Mythcon 39 -- Aug. 15-18 -- New Britain, CT
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Jul 13 2008, 6:04am

Post #1 of 70 (11662 views)
Shortcut
Mythcon 39 -- Aug. 15-18 -- New Britain, CT Can't Post

This coming Tuesday, July 15, is the last day for online registration for the 39th annual conference of the Mythopoeic Society, to be held in mid-August. After that, registration will only be possible at the door during the conference. For the first time, this year's Mythcon will be held in New England, at Central Connecticut State University in New Britain, CT. Mythsoc is an organization dedicated to "promoting the study, discussion, and enjoyment of fantastic and mythic literature", with a special emphasis on the work of J.R.R. Tolkien, C.S. Lewis, Charles Williams and the other Inklings. The group publishes the literary journal Mythlore (usually twice each year).

The theme of this year's conference is "The Valkyrie and the Goddess: The Warrior Woman in Fantasy", and there will be a track of papers as well as panel discussions on that subject. In addition, there will be a variety of papers on Tolkien, Lewis, Williams and other fantasy. Here is a sample of the announced papers: "The Forgotten Women of Middle-earth"; "Tradition in Rowling, Tolkien, and Lewis"; "Tolkien and Oxford University"; "Feminity and Arachnitas in Tolkien's 'Shelob'"; "Realistic War in Tolkien's Battles"; and "The Feminism of LeGuin's Earthsea Books". There are also a variety of other activities and entertainments, this year including one I particularly want to see: a planetarium show on the astronomy of Middle-earth, led by Kristine Larsen, who was written some fine papers on that subject.

There is also a banquet where this year's winners of the Mythopoeic Fantasy and Scholarship Awards will be announced. Among the nominees for adult fantasy are Ysabel by Guy Gavriel Kay, who got his start working with Christopher Tolkien on The Silmarillion. The children's fantasy nominees include J.K. Rowling, for the entire Harry Potter series. The Inklings-scholarship nominees include Diana Glyer's The Company They Keep and The History of 'The Hobbit' by John Rateliff. And one of the general fantasy scholarship nominees is The Shadow-Walkers, a study of monsters in Grimm, edited by Tom Shippey.

There will be two guests of honor: Marjorie Burns, author of Perilous Realms: Celtic and Norse in Tolkien's Middle-earth, and Sharan Newman, author of the novel Cursed in the Blood as well as non-fiction including The Real History Behind 'The Da Vinci Code'. Other notable Tolkien and Inklings scholars attending this year's conference include Verlyn Flieger, Janet Croft, Arden Smith, David Bratman, Mike Foster, Christopher Gilson, Joe Christopher, Diana Glyer, Wayne Hammond, and Christina Scull.

I know of at least three TORN contributors besides myself who will be attending: visualweasel, drogo, and Aelfwine. Anybody else?

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
We're discussing The Lord of the Rings in the Reading Room, Oct. 15, 2007 - Mar. 22, 2009!

Join us July 7-13 for "The Black Gate Is Closed".

+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=
How to find old Reading Room discussions.

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 13 2008, 3:15pm

Post #2 of 70 (11060 views)
Shortcut
I could be tempted [In reply to] Can't Post

if work will cooperate. And work might just cooperate this time.

Each cloak was fastened about the neck with a brooch like a green leaf veined with silver.
`Are these magic cloaks?' asked Pippin, looking at them with wonder.
`I do not know what you mean by that,' answered the leader of the Elves.

NARF since 1974.
Balin Bows

a.s.
Valinor

Jul 13 2008, 3:50pm

Post #3 of 70 (11057 views)
Shortcut
I *am* tempted, but [In reply to] Can't Post

I've been watching and mulling and thinking it all over, and am still undecided!

I'm not walking all that well yet. Do you know if all the daily events will be in one general location?

Also, I would not be staying in a dorm room, but in a hotel off site (if I go). So that would mean taking a cab or other transport back and forth daily (which is fine if I can get close enough when dropped off). Do you know the campus? Is this feasible for a person still using a cane? It's not walking per se that is difficult, even climbing stairs is OK, but long distances are still OUT. Totally out.

a.s.

"an seileachan"

Pooh began to feel a little more comfortable, because when you are a Bear of Very Little Brain, and you Think of Things, you find sometimes that a Thing which seemed very Thingish inside you is quite different when it gets out into the open and has other people looking at it.

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 13 2008, 4:02pm

Post #4 of 70 (10998 views)
Shortcut
Let's chat a.s. [In reply to] Can't Post

I might be renting a car, and staying offsite. I'll see what I can do and let you know.

Each cloak was fastened about the neck with a brooch like a green leaf veined with silver.

NARF since 1974.
Balin Bows

a.s.
Valinor

Jul 13 2008, 4:13pm

Post #5 of 70 (11080 views)
Shortcut
Excellent and kind as well! :-) [In reply to] Can't Post

The web site has a list of close by hotels, if you're looking. I'll book wherever you book, if I can catch a ride. And besides, it would be FUN!!

Fun is important!

Standing by for further contact offline...

a.s.

"an seileachan"

Pooh began to feel a little more comfortable, because when you are a Bear of Very Little Brain, and you Think of Things, you find sometimes that a Thing which seemed very Thingish inside you is quite different when it gets out into the open and has other people looking at it.

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Jul 14 2008, 2:54am

Post #6 of 70 (11015 views)
Shortcut
Usually the activities are confined to a few adjacent buildings. [In reply to] Can't Post

That was my experience last year in Berkeley, CA, and the year before in Norman, OK: all the panels and papers were in one building, meals were next door (and dining together is a big part of the Mythcon experience) except perhaps the banquet, and the evening usually started with a feature event in the panels/papers building, before everyone retired to the dorm building for lighter entertainment and conversation. But anyone with questions should check out the Mythcon web page. If you're not planning to stay on campus, then there's probably no need to register in advance. In my experience, meal tickets can be purchased on the first day of the conference -- except possibly the banquet. Again, e-mail someone at Mythsoc.

We're discussing The Lord of the Rings in the Reading Room, Oct. 15, 2007 - Mar. 22, 2009!

Join us July 7-13 for "The Black Gate Is Closed".

visualweasel
Rohan

Jul 14 2008, 3:07pm

Post #7 of 70 (10977 views)
Shortcut
Yes, I'll be there! And here's some more info ... [In reply to] Can't Post

Coincidentally, I just posted some additional information on my blog, here. Some of this comes from a preliminary copy of the schedule which I think N.E. Brigand may not have seen, so stop by and take a look at some of those details.

I've also got a little teaser up about Mythcon 40 in 2009. Wink

Regarding your question about whether the events will all be in more or less the same place, the answer is yes. As N.E.B. said, this is usually the case, and it'll be no different this year. Registration and all the conference programming will take place in Copernicus Hall, roughly smack dab in the center of campus. Dining will be in Memorial Hall, just a building or two away from Copernicus Hall (to the west). The two dorms (not that you'll be in one of those, evidently, but just in case) are Sheridan Hall and Barrows Hall (aptly named!). The former is just east of Copernicus Hall, while the latter is a few buildings south of Memorial Hall. It seems to be a pretty small, tightly knit campus. I wouldn't think you'll have any trouble. And besides, I'm sure a ride would be there for the asking from any number of Mythies at just about any time of day or night. Or if you and Entmaiden end up sharing, so much the better.

Hope to meet both of you next month!

Jason Fisher
Lingwë - Musings of a Fish

The Lord of the Rings discussion 2007-2008 – The Two Towers – III.4 “Treebeard” – Part 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 15 2008, 10:44am

Post #8 of 70 (10976 views)
Shortcut
Just registered. [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm not sure how many things I'll be able to attend; my Dad's birthday is that Saturday, and with him being recently widower'd, my family will be spending that day with him.

But I'd like to get to events Friday night and on Sunday! I'm a good hour's drive away. If anyone is hard up for a place to stay, give me a holler, we've got a "guest room", if you don't mind pics of fairies on the walls!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

"It struck me last night that you might write a fearfully good romantic drama, with as much of the 'supernatural' as you cared to introduce. Have you ever thought of it?"
-Geoffrey B. Smith, letter to JRR Tolkien, 1915

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Jul 15 2008, 5:16pm

Post #9 of 70 (10974 views)
Shortcut
Fantastic! [In reply to] Can't Post

Can't wait to meet you, dernwyn!

Join us July 14-20 for "Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit".

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 15 2008, 8:58pm

Post #10 of 70 (10969 views)
Shortcut
Likewise! [In reply to] Can't Post

Smile

This will make a fine mini-moot; of those we know who are/may be going, entmaiden is the only one I've met yet!

And with some of "our own" even presenting papers, I shall do my best to not be agape at such erudite greatness...Blush

"It struck me last night that you might write a fearfully good romantic drama, with as much of the 'supernatural' as you cared to introduce. Have you ever thought of it?"

a.s.
Valinor

Jul 15 2008, 9:50pm

Post #11 of 70 (10994 views)
Shortcut
OK, this decides me, I'm going! [In reply to] Can't Post

And with some of "our own" even presenting papers, I shall do my best to not be agape at such erudite greatness...

We will just sit in the back of the room and heckle them. LOL.

Can't wait to meet you. I am registering for the con and will work out the rest later (travel, hotel, etc).

a.s.

"an seileachan"

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 16 2008, 2:10am

Post #12 of 70 (10983 views)
Shortcut
Wonderful! [In reply to] Can't Post

Yeah, we can look like we know what's going on...Laugh!

This is going to be fun!

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 16 2008, 2:53am

Post #13 of 70 (10941 views)
Shortcut
Sadly, I can't make it [In reply to] Can't Post

I realized soon after I posted that I have a conflict with a family picnic. I'll be thinking of all of you though!

NARF since 1974.
Balin Bows

WonderBroad
Lorien

Jul 16 2008, 2:59am

Post #14 of 70 (10989 views)
Shortcut
Ah, Mythcon! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'll be there, as usual. I love it!

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 16 2008, 3:17am

Post #15 of 70 (10978 views)
Shortcut
And we'll be [In reply to] Can't Post

"wishing you were here" - we'll miss you! Unsure

a.s.
Valinor

Jul 16 2008, 11:10am

Post #16 of 70 (10933 views)
Shortcut
great! and a question about costumes [In reply to] Can't Post

I can't wait to meet both you and dernwyn! This is the first time I've attended Mythcon.

I notice something about costumes on the "progress" note at the Mythcon 39 site. That word sends shivers up and down my spine, and not enjoyable ones!! Crazy Are costumes optional? One assumes that of course they are optional by regulation, but the real question is "does everyone wear a costume?" One does not want to be a snot.

LOL

I've got a month to think of something or back out fearfully.

a.s.

"an seileachan"

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 16 2008, 12:48pm

Post #17 of 70 (10933 views)
Shortcut
Well... [In reply to] Can't Post

If slacks, a nice shirt or T-shirt, and comfy shoes constitute a "costume", then I'll be wearing one! Wink

visualweasel
Rohan

Jul 16 2008, 2:39pm

Post #18 of 70 (10939 views)
Shortcut
If you want to heckle me, get there early! [In reply to] Can't Post

According to the preliminary schedule, I have the very first time-slot of the conference — Friday at 2PM. Tongue

Jason Fisher

The Lord of the Rings discussion 2007-2008 – The Two Towers – III.4 “Treebeard” – Part 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

visualweasel
Rohan

Jul 16 2008, 2:42pm

Post #19 of 70 (10913 views)
Shortcut
No need to worry: costumes really are optional [In reply to] Can't Post

From my experience (limited, admittedly; I haven't been to one of the really big Mythcons on the west cost), only a very intrepid few will be in costume. I myself am certainly not so intrepid, and will not be in costume.

Well, unless you count my typical air of arcane linguistic pretension as a costume. Wink

Jason Fisher

a.s.
Valinor

Jul 16 2008, 6:51pm

Post #20 of 70 (10916 views)
Shortcut
oh, wouldn't miss your talk for the world [In reply to] Can't Post

I'll be there early enough to heckle, you may rest assured!

LOL

Just kidding. I hope you know that.

a.s.

"an seileachan"

a.s.
Valinor

Jul 16 2008, 6:51pm

Post #21 of 70 (10894 views)
Shortcut
yeah, that's my speed!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

We'll be twins.

Cool

a.s.

"an seileachan"

a.s.
Valinor

Jul 16 2008, 6:53pm

Post #22 of 70 (10922 views)
Shortcut
**pats brow with handkerchief [In reply to] Can't Post

Good. Optional is good. I am opting out.

LOL

Well of course, I will be in my usual middle-aged Tolkien-fan-girl costume. I'm sure you'll recognize me.

Cool

a.s.

"an seileachan"

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Jul 19 2008, 12:31am

Post #23 of 70 (11335 views)
Shortcut
Room and board can still be arranged online. [In reply to] Can't Post

See this post to the Mythsoc list.

Join us July 14-20 for "Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit".

drogo
Lorien

Jul 23 2008, 12:09am

Post #24 of 70 (10861 views)
Shortcut
I'll be there [In reply to] Can't Post

I've been gone for over a week while serving as a counselor for a library camp for middle-school students--yes, there is such a thing! Anyway, it's great to hear other TORNadoes will be in attendance, and I will be there as well. I'll have to miss visualweasel's paper since my flight doesn't get in till late Friday afternoon, alas, but I'll be around till Monday. Thanks for the plug, N.E.--I will be the one giving out (some of) the awards for fantasy and scholarship. Mythopoeic Awards Administrator is one of the hats I wear for Mythsoc.

I will be staying at the La Quinta off-site, and will have a vehicle, so I could help with transportation if necessary. Hope to see more of you there, and PM me if you have questions or need help with last-minute registration. Like N.E. says below, you can still register, but the links have been changed..

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 23 2008, 1:45am

Post #25 of 70 (10883 views)
Shortcut
drogo! Good to see you. [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm even more sad I can't go now that you will also be there.

NARF since 1974.
Balin Bows

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.