The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Gaming and Collecting:
I'd like to own the Ellesar

Adanedhel
Bree

Jul 22 2008, 12:26am

Post #1 of 8 (2801 views)
Shortcut
I'd like to own the Ellesar Can't Post

Has anyone ever seen a good one? Even heard of one? I want the real thing: eagle brooch with outspread wings and a clear green stone in the center. Am I going to have to commission this myself?

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Jul 22 2008, 5:08am

Post #2 of 8 (2636 views)
Shortcut
Which elessar? [In reply to] Can't Post

The one made by Enerdhil, or the one made by Celebrimbor?

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
We're discussing The Lord of the Rings in the Reading Room, Oct. 15, 2007 - Mar. 22, 2009!

Join us July 21-27 for "The Window on the West".
On Aug. 4, sign up for the RotK discussion.

+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=
How to find old Reading Room discussions.

Elven
Valinor

Jul 25 2008, 5:00pm

Post #3 of 8 (2446 views)
Shortcut
Can you point me to the description [In reply to] Can't Post

of this piece in the books?

Do you know if there is a drawing of this piece anywhere from any of the artists?

Cheers
Elven x

Were off to Hobbiton finally!

Tolkien was a Capricorn!!
Russell Crowe for Beorn!!

Elven
Valinor

Jul 26 2008, 9:32am

Post #4 of 8 (2418 views)
Shortcut
No worries ... found it ... [In reply to] Can't Post

From good ol' wiki
http://en.wikipedia.org/...Middle-earth_objects

Elfstone
A famous green jewel that Galadriel gives as a gift to Aragorn just before the Fellowship of the Ring leaves the wood of Lothlórien: This stone I gave to Celebrían my daughter, and she to hers; and now it comes to you as a token of hope. In this hour take the name that was foretold for you, Elessar, the Elfstone of the house of Elendil![5]
This stone, worn by Aragorn, later causes him to also be given the name of Elessar by the people of Minas Tirith. It appears in The Lord of the Rings.
Tolkien also calls it the Elessar or the Stone of Eärendil and describes it as being set in an eagle-shaped silver brooch.
There are a variety of stories about the jewel's origin in Unfinished Tales: There was in Gondolin a jewel-smith named Enerdhil, and he was the greatest of that craft among the Noldor after the death of Fëanor...it came into his heart to make a jewel within which the clear light of the sun should be imprisoned, but the jewel should be green as leaves. And he made this thing, and even the Noldor marvelled at it. For it is said that those who looked through this stone saw things that were withered or burned healed again or as they were in the grace of their youth, and that the hands of one who held it brought to all that they touched healing from hurt.[6]
The gem was then given to Idril the fairest in Gondolin and she in turn gave it to her son Eärendil and he takes it to Valinor and never returns.
Here the "Enerdhil-story" diverges into two versions:
  • Gandalf brings back the jewel from Valinor and gives it to Galadriel, as a token from Yavanna that the Valar have not forsaken Middle-earth. In this version Gandalf also remarks prophetically to Galadriel that she will only hold it for a little while, before she passes it to another, who will also be called Elessar.
  • Galadriel is pained at the state of Middle-earth and wants something to help heal its wounds. Celebrimbor, who is in love with Galadriel, remakes the jewel as her behest. It is interesting to note that Celebrimbor was also in Gondolin in the time of Enerdhil and learned much from him. Although we are more familiar with Celebrimbor (and his Rings of Power), he was actually overshadowed by the superior skill of Enerdhil, who was second only to Fëanor.

There is also a third version that differs greatly from the first two. In that there is no mention of Enerdhil and instead it was Celebrimbor himself who in Gondolin made the original jewel. Eärendil takes this jewel to Valinor forever and in the Second Age Galadriel asks Celebrimbor to remake the jewel again.
Another version states that the Elfstone was created by Fëanor, who gave it to his eldest son Maedhros as he died. Maedhros then gave it to Fingon as a token of friendship, but the whereabouts of the gem thereafter are not known. The dragon-helm of Azaghâl probably replaced the Elfstone as Maedhros's gift to Fingon.
All versions end with the jewel in Galadriel's possession. She then gives it to her daughter Celebrían, who in turn gives it to Arwen. It nonetheless is in Galadriel's keeping in Lothlórien before she passes it on to Aragorn. According to Tolkien, this also held the function of a wedding gift from the family of the bride to the groom.
Another point of note is that earlier in The Lord of the Rings, Aragorn urged Bilbo Baggins to include a green jewel in a poem about Eärendil he was composing, possibly anticipating the symbolic importance that the gem would have in his life. Bilbo, obeying Aragorn but seemingly unaware of the Elfstone's story, included an inaccurate reference to an emerald.[7]

Magpie
Immortal

Jul 26 2008, 4:19pm

Post #5 of 8 (2450 views)
Shortcut
do I detect the creative wheels turning in Elven's head? :-) // [In reply to] Can't Post

magpie avatar gallery ~ soundtrack website ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Elven
Valinor

Jul 26 2008, 5:08pm

Post #6 of 8 (2576 views)
Shortcut
Bwaha! Yes, thats was the horrendous *clunk* you heard :D // [In reply to] Can't Post

stormcrow20
Gondor

Jul 26 2008, 11:04pm

Post #7 of 8 (2474 views)
Shortcut
John Howe and Rankin Bass Elfstones [In reply to] Can't Post

All I could find was one image of the Elfstone by John Howe, and two from the Rankin Bass RotK. Nothing from Lee, Nasmith or any other artists. Maybe someone with better skill at googling can find more.

John Howe:
http://tolkiengateway.net/...n_Howe_-_Elessar.jpg

Rankin Bass:
http://www.cedmagic.com/...-2-2919-aragorn.html

http://www.cedmagic.com/...004-return-king.html

I, too, hear the clanking of Elven's mind-wheels. Wink

Hope this helps.

~~~~~~
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -Dr. Seuss (Theodor Geisel)

Believe in the possibility of the impossible.

Elven
Valinor

Jul 27 2008, 7:42am

Post #8 of 8 (3421 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for the link stormcrow .. [In reply to] Can't Post

I had imagined the brooch looking something like what John Howe designed - but I have done some drawings, and my design is a little 'removed' from the obvious but fits into the description Wink ... now I have to go and do a jewellery class in how to make it ... though I think (by chance, if chance it be) I have the stone to go with this project Smile ... I wonder if it is possible to live on sandwiches for 6 months Wink I think my budget just flew out the window.

Cheers stormcrow20

Elven

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.