Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
"Deep they delved us, fair they wrought us,

Aunt Dora Baggins
Half-elven

Aug 11 2008, 10:43pm

Views: 171
Shortcut
"Deep they delved us, fair they wrought us, Can't Post

high they builded us, but they are gone."

On Saturday Uncle Baggins and I went hiking to one of our favorite places: an unnamed mountain up on the Continental Divide that we are pretty sure is an archaeological site. I read an article in the paper decades ago about a medicine wheel that had been vandalized in the park; people had rearranged the stones into a peace symbol. I kind of blame the rangers; they're secretive about which rock formations are archaeological sites, so when ignorant people come across them, they think "Oh, people have been arranging the rocks. What fun." And they rearrange them too. Anyway, I searched for years with no success, until I finally found a Canadian website with a list of medicine wheels in North America. It gave enough information for me to pinpoint this site, and when I went to it, there were several cairns on top of a mountain. I don't know if they are anything like their original arrangement, but it still feels like a magical place.

It was really beautiful Saturday. We got up at 3:30 and left home at 5 and drove for a couple of hours to get on the trail at 7:30, so we could get down before afternoon thunderstorms. It was misty and mysterious. It's a steep climb, but relatively short. We got on top at ten, and ate lunch. The sun came out, and butterflies flitted among the wildflowers. Absolutely heavenly. The only bad thing was the terrible devastation in the valley to the west: the pine bark beetles have killed about half the trees, and the epidemic is spreading. Luckily it only infests pine trees, but it's still stunningly horrible. After our hike we visited a campground that's been a family favorite for decades, and found out that the rangers have cut down all the trees, since they were dead and likely to fall and kill campers. I felt like Treebeard; "Many of these trees were my friends." But it's part of a natural cycle, and a good forest fire will allow the pine trees to germinate and start over.

Here's a slideshow of the photos; I hope this works:

slideshow

A few of the photos made me think especially of LotR:

Bridge at Rivendell

Hobbit hole

Rivendell Valley

And here are some tiny red oliphaunts

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
"A Chance Meeting at Rivendell" and other stories

leleni at hotmail dot com

(This post was edited by Aunt Dora Baggins on Aug 11 2008, 10:44pm)

Subject User Time
"Deep they delved us, fair they wrought us, Aunt Dora Baggins Send a private message to Aunt Dora Baggins Aug 11 2008, 10:43pm
    nice vtboyarc Send a private message to vtboyarc Aug 12 2008, 12:00am
    An Oliphaunt it was! dernwyn Send a private message to dernwyn Aug 12 2008, 12:52am
        Marmots come close Aunt Dora Baggins Send a private message to Aunt Dora Baggins Aug 12 2008, 3:09am
            He says WHAT? dernwyn Send a private message to dernwyn Aug 12 2008, 8:31pm
    What a beautiful place! Smeagirl/Girllum Send a private message to Smeagirl/Girllum Aug 12 2008, 10:29am
    That low sun shot of Rivendell silneldor Send a private message to silneldor Aug 12 2008, 12:14pm
        Mostly lodgepole pines are susceptible. Aunt Dora Baggins Send a private message to Aunt Dora Baggins Aug 12 2008, 2:09pm
            the pine beetles are really taking over the West Annael Send a private message to Annael Aug 12 2008, 2:45pm
                There go our telephone/power poles. silneldor Send a private message to silneldor Aug 13 2008, 2:23am
                    Do you know this song? Aunt Dora Baggins Send a private message to Aunt Dora Baggins Aug 13 2008, 2:56pm
                        Ha! silneldor Send a private message to silneldor Aug 14 2008, 2:00am
    Beautiful pictures Peredhil lover Send a private message to Peredhil lover Aug 12 2008, 2:56pm

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.