Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Peter Jackson, Fran Walsh, Philippa Boyens join Guillermo Del Toro penning 'The Hobbit'
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

deej
Tol Eressea

Aug 19 2008, 6:18pm

Post #1 of 50 (2218 views)
Shortcut
Peter Jackson, Fran Walsh, Philippa Boyens join Guillermo Del Toro penning 'The Hobbit' Can't Post

It's now official: The Lord of the Rings screenwriting team of Peter Jackson (pictured), Fran Walsh, and Philippa Boyens will join The Hobbit director Guillermo del Toro to pen the screenplay for the two planned Hobbit movies. Sources tell EW.com that the scribes' deals are all complete and they will commence writing shortly. (With shooting scheduled to begin in Fall 2009 in New Zealand, the quartet better get busy!) The Hobbit will center on Frodo's uncle, Bilbo Baggins, and his initial discovery of the immensely-powerful ring. New Line and MGM plan to release the two films Christmas 2011 and Christmas 2012.

http://hollywoodinsider.ew.com/2008/08/the-hobbit.html

"...and back again."

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Aug 19 2008, 7:33pm

Post #2 of 50 (751 views)
Shortcut
Woohoo!!! *spins in chair* [In reply to] Can't Post

AND SO IT BEGINS!!! It's about time!!! *trots around room* YES!! :D

HERE WE GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO............

sample

"Barney Snow was here." ~Hug like a hobbit!~ "In my heaven..."

TORn's Observations Lists

DiveTwin
Rohan

Aug 19 2008, 8:00pm

Post #3 of 50 (710 views)
Shortcut
Ah, Bliss... [In reply to] Can't Post

Boy, how many years have we been waiting to see this officially kick off? So now we'll just be rabid fans for the next three years while they work through the production. Glad to see Grammaboodog swooning again....

"Do not come between the Nazgul and his prey"

Advising Elf
Rohan

Aug 19 2008, 8:59pm

Post #4 of 50 (721 views)
Shortcut
I wonder if this is good news, or not. [In reply to] Can't Post

Let's see...Bard standing there, saying to himself, "I'm not *really* a good marksman. I should just give up and hide for the rest of my life..."

Arwen's daughter
Half-elven

Aug 19 2008, 9:21pm

Post #5 of 50 (665 views)
Shortcut
Spoilsport! [In reply to] Can't Post

At least now I know who they should cast for Bard!

Let's see...Bard standing there, saying to himself, "I'm not *really* a good marksman. I should just give up and hide for the rest of my life..."

My LiveJournal
My Costuming Site
TORn's Costume Discussions Archive
August Screencap of the Day Schedule

Kyriel
Forum Admin / Moderator

Aug 19 2008, 10:26pm

Post #6 of 50 (609 views)
Shortcut
Hooray! [In reply to] Can't Post

It just wouldn't be the same without them. Evil

Those left standing will make millions writing books on the way it should have been. --Incubus

Ainu Laire
Tol Eressea

Aug 19 2008, 10:41pm

Post #7 of 50 (679 views)
Shortcut
LOL! [In reply to] Can't Post

That would be amusing, to say the least.

I am wondering if they'll give Bard a larger part, since he does manage to shoot the dragon down. It'll be interesting to see how they handle that.

My LJ
My art site
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
NARF since age 8, when I refused to read the Hobbit because the cover looked boring and icky.

Eruthurin
Rivendell

Aug 20 2008, 12:16am

Post #8 of 50 (593 views)
Shortcut
Yay!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

It's about time!!...
but...
that will be a loooooooong waiting.... Unsure

:: All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you ::
Tapatía Orgullosa de tener al paisano Zapopano en la Tierra Media!.... :D

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Aug 20 2008, 12:21am

Post #9 of 50 (650 views)
Shortcut
*snert* He's "fired!" // [In reply to] Can't Post

sample

Elven
Valinor

Aug 20 2008, 1:59am

Post #10 of 50 (595 views)
Shortcut
Confirmation!! Yay!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

WOOT!!!
Thank you deej!! Cool

Cheers
Happy Elven Laugh

Were off to Hobbiton finally!

Tolkien was a Capricorn!!
Russell Crowe for Beorn!!

Sunflower
Valinor

Aug 20 2008, 4:27am

Post #11 of 50 (620 views)
Shortcut
Of course he'll have a larger part. [In reply to] Can't Post

That's one thing that I loved about the LOTR script: whenever possible, it sought to make the fantastic more familiar, by expanding the emotional range of the thing. I'm not saying I agreed with all decisions, but one thing they did absolutely right: the emotional truth of the story counted most. And so we got expanded parts for bit roles (Gamling, etc) and "bit parts" invented to flesh out the story and make it more "real." This was most evident in TTT--I always *loved* the idea of the village woman and her two kids, thrown in as a way of bringing the plight of the average Rohander to life, so we could see just what was at stake for the ordinary citizens of ME.
Of COURSE we will see a much expanded part for Bard; aside from the fact that theway he is set up in the book would look ludicrous on film, (sorry, but it's true), even if he had a big role in the book, Fran esp would find a way to expand on it. I don't know if it would be advisable to go so far as to give him a family we meet briefly, etc, but there can be some sort of story or backstory around him.

The two things I'm looking forward to most are the depictions of the Mirkwood Kingdom and LakeTown. In the case of the Mirkwood Elves, this has puzzled me for a long time: how do you portray the Elves who were "more dangerous and less wise" than the other Elven folk, the "primitaves" of the Elven world, and yet have them still convey the majesty of Elves? Well, maybe not even that, for they never saw the light of the Trees. Someone said that it would be foolish to drop Legolas inot any such scenes, or in Film 2, since clearly he and Aragorn only met at the Council; yet Jackson makes it clear in his version that they *had( met (their eyes, body language, and words at the Council confirm that. I always got the impression that in PJ's bversion, Thranduil had sent Legolas, who must have been a hothead, to journey with Thorongil, (knowing who he was of course), so that "Estel" could teach him a but about how to get on with Men)...

Compa_Mighty
Tol Eressea

Aug 20 2008, 4:44am

Post #12 of 50 (579 views)
Shortcut
Beautiful! [In reply to] Can't Post

This is GREAT news. Sloan first said MGM would do The Hobbit with Jackson on September 16, 2006 (I will elaborate further in my TORniversary mathom coming this September to an Off-Topic Forum near you! Wink). Two years later, here we are.

I guess patience does pay off. I can't wait to see this. I cannot wait to see the first sketch, the first production photo... will this be the ultimate consecration for Guillermo del Toro? Will it be a multiple Oscar winner? Will it win the fans' hearts? What fans? Pro-Peter, anti-Peter, purists, revisionists, del Toro fans, die-hard Tolkiendilis or everyone alike?

This is a time of many questions, of mystery, of hope...

One request to all of you though! Let us not become the Star Wars community... I know we all have a particular view of what this movie should be like in our heads, but let's not compare it to that ideal personal conception, but let the movie stand on its own, and judge it as such.

The Journey There has just begun. One day, on January 2013 (hopefully! If the Maya were wrong Wink), we'll be Back Again, and hopefully planning an Oscar party and waiting for a couple of Extended Editions and Full Scores.

Here's to Del Toro becoming the Irvin Kershner of Middle Earth!

Essay winner of the Show us your Hobbit Pride Giveway!

Sunflower
Valinor

Aug 20 2008, 4:50am

Post #13 of 50 (620 views)
Shortcut
And just think... [In reply to] Can't Post

Filming to begin (hopefully) little more than a year from now. Del Toro said he'd maybe have Bilbo or major casting news as a Christmas present...so now that scripting has begun, it''s all dotted and T'd, casting will soon be beginning as well! We may not have so long to wait for major news! (*crosses fingers, toes and every part crossable, and some that arent....PLEASE let Doug get Thranduil....he could do it..he's got the looks, both bodily and facial-wise, he has the gravitas and he could do the voice of an Elf. too..I used to be doubtful of this, but HB2 changed my mind in a big way).

I'd say, Del Toro had better work on ways to keep us satisfied newswise, or our trusty spies will swing back into action!

BEsides Mirkwood, I LOVE the idea that we going to be seeing a whole different part of ME, and Laketown, the first truly urban environment. In Edoras and MInas Tirith, we only hung out in the throne rooms, and never got any extended scenes with the people in the streets. We never slowed down long enough to savor an urban environment. I hope we will do this. Also, the Laketowners are rleated to the people of Rohan, aren;t they, so I can;t wait to hear Shore's Laketown theme! Will we hear the hardanger fiddle playing something much more muted and different?

Alos, I love the whole stroy arc of THorin just striding in and claiming his birthright in Laketown, and the people believe it and how that whole thing builds. It's the kind of stirring thing both Del Toro and Jackson could handle well, though Del Toro will make it more doubtful thing....or more dubious anyway.

Eldameldo
Bree

Aug 20 2008, 6:27am

Post #14 of 50 (585 views)
Shortcut
*puts on party hat* YES!! Great news!! [In reply to] Can't Post

It feels like THE beginning!
Thanks for letting us know.

Smile

Earl
Forum Admin / Moderator

Aug 20 2008, 6:28am

Post #15 of 50 (619 views)
Shortcut
So I'm... [In reply to] Can't Post

...sitting in the office and grinning like a mad person Blush I can well imagine PJ, Fran, Philippa, and GDT sitting in Bag End and sharing their dreams of Middle-earth... it is a little mind boggling to think of.

But this bit of the news caught my eye...
With shooting scheduled to begin in Fall 2009 in New Zealand, the quartet better get busy!

What? I thought shooting was supposed to begin in 2010. I'm not sure how official the Fall 2009 timeline is, but if it is, I'm gonna be spinning in my office chair heedlessly, since that could mean more pre-production news sooner Tongue And GDt did say that we'd know who Bilbo was this Christmas didn't he? There's still a chance it could be the good ol' Sir Ian Holm (though I wouldn't be unhappy, at all, if it was Martin Freeman).

Crows and Gibbets! What is The House Of Eorl but a thatched barn where brigands drink in the reek, and their brats roll around on the floor with their dogs! You are but a lesser son of greater Sires.

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Aug 20 2008, 6:32am

Post #16 of 50 (649 views)
Shortcut
This bugs me: [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
With shooting scheduled to begin in Fall 2009 in New Zealand,

Does that mean New Zealand's 'fall' (autumn) or the Northern Hemisphere Fall? 'Cause they're six months apart!

Mention a flipping month, EW!

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded b*****d with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Peredhil lover
Valinor

Aug 20 2008, 6:59am

Post #17 of 50 (581 views)
Shortcut
Was wondering that myself [In reply to] Can't Post

but thinking about it - the NZ fall 2009, being not much more than half a year away, might be a bit early to begin shooting and a December 2011 release for the first movie seems too long in that case, too. So I think they're talking about October or so.

I do not suffer from LotR obsession - I enjoy every minute of it.

leo
Rohan

Aug 20 2008, 7:02am

Post #18 of 50 (555 views)
Shortcut
Me too, but I was thinking... [In reply to] Can't Post

.. they'd start in, say, March or April 2009.

It has been a while since I picked up The Hobbit, so I am not sure in what time of the year Bilbo started his journey, but I don't think the weather was all that splendid. Anyone remember? Might make sense to start filming when the weather is a bit gloomy in New Zealand if it was gloomy in the books as well.

Earl
Forum Admin / Moderator

Aug 20 2008, 7:14am

Post #19 of 50 (553 views)
Shortcut
Ahh... I did NOT think of that [In reply to] Can't Post

Frown I assumed "Fall" to be sometime around August or September but that would be completely out of reckoning. So I assume Fall would mean the Fall of 2010, which is the year PJ and GDT said filming would start anyway (I think that was announced in the live chat).

Oh well, to think I was getting excited and all that Evil

Crows and Gibbets! What is The House Of Eorl but a thatched barn where brigands drink in the reek, and their brats roll around on the floor with their dogs! You are but a lesser son of greater Sires.

Elven
Valinor

Aug 20 2008, 7:27am

Post #20 of 50 (555 views)
Shortcut
New Zealand Autumn is in [In reply to] Can't Post

March - April - May ...

http://www.tourism.org.nz/climate.html

Cheers
Elven x

Earl
Forum Admin / Moderator

Aug 20 2008, 7:32am

Post #21 of 50 (578 views)
Shortcut
The weather was indeedy all that splendid ;) [In reply to] Can't Post

Bilbo and company set out sometime in the month of May (or a little before it).

Roast Mutton (Ch.2) says "That's how they all came to start, jogging off from the inn one fine morning just before May" and "Mostly it had been as good as May can be, even in merry tales" and "Bilbo was sadly reflecting that adventures were not all pony-rides in May sunshine".

But then Flies and Spiders (Ch.8) says "For he [Balin] had forgotten everything that had happened since they started their journey that May morning long ago.".

Looks like Bilbo too was a little out of his reckoning (or maybe, by extension, Tolkien) Wink

Anyway, summer is perfect to show the Shire in a more "golden time". Then as the narrative gets grimmer, the weather should probably get more gloomy as well, seeing as they reach the Desolation of Smaug sometime in autumn and on the brink of winter.

Elven
Valinor

Aug 20 2008, 7:42am

Post #22 of 50 (562 views)
Shortcut
They wont shoot everything in sequence ... [In reply to] Can't Post

but as the climate and environmnet change they might take advantage of that -
especially as the Shire and the Hobbit gardens need to have a good Spring (Im assuming) for the flowers to be out and the grass lush and green. Too far into Summer and they might loose that healthy look to the landscape.
I think Bilbo and Company were always worrying about winter coming on ...

If they do start early, they'll manage two rounds of seasons ...

Earl
Forum Admin / Moderator

Aug 20 2008, 8:10am

Post #23 of 50 (571 views)
Shortcut
Out of sequence shooting [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes, I agree... that's a good way to complete filming in one calendar year (assuming 2010) and then take advantage of the following year for post-production.

Also, I just realized that Film 2 is being shot simultaneously and the seasons of whatever events they choose to show in that film should also reflect what's there in the books. Hmmm... someting quite bewildering as far as Film 2 goes. I simply can't wait for some official news. Any news.

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Aug 20 2008, 9:59am

Post #24 of 50 (586 views)
Shortcut
Geeky YES to all! [In reply to] Can't Post

And I wonder if we'll see the ruin of Dale!? It'd work nicely into establishing the desolation of Smaug if they'd pass through or by Dale and we could hear of what it was like before. Much like Osgiliath in how it was once the jewel of the people.

*spasm* oh man... this is gonna be good :D

sample

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Aug 20 2008, 10:06am

Post #25 of 50 (558 views)
Shortcut
*gasp* That's right! [In reply to] Can't Post

If their source was GdT and he was still in Los Angeles, it's probably October-December(ish) of 09. I'd think it would take them more than 6-7 months (starting now) to write 2 screenplays (collaboratively); hire the cast; build any sets and/or props to get the film ready for production.

There shouldn't be the huge location search to do that they suffered through for LotR. I'm sure they've got a good idea of what they need from scouting the lands then not to mention re-using some (i.e. Rivendell/Hobbiton/Weathertop)

sample

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.