The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
A lovely bit of Joss Whedon lunacy

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Jul 18 2008, 9:01pm

Post #1 of 14 (1109 views)
Shortcut
A lovely bit of Joss Whedon lunacy Can't Post

"Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog" will only be online until midnight Sunday. The link for Act 1 is below (it's about 13 minutes) and you can then click to get Act 2. Act 3 will be put online Saturday, then midnight Sunday it all goes away. http://drhorrible.com/act_I.html Neil Patrick Harris plays the hero, er anti-hero, er, main character, and Nathan Fillion, Captain Mal of Firefly, is spoofing his own heroic image as the antagonist, er, hero, er.... Ah, just watch it, already!

Do we walk in legends or on the green earth in the daylight?

A man may do both. For not we but those who come after will make the legends of our time. The green earth, say you? That is a mighty matter of legend, though you tread it under the light of day!

Arwen's daughter
Half-elven

Jul 18 2008, 9:03pm

Post #2 of 14 (988 views)
Shortcut
I loved it! [In reply to] Can't Post

I watched parts one and two last night. They're fabulous. Can't wait for the finale. This was how Joss Whedon kept himself busy during the Writer's Guild strike and thank Eru he did! Thanks for posting this Lily!!

My LiveJournal
My Costuming Site
TORn's Costume Discussions Archive
July Screencap of the Day Schedule

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Jul 18 2008, 9:16pm

Post #3 of 14 (997 views)
Shortcut
Oh, too bad. [In reply to] Can't Post

My sister, a big Whedon fan, is moving cross-country as I type. She packed up her computer several days ago, left for the big drive this morning, arrives Monday evening, and therefore will never see this.

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
We're discussing The Lord of the Rings in the Reading Room, Oct. 15, 2007 - Mar. 22, 2009!

Join us July 14-20 for "Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit".

+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=
How to find old Reading Room discussions.

Arwen's daughter
Half-elven

Jul 18 2008, 9:44pm

Post #4 of 14 (968 views)
Shortcut
Whedon hopes to put it on DVD in the future // [In reply to] Can't Post

My LiveJournal
My Costuming Site
TORn's Costume Discussions Archive
July Screencap of the Day Schedule

Eledhwen
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 18 2008, 11:08pm

Post #5 of 14 (986 views)
Shortcut
I think it's wonderful [In reply to] Can't Post

And am looking forward to Act III!

The music is definitely reminscent of the Buffy musical episode - not a bad thing, mind ...

Figwit Still Lives!

Calling for a Figwit cameo in The Hobbit since May 2008

hatster
Rohan

Jul 19 2008, 12:08am

Post #6 of 14 (980 views)
Shortcut
It costs all of 3.99 on iTunes for the "season pass" [In reply to] Can't Post

you can even buy it as a gift for her and that way it won't ever go away at all. It will be on her computer!

or if you are really broke I can tell you how to snag it off the free version....shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh send me an email

The term is over: the holidays have begun. The dream is ended: this is the morning.

(This post was edited by hatster on Jul 19 2008, 12:18am)

Lady of Light
Rivendell

Jul 19 2008, 3:20am

Post #7 of 14 (966 views)
Shortcut
Absolutely hilarious! [In reply to] Can't Post

Captain Hammer is just... I don't know, awesomely cheesy is the best way to describe it I guess. Laugh And Nathan Fillion fills the role so well (not to mention that t-shirt... rawr)

And I love the messages from Bad Horse.

Oh, the whole thing's great... I am totally going to be buying it, and everyone I know will be made to watch it sooner or later. I did the same thing with Firefly/Serenity.

I have become a Joss fan for life.

"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair."
- Douglas Adams, Mostly Harmless

"Bilbo, have you been at the Gaffer's home brew?"
"No! Well yes, but that's not the point..."

If it weren't for physics and law enforcement, I'd be unstoppable!

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Jul 19 2008, 6:31am

Post #8 of 14 (963 views)
Shortcut
Thanks! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'll check iTunes.

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
We're discussing The Lord of the Rings in the Reading Room, Oct. 15, 2007 - Mar. 22, 2009!

Join us July 14-20 for "Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit".

+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=
How to find old Reading Room discussions.

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Jul 19 2008, 1:27pm

Post #9 of 14 (960 views)
Shortcut
I just watched Act III [In reply to] Can't Post

Oh my, am I ever impressed. Funny, touching, brilliant lyrics -- how can he get so much into only 13 minutes?

This reminds me how much I miss Firefly....

A man may do both. For not we but those who come after will make the legends of our time. The green earth, say you? That is a mighty matter of legend, though you tread it under the light of day!

Magpie
Immortal

Jul 20 2008, 3:12pm

Post #10 of 14 (946 views)
Shortcut
Well, I finished it last night [In reply to] Can't Post

I've said over and over that Joss is a genius (well, in private conversation I use the word god) but...

I don't think I got it.

However my son thinks it brilliant so, what do I know.

magpie avatar gallery ~ soundtrack website ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Annael
Immortal

Jul 20 2008, 4:21pm

Post #11 of 14 (941 views)
Shortcut
thank you! [In reply to] Can't Post

just watched it all - hilarious!

Made me wish Neal Patrick Harris was playing Ozymandias in the "Watchmen" movie - he'd be perfect.

Our similarities bring us to a common ground; our differences allow us to be fascinated by each other.
- Tom Robbins
NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Jul 20 2008, 4:23pm

Post #12 of 14 (939 views)
Shortcut
Well [In reply to] Can't Post

I see it as a morality play -- be careful what you wish for. And it makes some sly comments on our celebrity culture, too.

Magpie
Immortal

Jul 20 2008, 5:09pm

Post #13 of 14 (944 views)
Shortcut
well... [In reply to] Can't Post

I did get both of those. I always think of the short story "The Monkey's Paw" when I see things like this. So, I guess in that sense, I got it. But my first gut reaction was I was missing something. An essence of something and that's what I mean by I didn't 'get it'. Or maybe I was just thrown but how everything resolved (mild spoiler: in terms of how it was pretty sad).

Perhaps I just need to watch it again. Or watch it on the tv screen. I seem to react to stories differently when watching in my computer chair in front of my monitor.

It was the Buffy musical episode that first made me think Joss was a genius. I'd certainly liked him up till then but there was stuff in that episode that made me go: O... M... G! But I was really connected to those characters and could sense and react to slight nuances of things.

The other thing that occurred to me last night was, it always takes awhile for me to settle into a new series, its world and its characters. I like a digging into a novel but I've always struggled with short stories. (Studying them in school was excruciating... I never could spit back to the teacher what she was looking for) I can enjoy a short story but I never react to it the same way as to a novel. This is, in essence, a short story. Maybe I wasn't bonded enough to the characters by time the end came.

Well, as I said, my son loves it and swears he's getting the DVD. I'll give it another chance or two but even if I think Whedon is a god, I don't adore everything he does so I can live with this not being a wow for me. I'm sure it was fun for him and I'm glad to see him having fun.

magpie avatar gallery ~ soundtrack website ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Jul 20 2008, 6:05pm

Post #14 of 14 (1005 views)
Shortcut
You're right [In reply to] Can't Post

Dr Horrible is a short story. I was impressed with how much characterization, how many details, Whedon could cram into a short story. If you enjoy longer stories better, though, I see how this one would seem to skim the top.

I was both surprised and impressed with how what was essentially a comedy, and a broad one at that, had such bittersweet undertones and, yes, the twist at the end did get my attention. It all worked for me, but you just never know, do you?

I'm glad your son liked it. I agree, Whedon and the actors all seemed to be having a lot of fun.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.