Grey Havens

Jun 15 2008, 8:42am

Post #1 of 35 (4339 views)
Shortcut
Black Rider Can't Post

Black Rider

**Tribute: Lt. J.G. Robert Sterling, WWII Pilot MIA, by Gramma & DoN**
Art Gallery Revised, Aloha & Mahalo, Websites Directory

Nienna: “ those who hearken to her learn pity, and endurance in hope . . . All those who wait in Mandos cry to her, for she brings strength to the spirit and turns sorrow to wisdom." — Valaquenta

Deni
Rivendell

Jun 15 2008, 4:46pm

Post #2 of 35 (3715 views)
Shortcut
awesome^^ [In reply to] Can't Post

wow...that´s awesome....it makes me feel scary,when I look at the pictureLaugh
very good job!!!!!
how long have you drawn on that??Evil

Daughter of Nienna
Grey Havens

Jun 15 2008, 5:31pm

Post #3 of 35 (3733 views)
Shortcut
I started it [In reply to] Can't Post

3 weeks ago, finished it on Thursday. I spent many of those those days working on it all day. However, there were some days i didn't get to work on it at all. Some days I had appointmenst and other important things to manage.

The first week was mostly spent in preparation... Web searching for images, peicing together a full image from 3 different ones in photoshop... then mapping it on on my page. I mostly draw from potographic images.

The actual drawing of it took about two weeks, I guess.

Much of artwork is done in the preparation. I had a teacher that used to say: (I forget the actual percentages he used) that only about 2% was in the actual doing stage... a big portion was in the dreaming stage. There is also research and other kinds of preparation as well. Then there is Doing stage. Finally, there's making ready for presentation, which should never be underestimated. Some say presentation is everything.

Thank you for you comments, they are much appreciated.

DoN

Nienna: “ those who hearken to her learn pity, and endurance in hope . . . All those who wait in Mandos cry to her, for she brings strength to the spirit and turns sorrow to wisdom." — Valaquenta

Daughter of Nienna
Grey Havens

Jun 15 2008, 6:06pm

Post #4 of 35 (3714 views)
Shortcut
Larger Black Rider [In reply to] Can't Post

Black Rider

Deni
Rivendell

Jun 15 2008, 6:29pm

Post #5 of 35 (3718 views)
Shortcut
:) [In reply to] Can't Post

cool...Cool
....i couldn´t draw on a picture for that long time...the longest time i needed ,was almost 20 hours...Shocked
if i draw on a picture too long,i´m going to make it worse than it already was..
well,...i wish i could draw like you...all of your drawings are very well...!!!!

PS:you have so many details in there...that´s fantastic
i mainly love the trees....
....and the faces of the hobbits are awesome,i think!!!!!

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jun 16 2008, 3:07am

Post #6 of 35 (3684 views)
Shortcut
Beautifully done! [In reply to] Can't Post

I really like the style you used. The high contrast and sharp outlines really give the picture a sense of depth and also of urgency. I like it a lot.

Just one question, though - does the Black Rider's horse have ears? I can't seem to make them out.

Silverlode

"Of all faces those of our familiares are the ones both most difficult to play fantastic tricks with, and most difficult really to see with fresh attention. They have become like the things which once attracted us by their glitter, or their colour, or their shape, and we laid hands on them, and then locked them in our hoard, acquired them, and acquiring ceased to look at them.
Creative fantasy, because it is mainly trying to do something else [make something new], may open your hoard and let all the locked things fly away like cage-birds. The gems all turn into flowers or flames, and you will be warned that all you had (or knew) was dangerous and potent, not really effectively chained, free and wild; no more yours than they were you."
-On Fairy Stories

Kelvarhin
Half-elven

Jun 16 2008, 4:16am

Post #7 of 35 (3683 views)
Shortcut
I love this [In reply to] Can't Post

there's just so much detail and a sense of menace. It's beautiful DoN, absolutely beautiful.

There he stood
Proud and solemn
Yet happy and gay
Kelvarhin's Universe
In the land of TORnadoes...where the brilliant play (with thanks to grammaboodawg :) )

Daughter of Nienna
Grey Havens

Jun 16 2008, 6:41am

Post #8 of 35 (3685 views)
Shortcut
no ears... [In reply to] Can't Post

were visible in the original image, so I didn't draw them. The horse has an extraordinary amount of straps and rings and chains on it... even more than I drew, I chose to leave some off. But since this was the first horse I have ever drawn, I didn't want to put the ears in the wrong place, or the wrong shape, or the wrong size proportionally by guessing. And given my deadline, I opted out of doing any more research on the net for horse images. Not like I was doing this on comission.

Now that I am past the deadline (birthday party gift), I can go back and add ears at some point.

There are a few other problems with the horse. Teh image I was working from was not a very good quality... low res... not clear in some places... I had the most trouble with the horse. The Rider is minus feet, too. In the image, the stirrup and steely boot were placed very high up.... it looked absurd in som way... a short Black Rider... seemed to me to sap teh scarriness out of him... so I left off any feet... after considerng putting it lowere, thenn chosing not to.

Thanks for the compliments.

Daughter of Nienna
Grey Havens

Jun 16 2008, 7:39am

Post #9 of 35 (3771 views)
Shortcut
I meant to add... [In reply to] Can't Post

that all teh straps on the horse's head appear to not allowing the ears to stand up... or maybe becaus of teh low resolution, the details of the ears aren't visible with the background of the trees behind them... little contrast.

labingi_maura
Rivendell

Jun 16 2008, 3:13pm

Post #10 of 35 (3719 views)
Shortcut
Lovely piece! [In reply to] Can't Post

Your style has an almost bas-relief quality to it, very dimensional, with
exceptional detail! Quite lovely! If its possible for you to do so and you have the time, I'd like to see close-up scans of the hobbits' faces.
-ML
aka
-Debbie/primmy

"I am in fact a hobbit in all but size." - J.R.R.Tolkien

Jazmine
Tol Eressea

Jun 16 2008, 7:46pm

Post #11 of 35 (3676 views)
Shortcut
That's wonderful! [In reply to] Can't Post

It's great to see the quality of art we get posted on here, we've got some really talented people!

The detail in this is incredible, I especially love the shadowy folds on the Black Rider's cloak.

*Jazminatar the Brown*

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jun 17 2008, 2:44am

Post #12 of 35 (3748 views)
Shortcut
I doubt [In reply to] Can't Post

that the straps are holding the horse's ears down, as no horse is going to put up with that for long! It's probably either that the horse had its ears back at that moment, or that they blended in to the background.

But it's a pretty minor detail, and I really love the picture! Smile

Silverlode

"Of all faces those of our familiares are the ones both most difficult to play fantastic tricks with, and most difficult really to see with fresh attention. They have become like the things which once attracted us by their glitter, or their colour, or their shape, and we laid hands on them, and then locked them in our hoard, acquired them, and acquiring ceased to look at them.
Creative fantasy, because it is mainly trying to do something else [make something new], may open your hoard and let all the locked things fly away like cage-birds. The gems all turn into flowers or flames, and you will be warned that all you had (or knew) was dangerous and potent, not really effectively chained, free and wild; no more yours than they were you."
-On Fairy Stories

Starling
Half-elven

Jun 17 2008, 8:37am

Post #13 of 35 (3663 views)
Shortcut
I would suspect [In reply to] Can't Post

that the horse has its ears laid back in a menacing manner, probably they would be lying between the browband and headpiece of the bridle, and maybe they blended into the background as you thought.

As for the short stirrups, I wonder if they looked shorter because of the angle. There was a point of view where you felt as if you were looking up toward the black rider, if I remember rightly.

Or else, perhaps the black rider was also a jockey. Wink

I always enjoy looking at your artwork. Thanks for posting it.

Dagonet
Lorien

Jun 18 2008, 5:18pm

Post #14 of 35 (3651 views)
Shortcut
This is really nice! [In reply to] Can't Post

I've always liked the Black Riders and Nazgul, and I think you did an incredible job. It's a very nice piece and I really like the detail on the horse and if I would've drawn it I would've made plenty more mistakes than just the ear thing. It's a great picture!Wink

Dagonet,
Three Rings for the Elven-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Dwarf-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Men doomed to die,
One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
In the Land of Mordor where the Shdows lie.
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.

Daughter of Nienna
Grey Havens

Jun 19 2008, 12:40am

Post #15 of 35 (3656 views)
Shortcut
Thank You / [In reply to] Can't Post

Anorien
Rohan

Jun 19 2008, 1:31am

Post #16 of 35 (3654 views)
Shortcut
Awesome! [In reply to] Can't Post

Your technique is beautiful. The shadowing is wonderfully done. The black rider looks very intimidating. The plants look a little odd though, but that is just me. Your tree is so cool looking! I really like trees so I notice these things.

I know others saw it, but the ears, on the horse?

But I still love it! Good job! How long have you been drawing?

namadriel
Lorien

Jun 25 2008, 7:16pm

Post #17 of 35 (3650 views)
Shortcut
Oooo, I like! [In reply to] Can't Post

I really like the style of it. And the detail is very impressive!

Darcy

Jun 26 2008, 3:51am

Post #18 of 35 (3723 views)
Shortcut
Great style and texture... [In reply to] Can't Post

It's so tolkieny and fantasy like. I really love it, it's such an other wordly air, like something straight out of your imagination.

elrondpegg
The Shire

Jun 27 2008, 9:38am

Post #19 of 35 (3625 views)
Shortcut
Black rider thoughts [In reply to] Can't Post

Wow ! Utterly World class . I've recently been sitting down at the early stages of the very same scene! Puts me off doing it now, can't compete with that ! Respect!

SteveS

Jul 6 2008, 3:55pm

Post #20 of 35 (3621 views)
Shortcut
Black Rider [In reply to] Can't Post

Wow, that's excellent, well done! I think you have captured the scene perfectly.

Discover the secrets of the map...download the ebook version of epic fantasy adventure 'The Map of the Known World' for free by visiting http://www.lulu.com/content/294457

Gondorian_Ranger
Rivendell

Jul 14 2008, 9:31pm

Post #21 of 35 (3633 views)
Shortcut
I like it. [In reply to] Can't Post

That's great, I especially like the way the wraith seems to tower above everything. Those old, gnarled trees are excellent.

"The city of Osgiliath has been reclaimed, FOR GONDOR!"
Photobucket

Daughter of Nienna
Grey Havens

Jul 15 2008, 5:28pm

Post #22 of 35 (3599 views)
Shortcut
are you posting Flat Mode? [In reply to] Can't Post

First, thank you for your wonderful comments on the artwork. It is very much appreciated.

just some helpful hints...
When posting in Flat mode you need to reallize exactly which post you are prlying to. Your reply is to SteveS, but I assume that you meant to reply to me since SteveS didn't post any art.

The best thisg is to post reply in Threaded Mode, then there is no confusion... but if you must post in Flat Mode, and you want to reply to the original post, then you need to scroll up to that original post to hit then reply button.

Same is true when osting a reply to a reply...make sure you are actually responding to the reply you intending to reply to...

There is no problem, though, when posting in Threaded mode... this can be changed at top of each board or in you preferences.

I keep my preferences set to Threaded Mode and only use Flat when reading a long thread that doesn't have a lot of sub-threads... and then I usually return to threaded mode befoer making any replies.... that works for me. Of course you can find your ownway that works for me.

(This post was edited by Daughter of Nienna on Jul 15 2008, 5:31pm)

Daughter of Nienna
Grey Havens

Jul 15 2008, 5:34pm

Post #23 of 35 (3589 views)
Shortcut
Who is your reply intended for? [In reply to] Can't Post

If for me, then thank you very much.

here is what I wrote to Gondorian Ranger who I suspect is making the same mix-up.

http://newboards.theonering.net/...forum_view_expanded;

Daughter of Nienna
Grey Havens

Jul 15 2008, 5:38pm

Post #24 of 35 (3602 views)
Shortcut
Great comments... [In reply to] Can't Post

I hope you won't be discouraged... I took classes and had an excellant teacher.

Thank you for your reply.

Gondorian_Ranger
Rivendell

Jul 15 2008, 7:03pm

Post #25 of 35 (3633 views)
Shortcut
Yes, I was replying to you. [In reply to] Can't Post

Now I see what I've done wrong, thanks for pointing out the different view modes to me, hadn't noticed them before Smile

"The city of Osgiliath has been reclaimed, FOR GONDOR!"

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.