Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Lord of the Rings:
Movie Music Trivia Game and Discussion #4

Magpie
Immortal

Mar 24 2007, 6:58pm

Views: 1008
Shortcut
Movie Music Trivia Game and Discussion #4 Can't Post

(I know a Saturday afternoon is an odd time to post this, but I gotta grab my time when I can.)

I thought I would try a slightly different approach to this game... challenge... thingie.

• The first is to create a more distinct division between two aspects of this activity.
    • The Game
    • The Discussion

• The second is to provide two options for listening to the music:
    • Very short clips (6-15 seconds long): Providing short clips will make it easier to download them and it may make it easier to think about the music since one is left with a quick, first impression rather than overwhelmed by longer, more complex passages.
    • Access to longer clips: These will be helpful if one wants to dig deeper into the music.

The aspects of 'Game' and 'Discussion' have been part of the challenge from the beginning but, in not making a distinction, I think I’ve given the impression that one needs to participate in both parts in order to participate at all. If fact, participating in just one part is fine so I’ll try fine tuning my approach in order to facilitate that.

The 'Game':
I call it a game and then give all these parameters that move it out of the game definition. You can use resources to get answers. You can listen to movie clips with dialog and sound effects. I don’t tally up results and consider any form of answer to be participating. The reason I format it like a game or challenge is because it can be fun. For some of us.

But there’s another reason I want you to listen to something about which you’ve been given no knowledge. If I gave you a bunch of info about some music and then asked you what you thought, I think you’d be more inclined to think within the parameters of what you’ve been told. Without the ‘right’ answer... or the ‘official word’ our minds are free to roam where they will. I think there have been some wonderful observations on the music discussed so far and I’m not convinced we would have gotten some of those observations if we were working from the framework of the ‘official word’. And I think our observations are just as valid as the ‘official word’ and help to further inform the ‘official word’.

So, I encourage you to listen to the clips with no prior knowledge and form your own opinions. But you don’t have to. You can listen and not play the game, instead moving straight on to the discussion. Or you can skip listening to the clips at all, move to the discussion and add whatever thoughts or observations you have to the conversation there.

The Discussion:
Discussions are purely open forum. I'll provide the info I think you need to be informed about this music and then you all talk about it. The only questions I will ask are ones I wonder myself. I use the information I gather to think about the music emotionally because I don't have the background knowledge to think about it musically. Hopefully we'll get input on both levels. I don't think one needs to worry about whether one is right about something or not. Some observations were made in Trivia #3 that I've never seen anywhere in official information. And, far from being wrong, I think these observations more fully inform us about how the music affects us - whether it was a conscious intention on the composer's part or not. Additionally, I have--more than once--offered an opinion on music that seemed to contradict the composer himself. Am I wrong? Am I saying Shore is wrong? No... the music belongs to us now and, like many things in life, there is more than one way to view and react to the art. (Interestingly, after defending this position to other soundtrack fans a couple of times, Doug Adams said essentially the same thing in a response he gave to someone.) This isn't college... this is coffee shop.

I will create a subthread for each aspect and one for feedback:
  • Game: You’ll be asked to identify the scene for different clips, note any observations you have, and to speculate on what person, place, or concept the music represents.
  • Discussion: I will provide all pertinent information about the scenes and the music. This is open forum for discussion. I’m not really going to prompt with a lot of questions other than ones I wonder about myself. In this format, the answers are provided soon after the questions (within 24 hours... just give me time to write and format) instead of 4-7 days after the questions.
  • Feedback: let me know how the activity is working for you because this activity is designed to serve the members of this forum. Honest feedback - positive or negative - informs me greatly. I appreciate any you can give me. Honestly, the game is still in trial run and unless we get more participants, it will probably not continue.

Subject User Time
Movie Music Trivia Game and Discussion #4 Magpie Send a private message to Magpie Mar 24 2007, 6:58pm
    The Game Magpie Send a private message to Magpie Mar 24 2007, 7:19pm
        I'm having a problem FarFromHome Send a private message to FarFromHome Mar 24 2007, 8:51pm
            thanks... Magpie Send a private message to Magpie Mar 24 2007, 9:03pm
        Hey, I think I know all of these!! weaver Send a private message to weaver Mar 26 2007, 11:42pm
    The Discussion Magpie Send a private message to Magpie Mar 24 2007, 8:49pm
        Hoo boy is right! ;-) FarFromHome Send a private message to FarFromHome Mar 26 2007, 9:11pm
            responses to FFH... Magpie Send a private message to Magpie Apr 2 2007, 8:17pm
                Thanks Magpie! FarFromHome Send a private message to FarFromHome Apr 2 2007, 8:40pm
        This is like the Da Vinci code... weaver Send a private message to weaver Mar 26 2007, 11:56pm
            Good point FarFromHome Send a private message to FarFromHome Mar 27 2007, 8:41am
            responses to weaver Magpie Send a private message to Magpie Apr 2 2007, 8:32pm
                yep, just correct my math... weaver Send a private message to weaver Apr 2 2007, 10:20pm
                    Character themes Magpie Send a private message to Magpie Apr 2 2007, 10:28pm
                        Ok, I think that backs up my point.. weaver Send a private message to weaver Apr 2 2007, 10:49pm
                            Dwarves and Elves... Magpie Send a private message to Magpie Apr 2 2007, 10:56pm
                                So elves and dwarves themes are more associated with place... weaver Send a private message to weaver Apr 2 2007, 11:12pm
    Feedback Magpie Send a private message to Magpie Mar 24 2007, 9:01pm
        I like the three-part approach... weaver Send a private message to weaver Mar 27 2007, 12:03am
            a good question Magpie Send a private message to Magpie Mar 27 2007, 2:09am
        I like the two-part approach too FarFromHome Send a private message to FarFromHome Mar 27 2007, 8:56am
            Good comments Magpie Send a private message to Magpie Mar 27 2007, 2:01pm

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.