Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Lord of the Rings:
Did You Ever Notice... Rosie's Wedding Dress?

Arwen's daughter
Half-elven

Aug 12 2008, 2:55am

Post #1 of 17 (5430 views)
Shortcut
Did You Ever Notice... Rosie's Wedding Dress? Can't Post

We only see a quick glimpse of this dress (and of Sam's outfit) on screen and I wanted to know more. Unfortunately, there aren't a lot of details out there, so some of these are my observations and some of them are the observations of others.

Sam wears a honey colored velvet suit with a cream vest and white shirt. I'm afraid that's all that I can tell about his costume. Crazy

Rosie's dress is a silk bodice with a brocade insert in the center. It has chiffon ruffled sleeves with little wreaths embroidered on them. A matching gold silk tiered skirt with a white overlay. There are blue and white flowers on each part and a wreath of flowers and ribbons in her hair. The folks over at ACS suggest that her necklace is a rose, but I can't find a clear picture of it.

You can find some more details over at AlleyCatScratch.

So, any thoughts?

Did You Ever Notice? is a running look at the detail in LOTR one costume at a time. It follows no particular order and appears on no particular day. You can always find past discussions at my Costume Discussion Archive.

My LiveJournal
My Costuming Site
TORn's Costume Discussions Archive
August Screencap of the Day Schedule

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Aug 12 2008, 4:06am

Post #2 of 17 (4216 views)
Shortcut
I hadn't noticed before [In reply to] Can't Post

the matching colour of Sam's vest and Rosie's bodice. Nice touch!

And I *think*, but I'm not sure, that I hadn't realised PJ's kids were in the wedding party.

There's something about the puffed sleeves and frills and layers of Rosie's dress that make her appear more 'cuddly' than she does eleswhere in the movie. Perhaps this is a look that the food-loving hobbits aspire to, so wedding dresses are cut to accentuate this ideal figure of hobbit form!

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauronís master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded b*****d with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Goldberry of the river
Lorien

Aug 12 2008, 7:56am

Post #3 of 17 (4240 views)
Shortcut
They're wearing boots... [In reply to] Can't Post

in the last photo! Rosie's look like short Ugg boots! Why aren't they wearing them in the other photos I wonder? Did PJ decide they weren't right?

Brian Blessed for Thorin!

ArathornJax
Lorien

Aug 12 2008, 8:17am

Post #4 of 17 (4221 views)
Shortcut
Boots [In reply to] Can't Post

According to IMDB Sarah McLeod is 5'7 and Sean Astin is 5'6 so from the pictures it looks like they want Sean as Sam to be taller than Rosie. Notice how Sean is standing on the rocks to bring his height up and my bet is that didn't give them what they wanted in the picture. Sarah McLeod's boots aren't really boots, they look more like winter slippers to me, but no matter. What is important is they have a minimal sole and Sean as Sam is wearing a winter/snow set of boots (maybe fireman boots?) that probably added an inch or more to his height, especially when he stood on the rocks again, giving them the height they were looking for. It's been awhile since I've seen that scene but if I remember right you don't see their feet, but I could be wrong on that. Just a guess so others may have the real reason.

" . . . (we are ) too engrossed in thinking of everything as a preparation or training or making one fit -- for what? At any minute it is what we are and are doing, not what we plan to be and do that counts."

J.R.R. Tolkien in his 6 October 1940 letter to his son Michael Tolkien.

Come over to the LOTR Movie Thread and discuss the 1981 BBC Adaptation of the LOTR.

(This post was edited by ArathornJax on Aug 12 2008, 8:20am)

Elven
Valinor

Aug 12 2008, 11:02am

Post #5 of 17 (4196 views)
Shortcut
I was looking at these shots just the other day! [In reply to] Can't Post

I love what Rosie has on. I think its so lovely - not too overdone. Got to say Sarah suits curls Smile and flounce and bounce - she looks healthy and shining as a bride.
Sam looks as though he can't believ his luck Smile .. I know he was nervous during the scene - though Viggo did his best to fix that by kissing Billy Boyd to show Sean how it was done ... Tongue

Back to Rosie though Smile
I have not seen a clear picture of this necklace either - her other one is more a band with a small silver and black square on it - Rosies wedding necklace could be a rose indeed - very fitting for 'Rosie'.

Also - Is Sam wearing the same vest that he wears to see Frodo off on the ship. It looks as if this is the same vest he forgot to put back on for one of the takes and they ended up having to shoot Frodo's goodbye scene for a third time because of the continuity problem.

and Rosies height, as ArathornJax points out, is more obvious in the closing scene where Rosie and Sam stand at the front gate together - she is marginally taller than Sam - no boots this time.
And just the fact that Hobbit have shoes on is remarkable at all - maybe its a traditional wedding thing Wink

Its a dangerous thing to ask quesions ... Ive just spent the last G*d knows how long watching the Extras of the Theatrical version - The Quest Fulfilled & A Film Makers Journey ... hoping to spot Rosie and Sams wedding - instead Ive had tears down my face just being overwhelmed at the sheer scale and dedication towards Tolkiens work ... now I watched Ngila talk about the costumes in the EE Appendices ... LOL!!

Thank you Arwen's Daughter! I loved Rosies costumes!
Cheers
Elven

Were off to Hobbiton finally!

Tolkien was a Capricorn!!
Russell Crowe for Beorn!!

Rosie-with-the-ribbons
Forum Admin / Moderator

Aug 12 2008, 12:46pm

Post #6 of 17 (4170 views)
Shortcut
I just love that dress [In reply to] Can't Post

and the ribbons (hence, my name Wink). I think it is the best dress in the movie. I think that maybe because this one will probably fit me better.
I think indeed, as mentioned already, that the vest Sam is wearing is the same one as in the farewell to Frodo.

Thanks for sharing.

Magpie
Immortal

Aug 12 2008, 1:30pm

Post #7 of 17 (4203 views)
Shortcut
I'm sure they weren't meant to be seen [In reply to] Can't Post

I just assumed it was to keep their feet warm if they weren't in the shot. If they were made to put the hobbit feet on (and it seems PJ usually insisted they did 'just in case') then they might have to get creative in what footwear would fit over them. But the height thing could be part of it. Two characters wore tall disco boot like footwear to make them look tall.

magpie avatar gallery ~ soundtrack website ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

weaver
Half-elven

Aug 12 2008, 4:20pm

Post #8 of 17 (4204 views)
Shortcut
these look like "real" wedding photos, don't they? [In reply to] Can't Post

You know, the candid kind, where everyone is just grinning themselves silly but the shots are out of focus and you see all kinds of weird things in the background!

I like that they put ribbons in her hair for the wedding, just like Sam was mooning about at Mt. Doom. Nice touch.

I like the very hobbity nature of Rosie's dress...it's full of fluff and puff, compared to all those long, elegant lines of Eowyn, Arwen and Galadriel, but it's just as pretty in its own way, and just as becoming on her as those gowns were on the our other ladies....

Thanks Arwen's Daughter for giving us a glimpse of this gown!

Weaver

Arwen's daughter
Half-elven

Aug 12 2008, 7:07pm

Post #9 of 17 (4143 views)
Shortcut
Sam's vest [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Also - Is Sam wearing the same vest that he wears to see Frodo off on the ship. It looks as if this is the same vest he forgot to put back on for one of the takes and they ended up having to shoot Frodo's goodbye scene for a third time because of the continuity problem.

I think you're right. And I think it's the same vest Sam wears to Aragorn's Coronation. He must use it for very special occasions!

In Reply To
Its a dangerous thing to ask quesions ... Ive just spent the last G*d knows how long watching the Extras of the Theatrical version - The Quest Fulfilled & A Film Makers Journey ... hoping to spot Rosie and Sams wedding - instead Ive had tears down my face just being overwhelmed at the sheer scale and dedication towards Tolkiens work ... now I watched Ngila talk about the costumes in the EE Appendices ... LOL!!

I know what you mean! I have a tendency to go back through the Appendices looking for things I've missed every few weeks when I'm putting these together and I just get lost in the special features!

My LiveJournal
My Costuming Site

Arwen's daughter
Half-elven

Aug 12 2008, 7:10pm

Post #10 of 17 (4158 views)
Shortcut
I agree [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't know when this scene was filmed, but I do see a bit of (PJ's?) parka in one shot. It's possible it was just too cold for bare feet. Since we only see them in the one picture, I assume they were given the shoes when filming close-ups and had to have the feet showing for longer shots.

In Reply To
I just assumed it was to keep their feet warm if they weren't in the shot. If they were made to put the hobbit feet on (and it seems PJ usually insisted they did 'just in case') then they might have to get creative in what footwear would fit over them. But the height thing could be part of it. Two characters wore tall disco boot like footwear to make them look tall.

My LiveJournal
My Costuming Site

Salty Coqui
Rivendell

Aug 13 2008, 2:35am

Post #11 of 17 (4126 views)
Shortcut
Awww... [In reply to] Can't Post

They're so cute and sweet I'm getting a toothache just looking at them! Laugh

weaver
Half-elven

Aug 13 2008, 4:23am

Post #12 of 17 (4134 views)
Shortcut
hands S.C. some orajel... [In reply to] Can't Post

Yep, those photos are pretty high on the sacharine scale...but I like 'em.

Hope your little toothy-woothy feels all bedder soon!...Smile

Weaver

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Aug 17 2008, 4:28pm

Post #13 of 17 (4124 views)
Shortcut
This looks like the same vest [In reply to] Can't Post

Sam wore at the Havens http://www.framecaplib.com/...es/rotk/rotk2494.htm

So I take it that this is Sam's dress vest. I don't think he wore a vest to Bilbo's farewell party. I think you've gotten a fabulous description of Rosie and Sam's wedding outfits! I absolutely LOVE your posts on these costumes. Not only does it bring out more of the details for me, it gives me a chance to stop, visit and enjoy these wonderful moments.

HUGS!

sample

"Barney Snow was here." ~Hug like a hobbit!~ "In my heaven..."

TORn's Observations Lists

FarFromHome
Valinor

Aug 17 2008, 5:43pm

Post #14 of 17 (4105 views)
Shortcut
And also... [In reply to] Can't Post

the one he wore at Aragorn's coronation. The hobbits' coronation vests must have been made for them in Minas Tirith. I guess Sam kept his as his "best" vest , and gets it out for all special occasions, including his wedding and the trip to the Grey Havens! It always makes me smile to see how unflattering to his figure those side pockets are when he wears it without a coat at the coronation. Luckily once he has a coat on top the vest looks pretty good (although it's very long and creases when he bends down, for example when he picks up Elanor - I wonder if that's why Sean took it off at lunchtime on that ill-fated Grey Havens shooting day?)

...and the sails were drawn up, and the wind blew,
and slowly the ship slipped away down the long grey firth;
and the light of the glass of Galadriel that Frodo bore
glimmered and was lost.

Patty
Immortal

Aug 17 2008, 7:24pm

Post #15 of 17 (4120 views)
Shortcut
This pic shows more of the detail of the fabric of Sam's vest... [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't know much about fabric, but it has a moire kind of look.

Hanging out with the Lonely Isle elves.

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Aug 18 2008, 12:30am

Post #16 of 17 (4108 views)
Shortcut
Now we know where he got it! [In reply to] Can't Post

He wears the cloak of Lorien and the vest from Minas Tirith.

sample

"Barney Snow was here." ~Hug like a hobbit!~ "In my heaven..."

TORn's Observations Lists

Artanis
Rohan

Aug 18 2008, 6:59pm

Post #17 of 17 (4096 views)
Shortcut
Oh Rosie [In reply to] Can't Post

She is so cute! I thought the wedding went really well in the film - made me feel like I was really watching a wedding video, and they look so well matched. My opinions would differ extremely if I was Mrs. Sean Astin!

Rosie's dress reminds me of my wedding dress - I had big puffy sleeves and a garland around my head....but thankfully not the hairy feet!!! Laugh

Artanis

Reading: I, Robot - Isaac Asimov, J. Hudson Taylor A Man in Christ - Roger Steer

Listening: Downhere -Wide Eyed and Mystified, The Silmarillion, Eden's Bridge - Celtic Worship

Random Delights: Tea, chocolate, Lavendar plants and TORn

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.