Laerasea's Travelling TORn Journal Website

Kelvarhin
Half-elven

Aug 4 2008, 6:06am

Post #1 of 24 (322 views)
Shortcut
Laerasea's Travelling TORn Journal Website Can't Post

Hi all

As promised I've started a special section on my site for the Travelling TORn Journal. It's still a bit rough, so I'm looking for feedback, I've already had quite a bit from laerasea, with many thanks to her for that too. The link is only accessed through my and laerasea's signatures, I'm not going to put one from my personal site, as this is mainly for TORnSibs only Wink

Laerasea's Travelling TORn Journal

I've deliberately left it quite simple, but would like to know what everyone else thinks. The fern leaves on the internal pages are from the lovely New Zealand Silver Fern, in case anyone's wondering Wink Anyway let me know what you think.

*hugs*
Kelvarhin x

Valinor, O Valinor
Andavë yányë hyarya
Tumna yá nyèna minya fëa
An Valinor, lissë Eldamar

Kelvarhin's Universe~~~~~~~Laerasea's Travelling TORn Journal
In the land of TORnadoes...where the brilliant play (with thanks to grammaboodawg :) )
Is TORn...Is Good

Daughter of Nienna
Grey Havens

Aug 4 2008, 8:21am

Post #2 of 24 (220 views)
Shortcut
The Map page [In reply to] Can't Post

is just fine for now... I found it very helpful to have that visual aid. Perhaps, at some point, larger versions of specific areas (ie: South West US or North East US; or Western Europe) When it is in those areas for the benifit of those people, just so that the cities are more distingushable. Just a thought.

For now, it's great for me, since I am in he middle of hte Ocean. On the website, is there going to written route as well, somewhere?

DoN
Heart

** Posting Flat Mode vs. Threaded Mode ** (New Posters, please read)
Art Gallery Revised, Aloha & Mahalo, Websites Directory

Nienna: “those who hearken to her learn pity, and endurance in hope . . . All those who wait in Mandos cry to her, for she brings strength to the spirit and turns sorrow to wisdom." — Valaquenta

Kelvarhin
Half-elven

Aug 4 2008, 8:24am

Post #3 of 24 (205 views)
Shortcut
Yep [In reply to] Can't Post

laerasea is working on it, she's gonna to email it to me tomorrow, I'm planning on adding it to the Home page, so it's easy to find.

Valinor, O Valinor
Andavë yányë hyarya
Tumna yá nyèna minya fëa

In the land of TORnadoes...where the brilliant play (with thanks to grammaboodawg :) )
Is TORn...Is Good

FantasyFan
Rohan

Aug 4 2008, 11:44am

Post #4 of 24 (207 views)
Shortcut
looking at the map, [In reply to] Can't Post

I can tell the route and how many people have it before I do. Is there any estimated time table yet?

(PS: a map is a great idea.)

"That is one thing that Men call 'hope.' Amdir we call it, 'looking up.' But there is another which is founded deeper. Estel we call it, that is 'trust.' It is not defeated by the ways of the world, for it does not come from experience, but from our nature and First Being. If we are indeed the Eruhin, the Children of the One, then He will not suffer Himself to be deprived of His own, not by any enemy, not even by ourselves. This is the last foundation of estel, which we keep even when we contemplate the End. Of all His designs the issue must be for His children's joy."
Finrod, Athrabeth Finrod ah Andreth, HoME X Morgoth's Ring

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Aug 4 2008, 12:08pm

Post #5 of 24 (214 views)
Shortcut
*wild applause* This is brilliant! [In reply to] Can't Post

WOW! I'm so excited and impressed! You guys are a great team :D

The maps are excellent, imho. I know we can't do this for privacy sake, but I found myself wishing we could know who lived at each pinpoint... like a hovering over the pin and get a list of names. Then again, the names appearing on the list would kinda divulge that, methinks. I know I wouldn't mind my location being visible since I've never been too quiet about it ;)

That's the ONLY thing I found myself thinking that could be added or different. I love the fern motif. It's very fitting for the quest :D

Thank you both for this! I can't WAIT to see the names start to surface.

sample

"Barney Snow was here." ~Hug like a hobbit!~ "In my heaven..."

TORn's Observations Lists

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Aug 4 2008, 3:36pm

Post #6 of 24 (186 views)
Shortcut
Wow... [In reply to] Can't Post

That's a nice, easy-to-figure-out setup! Smile

And yes, having a map is fantastic. Great work, Kel!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

"It struck me last night that you might write a fearfully good romantic drama, with as much of the 'supernatural' as you cared to introduce. Have you ever thought of it?"
-Geoffrey B. Smith, letter to JRR Tolkien, 1915

Laerasëa
Tol Eressea

Aug 4 2008, 4:04pm

Post #7 of 24 (234 views)
Shortcut
*blushing* Ah- yes, [In reply to] Can't Post

I kind of cut Hawaii off- not intentionally, mind you!! But, sadly, yes, you currently live in the middle of the ocean. (sorry! Pinning things on maps is not my forte, I've learned!)

Here is your written route:
Menelwyn
Me (laerasea) 8/15/08 (I will send it by the 15th at the latest)
Kimi 9/5/08
Eledhwen 9/16/08
Roheryn 9/27/08
Elven 10/6/08
Kevlarhin 10/17/08
Leo 11/14/08
Rosie-W-T-R 11/24/08
Jazmine 12/6/08
Lothiriel1961 12/15/08
Nuradar 1/2/09
Lady of Light 1/12/09
Elberbeth 1/21/09
Anorien 1/31/09
Annael 2/9/09
CAHobbit 2/18/09
DoN 2/28/09
Ainu Laire 3/11/09
RosieLass 3/21/09
Altaira 3/30/09
Arwen's Daughter 4/9/09
Magpie
Zmulady
Hobbitlove
Ordinaryhobbit
Radhruin 5/13/09
MB 5/23/09
WhiteLadyEowyn 6/2/09
Alcarcalime/OhioHobbit 6/11/09
FantasyFan 6/20/09
gramma 6/30/09
Aerin 7/11/09
a.s. 7/23/09
Idril Celebrindal 8/3/09
dernwyn 8/15/09
Greendragon 8/26/09
Sunflower 9/5/09
S/G 9/15/09
weaver 9/26/09
Elanor TX (10/10/09)

The dates are for when the current journal-holder should send their journal. If you send it earlier, that's fine- if you need more time (due to a busy schedule, mailing issues, whatever)- just PM me. I tried to give everyone a decent amount of time, but since it's very likely that this list might change, I'm going to put any mention of an update in my signature- I won't post a new thread every time it changes, however, I'll keep any notice of an update for about a week (and it will actually be changed on the site).
I was admittedly a bit lazy with Minnesota- I just gave everyone there one month, not including mailing, since I got more than one message and saw more than one post about mooting up there- if you want me to arrange something more specific, just tell me, but as of now, all I know is that it's likely that you will get together to make entries in the journal- I don't know where, or who will receive it, or who will be sending it (I just put Magpie as receiving and Radhruin as sending for now- if I should change something there, tell me!)
MB is a good buddy of mine on another LOTR forum- she is actually a user on here from the old forums- I'll PM Radhruin and WhiteLadyEowyn about her address and all that.
ElanorTX- congrats, I put a date next to your name for fun, but that is not really hard-core; you can pretty much send it when you're done with it- I'm not going to be wildly picky about the date I get it back (I mean, it won't be much cause for an update if you're late).
I'll pretty much send the journal as soon as Menelwyn's done (I've been waiting to create this list until I'd had an opportunity to give it to her).

I think that's all- I emailed this list to Kel (and again, ***thank you thank you thank you so much for the wonderful site!***), and it will be posted on her site sometime today or tomorrow.

Thanks, all!

*Edit*- it would be helpful for me if you could send your addresses to the person you're receiving it from; Minnesota, I'll leave it up to yall for who sends their address to Arwen's Daughter- I was just thinking Magpie, but like I said- i didn't really have an order in mind when I posted your names. (sorry about that!)

Traveling Journal Official Site
Thanks, Kel, for the amazing site!

"Cows are my passion. What I have ever sighed for has been to retreat to a Swiss farm, and live entirely surrounded by cows - and china." -Dickens
"He who has never failed somewhere, that man can not be great.-Melville
"We may brave human laws, but we cannot resist natural ones." -Verne
"All bad poetry springs from genuine feeling. To be natural is to be obvious, and to be obvious is to be inartistic." -Wilde

(This post was edited by laerasea on Aug 4 2008, 4:11pm)

Elven
Valinor

Aug 4 2008, 6:19pm

Post #8 of 24 (180 views)
Shortcut
This is awesome Kel! [In reply to] Can't Post

WOW!!
Im so looking forward to following the Journals travels!
The site looks fantastic, you've done a great job!

So many places for this little journal to visit!
Its exciting!

Thankyou so much for all your efforts!
Cheers
Elven x

Were off to Hobbiton finally!

Tolkien was a Capricorn!!
Russell Crowe for Beorn!!

Daughter of Nienna
Grey Havens

Aug 4 2008, 7:05pm

Post #9 of 24 (180 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for the Written List! [In reply to] Can't Post

Don't worry about Hawaii... I wasn't really thinking about the 'cut off' thing. I was lookiing at how some of hte cities on the maps seem to be squished togeher and indistinguishable... which is not a problem with Hawaii.

I meant to add...
I think the site is beautiful and very enviting and tranquil... I love how it looks like Rivendell. Well done.

Thanks for the Written List!

** Posting Flat Mode vs. Threaded Mode ** (New Posters, please read)
Art Gallery Revised, Aloha & Mahalo, Websites Directory

Nienna: “those who hearken to her learn pity, and endurance in hope . . . All those who wait in Mandos cry to her, for she brings strength to the spirit and turns sorrow to wisdom." — Valaquenta

(This post was edited by Daughter of Nienna on Aug 4 2008, 7:08pm)

Zmulady
Rohan

Aug 4 2008, 7:17pm

Post #10 of 24 (171 views)
Shortcut
good job [In reply to] Can't Post

it looks great! Thanks you guys for making this happen.

Nessa

Aug 4 2008, 7:37pm

Post #11 of 24 (179 views)
Shortcut
I've signed up so getting in touch will be easier...no more "who is this MB person!" [In reply to] Can't Post

MB I will be no longer...I'm all signed up as Nessa now! Smile

Jazmine
Tol Eressea

Aug 4 2008, 8:52pm

Post #12 of 24 (171 views)
Shortcut
This is exciting! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm looking forward to being a part of it!

*Jazminatar the Brown*

weaver
Half-elven

Aug 4 2008, 9:34pm

Post #13 of 24 (156 views)
Shortcut
what a nice gift! [In reply to] Can't Post

Your work on this is really nice!

I confess I have no head for maps (like Sam!), so I'll need the written list of where the journal is going in order to follow its progress. But this sure is pretty!

Weaver

Ainu Laire
Tol Eressea

Aug 4 2008, 11:35pm

Post #14 of 24 (153 views)
Shortcut
Very cool :) [In reply to] Can't Post

I've designed some websites in the past, so a little critique... if you do not mind. Do what you will with it, it is your site, after all. :)

For the map pages, I'd make the background plain, with perhaps designs on the borders- but nothing else. The reason is that once the pages are added, the background may really clash with the images, so you want to keep the background plain and a more neutral color. The most ideal background you have so far is the one on the home page, right after the entry page. Even then it can get plainer.

The front page- the welcome "enter" page- is a bit difficult to read. What you may want to do is either make the background much more opaque (50%+ opacity) or even make it so the bg is a small picture on the center of the screen with the enter button either right below it or making the image the enter button.

You may want to have a similar color scheme to all the pages, so people can easily see that each page- enter page included- is part of the website. You'll notice, for instance, that TORn has a strict green-grey color scheme that makes the formatting look nice and professional.

I recommend you put the background to non-repeat so it doesn't repeat and remains one image :)

If you need anymore html or css assistance, I always used lissa explains (through google search, you'll get it). It helped me design my first website at 11, and while it's kid-oriented, it's in plain speech and just ridiculously easy to use. The website I created at 12-13 is www.geocities.com/ainu_laire and I got all the help from the website.

In the end, it's awesome that you are doing this- it will be nice to see all of the pictures.

My LJ
My art site
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
NARF since age 8, when I refused to read the Hobbit because the cover looked boring and icky.

(This post was edited by Ainu Laire on Aug 4 2008, 11:39pm)

Kelvarhin
Half-elven

Aug 5 2008, 1:51am

Post #15 of 24 (155 views)
Shortcut
List [In reply to] Can't Post

Being a bit lazy and answering your email here. Wink Yep this can be changed as often as necessary on the site, just let me know the changes and I can do it. Pretty much everything can be tweeked, as you've seen over the last few days. Just a shame I still can't find my proper design disks so I'm having to rely on the online designer. Got a horrible suspicion that they were in one of the bags that got thrown out by mistake when we movedCrazy I hope not, but it's not looking hopeful.

Anyway the site doesn't need to be as fancy or high tech as some of the ones I've done in the past, in fact for dial-up users, it's better that it's not. Think I told you that before (???)

Sorry rambling, still quite sleepy.

Will make the changes today. Cool

Nearly forgot, again Crazy, were you including my home email address with the note you were sending with the journal or is everyone just gonna PM me for it? A couple of people do already have it.

Valinor, O Valinor
Andavë yányë hyarya
Tumna yá nyèna minya fëa

Is TORn...Is Good

(This post was edited by Kelvarhin on Aug 5 2008, 1:54am)

Kelvarhin
Half-elven

Aug 5 2008, 1:59am

Post #16 of 24 (146 views)
Shortcut
I did think of that too [In reply to] Can't Post

It could be one of the things we add as the journal travels, tie in with the growing side list of names. It just depends on how everyone else feels about it, I guess. I don't mind, I've been much the same as you about where I live.

Valinor, O Valinor
Andavë yányë hyarya
Tumna yá nyèna minya fëa

Is TORn...Is Good

Kelvarhin
Half-elven

Aug 5 2008, 2:03am

Post #17 of 24 (148 views)
Shortcut
I'm glad you like it :) [In reply to] Can't Post

though with the map, laerasea did all the hard work on that, and I'm really impressed that she did, she had a splitting migraine at the time and I know how hard it is to think when you've got one of them. Unsure

Thank you for the positive feedback BlushSmile

Valinor, O Valinor
Andavë yányë hyarya
Tumna yá nyèna minya fëa

Is TORn...Is Good

Kelvarhin
Half-elven

Aug 5 2008, 2:17am

Post #18 of 24 (149 views)
Shortcut
Thank you everyone for the great feedback [In reply to] Can't Post

Forgot to mention before, when you scan your pages, could you make sure you all use a high resolution? I can adjust them when I receive them, so that they won't take forever to load for our dial-up Sibs. My email client allows me to receive files up to 20MB in size, though I would prefer it if you can keep them below 5MB if possible.

Thanks again.

*hugs*
Kel

Valinor, O Valinor
Andavë yányë hyarya
Tumna yá nyèna minya fëa

Is TORn...Is Good

Kelvarhin
Half-elven

Aug 5 2008, 5:32am

Post #19 of 24 (175 views)
Shortcut
Estimated Timetable List is now up on the site :) [In reply to] Can't Post

hope it's easy enough to read. WinkCool

Once I've heard that the journal has left a particular sib I'll change their nick to blue.

Cheers Kel x

Valinor, O Valinor
Andavë yányë hyarya
Tumna yá nyèna minya fëa

Is TORn...Is Good

(This post was edited by Kelvarhin on Aug 5 2008, 5:36am)

Laerasëa
Tol Eressea

Aug 5 2008, 4:04pm

Post #20 of 24 (166 views)
Shortcut
No problem- [In reply to] Can't Post

I've pretty much been the epitome of laziness the past few days...*yawn* Wink.

Anyway, I can put your email in the journal, if you'd like- whatever's easiest for you, although if memory serves (and mine is pretty bad) you did mention email would be better, because of the size of the files you can fit on your emails (you said to keep each page under 5 MB, though, I think). So, like I said- whatever you'd like. I'll probably have another couple of days with the journal before I send it off, so I can easily add your address.

*Note to people who see this- in the journal, I've put a table of contents of sorts at the beginning- if possible, could you put your name and page number, and then put a page number at the bottom of the page you're writing on? (ie, I put laerasea-1, and wrote a small one at the bottom of my page)
If this works, you will have the same page number as on Kel's site- and it will be more fun to flip through- plus, it'd just be more organized. Crazy
Thanks!

Traveling Journal Official Site
Thanks, Kel, for the amazing site!

"Cows are my passion. What I have ever sighed for has been to retreat to a Swiss farm, and live entirely surrounded by cows - and china." -Dickens
"He who has never failed somewhere, that man can not be great.-Melville
"We may brave human laws, but we cannot resist natural ones." -Verne
"All bad poetry springs from genuine feeling. To be natural is to be obvious, and to be obvious is to be inartistic." -Wilde

Kelvarhin
Half-elven

Aug 6 2008, 1:01am

Post #21 of 24 (123 views)
Shortcut
That'd probably be easiest [In reply to] Can't Post

I'll also put a link on the site, just in case.

Thanks again for this.

*Hugs*
Kel x

Valinor, O Valinor
Andavë yányë hyarya
Tumna yá nyèna minya fëa

Is TORn...Is Good

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Aug 6 2008, 11:10am

Post #22 of 24 (122 views)
Shortcut
Good Plan! [In reply to] Can't Post

I think that's the best way to approach it. Thanks so much for doing all of this you guys :D

sample

Kelvarhin
Half-elven

Aug 8 2008, 8:12am

Post #23 of 24 (109 views)
Shortcut
Your wish is our command *bows* ;) [In reply to] Can't Post

Well nearly LOL, we've put individual map sites attached to everyone's names in the written list of the journals travels. I haven't placed em at our actual homes or if I have it was unintentional, they're just floating over our various states/countries Wink

Hope you like it.

*hugs Heart*

Kel x

Valinor, O Valinor
Andavë yányë hyarya
Tumna yá nyèna minya fëa

Is TORn...Is Good

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Aug 8 2008, 2:21pm

Post #24 of 24 (109 views)
Shortcut
Wow! Fabulous! [In reply to] Can't Post

You are a wonder... fersher! It's brilliant! THANK YOU! :D

sample

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.