Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
Anyone have a Harper Collins 50th Anniversary LOTR?

Advising Elf
Rohan

Mar 22 2007, 8:33pm

Post #1 of 15 (1374 views)
Shortcut
Anyone have a Harper Collins 50th Anniversary LOTR? Can't Post

I stumbled across an image of the dust-jacket, which is The Prof's original design that wasn't used, and I would like to get a good image of it. I haven't been able to find a hi-res image on the Internet.

If anyone has it, could I get a good scan of it?

Yahoo!Group with good stuff to download:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LOTRgoodies/

drogo
Lorien

Mar 22 2007, 9:34pm

Post #2 of 15 (1223 views)
Shortcut
I have the Deluxe 50th [In reply to] Can't Post

This one:

But it doesn't show the 3 rings versus the One Ring design as clearly as the other hardcover 50th with the black background.

Edit: I also have the Quality PB Book version which has Tolkien's original sketch image on the yellow background, if that would work.

(Formerly drogo of the two names!)

(This post was edited by drogo on Mar 22 2007, 9:37pm)

SandWitch King
Rohan

Mar 22 2007, 11:03pm

Post #3 of 15 (1193 views)
Shortcut
Alas, I have no scanner [In reply to] Can't Post

I do have the book. If nobody steps forward I will try a hi-res digital photo. Smile

No wonder all writers want to direct: one still has to put up with a load of nonsense, but even if wearing two hats (writer and director), there is one under which one is not called a thief and then raped.

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Mar 23 2007, 12:23am

Post #4 of 15 (1195 views)
Shortcut
I've got [In reply to] Can't Post

the Anniversary Edition with a near-black color. I'll see if I can get a good scan for you this evening, and email it along!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Confusticate and bebother these dwarves!"

hatster
Rohan

Mar 23 2007, 12:53am

Post #5 of 15 (1225 views)
Shortcut
Not great but will one of these work? [In reply to] Can't Post

Here's one as a plain scan http://www.onceuponatari.com/hat/scan2.jpg

Here's one I photoslopped to try to make it a bit easier to read. http://www.onceuponatari.com/hat/scan2enhanced.jp

I have lost the dwarves and I have lost the wizard, and I don't know where I am; and I don't want to know, if only I can get away.

SandWitch King
Rohan

Mar 23 2007, 3:50am

Post #6 of 15 (1214 views)
Shortcut
You know what? How cool are those? [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't think I ever stopped to appreciate what a COOL design that is. Seeing it isolated like that is a real eye opener. Thanks!

No wonder all writers want to direct: one still has to put up with a load of nonsense, but even if wearing two hats (writer and director), there is one under which one is not called a thief and then raped.

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Mar 23 2007, 9:31am

Post #7 of 15 (1164 views)
Shortcut
These are awesome!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Brilliant! My scanner isn't working *scowl* so I couldn't get it. These turned out great! Thanks, m'dear :)

sample sample
Trust him... The Hobbit is coming!

"Barney Snow was here." ~Hug like a hobbit!~ "In my heaven..."

TORn's Observations Lists

hatster
Rohan

Mar 23 2007, 10:04am

Post #8 of 15 (1167 views)
Shortcut
but the hi res photo would probably work better than my scan [In reply to] Can't Post

because the design is done in foil so it doesn't pop out when scanned the way it does to the human eye. I mean, the parts that are red here are really copper and the stuff that looks black (the rings and such) are really silver. Weird how things work when you scan them.

I have lost the dwarves and I have lost the wizard, and I don't know where I am; and I don't want to know, if only I can get away.

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Mar 23 2007, 12:40pm

Post #9 of 15 (1181 views)
Shortcut
You did get good detail in those [In reply to] Can't Post

I found that the scanning light created quite a glare, which hindered being able to get a good resolution of the cover, and tweaking the settings didn't help very much!

I think you're right, a photo would be better, but then it depends on what AE is planning to do with this.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Confusticate and bebother these dwarves!"

Advising Elf
Rohan

Mar 23 2007, 1:20pm

Post #10 of 15 (1174 views)
Shortcut
Thank you, hatster! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm actually looking for this:

but what you sent is great, too! Thanks again!

Advising Elf
Rohan

Mar 23 2007, 1:35pm

Post #11 of 15 (1166 views)
Shortcut
Actually, the yellow background one is what I originally had in mind. . . [In reply to] Can't Post

but these hard-cover images are great, too.

I would appreciate a hi-res scan (300 dpi min - 600 even better) of the white background and the QPBC cover, too.

Thanks a bunch!

drogo
Lorien

Mar 23 2007, 3:48pm

Post #12 of 15 (1165 views)
Shortcut
No problem [In reply to] Can't Post

I'll do a scan of it on Monday (I do it at work). Those are the only editions I've found that have Tolkien's designs for the covers

Advising Elf
Rohan

Mar 23 2007, 3:49pm

Post #13 of 15 (1154 views)
Shortcut
Much grass. // [In reply to] Can't Post

drogo
Lorien

Mar 23 2007, 3:50pm

Post #14 of 15 (1160 views)
Shortcut
Great scan [In reply to] Can't Post

I love that design, especially with the rings' gems all pointed straight at the One like they are cornering it!

drogo
Lorien

Mar 26 2007, 3:36pm

Post #15 of 15 (1161 views)
Shortcut
Here's the scan of the Quality PB book version [In reply to] Can't Post

The lettering was changed but the design is the same, and it even has the tracing marks Tolkien used in drawing it.

http://img.photobucket.com/...kien/FORT_design.jpg

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.