Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Lord of the Rings:
BBC Radio Adaptation Lord of the Rings Episode 9B to 9E

ArathornJax
Lorien

Aug 12 2008, 5:23am

Views: 146
Shortcut
BBC Radio Adaptation Lord of the Rings Episode 9B to 9E Can't Post

I decided to post everything tonight due to some scheduling and work stuff. Feel free to respond when you want over the next week and a half, and as always don't respond to everything. Thanks and enjoy!!!!!

Episode 9 B
1. Do you enjoy the sound of the falls in background? I love the interaction here between Sam and Faramir.
2. This notion came up on another board I visit but the notion of food and drink bringing not only refreshment to Sam and Frodo, but also a respite from the cares of the world. Does food and drink play such a role in your life by bringing a respite from the cares and struggles of life?
3. Nighy does it yet again here as he describes Galadriel to Faramir, and then how Boromir took his peril into Lorien.
4. We learn something more about Sam here that he is an observer of character and he judged correctly what Boromir wanted, even before Boromir realized it. What have we learned of Sam in the adaptation from when Gandalf catches him until he reveals the great secret of the ring to Faramir?
5. Does the ring theme in the background give you the feeling that Faramir is being tempted by the ring to seize it?
6. Is a listener able to see the differences between Boromir nad Faramir as Faramir rejects the ring and remains true to his words, to the decision he has already made?
7. Does Andrew Seear give you the “air of Numenor” in his portrayl of Faramir?
8. What are your impressions of the conversation between Eowyn and Aragorn? Does Is Sir Robert Stephens sounding more like Aragorn to anyone yet? Personally I really enjoy his adaptation of Aragorn at this point. I get the feeling that he is noble and has committed to his purpose to gain the desire of his heart, Arwen, while also fulfilling his role to defeat Sauron.

Episode 9 C
1. A nice note that I enjoy here is the recital of the prophesy by Aragorn as the company passes the doors to the Path of the Dead. Now we know exactly why he has come here. Are there any little nuggets in this episode that you really enjoy?
2. I have to admit that the music here seems really creepy and Gimli really brings out the sense of doom that the company is facing. Did you find the music in this part of the episode to reinforce that the dead are present and following?
3. Another nugget for me is the unfurling of the Standard of Arwen. This just cements for me that Aragorn is coming as the King Returning.
4. I’ve mentioned the Narrator here, Gerard Murphy, and for me, his narration is changing in terms of tone, urgency and pressure. What are your impressions of the role of the narrator? Has he changed?
5. I really think here that Sir Ian Holm really gives the listener the impression that he has true pity and compassion for Gollum. What are your thoughts on Frodo and Gollum here?
6. One of the things I enjoy about the adaptation is the fact that here I really feel the betrayal that Gollum felt towards Frodo. What did you enjoy about the scene at Henneth Annun?
Episode 9 D
1. Do you get the feeling of desperation from Gollum during his questioning by Faramir?
2. Did anyone else notice that the night before when learning that Frodo, Sam and Gollum are going to go to Cirith Ungol, there is a lack of urgency in Faramir’s voice when compared to the next morning? Why the change do you think?
3. Does Frodo’s rebuttal to Faramir provide insight by inferring that Faramir may have wanted Frodo to go with him to Minis Tirith for protection? I really am interested in hearing your responses here.
4. I enjoy the discussion of Pippin and Gandalf, and the background information it provides to the listener. I find that much of the background is not only given by the narrator, but by conversation with Gandalf (and others).

Episode 9 E
1. What did you think of Pippin swearing his oath as Denethor administers it?
2. I really enjoy Richard O’Callaghan (Merry) and John McAndrew’s (Pippin) performance, especially from when the are taken captives until the end. What are your impressions of their performance? I think I like them more then Dom and Billy’s performance (which are also very good).
3. What do you think of Peter Vaughn’s Denethor?
4. Did you get the feeling that Pippin was in a tight corner? Did that come across?
5. The story is now coming to four parts, going to the Grey Company, Frodo, Minis Tirith, and Rohan. Are you able to stay up with this? I know we discussed this before but I am just wondering if things are moving too fast?
6. Another nugget for me is the delivery of the Red Arrow. Any nuggets for any of you in this episode?
7. I enjoyed Theoden’s firmness in determining that he will lead his army to war, even if it means his death. I may have to reconsider who my favorite character is. Has anyone else changed who their favorite character is due to the performance of an actor in the adaptation?
8. I love the visual imagery used at the end of this episode with Frodo and Sam. The air itself seems to become foreboding of the evil that is waiting and coming. I love these lines and the way they are delivered by the Narrator and by the actors of Frodo and Sam: “There seemed to be a great blackness looming slowly out of the East, eating up the faint, blurred stars. The sinking moon was ringed all about with a sickly yellow glare.” “Grey vapours arise in the east out of Mordor. The twilight is deepening.” It truly gives to me a feeling that a storm is about to be unleashed.
9. I love how in the adaptation Frodo seems to lose hope, and Sam seems to have hope for both of them. Then something comes along that shows to Frodo that his quest though hopeless to him, shows that though he may think he is doomed, evil cannot conqueror for ever. I really enjoyed the description that Sir Ian Holm gives of the statue of the King and his cloven head on the crown with the crown of flowers.
10. What do you think of Merry and Dernhelm? Why does not Merry recognize Eowyn?
11. This episode ends in song. What are your impressions? I had to listen to it a couple of times to understand all the words (or listen with the transcript opened). What mood (if any) does the

" . . . (we are ) too engrossed in thinking of everything as a preparation or training or making one fit -- for what? At any minute it is what we are and are doing, not what we plan to be and do that counts."

J.R.R. Tolkien in his 6 October 1940 letter to his son Michael Tolkien.

Come over to the LOTR Movie Thread and discuss the 1981 BBC Adaptation of the LOTR.

Subject User Time
BBC Radio Adaptation Lord of the Rings Episode 9B to 9E ArathornJax Send a private message to ArathornJax Aug 12 2008, 5:23am
    Great Post! I'll be back... I promise! :D // grammaboodawg Send a private message to grammaboodawg Aug 14 2008, 2:19pm
        Incoming!!!! grammaboodawg Send a private message to grammaboodawg Aug 18 2008, 2:57pm
    I'll be back too, AJ... Patty Send a private message to Patty Aug 15 2008, 8:32pm
        No problem with ArathornJax Send a private message to ArathornJax Aug 16 2008, 1:23am
    Answers Jazmine Send a private message to Jazmine Aug 21 2008, 10:57am
    Better late than never! Idril Celebrindal Send a private message to Idril Celebrindal Aug 27 2008, 5:14pm
        Maybe... Jazmine Send a private message to Jazmine Aug 27 2008, 9:04pm

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.