The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
Philosophy, Literature, and LOTR- Week One

Ainu Laire
Tol Eressea

Aug 21 2008, 4:51am

Post #1 of 23 (1056 views)
Shortcut
Philosophy, Literature, and LOTR- Week One Can't Post

Hey folks! I just started my first year in college, and my community college has an interesting program that they do. A few select classes base their curriculum around a certain subject, and follow it throughout the whole term. My English and philosophy class are basing the whole term on Lord of the Rings. Both classes are back to back (though taught by different teachers), and are taught in the same room. You are required to take both classes to be part of this. I have these classes every Monday and Wednesday, and I thought I would do a weekly thread on what we discuss in class- and, of course, hear your own opinions on what we discuss.

A bit more on the class. The class size is pretty darn big, and due to the fact that there is a whopping 50 students in these classes, and each individual class is only an hour and 20 minutes long, you are lucky if you get to be able to speak twice during the one class time. Participation is vital to your grade in both classes, so the professors try to get in as many students as possible. The courses actually require a pretty large amount of work, especially if the student isn't familiar with LOTR, so I'm sort of hoping that some students drop so I can participate more. A bit selfish, but hey, it's my dream class :D

I am also the youngest student in the class. The English class is M01B, and M01A is required first. I took the latter this summer just to make it in this class, and it looks like I'm the only freshman who did that. Because it's community college, the oldest students look to be in their 40s. I'd say that the average age of the students is mid 20s. Interestingly enough, about only half of the class has read LOTR before, and there are even a couple of students who haven't seen the movies. They took the class strictly for the professors (who are very, very popular, according to RateMyProfessors.com).

Philosophy is the first class. On Monday the professor brought in a standee of Aragorn, which was joked about by the other professor and the students all throughout class. She gave us the syllabus, and guess what was listed under "Helpful Websites"? Yep, good ol TORn. Because it was the first day not too much discussion was done, but that changed completely today, Wednesday's class. The discussion we had today was on a text's meaning. We were to assume that a text had one true meaning, and then we were presented with a question: Is the true meaning of the text come from what the author intended, what is strictly written in the text itself, or what the reader wants it to be? She asked this question for three texts: LOTR, the US Constitution, and the Bible. Disregarding the Bible and Constitution arguments for now (though argument about who the author of the Bible was was really interesting), I'll focus on LOTR.

It was interesting to see how much everyone's opinion differed. The numbers were close when we originally took the vote, though the majority ended up with the students believing that the reader gets to decide what the meaning is. Now, one thing that must be said about the professor is that she is *good*. She argued against everyone's point very well. Making for an interesting discussion? Yes. Frustrating? Absolutely. One argument she repeated a couple of times is that both the author and the reader cannot read completely contradictory things in the text and both be right, for that would make the text meaningless. This is, of course, assuming that there *is* a true meaning, and only one in the text. I have found that you really have to be open to other's opinions in order to be able to be in this class; otherwise you will go absolutely insane. :)

So, what do you all think? Does a text's true meaning come from the author, the actual text, or the reader? Can the text have a meaning if there is no one to read it? Does the one who decides the text's meaning change with the text (Bible, the US Constitution, and LOTR, for instance)?

Now, English. English was just as interesting as philosophy. Again, the first day we did not do much, but we did start a conversation on "What is literature"? Where this went was really interesting. We somehow ended up talking about graffiti, and wondering if, since it has words, it can count for literature. Can a car manual also be considered literature? The general consensus, from what I saw, is that a car manual can be literature, but graffiti falls under a different category of art. One student brought up the point that literature is just in the big "art" umbrella. Do you agree- is a car manual also art, then?

Wednesday we got our syllabus. By Monday, Sept 17th we need to be done with FOTR, October 8th TTT, and Oct 29th ROTK. It's heavy reading for first time readers. I was amused by all the "this is boring" comments I heard when people were reading the Prologue. A couple people told them that it gets better once the actual book starts. *g* For me, I know the book like the back of my hand, because I am always using it as a source when I write fan fic. Nonetheless, I'll likely read along. I already finished chapter one.

After all of the official stuff was done, we moved on to "What is great literature?" The opinions here differed just as much as they did in philosophy. Some believed that they are defined by society as a whole, while others believed that it doesn't have to have a big group of followers to be great. One student said that there is no such thing as great literature because everyone needs to agree on it to be great, and that will never happen. I don't think most people agreed with him, though. In the end it ended up with a discussion of opinions and whose opinions count the most. The scale looked to be ranging from "Everyone's opinion is equal, despite age or knowledge on the subject" to "The experts have the greatest opinion and other's opinions matter little, if at all". Most people seem to be in the middle of the scale.

So, now here's to you, TORn: What is "literature"? What is "great literature"?

I have my first paper due on Monday. First paper's prompt: "What attracts you to LOTR? What do you like about it? What do you hope the class will cover?" I don't even know where to begin... and I'm not sure if I can limit it to 2 pages double spaced :P

If people enjoyed reading this, I'll continue with week 2 next week. I'm sure the class is only bound to get more interesting.

My LJ
My art site
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
NARF since age 8, when I refused to read the Hobbit because the cover looked boring and icky.

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Aug 21 2008, 5:26am

Post #2 of 23 (663 views)
Shortcut
Wow, do you have some fun debates ahead of you! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm imagining your class breaking out into smaller groups after-hours with a mixture of first-time readers and long-time fans, and arguing til dawn on concepts old an new. Fun times! :D

Now, one thing that must be said about the professor is that she is *good*. She argued against everyone's point very well. Making for an interesting discussion? Yes. Frustrating? Absolutely. One argument she repeated a couple of times is that both the author and the reader cannot read completely contradictory things in the text and both be right, for that would make the text meaningless.

I'm afraid my concrete-thinking ISTJ self would go mad very quickly in this class!

Does a text's true meaning come from the author, the actual text, or the reader?

The true intent is from the author, but he/she has no say how a reader takes the meaning - and to a reader, that is the ultimate truth (whether or not the received meaning has been altered by additional knowledge about the author's intent). A book is like a child: You send it out into the world to make its own way, and an author doesn't know what paths it will end up taking.

Can the text have a meaning if there is no one to read it?

Of course. I think can exist without a human being seeing and understanding it - we aren't that all-important to reality.

What is "literature"? What is "great literature"?

I would say literature is a written art that informs the human condition - the shape that art takes is irrelevant. Great literature? Maybe literature that is recognised widely as defining a moment in time for a nation or nations. (I'm not wedded to this definition - just thinking aloud).

Great questions Ainu! I look forward to seeing more posts from you about this class. :)

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded b*****d with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

CAhobbit
Rohan

Aug 21 2008, 5:34am

Post #3 of 23 (661 views)
Shortcut
I'm curious.... [In reply to] Can't Post

which community college are you attending? What professors are teaching you Phil. and English class? I suspect that you're taking classes from professors I had a few years ago. I want to see if I'm right. Cool

Do not meddle in the affairs of hobbits for we can bite your kneecaps off!

CAhobbit's flickr page

CAhobbit's myspace

ArathornJax
Lorien

Aug 21 2008, 5:44am

Post #4 of 23 (661 views)
Shortcut
Literary Theory [In reply to] Can't Post

It looks like your professor or teacher (if they don't have the PhD) is taking you on a journey of literary theory and how it applies to the LOTR and other works (the Bible). Is the Reader Response the most correct where the meaning the reader derives from the text the real meaning or is it the New Criticism approach which "views the work of literature as an aesthetic object independent of historical context and as a unifing whole that reflects the unifying sensibility of the artist?" Learning literary theory will help you to understand where your English professors/teachers are coming from, and the arguments they use to counter stances taken on other positions.
I think if you look at these boards in the reading room you will find elements of several of the main literary theories that seem to float around. It seems that the Readers Response method is the method I see used the most on message boards, because it is the natural state that many readers automatically fall into.

As for me, LOTR is all about the Marxist Literary Criticism. The Marxist theory focuses on the representation of class conflict as well as the reinforcement of class distinctions through the medium of literature. LOTR is all about class conflict and the reinforcement of those class distinctions throughout the book. It is quite evident that Frodo, Merry and Pippin are of a higher social and economic class than Sam. This is seen in the book via the deference that Sam gives to each of his hobbit companions at different times on the journey. The Elves and the dwarves also represent this notion of class conflict . . . . Nevermind, just joking, this is not my view on the LOTR, BUT one must be able to format an argument using that theory and then be able to defend it, not matter which theory is used or chosen. That also helps a student to understand the arguments presented from the other side so that they can respond to them in their own position and in their own theory.

To answer the question though. For me though in real day to day life, I think it is actually a combination of theories that work for me. I strongly believe that a reader brings their own life experience, "context" to any novel they read. As such the novel will speak to them differently then at another time as their own experience and "context" changes. As a reader gains knowledge of the intentions of the author and the background of the author into the work, that enhances and changes the "context" and new ideas and thoughts are formed. IF a reader studies language and etymology, and what words meant when the literature was written, versus today, and the context of the word when the text was written, an even deeper meaning of the text is arrived at, yet again changing "context." So I guess I answered by stating that both. The meaning/context of the text will change as the individual changes, grows in knowledge and personal experience and learns more of the author's purpose and designs. In the end though, meaning is made by those who read. Those who debate how that meaning is made can be called many things, but either professional student or student for life are both a good start in my opinion. Enjoy your class, sounds like a blast!

" . . . (we are ) too engrossed in thinking of everything as a preparation or training or making one fit -- for what? At any minute it is what we are and are doing, not what we plan to be and do that counts."

J.R.R. Tolkien in his 6 October 1940 letter to his son Michael Tolkien.

Come over to the LOTR Movie Thread and discuss the 1981 BBC Adaptation of the LOTR.

Ainu Laire
Tol Eressea

Aug 21 2008, 5:51am

Post #5 of 23 (661 views)
Shortcut
Moorpark [In reply to] Can't Post

Daurio, and Slattum :) They are brilliant. And I told Prof Daurio that I'll be posting here; I wonder if she'll take a peek.

My LJ
My art site
NARF since age 8, when I refused to read the Hobbit because the cover looked boring and icky.

CAhobbit
Rohan

Aug 21 2008, 5:57am

Post #6 of 23 (660 views)
Shortcut
Ah ha! [In reply to] Can't Post

I thought so. Dr. Daurio is just brilliant. A really great professor and person. I don't think I ever took Slattum though (the name isn't ringing a bell). I started a combined LOTR phil/English class with her and another English professor many years ago. Unfortunately I couldn't finish the class due to car problems (had to scratch that entire semester) but from the few weeks I could take it I adored it. I also took a few philosophy classes that she taught as well (before the LOTR class) and really loved those as well (I recommend her World Religions class, if she still teaches it).

Oh and you'll LOVE the art classes at Moorpark and I recommend dabbling into the performing arts classes if you're so inclined (the tap classes are the best!).

Do not meddle in the affairs of hobbits for we can bite your kneecaps off!

CAhobbit's flickr page

CAhobbit's myspace

Ainu Laire
Tol Eressea

Aug 21 2008, 6:17am

Post #7 of 23 (651 views)
Shortcut
It's an excellent learning experience for me [In reply to] Can't Post

In the past debates have been very difficult for me, but over the last few years I have learned to calm myself and not get so frustrated. It was particularly bad in my earlier days of high school... but I think this will be a great learning experience, and a way to allow me to grow some more, and most definitely mature some more. It's so nice to be with adults, to say the least. In the end, I have realized that even if I may not agree with them and they argue better than I do, it doesn't make my opinion invalid. I don't think I can argue better than my professors, anyhow. I'll just do my best.

As for LOTR arguments... I'm not sure if I am eagerly anticipating or greatly dreading the Tom Bombadil and Balrog/wings arguments xD

And I'm glad you like the questions. They are the ones presented by others in the class. I'm afraid I'm not quite that clever. Laugh

The answer to your first question was also brought up in class, and while I respect, for example, Tolkien's PoV, I agree that it's up for the reader to decide. Do you still feel it's up for the reader to decide with text such as the US Constitution and the Bible as well, or just fiction?

Interesting response to the second question. A few students would disagree with you on that point. I myself have absolutely no idea where I fall. And I'm the same way with the third question- I'm still making up my mind. I'm partially convinced, though, that the "literary geniuses" that choose "great lit" for grade school readings sometimes have absolutely no idea what they're talking about ;)

Thanks for the great response!

My LJ
My art site

Ainu Laire
Tol Eressea

Aug 21 2008, 6:24am

Post #8 of 23 (649 views)
Shortcut
She is great [In reply to] Can't Post

It really seems that a chunk of the students in the class are there for her rather than LOTR. It's awesome that she attracts such passion. Slattum, too, is an excellent combination. He makes us think just as much as Daurio. If I have the time, or have need of another philosophy class, I'll definitely look into her again.

I am taking Moorpark strictly to get all of my GE classes out of the way, but because I did complete a couple AP classes, I may have time for art classes. I want to get out in 2 years, so we'll see. When I went to a Moorpark orientation for art majors as a junior in HS, I was really disappointed by what they offered in the art part of the program. However, you aren't the first that has told me good about the arts there, so maybe it was just a bad year.

I like performing (acting and such- my last play for the summer is in Ventura this Sunday) but I have absolutely no grace nor musical talent. I'll look into the acting, however, if I need another elective.

My LJ
My art site

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Aug 21 2008, 7:00am

Post #9 of 23 (653 views)
Shortcut
LOTR vs the US Constitution [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Do you still feel it's up for the reader to decide with text such as the US Constitution and the Bible as well, or just fiction?

Perhaps, as you suggest, the telling point is that LOTR is fiction - an exploration of possibilities - and the US Constitution is a document of absolutes (clarifying court cases aside). How a person approaches a religious text can be either 'fiction' or 'absolute' depending on their point of view of that particular text.

Your teachers are cunning, young padawan.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded b*****d with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Earl
Forum Admin / Moderator

Aug 21 2008, 7:21am

Post #10 of 23 (645 views)
Shortcut
I'm already loving this topic [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for sharing with us Ainu Laire. My vote's with you for making this a regular feature (as and when time permits).

A little backstory though. Being a Christian, I've always been drawn to think about how Tolkien's works were effected by the religion (he was a devout Catholic), whether intentionally or not. Not that I'm not open to other interpretations or anything, it's just something personal that I looked for in Tolkien's works. And I think one of the reasons I'm drawn to them is because I realized his works are filled with the "philosophy" that originates from the Bible. But again, that's just me and I enjoy listening to, and debating (among friends), other interpretations drawn from a subjective train of thought based on different religions, beliefs, and lifestyles. Well, when I answer your questions, I'll probably refer to LOTR but it mostly applies to other works by Tolkien as well.

Does a text's true meaning come from the author, the actual text, or the reader?

I suppose it's a subtle mixture of them all. That's something that keeps LOTR alive, for me. I can read the same book twice in a year but because my life is at a different stage at each point in time, a different sentiment resonates with me. When an author leave in sufficient ambiguity in his work, it allows the reader to "personalize" the content to extract a "true meaning". Yet that too can change over time for the same reader.

When I began working on my site, there was one quote by Tolkien that I strongly believed was the driving factor of the entre endeavour. In the foreword to LOTR, he says:

I cordially dislike allegory in all its manifestations, and always have done so since I grew old and wary enough to detect its presence. I much prefer history, true or feigned, with its varied applicability to the thought and experience of readers. I think that many confuse 'applicability' with 'allegory'; but the one resides in the freedom of the reader, and the other in the purposed domination of the author.

It's this applicability that we experience each time we read LOTR... it's what keeps us coming back.

On the other hand, there can be instances where the author proposes an "absolute truth" which under no circumstances lends itself to a personal interpretation. An example is when J.K.Rowling announced that Dumbledore was gay. That shattered the image of Dumbledore that many fans had in their minds and no reader can dispute that fact anymore. It is the one true meaning, whether you like it or not.

Can the text have a meaning if there is no one to read it?

Hmmm... I'd say it can have at least one meaning - that which the author intended Smile

Does the one who decides the text's meaning change with the text (Bible, the US Constitution, and LOTR, for instance)?

I think it again depends on what you're looking for in a text. Are you reading it with a philosophical mindset? A moral mindset?

The Bilbe is a combination of the two - the philosophy of Christianity is founded on a morality that is constant from Genesis right unto Revelation. God's Word (his promises, his rules for living righteously, his plan of salvation) is unchangeable (because God cannot go back in His own Word) and so although every reader comes away with a personal and intimate experience with the Word and with God, and though it may be marred by life's intrusions, there really is only one absolute truth.

In a country's Constitution, the philosophy (which is really a belief system accepted by a society) represents a set of morals that was agreed upon at the time it was written. It usually remains more or less constant since humans have some inherent morals which do not change from country to country. But its flexibility lies in its amendments. But in any case, I don't suppose its meaning can change for different readers. The text presents an absolute truth.

LOTR is different because the author's intent was to refrain from "allegory" and lean towards "applicability". So while there are absolute truths presented therein, its ambiguous enough to allow the text's meaning to change depending on the reader, or even depending on the mindset of the same reader; and that is its intent anyway.

Is a car manual also art, then?

LOL. Good question. I think that would depend on the manual. Art for me is something that portrays something in a subjective form. You need to come away with an experience that is not necessarily the same as those around you. You could say the part of the manual that talks about the car as a whole (say it is a luxury car with pictures of a gleaming exterior, plush interiors etc.) lends itself to an art form. You're counting on the customer to come away with an image that resonates with him/her, that makes them want the car, or be happy they've purchased one. But the part that talks about the security features is more objective and can't really be counted as "art" (unles you're thinking of an innovative way to hack the security system Angelic).

What is "literature"? What is "great literature"?

Very good question. But first a counter question. Who decides what constitutes "literature" or "great literature"? And does their opinion even matter? Is "literature" defined by its popularity based on contemporary culture? Is "great literature" defined by its longevity, a popularity that that outlasts contemporary culture? The answers to me are "Yes" in both cases. Which is why I'd say Harry Potter can be classified as "literature" and LOTR as "great literature". It will be a few decades before I can (personally) judge whether Harry Potter reaches the ranks of "great literature".

Standing the test of time entails two things: That a similar age group can read a text over decades. That the age group that read the text still feel emotionally attached to it after decades. I think it needs both to stand the test of time.

Oh, but then again, does all that really matter from a personal perspective? I think not. Because for me, LOTR is "great literature" though my parents and my brother understand it not Pirate

Well, I hope I haven't blabbered too much and I'm looking forward to next week. Thanks Ainu... this is really thought-provoking and TORn is such a great place for discussions like this. You learn so much and you can share so much because people here are always so accepting.

Crows and Gibbets! What is The House Of Eorl but a thatched barn where brigands drink in the reek, and their brats roll around on the floor with their dogs! You are but a lesser son of greater Sires.

Elven
Valinor

Aug 21 2008, 8:04am

Post #11 of 23 (639 views)
Shortcut
What a great double act! [In reply to] Can't Post

Your classes sound wonderful! I wish you all the best for these courses - the subject matter, the questions, the topics - fantastic!
I have no words of wisdom to add - Im just enjoying reading the post - I hope you continue with your threads here - Im looking forward to future readings!

Cheers Ainu Laire
Elven

Were off to Hobbiton finally!

Tolkien was a Capricorn!!
Russell Crowe for Beorn!!

Penthe
Gondor

Aug 21 2008, 9:48am

Post #12 of 23 (637 views)
Shortcut
That sounds like a most fun course [In reply to] Can't Post

Funnily enough I was thinking about CS Lewis's Platonic ideal, and Tolkien's effective rebuttal of it only this morning. (Nothing to read on the bus results in odd thoughts). So it was quite odd and serendipitous to see your post title.

Meaning is a curly one. I would say 'both'. While I don't agree for a millisecond that a text has one 'true' meaning, I do think that some meanings of texts are nonsense. I don't, for example, believe you could formulate a strong argument for believing that LOTR is actually about a flying nun called Phyllis who has repeated issues with her shoelaces.

But I do believe (and know from spending many an hour in the reading room here) that different readers can construct massively different meanings from the same text. And we know that Tolkien had very strong views on meaning from his letters. And, in my not-so-humble opinion, he was often wrong!!!!! There, I've said it.

I have no opinion on what is literature. I have had very strong opinions at different times, but right now I'd rather read a book.

No improvement is too small or trivial to be worthwhile.

Penthe
Gondor

Aug 21 2008, 9:51am

Post #13 of 23 (645 views)
Shortcut
Arena battle - I vote for the Constitution [In reply to] Can't Post

On account of the fact that the state apparatus backing it up is real, not imaginary...

L. Ron Halfelven
Grey Havens

Aug 21 2008, 12:59pm

Post #14 of 23 (627 views)
Shortcut
If the Constitution's so great, how come no one's made a movie of it?/ [In reply to] Can't Post

Cum bak 2 me... cum bak 2 me... & say my land iz teh r0xx0r lol.

Idril Celebrindal
Tol Eressea

Aug 21 2008, 6:15pm

Post #15 of 23 (618 views)
Shortcut
If the Constitution is so great, how come it hasn't been on bubblegum cards?? // [In reply to] Can't Post

We're discussing the BBC Lord of the Rings Radio Play on the Movie Discussion - LOTR board.

With caffeine, all things are possible.

The pity of Bilbo will screw up the fate of many.

Elven
Valinor

Aug 21 2008, 6:20pm

Post #16 of 23 (607 views)
Shortcut
If the Constitution is so great, where's the sewing pattern for it // [In reply to] Can't Post

Were off to Hobbiton finally!

Tolkien was a Capricorn!!
Russell Crowe for Beorn!!

Patty
Immortal

Aug 21 2008, 6:24pm

Post #17 of 23 (619 views)
Shortcut
If the Constitution's so great, why hasn't a map been made of it? [In reply to] Can't Post

Even TORn has a map!

Hanging out with the Lonely Isle elves.

L. Ron Halfelven
Grey Havens

Aug 21 2008, 7:17pm

Post #18 of 23 (602 views)
Shortcut
We the People vs. the Wee People!/ [In reply to] Can't Post

Cum bak 2 me... cum bak 2 me... & say my land iz teh r0xx0r lol.

Aerin
Grey Havens

Aug 21 2008, 7:58pm

Post #19 of 23 (606 views)
Shortcut
Car manuals - literature or art? [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm a scientific and technical writer, and I was invited to serve on the board of directors of a statewide literary organization that was trying to reach out to writers in all genres, not just fiction and poetry. I ended up serving on the board for 6 years. Not everyone on the board agreed that the organization should serve technical writers, and some were even dismissive of the craft involved. Some also objected to the organization's including journalists or even "genre" novelists (e.g., mystery, science fiction, or romance). Needless to say, I was involved in many discussions on the "literary" status of technical writing and spent a lot of time trying to educate people as to what technical writing entails. However, I've never found debates over the semantics very informative; all they demonstrate is the limits of the language.

Whether a car manual is "literature" depends entirely on which definition of the term one uses. In the broadest sense, everything written is by definition "literature"; by a narrower definition, it is everything written about a certain topic (e.g., "the medical literature"). However, the term most often is used in an even narrower sense to refer to "creative" writing (as opposed to straightforward factual writing) or even just to fictional prose and poetry.

Conventionally, "art" is defined with reference to creation of works of "beauty," but that definition leaves out a lot of what we recognize as works of art even within painting, scuplture, and music, not to mention literature. Another definition references "human effort to imitate, supplement, alter, or counteract the work of nature" -- but doesn't that apply to just about any human activity?

"Art" also can be defined as "a system of principles and methods employed in the performance of a set of activities," "a trade or craft that applies such a system of principles and methods," "skill that is attained by study, practice, or observation," or "skill arising from the exercise of intuitive faculties." By these definitions, the car manual itself is not art, but it is literature created through the art of technical writing. Not all technical writers show the same degree of skill, and not all car manuals are created equal. So is a really excellent car manual a work of art? a thing of beauty? "great literature"? I don't really think the label matters.

Eruwestial37
Rohan

Aug 21 2008, 8:32pm

Post #20 of 23 (602 views)
Shortcut
Car manuals Works of Art? [In reply to] Can't Post

I spent 3 years learning to become an aircraft mechanic. During that time I had a small motorcycle that was my only transportation.

In the process I learned that tools are simply grown-ups' toys! They allow us to manipulate things in ways our fingers don't. It's fun to find a problem and fix it. I don't think the guys were all that happy with my analogy, though. They preferred to think they were being paid to 'work'. So in doing this play or work I think you're making art!

If a definition of art is that it engenders an emotional response then I would have to say my motorcycle manual was indeed art! I delighted in learning how to rewire my electrical system after it failed. I felt pride when I rebuilt my brakes with the use of this book, and it became a good friend that accompanied me on my many trips. In some ways, it was my most valuable bit of art.

Later,I had occasion to write directions for fabricating parts of the airplanes my company built. These short pieces surely felt like producing art. I had to take the welders' skill and transform it to words and diagrams, surely that is as much art as painting a sunset! It was challenging and freeing to find words to describe the actions I saw every day. Not any less interesting than sculpting a familiar face I'd say.

So yes, a car manual can be art, in my opinion.

Eruwestial

Aerin
Grey Havens

Aug 21 2008, 10:03pm

Post #21 of 23 (599 views)
Shortcut
Zen [In reply to] Can't Post

and the art of motorcyle maintenance?

I know exactly what you mean by the satisfaction you took in creating those directions. According to surveys, satisfaction in the work -- in doing it well -- even if no one else appreciates it is one of the main motivations of technical writers (who are not that well rewarded in other ways!). As you note, there's a large creative element in it.

Just yesterday, someone asked me what I did, and when I told her, she said, "Oh, how boring!" I said, "Well, actually, I find it extremely interesting!"

Annael
Immortal

Aug 21 2008, 11:37pm

Post #22 of 23 (594 views)
Shortcut
interesting stuff! [In reply to] Can't Post

(weren't you upset that you couldn't get into the school you really wanted to attend? Wherever you ended up sounds fantastic!)

I'm also reading a lot of different interpretations of a single text for my upcoming grad school venture. My bias is that there is no such thing as a single "true" interpretation of any text, just as there is no single "true" interpretation of an event. (See the film "Rashoman" sometime.) Every person, including the author, interprets the text according to what they need it to say - the interpretation that has the most meaning for them personally, that affirms their experience and worldview. We do this with everything. We all make sense of the world in the way that makes sense to us. Yes, that's circular reasoning. I said it that way deliberately, because most of us do use circular reasoning. "I believe A. I interpret the text to mean that A is true. Therefore, the text proves that I am right to believe A."

The trouble comes when people then say "therefore, any other interpretation besides mine is wrong." Anyone else starting from a different set of assumptions ("I believe B") is not going to agree! Does that make the text meaningless? No, because both my imaginary people did find meaning in it. Now if everyone who reads it scratches his or her head and says "I have no idea what this says," then it's meaningless!

My name is Annael, and I approved this message.

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

Penthe
Gondor

Aug 22 2008, 6:08am

Post #23 of 23 (607 views)
Shortcut
JMIGWIT [In reply to] Can't Post

James Madison is great - who is that?

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.