Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Lord of the Rings:
BBC Radio Adaptation LOTR Episode 9 Last Parts

ArathornJax
Lorien

Aug 3 2008, 7:21am

Views: 153
Shortcut
BBC Radio Adaptation LOTR Episode 9 Last Parts Can't Post

I thought I would finish up Episode 8 and then move into Episode 9. Please don't feel like you have to respond to everything, I just have included a lot and left a lot off. Feel free to respond when time allows, and/or to what you want or add your own impressions to the ending of the Episode.

1. I am picking up after Pippin has looked into the Palantir at Isengard and is taken away to Minis Tirith by Gandalf. How do you feel about the placing of Pippin's Palantir experience here at Isengard? Does the scene convey the tension of the moment? How is that obtained or what could they have done to obtained the threat that this poised to the West?

2. The Episode now leaves Isengard. Theoden, Eomer, Aragorn and company leave Isengard to begin their journey to Minis Tirith on the mountain paths to Dunharrow. Aragorn confirms that he and his party will ride with Theoden since he cannot see the way that he should go. Why this indecision on Aragorn's part? Has his foresight left him? Why as character does Aragorn seem to at times have this indecision? Is that a sign of a future king and leader of the West? Are you enjoying yet Sir Robert Stephens portrayal of Aragorn?

3. Now we come across a scene that I am so happy was included in this adaptation, and that I wish PJ had included (at least in the EE of the ROTK); the arrival of Halbarad Dúnadan, Ranger of the North (but no sons of Elrond). Aragorn's spirit seems to soar with their arrival, why? Does it matter to you that Elladan and Elrohir are missing? Or is having Halbarad represent them all enough for you?

4. Is the standard that Halbarad carries along with the words from Lady Arwen sufficient to give Aragorn hope in this hour of gloom? Is it the arrival of his kinsmen, with the words of Arwen and the standard that give Aragorn the surety he needs to move forward? Is Aragorn already assured of his mission and his quest, that by proving himself to the people of Gondor in battle (remembering that the last king chosen by Gondor Earnil had proven himself as a Captain) and becoming king, seeing Sauron defeated would unite Aragorn with what he wanted most, Arwen (and vice versa). Do you see this episode as important in the development of Aragorn in this adaptation?

5. Does the listener have enough information to realize the danger of the Path's of the Dead? I think Theoden conveys fear of that place in his voice while talking to Aragorn and is that fear in Theoden's voice enough to convey to the listener that this is not a place most men seek out?

6. Between Aragorn and Gandalf, they both seem to know what is best for Merry and Pippin throughout the story. Aragorn from Bree to Rivendell, with Gandalf convincing Elrond to send Merry and Pippin in Rivendell, to Aragorn deciding to pursue the Orcs who had captured them, to now with Merry. Why do Aragorn and Gandalf have such foresight regarding these two hobbits?

7. Why does Aragorn now come forth and explain to Theoden and Eomer that he had looked into the Palantir of Orthanc? Why convey that to Legolas and Gimli? Is Aragorn a little prideful here when he tells Sauron "This is no Wizard or Halfling that you may bend to your will." Or is Aragorn secure in his position as the rightful heir of the stone and thus communicates that to Sauron?

8. Does the reflection of Aragorn work for you and does his conversation with Gimli and Legolas show the danger that Minis Tirith is in? What do you think of the notion that Sauron is not so mighty that he is not above fear? What about the background that Aragorn gives to Legolas and Gimli, is this sufficient explanation on why Aragorn and his party are going to go on the Paths of the Dead?

9. What do you think of Smeagol's gift of the rabbits? More importantly what do you think of the conversation between Smeagol and Sam at this point in the story? Are we seeing anything in their relationship that could be of significance later? Does Smeagol's dislike of cooked foods, vegetables with herbs contrast with Sam's desire to have a cooked meal? Does it make sense to have a fire and a cooked mean so near enemy country to you or are they just really sick of lembas? What are your views on the conversation of Sam and Frodo? How do you think this version compared to that in PJ's? Which elements do you like and why?

10. When the Ranger of
Ithilien is heard
mimicking a bird, it sounds just like that, a man mimicking a bird. Would you expect a ranger to do a closer impersonation? What is your image of these men right now? Frodo and Sam quickly return to the moment now, and react quickly. I like how this episodes leaves off introducing us to Faramir's voice, and leaving it undecided on what will happen next. What about you?

11. Finally, I tried to just do some quick posts on the rest of Episode 8, so if anyone has anything to add to it, please do so. I'll start Episode 9 late tomorrow night (barring that the internet is working at my house) or Monday sometime.

12. For Fun:

My Old Gaffer Gamgee's Coney Stew

Another Recipe

Interesting fact from the above recipe:
Rabbit was introduced to Britain by the Normans who bred the animals in large, artificial warrens. Rabbit was a dish that was kept only for Nobility and Royalty. Later as rabbits naturalized throughout Britain and in spite of stringent poaching laws, rabbit eventually became a working mans meat. Traditionally this dish was served with a parsley sauce as well as the white sauce.

I wonder if Tolkien knew rabbit was introduced by the Normans?

Edit: I have to say I don't think I could eat rabbit as my son raises them and just adores them.

By the way, if you want to reply to the recipe's that is fine also (even if your not listening to the adaptation!).

" . . . (we are ) too engrossed in thinking of everything as a preparation or training or making one fit -- for what? At any minute it is what we are and are doing, not what we plan to be and do that counts."

J.R.R. Tolkien in his 6 October 1940 letter to his son Michael Tolkien.

Come over to the LOTR Movie Thread and discuss the 1981 BBC Adaptation of the LOTR.

(This post was edited by ArathornJax on Aug 3 2008, 7:29am)

Subject User Time
BBC Radio Adaptation LOTR Episode 9 Last Parts ArathornJax Send a private message to ArathornJax Aug 3 2008, 7:21am
    The more I listen to this adaptation grammaboodawg Send a private message to grammaboodawg Aug 3 2008, 12:47pm
    Catching up Jazmine Send a private message to Jazmine Aug 4 2008, 8:56pm
    You're looking good, AJ...! Patty Send a private message to Patty Aug 6 2008, 6:32pm
    Right... Jazmine Send a private message to Jazmine Aug 8 2008, 6:44pm
    Was Aragorn prideful here? Patty Send a private message to Patty Aug 11 2008, 5:04pm

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.