Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: TORn Moots and Other Events:
A thank you to hobbitlove, ordinary hobbit, and Magpie...

Radhruin
Rohan

Jul 14 2008, 6:26am

Post #1 of 12 (557 views)
Shortcut
A thank you to hobbitlove, ordinary hobbit, and Magpie... Can't Post

...for making my evening in Minneapolis tonight so enjoyable! It was my first moot (albeit a mini-moot) and it was really amazing to finally meet several TORnsibs.

Some details: hobbitlove and ordinary hobbit gave me a heads up about a Gilbert and Sullivan Pirates of Penzance concert that they were attending in Minneapolis on Sunday afternoon. They invited me to join them, and after some work on my part (my car has been in the garage for the last week) I was able to figure out a way to join them Sunday evening for the concert. They had notified Magpie, and she was able to join us also.

The concert was wonderful. It was held at the beautiful Lake Harriet Bandshell in Minneapolis:

The weather was gorgeous, and we all had a nice chat afterwards. I really enjoyed it, and even though I knew I would be impressed with any TORn members that I would meet, my three hosts exceeded all expectations. What lovely, friendly, down-to-earth people.

It is always a good day when you meet new friends. This day was a very good day!

Thanks you guys!

Radhruin

"A dead thing can go with the stream, but only a living thing can go against it."
~Chesterton

(This post was edited by Radhruin on Jul 14 2008, 6:34am)

Magpie
Immortal

Jul 14 2008, 4:40pm

Post #2 of 12 (295 views)
Shortcut
A good time was had by all [In reply to] Can't Post

I love Pirates of Penzance and was excited to get the very, very last minute invite from OrdinaryHobbit for a Minne-moot.

I arrived at the bandshell a little later than OH and Hobbit Love thought they'd be there. I didn't see them so I just went right to the concession stand to get some ice cream. I ordered a single scoop on a cone (more fun, don't you think?) but the amount was more like a double scoop. Three steps from the window the ice cream was dripping down my hand and 30 steps later the whole blob landed on the grass. (grr... they did not even try to push this ice cream down into the cone at all.) Hey, I'm not overly finicky and evoked the 3 second rule -- picking a few bits of grass off the blob and smashing it back down into the cone. But now both hands were thoroughly covered in ice cream. I'd also been at the bandshell perhaps 15 minutes now with no sign of OH or HL (I had no idea what Radhuin looked like.) I had a instant sinking thought that I had gotten it wrong. The concert wasn't at Lake Harriet but at Harriet Island, the two locations being miles apart and in different cities. I also decided the ice cream was a lost cause. I dumped it in the trash bin and went to wash my hands. As I walked past the bandshell once more I asked people sitting in the benches what the act was that evening. That would tell me if I had the right Harriet. They had no clue (and I will say, seemed to think I was odd for asking a perfect stranger). Oh well, it was now considerably past the time OH and HL said they'd be there and I didn't think they'd be that late. I'd just walk back to the car, go home and email them about the misunderstanding. As I rounded the bandshell a voice called out, "Magpie!" and there they were. (In the shade like rational people.) I have to say this story is so typical of me. I'll save similar stories for other times.

After the concert, which was superb, we all chatted for an hour or so. It was simply a perfect evening of blue skies, persistent breeze (which kept the temp. pleasant and the bugs away), and fellowship. I think it's easy (for me anyhow) to take our lovely city for granted and it had been awhile since I'd been to Lake Harriet. I was so glad for the opportunity to meet up with fellow Tolkien lovers - again... and for the first time. I was grateful that Radhuin had agreed to the 2+ hour drive. We're already contemplating another Minne-moot to work on laerasea's journal. Zmulady... I see you lurking out there. We got you included in these plans. Any other Minnesotans (or outlying states who consider the Twin Cities a day trip drive away) out there?

I thought I'd offer a different view of the bandshell. I see HobbitLove has it as her avatar now. Apparently they (HL and Ordinary Hobbit) are great fans of the concerts there. They had the tshirt and the fan on a stick!

magpie avatar gallery ~ soundtrack website ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Jul 14 2008, 7:25pm

Post #3 of 12 (279 views)
Shortcut
LOL! [In reply to] Can't Post

Loved the ice cream story. Yep, it can be complicated meeting up with people you only know online. At my very first moot, several of us got together at a house to watch the Oscars when FotR was a contender. I wasn't sure I was at the right house until I saw the sign on the door. It said, in Tolkienesque letters, "No admittance except on party business." :-)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
"A Chance Meeting at Rivendell" and other stories

leleni at hotmail dot com

hobbitlove
Gondor

Jul 15 2008, 3:14am

Post #4 of 12 (267 views)
Shortcut
RL trumps tORn. [In reply to] Can't Post

It was meant to be. Dunno why, but nothing was ever so last minute and iffy and yet it all turned out so great.
We wanted you to be pleased and happy with the first real sibs you met - it was important that you wouldn't be sorry you drove 4 ! hours...
What if we made you feel ill at ease or just plain bored you? We were so nervous that you would be okay with everything. Unimpressed

I still think we should have had a champagne picnic.Smile
Next time - promise.

It was our very great pleasure and an honor to spend time with such excellent and admirable sibs, and we know that we are the most fortunate of people.

{hugs}
ordinary hobbit and hobbitloveHeart

PS: I know my avatar is the bandshell, but I'll include this larger version and you can see that blue was best. Can't imagine why anyone would change that color. That's us in the front row.Wink

Check out
QTNA
Movie Discussions

hob
(former nick: "HobbitLoveR*M-e" among several others)

hobbitlove
Gondor

Jul 15 2008, 3:30am

Post #5 of 12 (269 views)
Shortcut
I'm so dull...'Minne'-moot! I get it! [In reply to] Can't Post

Like I said, we could have talked all night.
Gad, when I think we may have missed one another and missed such a lovely time.
We were so worried and nervous and the hubby was patrolling around the bandshell. It must have been a keystone cops kind of scene with you ducking in to wash your hands while he walked around that side of the area, then me keeping watch on my side and scanning the hill above, while you were questioning non-concert goers on the benches. I mean, really!
I didn't even know you liked G & S, though I should have, and you've been so busy lately...
Well, it was kismet and I believe it that!
Much love,
hob and oh

The hubby brought the camera to record Radhuin's first moot, and do you think we even thought about it when we got to talking?

Check out
QTNA
Movie Discussions

hob

L. Ron Halfelven
Grey Havens

Jul 15 2008, 11:56am

Post #6 of 12 (241 views)
Shortcut
Hope you got a Minnehaha out of it./ [In reply to] Can't Post

Far he journeyed in that ship, even into the starless voids; but most often was he seen at morning or at evening, glimmering in sunrise or sunset, as he came back to Valinor from voyages beyond the confines of the world.

More pictures here.

Magpie
Immortal

Jul 15 2008, 12:14pm

Post #7 of 12 (258 views)
Shortcut
Yah sure.. You betcha // [In reply to] Can't Post

Zmulady
Rohan

Jul 15 2008, 2:50pm

Post #8 of 12 (440 views)
Shortcut
Minne-moot [In reply to] Can't Post

Sounds great to me. I would love to meet some of my TORn sibs. Glad you guys had such a good time. Ahhhh, Lake Harriet in the summer, I'd forgotten too Magpie. It's been awhile since I've been there. Let me know if any Minne-moots come up. I'd for sure make the drive.

hobbitlove
Gondor

Jul 15 2008, 6:52pm

Post #9 of 12 (252 views)
Shortcut
You! [In reply to] Can't Post

Check out
QTNA
Movie Discussions

hob

Magpie
Immortal

Jul 15 2008, 10:55pm

Post #10 of 12 (252 views)
Shortcut
*waves* [In reply to] Can't Post

...we will for sure.

greendragon
Sr. Staff

Jul 18 2008, 10:11am

Post #11 of 12 (288 views)
Shortcut
I'm always so happy to read of 'sibs mooting! [In reply to] Can't Post

And I happen to know that this is a particularly fine bunch of 'sibs! But then, aren't we all?! Wink

But please - how could you NOT have had a champagne picnic?! You only have to check out Fiestas to know my personal views on that drink - as Winston Churchill said, 'When I win, I deserve it; when I lose, I need it!' One never needs an excuse for a touch of the bubbly, but getting together with 'sibs is the perfect reason for celebration! Next time, take a couple of bottles of the good stuff! Laugh

Glad you all had such fun - thanks for the reports!

'There are older and fouler things than orcs in the deep places of my fridge...'

'You never know what will happen next, when once you get mixed up with TORnsibs and their friends.'

Lossefalme
Gondor

Aug 7 2008, 5:15am

Post #12 of 12 (335 views)
Shortcut
Agreed! [In reply to] Can't Post

On all counts! I do get more than a little envious, but I'm still so happy to read about the moots happening around the world. I mean, how great is that????

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
Join us every Thursday in the Movie Discussion Forum for GOLD Nuggets, an exploration of the Geeky Observation Lists maintained by our very own grammaboodawg.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.