Gandalf Defeated The Spanish Armada?
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

DiveTwin
Rohan

Jul 15 2008, 10:31pm

Post #1 of 29 (1463 views)
Shortcut
Gandalf Defeated The Spanish Armada? Can't Post

OK, this is either really sad ... or Peter Jackson did one heck of a job giving "Lord Of The Rings" even more of a historical feel that he intended.

An article in the Newcastle (UK) Journal talks about the complaints on how little British kids know about the world is a bit overblown, but then they said:

It may be slightly worrying that in one recent poll fewer than half those questioned knew that Sir Francis Drake defeated the Spanish Armada.
And, okay, it’s frankly terrifying that 6% of those questioned thought that this great historical victory was down to the wizard Gandalf from Lord of the Rings.

So I suppose the Corsairs sailing up the Anduin had a Spanish feel to them ....

The article is here:

http://www.nebusiness.co.uk/...rked-51140-21314939/

"Do not come between the Nazgul and his prey"

L. Ron Halfelven
Grey Havens

Jul 16 2008, 12:02am

Post #2 of 29 (864 views)
Shortcut
Shadowfax, show us the meaning of haste, once I've finished this game of bowls./ [In reply to] Can't Post

Far he journeyed in that ship, even into the starless voids; but most often was he seen at morning or at evening, glimmering in sunrise or sunset, as he came back to Valinor from voyages beyond the confines of the world.

More pictures here.

SmeagoloftheStoors
Lorien

Jul 16 2008, 12:21am

Post #3 of 29 (818 views)
Shortcut
Hmm... and all this time I thought it was the Cat in the Hat.// [In reply to] Can't Post

Eglario Valar!
It's me!
It's me!

squire
Half-elven

Jul 16 2008, 12:23am

Post #4 of 29 (800 views)
Shortcut
"He wielded Narya, the Ring of Fire-ships." [In reply to] Can't Post

squire online:
RR Discussions: The Valaquenta, A Shortcut to Mushrooms, and Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit
Lights! Action! Discuss on the Movie board!: 'A Journey in the Dark'. and 'Designing The Two Towers'.
Footeramas: The 3rd TORn Reading Room LotR Discussion; and "Tolkien would have LOVED it!"
squiretalk introduces the J.R.R. Tolkien Encyclopedia: A Reader's Diary

Morthoron
Gondor

Jul 16 2008, 1:00am

Post #5 of 29 (815 views)
Shortcut
Yes! [In reply to] Can't Post

It is a little known fact that, under the name Gandalfo Vespucci, the Istar sailed on the same ship with Sir Francis Drake. Errol Flynn was in on the action as well.

THE EARL OF SANDWICH: "Egad, sir, I do not know whether you will die on the gallows or of the pox!"
JOHN WILKES: That will depend, my Lord, on whether I embrace your principles or your mistress."
John Wilkes (1727-1797)

weaver
Half-elven

Jul 16 2008, 3:03am

Post #6 of 29 (805 views)
Shortcut
Hey, could this be the plot for Film 2? [In reply to] Can't Post

I mean, think about it...

GDT at the helm...he can talk Spanish...

Viggo did that Alatriste film, where he brushed up on his Spanish...

And then there was Cate Blanchett playing Queen Elizabeth who fought the Spanish...

Coincidence? I think not...

Weaver

Mar
Gondor

Jul 16 2008, 4:03am

Post #7 of 29 (804 views)
Shortcut
Creative answers are a wonderful thing. Correct answers are boring// [In reply to] Can't Post

Fear is a bad habit. Despair is lazy. Evil is boring.
The universe is friendly. Life is on your side.

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 16 2008, 6:03am

Post #8 of 29 (815 views)
Shortcut
So...was Gandalf one of the offered choices? [In reply to] Can't Post

Or was he a write-in?

Because if I saw Gandalf on the list, the temptation would be something terrible.

Silverlode

"Of all faces those of our familiares are the ones both most difficult to play fantastic tricks with, and most difficult really to see with fresh attention. They have become like the things which once attracted us by their glitter, or their colour, or their shape, and we laid hands on them, and then locked them in our hoard, acquired them, and acquiring ceased to look at them.
Creative fantasy, because it is mainly trying to do something else [make something new], may open your hoard and let all the locked things fly away like cage-birds. The gems all turn into flowers or flames, and you will be warned that all you had (or knew) was dangerous and potent, not really effectively chained, free and wild; no more yours than they were you."
-On Fairy Stories

Ainu Laire
Tol Eressea

Jul 16 2008, 7:00am

Post #9 of 29 (815 views)
Shortcut
Definitely [In reply to] Can't Post

And, I will admit, I have a devious mind and would very much like to mess the numbers up by selecting "Gandalf". :D

My LJ
My art site
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
NARF since age 8, when I refused to read the Hobbit because the cover looked boring and icky.

greenthread

Jul 16 2008, 3:21pm

Post #10 of 29 (777 views)
Shortcut
For what it's worth.... [In reply to] Can't Post

My four year old daughter thinks the Pope is "White Gandalf!"

Zahra

Jul 16 2008, 3:29pm

Post #11 of 29 (771 views)
Shortcut
Journalist name [In reply to] Can't Post

Anybody noticed that the author for the aricle is named "Peter Jackson"? Some days, it just falls into your lap.

Elberbeth
Tol Eressea

Jul 16 2008, 3:37pm

Post #12 of 29 (785 views)
Shortcut
Doesn't this all relate to the fact that young people [In reply to] Can't Post

read a lot less than previous generations? I think I know a lot of stuff I was not ever taught, but picked up from reading everything I could. I'm not sure we should blame people for not learning things they haven't been taught, but I suppose we could expect people to want to learn about more things they don't know about.

Okay, that was incoherent, but I'm sure you get what I mean.

"There are some things that it is better to begin than to refuse, even though the end may be dark."

Elven
Valinor

Jul 16 2008, 4:00pm

Post #13 of 29 (757 views)
Shortcut
Im sure Sir Ian would get a chuckle out of that! I did :-D // [In reply to] Can't Post

Were off to Hobbiton finally!

Tolkien was a Capricorn!!
Russell Crowe for Beorn!!

StillCrazy
Bree

Jul 16 2008, 4:06pm

Post #14 of 29 (770 views)
Shortcut
Well [In reply to] Can't Post

It just goes to show that Americans aren't the only ones who get this stuff messed up.

I love it, totally love it. But what about Merlin?

Merlin: Well I guess I better get busy setting up for the Spanish Armada
Gandalf: Got it covered.
Merlin: No fair, you get all the good jobs. Mad

All the worlds a stage.

Egladhon

Jul 16 2008, 4:18pm

Post #15 of 29 (750 views)
Shortcut
I wonder... [In reply to] Can't Post

Just how old are these "young" people of which the article is speaking? If these are ten and under, that's one thing. The Winston Churchhill bit is hard to believe, although I've seen UK polls saying approximately 11% of people under 20 thought him a fictional character.

Signed,
Egladhon, Ranger of Dunland

Menelwyn
Rohan

Jul 16 2008, 4:49pm

Post #16 of 29 (742 views)
Shortcut
I was thinking that too [In reply to] Can't Post

If Gandalf was offered as a choice, I too would be tempted, although I'd probably put the correct answer. But I know a lot of young people who really would put Gandalf just because it would be funny.

And you almost have to think that Gandalf was listed as a choice--would that many random people actually choose the same goofy or wrong answer as a write-in? As opposed to, say, Harry Potter, or Jack Sparrow, or Darth Vader? There would be a larger spread in goofy write-in choices.

Sunflower
Valinor

Jul 16 2008, 6:13pm

Post #17 of 29 (733 views)
Shortcut
I don't know whether to laugh or cry. [In reply to] Can't Post

11% of all British kids think Churchill was fictional. I mean...my God...I don't even think we Americans can top that one. How many kids would think Lincoln or Wilson or FDR was fiction. Well, Wilson maybe. You go far enough back in history...but really.

They MUST have offered Gandalf as a choice. Somebody ouught to contact the author of the article and ask for a follow-up...this is just too good to believe.

Can't wait to hear what Ian puts up on his website about this!

And Greenthread, that is just *too adorable*.

Compa_Mighty
Tol Eressea

Jul 16 2008, 6:22pm

Post #18 of 29 (733 views)
Shortcut
Priceless! [In reply to] Can't Post

That was great!

Anyway, I agree with the article... ignorant youth is overdone.

Here's to Del Toro becoming the Irvin Kershner of Middle Earth!

Essay winner of the Show us your Hobbit Pride Giveway!

squire
Half-elven

Jul 16 2008, 8:03pm

Post #19 of 29 (735 views)
Shortcut
Good point! [In reply to] Can't Post

Merlin, of course.

Once again, British schools have failed. Imagine teaching a generation of young people that a wizard defeated the Armada, and then getting even that wrong.

squire online:
RR Discussions: The Valaquenta, A Shortcut to Mushrooms, and Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit
Lights! Action! Discuss on the Movie board!: 'A Journey in the Dark'. and 'Designing The Two Towers'.
Footeramas: The 3rd TORn Reading Room LotR Discussion; and "Tolkien would have LOVED it!"

Jazmine
Tol Eressea

Jul 16 2008, 8:09pm

Post #20 of 29 (707 views)
Shortcut
That's a great idea! [In reply to] Can't Post

So, Mr Del Toro, if you're listening, weaver may have just solved all your F2 plot problems! Tongue

*Jazminatar the Brown*

FarFromHome
Valinor

Jul 16 2008, 8:57pm

Post #21 of 29 (706 views)
Shortcut
Plus ça change.... [In reply to] Can't Post

Anybody here remember 1066 And All That?

...and the sails were drawn up, and the wind blew,
and slowly the ship slipped away down the long grey firth;
and the light of the glass of Galadriel that Frodo bore
glimmered and was lost.

squire
Half-elven

Jul 16 2008, 9:03pm

Post #22 of 29 (706 views)
Shortcut
“Honey, your silk stocking’s hanging down” // [In reply to] Can't Post

squire online:

FarFromHome
Valinor

Jul 16 2008, 9:30pm

Post #23 of 29 (702 views)
Shortcut
I like the bit about the Saxons [In reply to] Can't Post

Memorable among the Saxon warriors were Hengist and his wife (?or horse), Horsa. Hengist made himself King in the South. Thus Hengist was the first English King and his wife (or horse), Horsa, the first English Queen (or horse). The country was now almost entirely inhabited by Saxons and was therefore renamed England, and thus (naturally) soon became C. of E. This was a Good Thing, because previously the Saxons had worshipped some dreadful gods of their own called Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday and Saturday.

In fact, I can't read the "Fallohide brothers Marcho and Blanco" bit in the LotR Prologue without remembering the wife (? or horse) in 1066....

Laugh

...and the sails were drawn up, and the wind blew,
and slowly the ship slipped away down the long grey firth;
and the light of the glass of Galadriel that Frodo bore
glimmered and was lost.

Andunie

Jul 17 2008, 12:03am

Post #24 of 29 (684 views)
Shortcut
That just explained everything. [In reply to] Can't Post

Good call.

deviantArt | Blog | Etsy

Hengist
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 17 2008, 2:19pm

Post #25 of 29 (677 views)
Shortcut
Just to make it clear [In reply to] Can't Post

I have never married a horse. And no I don't hang around stables either. Wink

Disclaimer: Anything said in an admin capacity is subject to change dependent on how loud Altaira yells at me........

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.