The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Fan Art:
Frodo Encounters the Shirriffs at Frogmorton

WonderBroad
Lorien

Mar 24 2007, 5:17pm

Post #1 of 6 (567 views)
Shortcut
Frodo Encounters the Shirriffs at Frogmorton Can't Post

"As evening fell they were drawing near to Frogmorton, a village right on the Road, about twenty-two miles from the Bridge. There they meant to stay the night; The Floating Log at Frogmorton was a good inn. But as they came to the east end of the village they met a barrier with a large board saying NO ROAD; and behind it stood a large band of Shirriffs with staves in their hands and feathers in their caps, looking both important and rather scared.

"'What's all this?' said Frodo, feeling inclined to laugh.

"'This is what it is, Mr. Baggins,' said the leader of the Shirriffs, a two-feathered hobbit: 'You're arrested for Gate-breaking, and Tearing up of Rules, and Assaulting Gate-keepers, and Trespassing, and Sleeping in Shire-buildings without Leave, and Bribing Guards with Food.'

"'And what else?' said Frodo

"'That'll do to go on with,' said the Shirriff-leader."

--The Return of the King

I drew this while I was in graduate school. It was during a semester break, and I only had a very narrow window of time to get some new illustrations done for Mythlore, since I had intended to go to school year-round to finish my degree as soon as possible. So I had to draw this very quickly--not my favorite way of working. But it still turned out okay.

Pen and ink.

Beren IV
Gondor

Mar 25 2007, 1:11am

Post #2 of 6 (367 views)
Shortcut
Too busy to post much, but [In reply to] Can't Post

as usual your artwork is terrific. I'm not sure what to make of the Sherrifs' faces, though: they look angrier than they should be, more determined than they should be, I think.

Once a paleontologist, now a botanist, will be a paleobotanist

drogo
Lorien

Mar 25 2007, 2:06am

Post #3 of 6 (362 views)
Shortcut
I love seeing this scene [In reply to] Can't Post

i am particularly fond of the "Scouring" episode, so I love seeing an image of a scene that isn't commonly done. Very nice depiction of the Hobbits turning against each other.

(Formerly drogo of the two names!)

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Mar 25 2007, 3:46pm

Post #4 of 6 (379 views)
Shortcut
Strider looks angrier than the Shirriffs. [In reply to] Can't Post

Only the Shirriff leader looks particular angry. The one in the back shows some determination, and those looking at each other from the left and right seem uncertain. Frodo looks properly amused.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Detail from earliest version of Thror's MapTolkien Illustrated! Jan. 29-May 20: Visit the Reading Room to discuss art by John Howe, Alan Lee, Ted Nasmith and others, including Tolkien himself.

Mar. 19-25: Tolkien illustrates The Lord of the Rings

Beren IV
Gondor

Mar 25 2007, 7:41pm

Post #5 of 6 (365 views)
Shortcut
Frodo does look properly amused! [In reply to] Can't Post

Once a paleontologist, now a botanist, will be a paleobotanist

Elberbeth
Tol Eressea

Mar 26 2007, 6:42pm

Post #6 of 6 (370 views)
Shortcut
I love Frodo's little smile/ [In reply to] Can't Post

"There are some things that it is better to begin than to refuse, even though the end may be dark."

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.