View Results (85 votes)

Laerasėa
Tol Eressea

Aug 18 2008, 2:54pm

Post #1 of 118 (3067 views)
Shortcut
Personality Type? Can't Post

My first poll!! Laugh

I was recently talking about this with a friend, and I kind of began to wonder what the personality types of people on here were. After taking an *excellent* mini-course on the MBTI (Myers-Briggs Type Indicator) in January, I bought a couple of books on it; not really in-depth ones, just quick and interesting reads (MBTI-for-beginners type stuff). For me, at least, it's a fascinating topic!

If you haven't taken the test and you're interested, or you don't remember what your type is, I found a test based off of the MBTI here, with an explanation for your type once you submit your answers- it took me about seven minutes to answer the 72 questions. They're all "yes or no" type questions, and while some of them are a little weird or difficult, just answer them with whatever your first instinct is (ie, if it asks if you like being organized, don't think, well, one time, I cleaned my desk, and it felt good- think more along the lines of- no way I'd want to organize my desk today!! if that makes sense)

I'm an ENFP- pretty much, a disorganized chatterbox who likes to think about abstact ideas and enjoys learning about people. (hence, I'm writing this post!)

(This post was edited by Inferno on Aug 18 2008, 9:09pm)

Arwen's daughter
Half-elven

Aug 18 2008, 3:39pm

Post #2 of 118 (2331 views)
Shortcut
I'm an INTJ or Mastermind [In reply to] Can't Post

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/INTJ

Nice idea for a poll. My friends and I actually just recently made the whole group take one of these tests.

"INTJs apply (often ruthlessly) the criterion "Does it work?" to everything from their own research efforts to the prevailing social norms. This in turn produces an unusual independence of mind, freeing the INTJ from the constraints of authority, convention, or sentiment for its own sake... INTJs are known as the "Systems Builders" of the types, perhaps in part because they possess the unusual trait combination of imagination and reliability. Whatever system an INTJ happens to be working on is for them the equivalent of a moral cause to an INFJ; both perfectionism and disregard for authority may come into play... Personal relationships, particularly romantic ones, can be the INTJ's Achilles heel... This happens in part because many INTJs do not readily grasp the social rituals... Perhaps the most fundamental problem, however, is that INTJs really want people to make sense."

Alassėa Eruvande
Valinor

Aug 18 2008, 4:30pm

Post #3 of 118 (2316 views)
Shortcut
Mine's not on your list--ISTJ [In reply to] Can't Post

Introverted Sensing Thinking Judging

Apparently, I'm well-suited to technical, law enforcement and management careers.
Well, I'm a stay-at-home mom, so I suppose that fits.
Technical: figuring out Lego instructions, installing batteries in various electronic toys

Law enforcement: Oh, where do I start? With a Terrible Two and a Sinister Second (grader), there is all sorts of "enforcement" going on here! Crazy

Management: Coordinating the extra-curriculars, play dates, sleep overs, meal prep, laundry, etc., etc. Oh, yes, I manage.

Famous people like me include Clint Eastwood and Queen Elizabeth II.

Laerasėa
Tol Eressea

Aug 18 2008, 4:36pm

Post #4 of 118 (2281 views)
Shortcut
That's the same as my sister, I think! [In reply to] Can't Post

She took the test a while ago, and her description pretty much sounded like that- she was definitely an ITJ, anyway (I just can't remember if she was an N or S). We joked about it, because although I'm an E and she's an I, she's way more excited for the chance to go to a party or hang out with friends than I ever was- I'd almost always rather stay home and read or something like that. On the other hand, I like talking to people more than she does (just not socializing in a big group, like her).

I haven't looked on Wiki...let's see what it says...oh! I'm a Champion, apparently! Of what, I wonder?
"ENFPs are initiators of change, keenly perceptive of possibilities. They energize and stimulate others through their contagious enthusiasm. They prefer the start-up phase of a project or relationship, and are tireless in the pursuit of new-found interests....ENFPs are able to anticipate the needs of others and to offer them needed help and appreciation....They tend to idealize people, and can be disappointed when reality fails to fulfill their expectations. They are optimistic, enthusiastic, and vivacious, craving expressions of strong emotion. With a dramatic flair, they share their experiences with others, hoping to reveal some universal truth or win others over in support of a cause....Attuned to possiblities, Champions scan their environment, probing the emotions, needs, and motivations of others. This sensitivity sometimes conflicts with their intense drive for personal authenticity. Spontaneous and personable, they attract others to their company."

I love how we get bubble letters with cool patterns for all of our names on Wikipedia! I wonder if the design's on purpose to somehow match the personality?

Thanks, AD!! Smile

Radhruin
Rohan

Aug 18 2008, 4:49pm

Post #5 of 118 (2311 views)
Shortcut
I'm an INFP. [In reply to] Can't Post

Your Type is
INFP: Introverted Intuitive Feeling Perceiving

Strength of the preferences %: 100 38 25 22

Interesting poll laerasea. I've taken various versions of this "quiz" and have always ended up with the same result. The INFP result describes me fairly well.

Healers present a calm and serene face to the world, and can seem shy, even distant around others. But inside they're anything but serene, having a capacity for personal caring rarely found in the other types. Healers care deeply about the inner life of a few special persons, or about a favorite cause in the world at large. And their great passion is to heal the conflicts that trouble individuals, or that divide groups, and thus to bring wholeness, or health, to themselves, their loved ones, and their community.

At work, Healers are adaptable, welcome new ideas and new information, are patient with complicated situations, but impatient with routine details. Healers are keenly aware of people and their feelings, and relate well with most others. Because of their deep-seated reserve, however, they can work quite happily alone. When making decisions, Healers follow their heart not their head, which means they can make errors of fact, but seldom of feeling. They have a natural interest in scholarly activities and demonstrate, like the other Idealists, a remarkable facility with language. They have a gift for interpreting stories, as well as for creating them, and thus often write in lyric, poetic fashion. Frequently they hear a call to go forth into the world and help others, a call they seem ready to answer, even if they must sacrifice their own comfort.

(This post was edited by Radhruin on Aug 18 2008, 4:56pm)

Idril Celebrindal
Tol Eressea

Aug 18 2008, 6:35pm

Post #6 of 118 (2280 views)
Shortcut
INF/TJ [In reply to] Can't Post

I go back and forth between INTJ and INFJ, depending on the test.

Jazmine
Tol Eressea

Aug 18 2008, 7:57pm

Post #7 of 118 (2252 views)
Shortcut
INTJ [In reply to] Can't Post

Introverted Intuitive Thinking Judging

Wow, that's me, spot on. Especially the introverted-thinkyness!

Laerasėa
Tol Eressea

Aug 18 2008, 8:00pm

Post #8 of 118 (2251 views)
Shortcut
Oops [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm disorganized...what can I say? CrazySmile
Anyway, thanks to the mods, it's all fixed. Sorry about that!

batik
Tol Eressea

Aug 18 2008, 11:18pm

Post #9 of 118 (2236 views)
Shortcut
Happens to the best of us... [In reply to] Can't Post

INFJ but I ended up doing it 2x because there was no "IIFJ" in the poll Crazy. At least my type stayed the same within the timeframe! Some changes in the numbers between #1 and #2 but still resulted in the same career being listed. Social worker...that was interesting. I am!

Alcarcalime
Tol Eressea

Aug 19 2008, 12:38am

Post #10 of 118 (2235 views)
Shortcut
Well, INTJ... [In reply to] Can't Post

Introverted, intuitive, thinking, judgmental. That pretty much sums me up! OhioHobbit is right behind me agreeing strongly!!!

batik
Tol Eressea

Aug 19 2008, 12:45am

Post #11 of 118 (2243 views)
Shortcut
whoa... [In reply to] Can't Post

9 in the "I" line and 2 in the "E" line.

Loresilme
Valinor

Aug 19 2008, 12:53am

Post #12 of 118 (2260 views)
Shortcut
INTJ [In reply to] Can't Post

Of all these personality type test thingees... I've found the Myers-Briggs Type to be the most consistent. I first took it about 20 years ago. I remember at that time (pre computers!) it was like 20 pages long and you had to fill in all those little answer boxes by hand. It took forever. I was in a semi-therapy sort of situation and after a few months I imagine the counselor was understandably tired of listening to me babble on self-indulgently, trying endlessly to figure out why I felt like such an outsider all the time, and he had me take this test. And when he got the results back, the first thing he said was, "Well, it turns out I guess you're not just imagining things after all, you really are mostly an outsider, and here's why...." and he went into the statistical breakdown of each of the types.... it was pretty funny.

Then about ten years went by and I basically forgot about this test. Then as part of my career training I needed to take it again, and there it was, the same result, INTJ.

The last time I took it was a few years ago and I was really, really wondering if I'd come up with the same result because I thought, after 20 years, I couldn't really still be the same person... but it again came up, INTJ. So I wonder if other people's results change over time or if everyone remains the same.

Funny thing about this particular test is that sometimes people become MBTI snobs. At an early point in my career, I had what was viewed as a very lowly job, and there was a much higher ranking person in my general department. She was very proud of being an INTJ, and I'll never forget how huffy she got when she found out I was one too. What a twit Angelic.

P.S. So you're a 'disorganized chatterbox", eh? I don't know ... being a 'chatterbox' must translate well into writing, because I always like reading your posts. I imagine you write just the way you talk. TORn is the perfect outlet for your chatterboxing talents Sly.

Well laerasea, this was certainly a different idea for a pollantir poll! Thanks!

Magpie
Immortal

Aug 19 2008, 1:30am

Post #13 of 118 (2228 views)
Shortcut
iNFj [In reply to] Can't Post

The Counselor Idealist

Depending on the test, I can come out other profiles but they seem really wrong for me. I think the test has to ask the right questions in a number of ways so that you don't get false results. Interestingly, people are always making assumptions about me in similar ways. I like to do X so that must mean I'm really good at Y... when in fact doing X comes from a different comfort level or motivation than Y requires.

Anyhow, here's a description of my profile. When I first read this, I suddenly fell that I was perhaps not such an aberration of nature as I had been lead to believe and had begun to think of myself.

The Counselor Idealists are abstract in thought and speech,
cooperative in reaching their goals, and directive and introverted in
their interpersonal roles. Counselors focus on human potentials, think
in terms of ethical values, and come easily to decisions. The small
number of this type (little more than 2 percent) is regrettable, since
Counselors have an unusually strong desire to contribute to the
welfare of others and genuinely enjoy helping their companions.
Although Counsleors tend to be private, sensitive people, and are not
generally visible leaders, they nevertheless work quite intensely with
those close to them, quietly exerting their influence behind the
scenes with their families, friends, and colleagues. This type has
great depth of personality; they are themselves complicated, and can
understand and deal with complex issues and people.

Counselors can be hard to get to know. They have an unusually rich
inner life, but they are reserved and tend not to share their
reactions except with those they trust. With their loved ones,
certainly, Counselors are not reluctant to express their feelings,
their face lighting up with the positive emotions, but darkening like
a thunderhead with the negative. Indeed, because of their strong
ability to take into themselves the feelings of others, Counselors can
be hurt rather easily by those around them, which, perhaps, is one
reason why they tend to be private people, mutely withdrawing from
human contact. At the same time, friends who have known a Counselor
for years may find sides emerging which come as a surprise. Not that
they are inconsistent; Counselors value their integrity a great deal,
but they have intricately woven, mysterious personalities which
sometimes puzzle even them.

Counselors have strong empathic abilities and can become aware of
another's emotions or intentions -- good or evil -- even before that
person is conscious of them. This "mind-reading" can take the form of
feeling the hidden distress or illnesses of others to an extent which
is difficult for other types to comprehend. Even Counselors can seldom
tell how they came to penetrate others' feelings so keenly.
Furthermore, the Counselor is most likely of all the types to
demonstrate an ability to understand psychic phenomena and to have
visions of human events, past, present, or future. What is known as
ESP may well be exceptional intuitive ability-in both its forms,
projection and introjection. Such supernormal intuition is found
frequently in the Counselor, and can extend to people, things, and
often events, taking the form of visions, episodes of foreknowledge,
premonitions, auditory and visual images of things to come, as well as
uncanny communications with certain individuals at a distance.

Alassėa Eruvande
Valinor

Aug 19 2008, 1:37am

Post #14 of 118 (2213 views)
Shortcut
Yay! I'll go vote now! :) {nt} [In reply to] Can't Post

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Aug 19 2008, 2:32am

Post #15 of 118 (2230 views)
Shortcut
I split IN/STJ. [In reply to] Can't Post

Also depending on the test. I have elements of both, but neither describes me definitively.

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Aug 19 2008, 2:36am

Post #16 of 118 (2219 views)
Shortcut
Yep. [In reply to] Can't Post

Lots of introverts on message boards, reading and lurking until they have something to say - many extroverts prefer congregating in chat rooms or hanging out with people in Real Time. Sly

Magpie
Immortal

Aug 19 2008, 2:43am

Post #17 of 118 (2214 views)
Shortcut
hmmm.. [In reply to] Can't Post

I've often said I don't chat (when people wonder what my IM is). I take way too much time thinking, looking up things, composing and proofreading for chat. Message boards or email suit me better.

I never thought of it as an introvert/extrovert thing but it kind of makes sense.

Laerasėa
Tol Eressea

Aug 19 2008, 2:53am

Post #18 of 118 (2219 views)
Shortcut
Music and math [In reply to] Can't Post

I like to do X so that must mean I'm really good at Y... when in fact doing X comes from a different comfort level or motivation than Y requires.

Not sure if this is what you mean, exactly, but what you said reminded me of music and math, for me. I really really love music, and every time I tell someone that I like music, or I've studied theory, they always say, "You know, music and math skills are both used on the same side of the brain. You must be really good at math." Ok- I'm not being modest here, I'm being bluntly honest: I have never been so lost in a subject as I was in Precalculus. Once I get over my urge to tell the person to quit speaking in passive voice, I give a tight smile and tell them, no, actually, I'm terrible at math. I'm sure it's different for many- if not most- people; they are good at both music and math, and it's also true that they originate from the same side of the brain (after the billionth person said this to me, I looked it up on my own). But that does not change the fact that I seriously can't stand it when people assume that they always come together.

And Magpie- the most common definition of "aberration" is "a deviation from the norm" (that's been an SAT vocab word for pretty much forever, so I can recite all the definitions by heart). That's not a bad thing at all; it's just different. The people who I respect most are people like you!

Glad to see you replied to this! Smile

(This post was edited by laerasea on Aug 19 2008, 3:01am)

Magpie
Immortal

Aug 19 2008, 2:58am

Post #19 of 118 (2207 views)
Shortcut
I think the most common misconception about me is... [In reply to] Can't Post

that I would be good at leading. I'm not. I'm good at teaching but that's an entirely different thing. The MB profile that came up wrong (from too few questions, IMO) said I'm the sort that's always in charge of the church socials. That is so not me. Not only do I not want to do it, when I try, it all ends disastrously.

Laerasėa
Tol Eressea

Aug 19 2008, 2:59am

Post #20 of 118 (2213 views)
Shortcut
Awww... [In reply to] Can't Post

well, thank you!

When I took the mini-course in January, Menelwyn emphasized the fact that there is no "good" type or "bad" type. I've definitely read descriptions that start with "When ENFP's go bad..." or something like that, but any story that involves people like your INTJ buddy kind of make me giggle. I always thought if there were rankings on types, then I'd be at the lowest rung on the latter.
Oh, I've also read (and we learned it in our class) that people tend to fall more and more into their type as they grow older- not the other way around, so for most people, they'll not only have the same type, but each letter will be stronger as they grow older (for example, you're an introvert, so you'll answer more and more of the questions like an introvert as you grow older). I'm a little bit nervous to see what happens when I grow up!

Laerasėa
Tol Eressea

Aug 19 2008, 3:10am

Post #21 of 118 (2195 views)
Shortcut
Heehee.. [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes, I came up as an introvert on this one. I really do think it's better to take more than one test (I mean- if you're taking tests based on MBTI, but not the actual test)- but if the description fits, then you're fine. I sometimes come up as an introvert on these things (I've done it more than once, on different tests), because yes, I'd much rather stay home and read than go out to a party. I don't like big gatherings. I prefer talking with people one-on-one, where I can learn the most about them.
However
1. I was an extravert the first time I took the test, 100%
2. The ENFP description pretty much fits perfectly
3. I have to talk to people. If there is a group of people, or nobody, I'll go with the group of people. True, I'd much rather talk to just one or two people. But talking to someone's always better than talking to no one, for me.

Also, one thing about my description that I'm not sure about is that it says I'm not dependable. It's true that I'm kind of a procrastinator, I don't like deadlines, and I often avoid working when I can. But- my description also says I like to please people, which is very true. If you put me in charge of something, or tell me to do something, I would, within whatever deadlines you give me- not because I have a strong work ethic, but because I would want you to think I do. So- in that sense, I think I am dependable.

Laerasėa
Tol Eressea

Aug 19 2008, 3:12am

Post #22 of 118 (2203 views)
Shortcut
*nod* [In reply to] Can't Post

read my second reply to Magpie- I sometimes come up as an introvert.

Kelvarhin
Half-elven

Aug 19 2008, 3:22am

Post #23 of 118 (2184 views)
Shortcut
Me too// [In reply to] Can't Post

Magpie
Immortal

Aug 19 2008, 3:39am

Post #24 of 118 (2246 views)
Shortcut
introvert / extrovert [In reply to] Can't Post

The difference isn't so much on what one would rather do but, does interacting with othes energize you or exhaust you. Some interactions do energize me. But they are very select and few. Most interactions exhaust me. I would look forward to my weekly get together with my best friend with our kids were small. I would love being with her. Then I'd come and take a nap because I was exhausted. I do like being with people and socializing but only to a point. And only if I can get small conversations going. This has not been helped at all by my gradual hearing loss. Large groups are really impossible for me. I can not hear most of what's said to the group and the background noise makes it hard to hear people talking directly to me. I have to make them repeat things which puts a damper on conversation so I just sit and nod.

Laerasėa
Tol Eressea

Aug 19 2008, 4:01am

Post #25 of 118 (2202 views)
Shortcut
Also, [In reply to] Can't Post

lots of judgers. I guess they prefer to be able to look at what they've written and edit it. I'm not sure if that ability appeals more to introverts or judgers- I would guess J's, though, because that's more of an organizational thing than a talking to people thing, right? Being on the boards at all is, in a way, introverted in itself, because you only have to reply when you want to, and you can take as long as you want. It's cool for judgers, though, because they can preview their post, edit it, make changes, and make it look nice and organized, in general, if they want to.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.