The One Ring Forums: TheOneRing.net: Feedback:
I need a link corrected, please.

Advising Elf
Rohan

Aug 12 2008, 12:02am

Post #1 of 17 (524 views)
Shortcut
I need a link corrected, please. Can't Post

In this post: http://newboards.theonering.net/forum/gforum/perl/gforum.cgi?do=post_view_threaded;post=124800;sb=post_time;so=DESC

It should be: www.trekmovie.com

BTW, why aren't the above addresses turning into links automatically?

Magpie
Immortal

Aug 12 2008, 12:04am

Post #2 of 17 (421 views)
Shortcut
I don't think links have ever become clickable automatically here. // [In reply to] Can't Post

magpie avatar gallery ~ soundtrack website ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Aug 12 2008, 12:20am

Post #3 of 17 (441 views)
Shortcut
Fixed. [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm not sure why the link in your Feedback post isn't 'live'. Did you write the post in Basic Editor? (Advanced Editor should automatically make the link live.)

If a link doesn't go live, you can always use the link tool in the toolbar beneath the subject line - just highlight the text you want to turn into a link and you'll be able to use that tool.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded b*****d with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Magpie
Immortal

Aug 12 2008, 1:13am

Post #4 of 17 (428 views)
Shortcut
If links automatically go live, why are there so many unclickable links in posts? [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm posting this in Advanced editor as a test:

http://www.geocities.com/magpie930/main.htm

edit to point out the obvious: it's not clickable.

(This post was edited by Magpie on Aug 12 2008, 1:13am)

a.s.
Valinor

Aug 12 2008, 1:51am

Post #5 of 17 (413 views)
Shortcut
hmmm. testing. [In reply to] Can't Post

www.google.com

http://www.google.com

"an seileachan"

Pooh began to feel a little more comfortable, because when you are a Bear of Very Little Brain, and you Think of Things, you find sometimes that a Thing which seemed very Thingish inside you is quite different when it gets out into the open and has other people looking at it.

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Aug 12 2008, 1:51am

Post #6 of 17 (436 views)
Shortcut
Ah, I've got it: [In reply to] Can't Post

Once you've pasted the link into you post, put the cursor at the end of the link and press the spacebar - that'll make the link live.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded b*****d with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

a.s.
Valinor

Aug 12 2008, 1:52am

Post #7 of 17 (410 views)
Shortcut
I hand typed those using Advanced Editor [In reply to] Can't Post

so it works in my case. BUT I don't know the ins and outs of this stuff. I'm using IE7, if browsers make any kind of difference.

a.s.

"an seileachan"

Pooh began to feel a little more comfortable, because when you are a Bear of Very Little Brain, and you Think of Things, you find sometimes that a Thing which seemed very Thingish inside you is quite different when it gets out into the open and has other people looking at it.

a.s.
Valinor

Aug 12 2008, 1:55am

Post #8 of 17 (426 views)
Shortcut
I didn't do that, I pressed Enter [In reply to] Can't Post

but that's probably the same difference. In other words, I typed the links then hit Enter, which made the links live. I didn't hit the spacebar.

However, I notice Magpie has text below her link, so she probably hit the Enter key for a hard break after she typed her links (or copy/pasted them), so maybe I don't know what I'm talking about and should just stick to giving examples of what stuff looks like when I post it.

Cool

a.s.

"an seileachan"

a.s.
Valinor

Aug 12 2008, 1:56am

Post #9 of 17 (408 views)
Shortcut
test too, no Enter or spacebar [In reply to] Can't Post

www.google.com

"an seileachan"

a.s.
Valinor

Aug 12 2008, 1:57am

Post #10 of 17 (403 views)
Shortcut
yeah. You're right. LOL. Have to hit "enter" or "spacebar" // [In reply to] Can't Post

"an seileachan"

Magpie
Immortal

Aug 12 2008, 2:05am

Post #11 of 17 (446 views)
Shortcut
Well that makes sense [In reply to] Can't Post

That will work in other applications. I guess I just haven't tried it here.

Well, it still didn't work. neither space bar or enter. Interesting. Perhaps it's a browser thing.

I just always use the link tool to either make a word clickable or, in some cases, the link address so people will get a sense where I'm directing them. But I still have to highlight the address and use the link tool to make it clickable:

And there *are* plenty of non-clickable links in posts so either it doesn't work for other people or they never hit enter.

(This post was edited by Magpie on Aug 12 2008, 2:08am)

ElanorTX
Tol Eressea

Aug 12 2008, 3:10am

Post #12 of 17 (420 views)
Shortcut
I have trouble with the link tool too. // [In reply to] Can't Post

"I shall not wholly fail if anything can still grow fair in days to come."

Magpie
Immortal

Aug 12 2008, 3:16am

Post #13 of 17 (425 views)
Shortcut
The link tool works fine for me. [In reply to] Can't Post

I just have to use it. Making the link clickable doesn't happen automatically as it seems to for other people.

One trick to using the link tool is that you have to type something in the body of your post (in the compose window), highlight it with your cursor, click the link tool, then paste or write the url in the pop up window. It is important to have http:// but you should not have it twice.

Some forums' procedure is just the opposite. You hit the link tool, it asks for the text (or the link) - you provide it and hit enter and then it asks for the link (or text... can't remember which is first) and hit enter. (or submit or whatever). So if you're used to that procedure you have to remember that this site is different.

Peredhil lover
Valinor

Aug 12 2008, 4:56am

Post #14 of 17 (432 views)
Shortcut
Have to remember that! [In reply to] Can't Post

Could easily be the reason why I didn't get a link to work some time ago.

Though I got the impression that it could be a browser thing, too. At home, I am using Safari on a Mac, and when I klick on 'reply', then I have the link to 'Markup help' at the top of the window where I type. If I'm not sure if I got the link correct, I look it up there.
At work, I have IE on a Windows computer, and there's no 'Markup help' at all, and for some reason, the way I remembered how to make links didn't work, either. Maybe I've made a mistake (in my other forum, it works differently, so I have to be careful) in the link itself, but still, there's no markup help, so I really wonder sometimes about differences between browsers. Well, that's why computers are so interesting - they have decidedly a will of their own Wink

I do not suffer from LotR obsession - I enjoy every minute of it.

Advising Elf
Rohan

Aug 12 2008, 1:00pm

Post #15 of 17 (444 views)
Shortcut
Much grass. [In reply to] Can't Post

BTW, I was on a different computer when I posted here in Feedback, and I did the "spacebar thing" (as you mention below) and it still didn't make the link live.

Just one of the idiot-synchracies of computers, I guess.

a.s.
Valinor

Aug 13 2008, 10:10am

Post #16 of 17 (461 views)
Shortcut
1: can one hyperlink in Basic Editor? 2: being "locked out of" Advanced Editor [In reply to] Can't Post

As long as we're discussing links etc, let me ask: is it possible to insert hyperlinks in BE and I just couldn't figure out what to click? I almost always use Advanced Editor unless there is a spacing or font problem I caused by copy/pasting from elsewhere and I want to erase code. In other words, I'm not very good at BE!! I could figure out how to click the url and the / url button to make the link work, but not how to insert a hyperlink into the text and I've forgotten how to do that from the old boards (such html as I knew).

Please advise the clueless (me).

Cool

Secondly, every once in awhile when I open my browser to Torn and go to a forum and click "post new" and--using Advanced Editor which is my default--type in a subject line, when I try to put my cursor in the post box to begin typing my text, I can't. The cursor won't show in the box and I notice that at least some of the Advanced Editor features on the top bar (the tools like B I U and link picture frame, etc) are dark. I have to switch to Basic Editor just to type anything at all.

This has happened on occasion since we came to the new boards. Is it happening to anyone else? And:

How come?

a.s.

"an seileachan"

Altaira
Superuser

Aug 13 2008, 8:17pm

Post #17 of 17 (1390 views)
Shortcut
Answers [In reply to] Can't Post

Okay then,

On Q1: when you're in basic editor you have to use the 'markup' brackets [ ] to create links instead of the html brackets < >. Help is a click away any time you're in basic editor by clicking the "Get Markup Help" link above the post box. Scroll to the bottom for how to create links, imbed pictures, etc.

On Q2: I think I've explained before (no time to search now) that Internet Explorer isn't completely compatible with the Advanced Editor menu. The developers of Gossamer Forum went ahead and included the Advanced Editor because of all the nice and easy formatting options (and I don't think they realized there was this occasional glitch with IE). As new versions of IE come out, it should get better. The best way to 'fix' it is to get out of the "Post" window, then get back in.

Hope that helps. Smile

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"Life can't be all work and no TORn" -- jflower

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

TORn Calendar

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.