Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: The Pollantir:
For Fun What is Your Favorite Summer Drink
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All
Poll: For Fun What is Your Favorite Summer Drink
Ice Tea
Lemonade (any type)
Pepsi/Diet Pepsi
Coke/Diet Coke
Sprite
7-Up
Other Soda
Sports Drink
Flavored Water/Water
Other
View Results (55 votes)

AlassŽa Eruvande
Valinor

Jul 31 2008, 5:07pm

Post #26 of 47 (329 views)
Shortcut
Yes. Yes you should. [In reply to] Can't Post

Here's how I make it.

Heat some water. Some people boil the water, but I just let it "approach" boiling. Add 3 single-sized tea bags. (Or 6 singles for one gallon of finished tea.) Let steep about 5 minutes. I usually forget I've got tea going and it ends up steeping for an hour! But it doesn't seem to matter much. Pour the tea water into a 2 quart pitcher and fill with cold water. Sweeten as you like. Add ice.

My poor aunt in Vermont wanted to learn how to make iced tea, as hers never came out right. When I showed her she had a *head slap* moment. She had been boiling the entire gallon of water! It never occured to her to only boil a small amount and add it to a pitcher of cold water. D'oh! Laugh

Things I've learned about the fine art of iced tea making:
1. Make it in small batches. 2 quarts or 1 gallon, depending on how many drinkers there are. The most I make is 1 gallon at a time.

2. Don't refrigerate it. Something happens to it in the fridge. I don't know what, but it tastes "off". That's why you only make small batches.

3. Only sweeten with sugar. Or if you must use a substitute, use Splenda. Although I'll admit this is probably because I can't stand the fake sugar that's out there. See number 4.

4. Honey is a good sweetener too. You've just got to stir it like crazy to get it to dissolve. Best to add the honey before the ice.

5. Experiment with different flavors of tea. I like mango.

6. The water quality is very important. When I lived on our ranch, we had well water that contained a lot of iron. It made the worst tea ever and made it look like very dilute motor oil. It looked and tasted awful. Hard water also makes terrible iced tea. Water with too much chlorine in it makes terrible iced tea, a problem we had in our previous town. Use bottled or filtered water if you need to.

7. Use a pot that is dedicated to iced tea making to heat the water. I'm not sure if this is really just the cook's preference or if the tea absorbs other flavors from the pot. But everyone I know who makes excellent iced tea uses a pot that they don't use for anything else.

8. You can always tell how someone was raised by the quality of their iced tea. If they use instant, their education was obviously lacking. LaughTongue

(This post was edited by AlassŽa Eruvande on Jul 31 2008, 5:12pm)

Eowyn of Penns Woods
Valinor

Jul 31 2008, 6:30pm

Post #27 of 47 (301 views)
Shortcut
Now, see... [In reply to] Can't Post

I find that anyone who actually enjoys the flavor of tea---iced or not---is somewhat lacking in the area of 'good taste'. =)

I've tasted the stuff by accident, and regretted it enough each time to hesitate trying green tea even for my health...and I didn't hesitate long enough, unfortunately. Tea of any kind other than the "herbal" variety is beyond gross and disgusting, and completely unfit for human consumption, IMHO.

Elberbeth
Tol Eressea

Jul 31 2008, 6:45pm

Post #28 of 47 (297 views)
Shortcut
If you live in a hot climate [In reply to] Can't Post

you can make "sun tea" by leaving the water and tea bags outside in full sun for a few hours. Then add your sweetener, if you like, and the extra water.

Elberbeth
Tol Eressea

Jul 31 2008, 6:47pm

Post #29 of 47 (298 views)
Shortcut
It's usually water for me [In reply to] Can't Post

as almost everything else is too sweet. The only pop/soda I like is Squirt, which is more juice-like and not so sweet. But you can't get it in Canada, so I have to get it in the States. I sometimes like the fake beer as well.

AlassŽa Eruvande
Valinor

Jul 31 2008, 8:04pm

Post #30 of 47 (315 views)
Shortcut
Heh, I couldn't drink green tea [In reply to] Can't Post

because it looks like, well, pee. Tongue

Artanis
Rohan

Jul 31 2008, 9:12pm

Post #31 of 47 (691 views)
Shortcut
Alessea and dernwyn [In reply to] Can't Post

Oh, Im so glad you two posted some recipes Smile.

FantasyFan
Rohan

Aug 1 2008, 11:48am

Post #32 of 47 (302 views)
Shortcut
I like Sun Tea [In reply to] Can't Post

For sun tea, you need a large glass jar. Fill it with cold water, add the tea bags, and cap. Put it out in the sun until the tea is the strength you like. It might take an hour or two. Then remove the bags, and pour the tea over ice (or refrigerate the entire jar). Sun tea does not have the bitterness that regular iced tea sometimes has, probably because the water never gets hot and never extracts the bitter oils from the tea leaves. And since I drink my iced tea unsweetened, I appreciate the smoother flavor.

You can also make this type of iced tea directly in the refrigerator. Add the teabags to the water and refrigerate over night - that's ususally enough time that it's ready in the morning. One of the labs I used to work in, it was the job of the last person in on any day to make the tea for the next day's consumption.

For either of these things, I would use a glass jar or a plastic container that is not used for anything else. Iced tea does tend to pick up other flavors. And I would discard any leftovers after a couple of days and make a fresh batch.

willowgreylock
Lorien

Aug 2 2008, 8:20pm

Post #33 of 47 (297 views)
Shortcut
iced coffee [In reply to] Can't Post

YUM! a nice ice coffee sounds good right now!
have you tried the McD's ice coffee? pretty good if
you like it stout.

if you have Sonic in your area, i love a cherry limeade.

also, a really good cream soda. (not that red stuff though)

but if you're really really thirsty, i'm w/ all of you who voted for
good ol' ice water

SmeagoloftheStoors
Lorien

Aug 3 2008, 1:35am

Post #34 of 47 (278 views)
Shortcut
I was watching [In reply to] Can't Post

the Twilight Zone one night and saw an episode where the character (played by William Shatner) ordered iced coffee. I thought it sounded good and tried it. It rocks! Just take some black coffee and pour it over ice.

bearwen
Lorien

Aug 6 2008, 7:45pm

Post #35 of 47 (238 views)
Shortcut
Water! [In reply to] Can't Post

I do love a refreshing glass of water! Smile

Annael
Immortal

Aug 7 2008, 3:38pm

Post #36 of 47 (263 views)
Shortcut
I avoid high-fructose corn syrup at all costs [In reply to] Can't Post

I buy the organic lemonade that doesn't have it, or make it myself. Lemonade is my favorite drink evah.

Magpie
Immortal

Aug 7 2008, 5:39pm

Post #37 of 47 (265 views)
Shortcut
homemade lemonade [In reply to] Can't Post

I can remember my mother making homemade lemonade. She sliced the lemons into round slices and put them in the bottom of a pitcher. Then she poured sugar on top (surely beet sugar since we lived in Michigan) and used the bottom of a glass to mash the sugar into the lemon. The aroma was sharp and wonderful and I loved it. The she poured water into the picture. I'm not sure what proportions she used of anything and I'd have to buy organic lemons to keep the pesticides on the rind from being an issue. So I've never tried to duplicate her recipe.

I too feel that high fructose corn syrup has ruined the taste of everything it touches. I used to love frozen cranberry juice and now it just tastes like a generic red colored kids sugar drink to me. Terrible. Any idea on how to make cranberry juice from whole cranberries?

I will tell you what I fell in love with over the winter holiday season. I love cranberry relish. We got the recipe from my hub's grandma but it turns out to be the same one as on the package of cranberries. He makes a big batch for me in December even though it's a huge mess. Then I fill up a smallish glass with the stuff and pour brandy over it. I drink the brandy till it's gone and then eat the relish with a spoon. Ahh.....

One Ringer
Tol Eressea

Aug 13 2008, 11:55am

Post #38 of 47 (242 views)
Shortcut
Coke, without a doubt . . . [In reply to] Can't Post

It's so refreshing, and drinking from a bottle tastes great! Smile

Kimi
Forum Admin / Moderator

Aug 13 2008, 11:24pm

Post #39 of 47 (239 views)
Shortcut
Homemade Elderflower Fizz [In reply to] Can't Post

It's a bit like homemade lemonade, but with a certain extra something from the elderflowers.

But what I mostly drink in summer is water.

ElanorTX
Grey Havens

Aug 14 2008, 12:34am

Post #40 of 47 (214 views)
Shortcut
horchata [In reply to] Can't Post

I've mentioned this one on Fiesta Friday. It's a Mexican "agua fresca' based on rice flour and cinnamon. Very thirst-quenching.

Though my doctor took me off citrus and other acids, I agree that real lemonade is a treat.

ElanorTX

Smeagirl/Girllum
Gondor

Aug 14 2008, 11:46pm

Post #41 of 47 (252 views)
Shortcut
*falls out of chair* There are people who've never tried iced tea? [In reply to] Can't Post

I had no idea. Wow.

One important thing to know is that the amount of sweetening considered "standard" varies greatly by region. Here in the NYC area it's usually served unsweetened and you can add sugar to taste. At the opposite end of the spectrum, in the south they serve it in the form called "sweet tea." The first time I tried it, I honestly thought they'd made a mistake in the kitchen, like maybe a giant package of sugar fell into the container of tea and they didn't realize. I tried to to tell them and return it, but they kept saying "that's how we make it." They gave me my money back anyway and I figured they'd get more complaints from other customers, and then realize they'd made a mistake with the tea. Years later, I was surprised to learn they actually make it like that intentionally. Blech.

Once I met someone who'd lived in NYC all her life, and had never tried an eggroll.

I love trying new foods, personally. Definitely try iced tea, and even sweet tea if you're brave enough.

Smeagirl/Girllum
Gondor

Aug 14 2008, 11:49pm

Post #42 of 47 (224 views)
Shortcut
I do that too. [In reply to] Can't Post

My favorite way is to make herb sun tea with fresh herbs from the garden, like mint, lemon balm and anise hyssop. Put the jar out on a hot afternoon, bring it in when I remember in the evening, and it's delicious.

Annael
Immortal

Aug 15 2008, 2:54pm

Post #43 of 47 (279 views)
Shortcut
does your recipe include orange rind? [In reply to] Can't Post

Homemade cranberry relish with orange rind is the best!

Check out your local food coop, if you have one, for organic cranberry juice sweetened in healthier ways, like pear juice or agave syrup. Knudsen's is a good brand.

Magpie
Immortal

Aug 15 2008, 10:02pm

Post #44 of 47 (268 views)
Shortcut
I'm not sure if it has orange rind... [In reply to] Can't Post

...since my husband makes it. I'm not sure I'd like cranberry juice sweetened with other juices or syrups. It throws the taste and the texture off for me.

Kimi
Forum Admin / Moderator

Aug 16 2008, 3:02am

Post #45 of 47 (267 views)
Shortcut
I so wish [In reply to] Can't Post

my teleport machine was working, so I could send you some :-) I'm looking out on a lemon tree with its limbs bowed under the weight of its fruit. All organically grown, too.

I've found making preserved lemons is a good way of using up vast amounts of them, but I still have far more fruit than we can consume.

teddiwen
The Shire

Aug 20 2008, 4:15am

Post #46 of 47 (226 views)
Shortcut
Um.. no one [In reply to] Can't Post

opted for a Mint Julep????

Antiel
The Shire

Nov 25 2008, 12:29am

Post #47 of 47 (208 views)
Shortcut
Ice-cream Soda [In reply to] Can't Post

Anyone who likes that coloured water that they call "tea" must be mad, in my opinion.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.