Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Lord of the Rings:
Did You Ever Notice... Arwen's Requiem Gown and Cloak?
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Arwen's daughter
Half-elven

Jul 31 2008, 10:55pm

Post #1 of 26 (8971 views)
Shortcut
Did You Ever Notice... Arwen's Requiem Gown and Cloak? Can't Post

This is the dress and the cloak Arwen wears when her father convinces her to leave for Valinor. It is very similar in construction to her Coronation Gown. This is a two piece dress. There is a blue velvet jumper and a satin underdress with wide silver brocade sleeves. The lower part of the sleeve is a half-circle of fabric so that it is very full and very long.

The necklines of both dresses are trimmed with beaded silver trimming. The upper sleeves are embroidered and beaded with a flower pattern. There is also a band of silver trim along the seam of the lower and upper sleeves.

The cloak is a wide circle of silk velvet with an M-shaped hood. The velvet has been painted with gold and silver dragonflies.

Look at all the fabric in the back of that cloak!

A swatch of the velvet, from the traveling exhibit:

This extremely fuzzy photo is a good shot of the shape of the hood. It's very different from any hood I've seen.

A sketch of the butterfly clasp (you can see the actual pin best in the second picture up at the top of the post). The sketch is from the ACS website and is by Meguet.

You can find more detail on this dress over at AlleyCatScratch and The Costumer's Guide.

So, any thoughts?

Did You Ever Notice? is a roving discussion taking a look at some of the detail in the films one costume at a time. It doesn't appear on any particular day and follows no order. You can always find previous discussion at my Costume Discussion Archive.

My LiveJournal
My Costuming Site
TORn's Costume Discussions Archive
August Screencap of the Day Schedule

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Aug 1 2008, 12:28am

Post #2 of 26 (6360 views)
Shortcut
Some of the most mesmerizing [In reply to] Can't Post

shots of Arwen are in this cloak when she has the vision of Eldarion and Aragorn, imho. Absolutely stunning and ethereal. The silver brocade sleeves remind me of the sleeve work in her riding outfit she wore when rescuing Frodo. The detail, as always, is something easy to miss... so I'm deeply appreciative that you give us this opportunity to stop and look at the stunning work.

Isn't she amazing!? Thanks so much, Arwen's daughter. You did your Mom proud :D

sample

"Barney Snow was here." ~Hug like a hobbit!~ "In my heaven..."

TORn's Observations Lists

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Aug 1 2008, 12:33am

Post #3 of 26 (6376 views)
Shortcut
I love that cloak! [In reply to] Can't Post

Not so sure about the neckline of the dress - it looks like she's about to fall out of it, and it makes her look very flat-chested - but that cloak is, quite simply, gorgeous. And the shape of the hood frames her face so beautifully.

Mind you, they could put Liv in a hessian sack and she'd still glow.

If I could turn my hand to sewing, this is the outfit I'd try to make.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauronís master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded b*****d with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Elven
Valinor

Aug 1 2008, 12:56am

Post #4 of 26 (6450 views)
Shortcut
Gasp!! [In reply to] Can't Post

I still remember how I felt when I first saw Arwen/Liv in this! I was stunned. Such a vision of Elven beauty - the fabric colour was unbelievable - everything looked so perfect ... so soft and flowing ... *sigh* ... it took my breat away.
It was a while before I ever noticed the pattern on the cloak and on the dress.
After viewing it many times, I have to agree with Ataahua, it does look a little lose around the shoulders and that she is about to fall out of it - though she never does. Maybe its the way the camera views down on her in that scene.
I notice that the cut on this dress is very flattering for Liv - she looks lovely, so wonderful and elegant.

Thankyou Arwen's Daughter!
One of my very favourite costumes of all time!

Cheers
Elven x

Were off to Hobbiton finally!

Tolkien was a Capricorn!!
Russell Crowe for Beorn!!

pippinmaniac
Bree

Aug 1 2008, 5:57am

Post #5 of 26 (6316 views)
Shortcut
Lovely gown! [In reply to] Can't Post

This is one of my favorites for Arwen. The color of the gown is superb and the cloak is so striking. Liv looks beautiful in purple. (This gown looks purple to me on the dvd and blue in the photographs.)

(This post was edited by pippinmaniac on Aug 1 2008, 6:01am)

debo
Rohan

Aug 1 2008, 7:24am

Post #6 of 26 (6333 views)
Shortcut
Absolutely beautiful [In reply to] Can't Post

Arwen looks a dream in this and it is so right for her character at this time- soft and melancholic.

Once again I am astounded at the craftsmanship and care that went into these costumes.

Frodo; "What I chiefly need now is courage . . ."

weaver
Half-elven

Aug 1 2008, 11:33pm

Post #7 of 26 (6282 views)
Shortcut
why dragonflies? [In reply to] Can't Post

Did you come across anything that explains that particular choice of design motif for this outfit? If there's some Tolkien symbolism there, I don't recall it!

This is a perfectly Elvish outfit, isn't it?

Weaver

Arwen's daughter
Half-elven

Aug 2 2008, 12:27am

Post #8 of 26 (6307 views)
Shortcut
Art Nouveau [In reply to] Can't Post

The dragonflies, I think, have nothing to do with Tolkien's elves. But Ngila drew from a lot of art nouveau elements for the elves because it involves a lot of organic shapes. I think this is one of the pieces that shows it best. Art nouveau has a great affinity for dragonflies and I think that's where Ngila drew them from. But I can't prove any of that Tongue

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Art_Nouveau

My LiveJournal
My Costuming Site

Elven
Valinor

Aug 2 2008, 12:34am

Post #9 of 26 (6282 views)
Shortcut
Dragonflies ... [In reply to] Can't Post

I read your post weaver and then thought I was sure there was some information about them on another board I frequent - so I go there ... whats the first New Topic up on their boards - Dragonflys! LOL!!
So I have copied a thread by someone else who got this off google sometime ago - but the symbolism fits nicely too - regardiing Arwen, her vision, her transformation and transition.
I did hear something Ngila said - not sure if its on the commentary - about the design and the dragonflies ... another thing to put on my list to look for Smile

"Dragonfly symbolism crosses and combines with that of the butterfly and change. The dragonfly symbolizes going past self-created illusions that limit our growing and changing. Dragonflies are a symbol of the sense of self that comes with maturity.

They are fantastic flyers, darting like light, twisting, turning, changing direction, even going backwards as the need arises. They are inhabitants of two realms - starting with water, and moving to the air with maturity, but staying close to water. Some people who have the dragonfly as their totem have had emotional and passionate early years, but as they get older they achieve balance with mental clarity and control. They gain an expression of the emotional and mental together.

Dragonflies are old and adaptive insects, and are most powerful in the summer under the effects of warmth and sunlight. Their colors are a result of reflecting and refracting the power of light. As a result, they are associated with color magic, illusion in causing others only to see what you wish, and other mysticism.

The are often represented in Japanese paintings, representing new light and joy. To some Native Americans they are the souls of the dead. Faerie stories say that they used to be real dragons.

Dragonflies are reminders that we are light and can reflect the light in powerful ways if we choose to do so. "Let there be light" is the divine prompting to use the creative imagination as a force within your life. They help you to see through your illusions and allow your own light to shine in a new vision."

Cheers
Elven x

Elven
Valinor

Aug 2 2008, 12:48am

Post #10 of 26 (6270 views)
Shortcut
I wonder if .. [In reply to] Can't Post

there is also an element of taking the Oriental Influence which is just touched upon in Rivendell costume design - with the Dragonflys?
I posted below this, but one element which seemed to fit was this ...

The are often represented in Japanese paintings, representing new light and joy.

... also know that butterflies are prevelant too ... both representing change in different manifestations ...

I know we have discussed in a previous thread about Elronds costumes, and even Arwens costume as the company depart from Rivendell - the kimono and the sash ... then there's also Elronds hair design - not the one we see - but the one they didn't go with - it was very oriental, but a bit too much, so the wig style was changed - I think this was for the Coronation as memory serves ...

Maybe a combination of the Art Deco and Oriental?

Cheers
Elven

weaver
Half-elven

Aug 2 2008, 1:32am

Post #11 of 26 (6295 views)
Shortcut
I love this symbolism for Arwen in this scene especially... [In reply to] Can't Post

This part especially really fits this moment for her:

The dragonfly symbolizes going past self-created illusions that limit our growing and changing. Dragonflies are a symbol of the sense of self that comes with maturity.

She may be an immortal elf, but it's not until this moment where she takes her destiny into her own hands -- her sense of self really comes into play.

Those elves are so cool -- always wearing the right clothes for the right occasion, right down to the embroidery symbolically matching the moment...Wink

Thanks for digging this up and posting it -- very nice info!

Weaver

weaver
Half-elven

Aug 2 2008, 1:46am

Post #12 of 26 (6267 views)
Shortcut
Galadriel always seems very Art Noveau to me.... [In reply to] Can't Post

That shot of her with the water pitcher, by her well, looks like something Maxfield Parrish would do.

Crosses fingers that I get the picture posting stuff correct again...

Here's a link to a Maxfield Parrish image that's sort of close to this....

http://www.artpassions.net/...rrish/cinderella.jpg

I'm out of time or I'd post another photo directly now that I am a pro!

Weaver

Elven
Valinor

Aug 2 2008, 7:19am

Post #13 of 26 (6351 views)
Shortcut
Yep! [In reply to] Can't Post

I agree too weaver Smile ... it does reflect those elements of her at that time.
And the butterfly clasp is as symbolic - often they are found together - the butterfly being the symbol for change, especially around new phases of growth and maturity - transformation and beauty - the dragonfly the messanger or the herald of the transitions purpose - the refraction of light - the light through a prism type effect.

I see a great deal of this type of symbolism through-out the trilogy, weather it be done purposefully or not, consciously or not - another layer which adds to the rich world of Tolkiens ME, and the characters.
It was a nice catch from Ngila on this one Smile

Cheers
Elven x

Arwen's daughter
Half-elven

Aug 3 2008, 4:27pm

Post #14 of 26 (6249 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for finding this! [In reply to] Can't Post

I love this symbolism for Arwen. Whether it was intentional or not, I'm inclined to believe this is why Arwen chose this particular cloak that day! Cool

My LiveJournal
My Costuming Site

Estelwyn
The Shire

Aug 5 2008, 1:17am

Post #15 of 26 (6272 views)
Shortcut
I could be wrong, but I think... [In reply to] Can't Post

that there's at least one other gown (in addition to the Coronation gown you mention) with basically the same two-piece, jumper-over-underdress, wide half-circle sleeves design. It's the blood-red/midnight-blue gown Arwen wears when Aragorn dreams she is dying. She's also wearing it in the library conversation with Elrond ("...there is no ship now that can bear me hence.") You can see it at the following links:

http://www.framecaplib.com/lotrlib/html/episodes/images/rotk/rotk0375.htm
http://www.framecaplib.com/lotrlib/html/episodes/images/rotk/rotk0964.htm

I guess Ngila/Peter at al must have found a style they felt suited Liv and
communicated what they wanted in terms of Elvish grace and beauty and that ethereal other-worldy quality... and then just stuck with it. Works for me! I love all there of these gowns and wa thrilled to see two of them in two different exhibitions :D

Arwen's daughter
Half-elven

Aug 5 2008, 4:22am

Post #16 of 26 (6243 views)
Shortcut
Yep, it's a trio of gowns [In reply to] Can't Post

These three, the coronation gown, the blue requiem gown, and her blood red gown, are all basically cut from the same pattern but with subtle differences. It's a great shape on Liv!

And welcome back Estelwyn! Haven't seen you around these parts in a while Smile

My LiveJournal
My Costuming Site

hobbitlove
Gondor

Aug 5 2008, 7:44pm

Post #17 of 26 (6285 views)
Shortcut
Had to comment, though this is late. [In reply to] Can't Post

As many have said, this is an absolute favorite costume, and for me, also an absolute favorite scene. It is all utterly mesmerizing, from beginning to end. I tried to describe my feelings in this post below in Jazmine's serendipitously coincidental SCOD. This was a breath-taking, nearly 'stop the movie' scene for me, and this costume is very much a part of the whole emotional feel of it. What is it about all the colors in this scene and in this costume? The greyish blues and muted tones, the elegance and yet somehow simplicity of it, and OMG, the grey palfry, the woods, the other elves, the flowing cape, and the tender, knowing eyes of both mother and child. We never see Aragorn's face in the scene. This is Arwen in all her glory!
And glorious she is - sensual, glowingly alive, emotional, sensitive, and above all, aware!
This outfit is Arwen.
Thanks so much for this beautiful discussion.
hob

Check out
QTNA
Movie Discussions

hob
(former nick: "HobbitLoveR*M-e" among several others)

hobbitlove
Gondor

Aug 5 2008, 8:55pm

Post #18 of 26 (6304 views)
Shortcut
Wanted to post these because you are a costumer extraordinaire... [In reply to] Can't Post

Hope you don't mind, but I had to post these pictures of our daughter in her Arwen costumes.

Having taken a rather strong fancy to Arwen, and especially to Arwen's costumes, Lovehorses, has found her best connection to the story of LOTR in costuming. We say more power to her. She is very shy and dyslexic, and can't love the written word as I do, but she loves movies. The LOTR movies offer much to people who may not ever have been able to get to Tolkien through the written word alone.
She likes the movies nearly as well as I do. There's the elves, you see. Well, one male one in particular, Winkbut all of them, really; not to mention the horses, the landscapes, and the scenery. But, for her, especially, the costumes. I think we all have learned to admire the use of them to create character, as well as the feel of them, the colors and styles, and, if you will, the real art of costumes. Our daughter's courage has given us the courage to do costumes as well, and it has been wonderful!
So, she wears them and hides in plain sight. She found her way to belong, even to shine a bit, and also to show her appreciation of Middle-earth and the movies made about it. It makes us so happy to see it.

Anyway, sorry for that personal aside. I meant to say that our daughter was unbelievably fortunate enough to find a seamstress who was selling her brilliant costumes online for a pittance, IMO, of what they are worth. This very nice woman has a rare gift for creating these costumes, yet she is so humble. She can hardly understand how profoundly we admire her abilities. She makes these costumes without patterns or without ever having seen them in RL, just from the pictures. They feel as wonderful to wear as they look.

At Comic Con parade
At the LOTR concert

At Trilogy showing this year.
This the only close-up I have of the beautiful embroidery on the sleeves and the trim; sorry. It doesn't do it justice.

At Woot Moot
This is the look of the hood, which is quite elegant and unique, to say the least.
(That's our own Sil, White Lady, and Deej in the background)

Mn Tolkien Society Halloween party.
And this is our Arwen with a certain Corsair.
Rather dubious fellow, uhn? AKA: Ordinary Hobbit; I won't let him shave his beard, so he's forced to play pirates. Sly

Thanks for your costume posts, and I hope this was not too cheeky. Costuming is so much fun, just had to share.
{hugs}
hob

Check out
QTNA
Movie Discussions

hob

Elven
Valinor

Aug 5 2008, 10:34pm

Post #19 of 26 (6205 views)
Shortcut
Oh WOW!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Your daughter looks absolutely beautiful!
The costumes are so wonderfully well made! The woman has done an exceptional job on them - they're perfect!
I love the cloak and gown!
It must feel wonderful to wear such costumes!
The more I see, the more I feel like getting my sewing machine out ... thought the embroidery in the sleeves and the trim ... its such a labour of love!

Thankyou for sharing these with us.
... and that pirate ... mean looking dude, heh! Wink

Cheers and thanks hobbitlove
Elven x

weaver
Half-elven

Aug 5 2008, 11:18pm

Post #20 of 26 (6234 views)
Shortcut
wow, those are wonderful... [In reply to] Can't Post

..and your daughter looks very wonderful wearing them, very natural, not like she's in a costume, but more like the clothes and she are in tune with each other. Very cool!

So glad you shared these, thanks!

Weaver

Loresilme
Valinor

Aug 6 2008, 1:34am

Post #21 of 26 (6257 views)
Shortcut
Wow! What Weaver said - [In reply to] Can't Post

I agree, your daughter looks so natural in these gowns. They, and she, don't have that 'halloween-y' look. She just looks like, "Oh yes, hi, I frequently hang around in beautiful ball gowns looking carelessly elegant, doesn't everyone?"Sly You mentioned you bought them online, but somehow they look like they were made just for her.

Thanks for sharing these great photos!

hobbitlove
Gondor

Aug 7 2008, 9:30pm

Post #22 of 26 (6228 views)
Shortcut
Quick question and I know you don't have a lot of time... [In reply to] Can't Post

Sometime, may we discuss why this is called the Requiem dress?
We always call it the Traveling Dress. Also, we never ever noticed the print of the cape. So subtle, so very beautiful.
Again, a million thanks for these posts, and for letting us horn-in a bit.
hob

Check out
QTNA
Movie Discussions

hob

Arwen's daughter
Half-elven

Aug 7 2008, 9:58pm

Post #23 of 26 (6223 views)
Shortcut
Requiem dress [In reply to] Can't Post

I call this one the Requiem dress because that's how it was labeled in the traveling exhibit. Sometimes that indicates what it was called in production and sometimes it just means the label writers were bored Wink I don't know about this dress, though.

My LiveJournal
My Costuming Site

hobbitlove
Gondor

Aug 12 2008, 12:32am

Post #24 of 26 (6200 views)
Shortcut
This is so wonderful! Beautiful and so timely for this discussion. A million thanks. // [In reply to] Can't Post

Check out
QTNA
Movie Discussions

hob

hobbitlove
Gondor

Aug 12 2008, 12:38am

Post #25 of 26 (6174 views)
Shortcut
Thanks, for this. Maybe we'll find out more another time why they called it that. // [In reply to] Can't Post

Check out
QTNA
Movie Discussions

hob

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.