Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: The Pollantir:
For Fun What is Your Favorite Summer Drink
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All
Poll: For Fun What is Your Favorite Summer Drink
Ice Tea
Lemonade (any type)
Pepsi/Diet Pepsi
Coke/Diet Coke
Sprite
7-Up
Other Soda
Sports Drink
Flavored Water/Water
Other
View Results (55 votes)

ArathornJax
Lorien

Jul 29 2008, 9:22pm

Post #1 of 47 (775 views)
Shortcut
For Fun What is Your Favorite Summer Drink Can't Post

that is non-alcoholic? I think for me, when it all boils down, though I like several that I listed, there is nothing like an ice cold glass of water when one is really thirsty on a hot summer day. What about you? What is your favorite drink to cool down on a hot summer day?

Patty
Immortal

Jul 29 2008, 9:24pm

Post #2 of 47 (540 views)
Shortcut
Does a chocolate milkshake count? [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm all about the chocolate.

But I do love pink lemonade, too. Pop is too sweet.

Donry
Tol Eressea

Jul 29 2008, 10:05pm

Post #3 of 47 (502 views)
Shortcut
Slurpee or Blizzard... [In reply to] Can't Post

gotta have a Slurpee and a Blizzard during the summer...

Woodyend
Gondor

Jul 29 2008, 10:17pm

Post #4 of 47 (517 views)
Shortcut
Water ,water, water....... [In reply to] Can't Post

plain ole water.

stormcrow20
Gondor

Jul 29 2008, 11:15pm

Post #5 of 47 (503 views)
Shortcut
Iced tea... [In reply to] Can't Post

...sweet of course. With real sugar.

Apple juice is really good when you're hot, too.

Magpie
Immortal

Jul 29 2008, 11:36pm

Post #6 of 47 (519 views)
Shortcut
iced coffee or icee coffee [In reply to] Can't Post

You know those icee drinks that Dairy Queen sells. They usually come in two flavors: blue and red. I hate those. But they used to see Raspberry tea and coffee. I've found that you can ask for the crushed ice flavored with a few squirts of the coffee flavoring they use in Blizzards. It is good. Will either give you brain freeze or throat freeze. When I was pregnant for child #2, I craved icee drinks and lived at the 7-11 where I could get root beer flavor.

I do like a really good coffee iced as well. A coffee shop down the road used to be owned by someone who ran a coffee plantation in Mexico. They had really, really good iced coffee. Starbucks iced coffee is nasty by comparison.

RosieLass
Valinor

Jul 29 2008, 11:49pm

Post #7 of 47 (520 views)
Shortcut
Depends on the circumstances. [In reply to] Can't Post

For a cool beverage, with a meal, I drink iced tea.

But if I'm out in the hot sun, say at a sporting event, a liquid isn't good enough. It has to be ice. So I'll get a flavored ice or a slushy or something like that.

(This post was edited by RosieLass on Jul 29 2008, 11:50pm)

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 30 2008, 12:41am

Post #8 of 47 (511 views)
Shortcut
Home-brewed iced tea. [In reply to] Can't Post

I buy the inexpensive "tagless" tea bags and brew it constantly in summertime! Adding in just a bit of sugar, as I tend to brew it strong - well, that is, I tend to forget that I've got it brewing until an hour later! Blush

bearagorn
Lorien

Jul 30 2008, 7:12am

Post #9 of 47 (496 views)
Shortcut
Plain old water. [In reply to] Can't Post

It`s my favourite drink any time of year.Cool

Alcarcalime
Tol Eressea

Jul 30 2008, 11:03am

Post #10 of 47 (482 views)
Shortcut
Iced tea for me! [In reply to] Can't Post

But, I do drink other things, also. I make lemonade and make a pitcher of water with a few drops of mint flavoring in it to keep in the refrigerator. Mint water is very thirst-quenching when you are hot.

Laerasėa
Tol Eressea

Jul 30 2008, 11:55am

Post #11 of 47 (467 views)
Shortcut
Well, [In reply to] Can't Post

I didn't go for "water"- since I go running often, I drink a bunch of it, but I wouldn't say it tastes good. My favorite summer drink is a tie between diet coke and milk- but then again, in Houston, we can get what seems like ten-month summers, so I'll just count them as my two favorite drinks in general. I just voted for diet coke since I don't have it as often.

Alassėa Eruvande
Valinor

Jul 30 2008, 2:23pm

Post #12 of 47 (480 views)
Shortcut
Iced tea [In reply to] Can't Post

but it has to be cooked. Not that nasty horrible instant garbage that the grocery store sells. Why some people choose instant (My inlaws!) is beyond me, when cooked tea is so easy and so much better.
I like it sweetened with real sugar and no lemon.
We use a mango ceylon blend that is intended for hot tea, but it makes really good iced tea.

Another good option is ginger ale mixed with cranapple juice. I always have to dilute the cranapple juice anyway as it's too strong for me, and ginger ale doesn't add too much "sweet" the way 7 up or Sprite would. It's really thirst quenching too!

GlowWorm
Bree

Jul 30 2008, 2:33pm

Post #13 of 47 (464 views)
Shortcut
I like [In reply to] Can't Post

Non sweetened iced tea and not the instant junk.Smile

Darkstone
Immortal

Jul 30 2008, 3:09pm

Post #14 of 47 (463 views)
Shortcut
Sonic Ocean Water [In reply to] Can't Post

Which is Sprite with coconut flavor extract and blue food coloring.

I used to drink half-and-half Coke and water to cool off, but I gave up caffeine a couple of years ago. (A couple of cups of coffee in the morning and by noon my heart was trying to vibrate up out of my throat.)

Zmulady
Rohan

Jul 30 2008, 3:57pm

Post #15 of 47 (514 views)
Shortcut
pink lemonade [In reply to] Can't Post

Jazmine
Tol Eressea

Jul 30 2008, 7:11pm

Post #16 of 47 (446 views)
Shortcut
Homemade Still Lemonade [In reply to] Can't Post

Mmmmm, nice and sharp, very refreshing on a hot day!

But for thirst alone, nothing beats an icy glass of water!

Artanis
Rohan

Jul 30 2008, 7:45pm

Post #17 of 47 (446 views)
Shortcut
I still [In reply to] Can't Post

like a nice cup of tea.

I noticed a couple of you mentioned iced tea, and I have never tried it Blush...any recipes for it?

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Jul 30 2008, 7:46pm

Post #18 of 47 (458 views)
Shortcut
Shandy - 1/3 beer, 2/3 lemonade [In reply to] Can't Post

(as in fizzy lemonade - Sprite etc) with ice. Nothing hits the spot faster or better on a hot day.

Jazmine
Tol Eressea

Jul 30 2008, 8:57pm

Post #19 of 47 (457 views)
Shortcut
I've never tried it either [In reply to] Can't Post

But after reading this thread I feel like I should check it out!

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 30 2008, 10:51pm

Post #20 of 47 (490 views)
Shortcut
What! Never had iced tea? [In reply to] Can't Post

My recipe: brew 4 tea bags in 2 cups of water for at least 20 minutes. Remove the bags, and pour the strong tea into a 2-quart (or 2-liter) container, along with enough cold water to fill. Add in a scoopful of sugar - probably between 1/2 and 1 cup, more or less to taste, of course! Refrigerate. Be sure to shake or stir before pouring, to distribute the sugar, and if it's cold enough I don't bother with ice cubes.

Try it with different kinds of tea!

The best-tasting iced tea I've ever had in a restaurant was at a small eatery in Edinburgh, where they brewed some up for us Americans on an unusually hot day. Delicious - even with the haggis!

silneldor
Half-elven

Jul 31 2008, 12:28am

Post #21 of 47 (437 views)
Shortcut
Liquid sunshine please. [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes water for me. I can down a large glass of just cool water or sip the 'icYness' off the 'icebergs' in a frosted glass.
But then there is water spiked with gatorade for those looong hot workouts out on the road.

silneldor
Half-elven

Jul 31 2008, 12:47am

Post #22 of 47 (446 views)
Shortcut
Those are good ideas Magpie, thanks. [In reply to] Can't Post

At times iced coffee hits the spot. It is hard to find good stuff though. It is way over-priced and has a ton of ice.

Now you gave me a valid reason to head for a dairy queenSmile. I could stand a good root beer freezeout once in a while too.

Magpie
Immortal

Jul 31 2008, 2:22am

Post #23 of 47 (425 views)
Shortcut
well... [In reply to] Can't Post

the root beer slurpee was from 7-11. We don't have them any more here in Minnesota. (I was buying them 22 summers ago... son #2 was born in early August)

The coffee slurpee/icee (what does DQ call them? Arctic Rush... I think they used to be called Mistys): You have to talk them into making it. It's not on their menu. It's the syrup used in the Blizzards and the crushed ice for the Arctic Rush. I told them to put a little less in than they would other syrups - since I didn't need it too sweet. Then they didn't know what to charge me. I told them it seemed that the price for an Arctic Rush would be fair but I'd be willing to pay a little more under the assumption that the syrup might cost more. In the end, the manager let the sales person do it. I'm not sure if they would do it w/o manager okay. I am persistent, however. I love these things. You can also get them with a little ice cream mixed in.

It looks like they have the equivalent of those coffee house cold high fat coffee drinks too. But the Arctic Rush, with no ice cream added, would be no fat.

I wish you could still get these slurpee like drinks in root beer or cola. Now they're all geared for kids and they're that highly colored, overly sweet, generic fruit stuff.

Another good iced coffee drink is Vietnamese iced coffee and, for one step further, espresso granita.

Kelvarhin
Half-elven

Jul 31 2008, 2:25am

Post #24 of 47 (480 views)
Shortcut
Just filtered water [In reply to] Can't Post

influenced by eldest son here, he won't drink anything else and tends to nag if we do LOL.

And as we live in wine growing country, on a hot evening a nice cold glass of Sem Sauv Blanc goes down a treat Wink

Idril Celebrindal
Tol Eressea

Jul 31 2008, 4:00pm

Post #25 of 47 (451 views)
Shortcut
Iced tea, iced coffee ... plus lemonade and spritzers [In reply to] Can't Post

Iced herbal tea is also a big summer favorite of mine. Actually, almost anything iced hits the spot when the weather's hot.

Another favorite is home-made lemonade ... with real lemons, real lemon juice, and real sugar! (I can really taste the high-fructose corn syrup in bottled or fountain lemonade.)

Juice spritzers are great, too, and super-easy to make. Pour a half-glass of juice (cranberry juice, pomegranate juice, blueberry juice, grape juice, etc.), then fill up the rest with sparkling water or seltzer and add ice.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.