Denver in 2008?
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Feb 18 2007, 10:42pm

Post #1 of 36 (2277 views)
Shortcut
Denver in 2008? Can't Post

J. Random Rohirrim (is she here yet?) and I will both be at the World Science Fiction Convention in Denver in August of 2008. I know Aunt Dora, Rosielass, and Altaira live in the area. Here's hoping we can all get together to raise a glass in honor of the good professor and of TORn.

Altaira
Superuser

Feb 18 2007, 11:01pm

Post #2 of 36 (1781 views)
Shortcut
That definitely caught my attention [In reply to] Can't Post

and we'll DEFINITELY have to plan on a TORn moot of some kind. Or several. WinkLaugh

What are the exact dates and where is it, do you know (says me who's to lazy to google it Blush)?

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

TORn Calendar

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Feb 19 2007, 2:12pm

Post #3 of 36 (1772 views)
Shortcut
Great! [In reply to] Can't Post

The convention is at the Colorado Convention Center, August 6-10, 2008. I haven't been to Denver in twenty years, so have no feel for the lay of the land. But we've got plenty of time to anticipate.

Here's the website for the con:

http://www.denver2008.com/index.php

deej
Tol Eressea

Feb 19 2007, 5:27pm

Post #4 of 36 (1761 views)
Shortcut
Denver, you say? [In reply to] Can't Post

You know, i've been wanting to go to this for some time now; maybe 2008 will be the year!

Sincerely, deej - The Artist Formerly Known as djdeathskiss

Atlanta Woot! Moot 2007 - Join us Labor Day weekend; go to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/atlanta_woot_moot/

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Feb 20 2007, 2:03pm

Post #5 of 36 (1736 views)
Shortcut
It would be great to meet you, and others who might show up! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm pretty phobic about downtown Denver traffic, but I could probably get Uncle Baggins to be my enabler. Please post reminders closer to time!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
Chance Meeting at Rivendell: a Tolkien Fanfic
and some other stuff I wrote...
leleni at hotmail dot com

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Feb 20 2007, 2:25pm

Post #6 of 36 (1729 views)
Shortcut
It's a date! [In reply to] Can't Post

Hopefully Rosie Lass will be able to join us, too.

I know what you mean, I'm pretty phobic about bad traffic, too. The Gaffer will be in Denver with me, perhaps he and Uncle Baggins will get a chance to talk about us behind our backs Wink

Inferno
Superuser / Moderator

Feb 20 2007, 6:26pm

Post #7 of 36 (1744 views)
Shortcut
Road Trip! [In reply to] Can't Post

Have to see if I can get out there then too-- even if it does mean driving across Wyoming.

Inferno.

JPB
The Shire

Feb 21 2007, 1:55am

Post #8 of 36 (1783 views)
Shortcut
Downtown Denver pedestrian traffic flow? [In reply to] Can't Post

Now this is off topic to the thread, but when I was a little boy, I remember visiting Denver with my family. And one thing I seem to remember is that they had, at a couple of intersections, diagonal crosswalks - where you could cross the intersection diagonally.

This is the memory of a seven year old boy, so perhaps I am just remembering an intersection where more than two streets met, or such.

But that memory is so vivid... And I remember thinking wow...

Anybody know for sure?

JRandomRohirrim
Rohan

Feb 21 2007, 2:38am

Post #9 of 36 (1751 views)
Shortcut
Hey, Lily - of COURSE I'll be There [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm a little slow on the board because I was at Boskone until late last night.

But, yes, Jim and I will be at Denver (barring anything unforeseen). I'm serving as Webmaster for the Denver Web site (any suggestions?) and will be co-running the Hugo Award Ceremony with my friend Gay Ellen Dennett. My husband Jim is running Program Ops, and will probably make some programming suggestions.

Boycott New Line!
http://www.boycottnewline.com

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Feb 21 2007, 2:52pm

Post #10 of 36 (1734 views)
Shortcut
All right! [In reply to] Can't Post

It sounds like we're going to have a great moot! Everyone save the date! Woo hoo!

(Speaking of crosswalks, I know nothing about Denver, but some years ago I attended Stephens College in Columbia, MO. The two parts of the campus were catty-cornered to each other, separated by a major intersection. Once every cycle, all the traffic lights would turn red at the same time, allowing the students to cross the streets diagonally -- a helpful feature when you were late to class. We called the light "the scramble light".)

Foe
Lorien

Feb 21 2007, 9:55pm

Post #11 of 36 (1762 views)
Shortcut
Sounds interesting enough [In reply to] Can't Post

(I can't believe they have folks signed up already, it's barely 2007!)

I would like to attend but it falls right between ComicCon and DragonCon and I'm determined to make both of them next year (and possibly this year, yet doubtful).

Have fun, it's only, what, 650 days away! Wink

Email Foe!

Foe's LiveJournal!

Foe's Myspace!

YIM, AIM, MSN= foehelm

Annael
Immortal

Feb 22 2007, 4:23am

Post #12 of 36 (1713 views)
Shortcut
I might be interested! [In reply to] Can't Post

I've been thinking I need to visit my peeps in Denver and Boulder one of these days; a Sci-Fi con would be plenty of incentive!

That, and I want Aunt Dora to take me hiking.Cool

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 22 2007, 4:32am

Post #13 of 36 (1700 views)
Shortcut
Definitely [In reply to] Can't Post

I was in downtown Denver a few years ago for a project and walked on the diagonal crosswalks. Of course, I do that here at home, but it's not actually legal......

Each cloak was fastened about the neck with a brooch like a green leaf veined with silver.
`Are these magic cloaks?' asked Pippin, looking at them with wonder.
`I do not know what you mean by that,' answered the leader of the Elves.

NARF since 1974.
Balin Bows

CAhobbit
Rohan

Feb 22 2007, 4:40am

Post #14 of 36 (1717 views)
Shortcut
Hmmmmm [In reply to] Can't Post

That sounds interesting. And since Denver isn't too far away from me. I'll have to make a final decision once 2007 comes to a close.

Of course it means I'll have to forfeit going to DragonCon again though (but since I'm going this year then that won't be a problem methinks).

And why I didn't attend when it was in L.A. last year is beyond me.

Do not meddle in the affairs of hobbits for we can bite your kneecaps off!

CAhobbit's flickr page

CAhobbit's myspace

(This post was edited by cahobbit on Feb 22 2007, 4:42am)

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Feb 22 2007, 4:00pm

Post #15 of 36 (1705 views)
Shortcut
In August I70 should be OK [In reply to] Can't Post

and that's a gorgeous drive. But I kind of like the Wyomng drive too. There's a place we always stop in Green River WY that has a little park in an island in the river. I don't know why, but I just love that little island.

"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Feb 22 2007, 4:02pm

Post #16 of 36 (1688 views)
Shortcut
Well, [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Now this is off topic to the thread, but when I was a little boy, I remember visiting Denver with my family. And one thing I seem to remember is that they had, at a couple of intersections, diagonal crosswalks - where you could cross the intersection diagonally.

This is the memory of a seven year old boy, so perhaps I am just remembering an intersection where more than two streets met, or such.

But that memory is so vivid... And I remember thinking wow...

Anybody know for sure?

I don't know about Denver, but they definitely have those in Estes Park.

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Feb 22 2007, 4:04pm

Post #17 of 36 (1712 views)
Shortcut
Ooh, ooh, ooh! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I've been thinking I need to visit my peeps in Denver and Boulder one of these days; a Sci-Fi con would be plenty of incentive!

That, and I want Aunt Dora to take me hiking.Cool

I would *love* to take you hiking!

Inferno
Superuser / Moderator

Feb 22 2007, 4:36pm

Post #18 of 36 (1686 views)
Shortcut
I-70 adds about 3 hours to the trip [In reply to] Can't Post

I-80 through Wyoming is much faster, even if it's nowhere near as scenic. I love the I-70 drive, but I usually opt to spend those extra hours with the people I'm visiting instead. =)

Inferno.

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Feb 22 2007, 9:21pm

Post #19 of 36 (1691 views)
Shortcut
And another ooh ooh! [In reply to] Can't Post

Hiking? Mountains? Can the Gaffer and I come too? (I'm remembering something Bilbo said about tottering around in the wild . . .Wink )

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Feb 22 2007, 10:58pm

Post #20 of 36 (1702 views)
Shortcut
Yay, a hobbit walking party!/ [In reply to] Can't Post

JRandomRohirrim
Rohan

Feb 23 2007, 3:01am

Post #21 of 36 (1726 views)
Shortcut
That would be way cool... [In reply to] Can't Post

My husband and I are working on the con, but it would be way cool to spend a day or two before or after the Worldcon to hike and chat. It might be fun to find a few cabins in the mountains outside of Denver to rent for a night or two and do something outdoors. That's one thing that's always unfortunate about Worldcons - you wind up inside for about a week straight with very little connection to the outside world. That's very "anti-Tolkien" (even if we do spend a surprising about of time talking about Tolkien and LOTR at Worldcon).

Boycott New Line!

Annael
Immortal

Feb 23 2007, 5:16am

Post #22 of 36 (1687 views)
Shortcut
count me in for the cabin idea [In reply to] Can't Post

that's my idea of the best vacation: find a fun place to stay in the mountains & cram it with people, spend all day hiking, cook big dinners, & talk (or play music & sing) far too late into the night - then sleep on the plane home -

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

JRandomRohirrim
Rohan

Feb 23 2007, 11:29am

Post #23 of 36 (1672 views)
Shortcut
Right you are [In reply to] Can't Post

Just before ConJose (the 2002 Worldcon in San Jose), a group of us rented some cabins in the vineyard of a winery up in Napa for a couple of days. We didn't do too much hiking (except in a state park one morning); but, on the second night, we had an extended picnic in the vineyard which was way, way cool.

Does anyone know the mountains outside of Denver? I've briefly been to Colorado Springs, but that was in December so we didn't get out too much that weekend. Is there an interesting spot, say, within an hour or two of Denver to hunker down for a couple of nights?

Boycott New Line!

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Feb 23 2007, 12:51pm

Post #24 of 36 (1703 views)
Shortcut
My favorite stomping grounds are in Rocky Mountain National Park [In reply to] Can't Post

which is northwest of Denver about an hour and a half. There are lots of cabins in Estes Park, just outside the park. Maybe we could get something at the Y-camp, which has cabins for rent. But if you want something closer to Denver, we'll have to do some research. My hiking lore is pretty limited geographically. Maybe something in the Indian Peaks south of Rocky would be good.

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Feb 23 2007, 5:05pm

Post #25 of 36 (1658 views)
Shortcut
Count us in! [In reply to] Can't Post

The Gaffer and I are lovers of mountains and good company, so this sounds like a great idea.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.