Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Lord of the Rings:
Did You Ever Notice... Gil-galad's Armor?
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Loresilme
Valinor

Jul 19 2008, 1:02am

Post #26 of 40 (3376 views)
Shortcut
Casual Fridays! [In reply to] Can't Post

Invented by the Second Agers, I'm sure. Those crazy kids, just driving their First Ager parents to distraction....

Arwen's daughter
Half-elven

Jul 19 2008, 1:04am

Post #27 of 40 (3381 views)
Shortcut
Now we know why the attendees of the Council of Elrond aren't given rolly chairs! [In reply to] Can't Post

Now there's a fabulous mental image. Elrond rolling over the hem of his robes Laugh

My LiveJournal
My Costuming Site
TORn's Costume Discussions Archive
July Screencap of the Day Schedule

Compa_Mighty
Tol Eressea

Jul 19 2008, 1:18am

Post #28 of 40 (3394 views)
Shortcut
In the top 3 of trilogy costumes! [In reply to] Can't Post

Defininitely impressive. The whole design for the prologue scene is astonishing, and this armor matches nicely with that of the common Elven soldier.

Have you done Prologue Elrond's armor yet?

Here's to Del Toro becoming the Irvin Kershner of Middle Earth!

Essay winner of the Show us your Hobbit Pride Giveway!

Arwen's daughter
Half-elven

Jul 19 2008, 2:07am

Post #29 of 40 (3376 views)
Shortcut
Not yet! [In reply to] Can't Post

But I'll definitely make sure it's on the list.

May I ask what your other two favorite costumes are?

My LiveJournal
My Costuming Site

Magpie
Immortal

Jul 19 2008, 2:33am

Post #30 of 40 (3373 views)
Shortcut
I used to wear long, drawstring/elastic waist skirts [In reply to] Can't Post

You know... they were popular for awhile. Kind of East Indian... kind of hippie. They are wonderful for folk dancing. When you roll the wheels of your chair on those and stand up, it pulls the skirt down off your waist.

magpie avatar gallery ~ soundtrack website ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Magpie
Immortal

Jul 19 2008, 2:42am

Post #31 of 40 (3373 views)
Shortcut
blue.... [In reply to] Can't Post

I love the blue. I love this Elf. Most of you probably know the motif on his chest and the color blue was drawn from Tolkien's heraldic emblem for Gil-galad.

To the left, the piece from the armor. In the middle, Daniel Falconer's drawing To the right, Tolkien's.

Daniel's emblematic drawings are dated 98. So they were thinking about this early.

I scanned pertinent pages from The Art of the Fellowship of the Ring and collected my ToyBiz figure images and put them on the web.
Start to view them HERE.

I love my ToyBiz figure.

Compa_Mighty
Tol Eressea

Jul 19 2008, 4:27am

Post #32 of 40 (3358 views)
Shortcut
Sure! [In reply to] Can't Post

I would have to say that, in no particular order, Gil-Galad, Prologue Elf and Sauron.

My top five is completed with the Easterling and Théoden King's armor. (Both of which you have already showcased Wink)

And have you done Sauron yet? I don't remember seeing him.

Here's to Del Toro becoming the Irvin Kershner of Middle Earth!

Essay winner of the Show us your Hobbit Pride Giveway!

Arwen's daughter
Half-elven

Jul 19 2008, 4:55am

Post #33 of 40 (3345 views)
Shortcut
No Sauron yet [In reply to] Can't Post

But you can be sure I'll be posting about his armor eventually. Those are all three really great pieces.

I'm archiving all of the discussions HERE, if you're interested.

My LiveJournal
My Costuming Site

Loresilme
Valinor

Jul 19 2008, 11:48am

Post #34 of 40 (3399 views)
Shortcut
"The troops wore green, you wore blue." [In reply to] Can't Post

Cool Casablanca, anyone? ("I remember every detail. The Germans wore grey, you wore blue.")

Hmmm, so the Elf army troops wore green and the King wore blue. Like the waves of the sea, maybe?

That's a really beautiful figurine - overall I find those figures really vary, some don't resemble the character at all, or the proportions are off, etc., and some are really beautiful, gracefully posed and really capture the character. Love the spear! And love that blue too, they really got it right. Do you keep it somewhere special or somewhere where you can look at it often? That blue is so nice on the eyes.

Magpie
Immortal

Jul 19 2008, 2:18pm

Post #35 of 40 (3362 views)
Shortcut
my figures [In reply to] Can't Post

...sit behind me in my computer room on a shelf. I try to keep them away from the window. I wish I had better display options. We not only have a smallish house but a real lack of wall space. It's very open with lots of windows, doors and hipped roofs upstairs. And I have a lot of books. The poor figures tend to fall over. The joints are all bendy and they just sag with exhaustion from standing at attention all the time.

I was really dedicated to get the Elves. I was not fond of the female Elf figures. But I went crazy tracking down figures like the prologue Elf and Gil-galad. I also bought the Helm's Deep set and the Lothlorien set to get the Elves in them--then gave figures to my sons that I didn't want. The only Elves I don't have (to my knowledge) are any Arwen figures, Galadriel figures other than the one in the Lothlorien set, Legolas in Council robes (it was ugly and, at the point, they had milked the Legolas figure beyond reason), and any Legolas figure that looked too much like the other five I already had.

FarFromHome
Valinor

Jul 19 2008, 2:36pm

Post #36 of 40 (3402 views)
Shortcut
Yes, I think this was in the days of formal battle-wear! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Maybe this was a formal battle?

When battles consisted of two groups of soldiers meeting face to face, there was no need for camouflage - you wore your most impressive regalia to intimidate your enemies. As the Duke of Wellington said, reviewing his men before the battle of Waterloo, "I don't know what they'll do to the enemy; but, by God, they frighten me!"

...and the sails were drawn up, and the wind blew,
and slowly the ship slipped away down the long grey firth;
and the light of the glass of Galadriel that Frodo bore
glimmered and was lost.

bearwen
Lorien

Jul 19 2008, 8:03pm

Post #37 of 40 (3338 views)
Shortcut
Thank you! [In reply to] Can't Post

Another interesting look at the costumes, I love your articles and no I didn't notice, not properly anyway, thanks!

I choose a mortal life!
I choosea mortal life

Loresilme
Valinor

Jul 20 2008, 1:07am

Post #38 of 40 (3348 views)
Shortcut
"... like the other five I already had" [In reply to] Can't Post

LOL.... yes, sometimes I'm glad I wasn't in on all of this when the movies were actually current and all this merchandise was available, because it would have been really hurtin' to my wallet. But your sets sound really great, arthritic Elves notwithstanding. Or is that, arthritic Elves not standing at all Crazy?

I'm sure there are great pieces still available out there, but it's probably better if I don't know about them Angelic.

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jul 26 2008, 1:15am

Post #39 of 40 (3340 views)
Shortcut
*gasp* Wonderful! [In reply to] Can't Post

Isn't this a stunning costume!? I wish they could have left him in more than just the instant or so. I was hoping we'd get the deleted scene edition Peter's promised us. Wouldn't it be wonderful if Mark Ferguson could be in The Hobbit and/or Film2? *sigh*

He's a riot, too. When Craig Parker (Haldir) and he do their stage time together at the conventions, they're CRAZY! Play off each other and has everyone in stitches the whole time.

The colour of his costume is so unique in comparison to the other male costumes. Like water is right. Perfect!

sample

"Barney Snow was here." ~Hug like a hobbit!~ "In my heaven..."

TORn's Observations Lists

Magpie
Immortal

Jun 7 2009, 1:17pm

Post #40 of 40 (3336 views)
Shortcut
Updated link [In reply to] Can't Post

Since I think there's a good chance Arwen's daughter's costume threads will be accessed for reference, I'm going to update a link I offered in my previous email.

You can now find my scans of pertinent pages from The Art of the Fellowship of the Ring and my collection of ToyBiz figure images at Picasa.

LOTR soundtrack website : TTT Lyrics Update May 09
magpie avatar gallery ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.