, you can do that here, which therefore makes the place a bit "safer" to speak in. That's my theory, anyway, but I'm a ten-zero Extravert, so I could be totally wrong. I also think Judgers like the editing bonus that comes with being on a forum. I like having nice grammar and all that, but I'm kind of the goddess of careless, overlooked mistakes- someone on here said that I must write the way that I really talk, and I think I honestly do. I use really long run-on sentences, make grammar mistakes and correct them in the same breath, and repeat myself often. In that sense, a forum where I can edit is not as "cool" to me as it would be for a Judger, I think.

But, as an extravert, let me just say that I really like being on here, and talking with yall, and all that! A very fun and intersting group of people, I think! Smile

orcbane
Gondor

Aug 22 2008, 12:39am

Post #71 of 118 (1197 views)
Shortcut
Silverlode, do you always have to be so dang reasonable ? [In reply to] Can't Post

INFJ's rule!

Just kidding! Laugh Your a stout mod & patient & I think your pretty OK.

Menelwyn
Rohan

Aug 22 2008, 12:46am

Post #72 of 118 (1189 views)
Shortcut
personal theory on Tolkien [In reply to] Can't Post

Guessing about historical figures is a dangerous game. I read what certain MBTI types have said about certain historical people and am totally surprised. But, caveat aside, my personal theory is that Tolkien was an INFP. I'm least certain about the Introvert bit, considering his circle of friends, but many introverts (including myself) are very sociable and outgoing with their good friends, but then re-charge when they are alone. And I think that might have been true of Tolkien. Everything about his writing tells me he's got that NF combination. I judge (haha) him as a Perceiver based on his constant re-writing of his stories and his dislike of (inability to?) finally settling on anything he wrote. Thank goodness he finally got LOTR into a form he was satisfied with! But his 60 years of work on the Silmarillion material seem highly characteristic of a P.

Now here's a challenge: figure out the type of the LOTR characters!

weaver
Half-elven

Aug 22 2008, 1:16am

Post #73 of 118 (1204 views)
Shortcut
ENFJ, the first time anyway... [In reply to] Can't Post

I did it again and must have changed one answer, as it came up ENFP. So, I'm a ENFJ/P I guess..

I went on to look at the career things that fit the profile and many were things I've done or thought about doing. The common thread was that they all had to do with being a good relationship builder, which is something I get told a lot that I am..(I think that made sense in a Yoda-sort-of-way).

I'm with others though who said that your mood probably does affect your answers. If I had taken this earlier this summer, when I was rather burned out by many things, and wanting a lot of alone time, I would have answered much differently, perhaps!

Thanks for posting this -- fun poll!

Radhruin
Rohan

Aug 22 2008, 1:45am

Post #74 of 118 (1189 views)
Shortcut
In that case, [In reply to] Can't Post

I like the company I am in. Wink I seem to be the lone INFP of those who have responded.

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Aug 22 2008, 3:09am

Post #75 of 118 (1181 views)
Shortcut
Of course... [In reply to] Can't Post

I didn't mean to imply that we don't have any Extraverts here. We certainly do *coughGrammacough*, and we enjoy them very much. And they really help in keeping the conversations going! But I suspect that percentage-wise, they make up a much larger chunk of the big waves of newbies we get near release-time than they do of the regulars who stick around in the quiet in-between times. That's all.

We love having you here too - definitely stick around and represent for all the Extraverts who are missing out! HeartCool

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.