Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Del Toro not following the direction of Jackson?

ACDC1989
The Shire

Jul 18 2008, 8:01pm

Post #1 of 9 (1645 views)
Shortcut
Del Toro not following the direction of Jackson? Can't Post

Fellow readers and admirers of the prolific Tolkien,

it was released just today that Guillermo Del Toro stated to fellow Lord Of The Rings fans his The Hobbit will be very different from his directing predecessor.

Though many would undoubtedy see no major fault in Del Toro's approach as to many The Hobbit did not have a slight correlation to that of it's successor in terms of intrinsic detail.

I, sadly, find this move to be most woefull but yet much provocative. Let's not beat about the bush I admire Toro's work very much, as do a great many, as he has a striking way of creating such magnificent piece of works in film due to his creative ingenuity when it comes to ideas. I see the scene for Mirkwood to be something spectacular.

As i said previously my only dispute is his intentional divergence away from Jackson.

Please post all your comments as they will be most appreciated. Many thanks!

Arwen's daughter
Half-elven

Jul 18 2008, 8:21pm

Post #2 of 9 (299 views)
Shortcut
Hey ACDC1989 [In reply to] Can't Post

You might not get a lot of replies here since we've been talking about this just down the boards today. You can check it out HERE. I for one am glad he won't be too worried about mimicking PJ's style. It's just a recipe for disaster, im my opinion.

My LiveJournal
My Costuming Site
TORn's Costume Discussions Archive
July Screencap of the Day Schedule

Marionette
Rohan

Jul 20 2008, 6:00pm

Post #3 of 9 (206 views)
Shortcut
For me itīs OK!! [In reply to] Can't Post

As I am not such a big fan of Peter Jacksonīs trilogy (Though, I do appreaciate it) , I am happy with the idea of Del Toro doing something a bit different from Jackson (He said different from Jackson, but not exactly different from Tolkien) Wink
BlushBlushBlushBlushBlushBlush

I like Del Toroīs works so far, I am not worried about The Hobbit.Tongue (Well, I am a bit, but not that much)
But who knows....

"Dear friend good bye, no tears in my eyes.
So sad it ends, as it began"

(This post was edited by Marionette on Jul 20 2008, 6:02pm)

Malveth The Eternal
Lorien

Jul 21 2008, 11:34pm

Post #4 of 9 (171 views)
Shortcut
Yep [In reply to] Can't Post

I so agree. I'm not a great admirer of PJ's style, and I think GDT is way more gifted and seems (at this point) to understand the Hobbit in ways that PJ & Co. did not understand LotRs.

In Reply To
As I am not such a big fan of Peter Jacksonīs trilogy (Though, I do appreaciate it) , I am happy with the idea of Del Toro doing something a bit different from Jackson (He said different from Jackson, but not exactly different from Tolkien) Wink
BlushBlushBlushBlushBlushBlush

I like Del Toroīs works so far, I am not worried about The Hobbit.Tongue (Well, I am a bit, but not that much)
But who knows....

Alanthus

Jul 23 2008, 5:03pm

Post #5 of 9 (153 views)
Shortcut
GDT all the way [In reply to] Can't Post

GDT wold definitely be better suited for The Hobbit than PJ. As much as people would think that having PJ for the hobbit would be great, they don't realize that GDT would be greater. I feel he could do much more with the material that Tolkein wrote, especially with all the nonhuman creatures (see pan's labrinth).

Eruthurin
Rivendell

Jul 23 2008, 5:16pm

Post #6 of 9 (157 views)
Shortcut
Agree with this.... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
(He said different from Jackson, but not exactly different from Tolkien) Wink

Exactly!... that's the key!!.... don't worry so much about it.... as long as GDT keeps Tolkien's lines, I don't have any problem with his own style there also.... :) just love his horror concept mixed with fantasy and that lovely sense of innocence and wonder, and finding beauty even in the ugliest things....

:: All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you ::
Tapatía Orgullosa de tener al paisano Zapopano en la Tierra Media!.... :D

(This post was edited by Eruthurin on Jul 23 2008, 5:17pm)

Deni
Rivendell

Jul 23 2008, 7:17pm

Post #7 of 9 (146 views)
Shortcut
well... [In reply to] Can't Post

i think the films should go together...i think pj have done a very great job with this and i donīt want the hobbit films to be that different!!!
of course gdt is a great director ,too...and i think his work would be also that good,but the actors(gandalf as ian mckellen and so on..)return to their roles and act in these films,too,so there canīt be a huge difference between the films!!!

Eruthurin
Rivendell

Jul 23 2008, 8:23pm

Post #8 of 9 (150 views)
Shortcut
mmmhh... [In reply to] Can't Post

no, not huge, but not so similar..... I think they PJ,GDT, WETA, Fran Walsh, etc... will find the way to make it better.... :)

:: All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you ::
Tapatía Orgullosa de tener al paisano Zapopano en la Tierra Media!.... :D

Morthoron
Gondor

Jul 24 2008, 1:01am

Post #9 of 9 (1259 views)
Shortcut
Diverge away, Senor Del Toro... [In reply to] Can't Post

I hope Mr. Del Toro has his way as much as possible, particularly in the scripting department where I think Jackson, Boyens and Walsh got absolutely silly at times with the plot. And as far as The Hobbit goes, it is already a significant divergence from LotR in the ambience, character interaction and tone of the story, so I certainly don't want a carbon copy of LotR. And please, no Arwen moments where some character magically appears that has nothing whatsoever to do with the original plot.

THE EARL OF SANDWICH: "Egad, sir, I do not know whether you will die on the gallows or of the pox!"
JOHN WILKES: That will depend, my Lord, on whether I embrace your principles or your mistress."
John Wilkes (1727-1797)

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.