Attention Kiwi TORNsibs: Sigourney Weaver in Wellington

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 18 2007, 9:36pm

Post #1 of 21 (2052 views)
Shortcut
Attention Kiwi TORNsibs: Sigourney Weaver in Wellington Can't Post

Weaver to join sci-fi epic in NZ
American actress Sigourney Weaver will star in Avatar, the new film from heavyweight director James Cameron being partly shot in New Zealand.
Work is under way in Wellington on the film, the first directed by Cameron since he directed the blockbuster Titanic in 1997.
It is understood he is in Wellington overseeing preliminary work on the film.
Cameron has selected Wellington-based Weta Digital to handle the visual effects for Avatar, his science-fiction epic set for release in 2009.
Variety magazine reported that Weaver, 57, - who played Ellen Ripley in Aliens in 1986 - will star in the film.
She will play a space explorer called Grace.

Full story: http://www.stuff.co.nz/3966650a1860.html

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded b*****d with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Altaira
Superuser

Feb 18 2007, 10:48pm

Post #2 of 21 (1806 views)
Shortcut
Can non-Kiwis reply? ;-) [In reply to] Can't Post

Evil
I love Sigourney Weaver and am pleased to hear we have another of her films to look forward to, no less one filmed in paradise.

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

TORn Calendar

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 18 2007, 11:21pm

Post #3 of 21 (1805 views)
Shortcut
Well you're married to one [In reply to] Can't Post

so you're essentially a Kiwi now. ;)

Sigourney Weaver back in space? And all is right with the universe once more.

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded b*****d with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Noneoftheabove
Lorien

Feb 19 2007, 12:49am

Post #4 of 21 (1842 views)
Shortcut
It's good to see her working with Cameron again! [In reply to] Can't Post

I've always been a fan of Sigourney's films. Her starring role as Ripley in Alien is a favorite, as is the film it self a favorite of mine.

Anyone else have a geeky hope that he might direct the Hobbit if PJ won't? I know Cameron and Jackson will probably be talking about LotR on some level.

(This post was edited by Noneoftheabove on Feb 19 2007, 12:51am)

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 19 2007, 1:07am

Post #5 of 21 (1780 views)
Shortcut
hmmmm....not sure I want that [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I've always been a fan of Sigourney's films. Her starring role as Ripley in Alien is a favorite, as is the film it self a favorite of mine.

Anyone else have a geeky hope that he might direct the Hobbit if PJ won't? I know Cameron and Jackson will probably be talking about LotR on some level.

I'm not sure Cameron will respect the story of The Hobbit enough to keep his ego out of the way. Cameron strikes me as a director who tries to make the story his own, and that's the last thing I want for Tolkien's story.

Each cloak was fastened about the neck with a brooch like a green leaf veined with silver.
`Are these magic cloaks?' asked Pippin, looking at them with wonder.
`I do not know what you mean by that,' answered the leader of the Elves.

NARF since 1974.
Balin Bows

Noneoftheabove
Lorien

Feb 19 2007, 2:18am

Post #6 of 21 (1804 views)
Shortcut
Entmaiden, would you agree that a bad film director is someone who tries to please everybody? [In reply to] Can't Post

Peter Jackson with Fran and Phillipa have made LotR their own while also respecting the fanbase. Why couldn't Cameron do the same? I don't know the man personally, so it's not fair of me to say he has an ego that would get in the way of any movie he chooses.

I would rather have someone who wanted to make the film because they read and enjoyed the book and knew filmmaking to the degree that someone like Cameron does. Rather than a director who is unknown or popular for making average films that are made entirely for the purpose of generating money.

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 19 2007, 2:26am

Post #7 of 21 (1789 views)
Shortcut
Oh, absolutely [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Peter Jackson with Fran and Phillipa have made LotR their own while also respecting the fanbase. Why couldn't Cameron do the same? I don't know the man personally, so it's not fair of me to say he has an ego that would get in the way of any movie he chooses.

I would rather have someone who wanted to make the film because they read and enjoyed the book and knew filmmaking to the degree that someone like Cameron does. Rather than a director who is unknown or popular for making average films that are made entirely for the purpose of generating money.

I didn't like Titanic much, and Cameron's behavior during and after the release of the movie has given me the impression he has a big ego. If he loves Tolkien as much and Peter, Fran and Philippa do, and he wants to make a movie that honors Tolkien, then I'm happy. I just haven't seen much evidence that Cameron can do that.

Each cloak was fastened about the neck with a brooch like a green leaf veined with silver.
`Are these magic cloaks?' asked Pippin, looking at them with wonder.
`I do not know what you mean by that,' answered the leader of the Elves.

NARF since 1974.
Balin Bows

Noneoftheabove
Lorien

Feb 19 2007, 4:25am

Post #8 of 21 (1796 views)
Shortcut
Well we know what the Dwarves thought of Bilbo! [In reply to] Can't Post

Poor Bilbo wasn't making the best of impressions either.

For myself, if Peter Jackson and his crew won't be involved creatively in The Hobbit, I am not very interested in seeing the movie made at all actually. I can just read the book and imagine what it would have been like, and that's good enough for me.

The movie will be made, whether I like the director or not.. Let's just hope the fans like the movie.

Ainu Laire
Tol Eressea

Feb 19 2007, 4:34am

Post #9 of 21 (1783 views)
Shortcut
Is Cameron a fan of Tolkien? [In reply to] Can't Post

Has he been talked about as one of the possible directors of "The Hobbit" if PJ does not do it? In the end, I just want a director who is a large fan of Tolkien and will honor Middle-earth and treat it better than "another fantasy story" or something. While I'm not that big a fan of Titanic (I don't do romances), if Cameron is a large fan of Tolkien and will treat his works well, in the end I can think of many other worse directors than him.

But personally I'd still like to see PJ. Wink

My LJ
My art site
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Patty
Immortal

Feb 19 2007, 5:06am

Post #10 of 21 (1808 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Ainu Laire] Is Cameron a fan of Tolkien? [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm afraid I've lost all hope of PJ doing this. WETA, etc. are all lining up new projects and not dragging their feet to see what the outcome is, so I'm trying (hard) to let go. It's very difficult, and I just popped in my copy of the 76th Oscars to see everyone get his/her well deserved oscar and to hear the winners for foreign language film say how glad they were that LotR didn't qualify in their category. Those were the days--then. Today is just a whole other reality.Unsure

Lord Peter Wimsey's Main Squeeze

Ainu Laire
Tol Eressea

Feb 19 2007, 5:10am

Post #11 of 21 (1821 views)
Shortcut
Re: [Patty] Is Cameron a fan of Tolkien? [In reply to] Can't Post

Well, 10 years ago it was impossible to film LOTR in three films ;-)

Hum, well, I am hopeful. I am ready to expect another director. I just hope that whoever directs "The Hobbit" that they *love* Middle-earth and Tolkien. And that they have script writers who love it, too. *winces* The director may be good, but the script writers have to be good, too. And the costume designer. And the digital effects. And the cast director. And the art director. And... so many others.

*hopes anyways*

My LJ
My art site

Noneoftheabove
Lorien

Feb 19 2007, 6:39am

Post #12 of 21 (1774 views)
Shortcut
At least LotR teaches us how to cope when all hope is lost. [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm left feeling that PJ played a hand, and our interest as fans was at stake.

New Line Cinema won, and we lost.

Ainu Laire
Tol Eressea

Feb 19 2007, 6:48am

Post #13 of 21 (1760 views)
Shortcut
Well, that's just depressing. [In reply to] Can't Post

Besides, even when all hope was lost, there was still some hope and chance. However small.

*grins stupidly* Nothing can really quench my hopes until a director is officially named, and that director turns out to be someone looking for money and has no interest in Tolkien. That's when my hope would be completely smushed in the dirt.

My LJ
My art site

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 19 2007, 7:06am

Post #14 of 21 (1773 views)
Shortcut
I have faith in PJ's cunning. [In reply to] Can't Post

I have nothing to back this up other than a gut feeling and knowledge of him getting his way in the industry, but still ... I don't think PJ is out of this tussle and that he still has some weapons in his armoury.

Even if another director comes in for New Line's Hobbit, I still think we'll see PJ's on screen sometime.

Ataahua's stories

Patty
Immortal

Feb 19 2007, 7:09am

Post #15 of 21 (1753 views)
Shortcut
But "sometime" [In reply to] Can't Post

may be too late.
For the tie-in, second movie, I'd love to see Christopher Lee in a prominent role. Even Elrond is starting to look older.

Lord Peter Wimsey's Main Squeeze

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Feb 19 2007, 7:12am

Post #16 of 21 (1729 views)
Shortcut
Yes, [In reply to] Can't Post

that is the biggest worry: Cast continuity.

Ataahua's stories

Noneoftheabove
Lorien

Feb 19 2007, 7:15am

Post #17 of 21 (1750 views)
Shortcut
And I'm sure you're thinking - I'm either on medication and haven't taken it today, or I should be on medication. Only kidding, honest. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Besides, even when all hope was lost, there was still some hope and chance. However small.

*grins stupidly* Nothing can really quench my hopes until a director is officially named, and that director turns out to be someone looking for money and has no interest in Tolkien. That's when my hope would be completely smushed in the dirt.

My hope is that MGM will get PJ and Co. to direct The Hobbit. Do we know for sure if he's completely thrown his hands in the air with disgust? Or that he never was interested in The Hobbit in the first place, and simply used his leverage of that doubt against New Line?

Ainu Laire
Tol Eressea

Feb 19 2007, 7:37am

Post #18 of 21 (1738 views)
Shortcut
Hopefully [In reply to] Can't Post

That is my biggest hope too, and I do recall that Zaentz was interested in PJ filming. Well, in the end, if PJ *doesn't* want to film it, then that's that. I personally think he would want to... but who knows?

BTW, I love your avatar. I've been searching forever for a large image of Annatar-Sauron, and that makes me want to find it even more XD

My LJ
My art site

Noneoftheabove
Lorien

Feb 19 2007, 8:09am

Post #19 of 21 (1736 views)
Shortcut
Thanks Ainu Lare! I sent you a PM of a larger version of it.. (The best I have found.) [In reply to] Can't Post

GaladrielTX
Tol Eressea

Feb 19 2007, 3:42pm

Post #20 of 21 (1741 views)
Shortcut
To me, whether or not they're a fan is secondary. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
In the end, I just want a director who is a large fan of Tolkien and will honor Middle-earth and treat it better than "another fantasy story" or something.

As long as they're good at interpreting the story, I'll be happy. There are many people who say they love Tolkien but do dreadful fanfic, and it ends up as "another fantasy story". If a director does a reasonably professional job I'll be happy.

~~~~~~~~

I used to be GaladrielTX, but then TX seceded.

deej
Tol Eressea

Feb 19 2007, 5:29pm

Post #21 of 21 (1880 views)
Shortcut
Very cool [In reply to] Can't Post

I will have to keep an eye out for her when i'm down there!

Sincerely, deej - The Artist Formerly Known as djdeathskiss

Atlanta Woot! Moot 2007 - Join us Labor Day weekend; go to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/atlanta_woot_moot/

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.