Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Fan Art:
Gollum

WonderBroad
Lorien

Mar 24 2007, 5:47pm

Post #1 of 5 (387 views)
Shortcut
Gollum Can't Post

This was a column illustration for Mythlore (a column of Gollum!), and was not based on any particular passage from LOTR. I did, however, look up as many references to Gollum's appearance as I could find in order to create this. In at least one place, Gollum's teeth are referred to as "fangs" ("...his white fangs gleamed, and they snapped as he bit." --ROTK) That's why he has fangs, although they weren't drawn to be prominent so they wouldn't be distracting. I also wanted to emphasize his bulging, "lamp-like" eyes, so I had him looking right at the viewer, warily and nassssstily, fixing him or her with his baleful stare.

Sssssssssssssssss!

Pen and ink.

(This post was edited by WonderBroad on Mar 24 2007, 5:51pm)

Patty
Immortal

Mar 24 2007, 7:04pm

Post #2 of 5 (240 views)
Shortcut
This is one of the best illustrations of Gollum that I've ever seen. [In reply to] Can't Post

Just about all other drawings are so focused on the way that Gollum has become they lose the essential fact that he still is human. They concentrate on the lizard-like quality and lose that which makes us able to relate to what he WAS, that which links him to us (or, the hobbits in this case.) Very well done indeed, Wonderbroad.

At home, amongst the Mallorn trees.

FingonOfPittsburgh
Lorien

Mar 24 2007, 8:29pm

Post #3 of 5 (226 views)
Shortcut
Very nice, WB! / [In reply to] Can't Post

///

Out of the darkness of my life, so much frustrated, I put before you the one great thing to love on earth: the Blessed Sacrament... There you will find romance, glory, honour, fidelity, and the true way of all your loves on earth, and more than that: Death: by the divine paradox, that which ends life, and demands the surrender of all, and yet by the taste (or foretaste) of which alone can what you seek in your earthly relationships (love, faithfulness, joy) be maintained, or take on that complexion of reality, of eternal endurance, which every man's heart desires.

--J.R.R. Tolkien, Letter #43, to his son Michael

elvenhobbit
Rohan

Mar 24 2007, 9:06pm

Post #4 of 5 (233 views)
Shortcut
it's the eyes of the preccccioussssss, precioussss.. [In reply to] Can't Post

wonderful drawing and definately a good impression.

-e_H-Smile

Elven by name, Hobbit by nature

'Road lead ever on and on
down from the door where it began
now far ahead the road has gone
down from where all began' -FOTR-

and through all the world has changed
the ages come and go with time
and yet those remain unchanged
unto they journey westward
over the sea...

Elberbeth
Tol Eressea

Mar 26 2007, 6:40pm

Post #5 of 5 (223 views)
Shortcut
Baleful is right!/ [In reply to] Can't Post

"There are some things that it is better to begin than to refuse, even though the end may be dark."

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.