Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
What? No "Lost" thread? *Story Spoiler*
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

CAhobbit
Rohan

Mar 22 2007, 3:22pm

Post #1 of 30 (261 views)
Shortcut
What? No "Lost" thread? *Story Spoiler* Can't Post

Well, I certiantly enjoyed last nights ending. Especially the very end.

So just a thought:

- Locke fell 8 stories and lived? Um....yeah.

Anyone else have thoughts about the episode?

Do not meddle in the affairs of hobbits for we can bite your kneecaps off!

CAhobbit's flickr page

CAhobbit's myspace

(This post was edited by cahobbit on Mar 22 2007, 3:22pm)

Aerlinn
Lorien

Mar 22 2007, 3:47pm

Post #2 of 30 (162 views)
Shortcut
Loved it. [In reply to] Can't Post

Here's the weekly newsletter. Sorry the pictures don't come with it:

So now who's going to try and kill Locke first? Jack, who was *this* close to going home, or Juliet ditto, or one of the Others who can't leave even if Ben would let them, or Kate or Sayid when they hear about the former existence of a submarine and why it's "former"... Anyone's a candidate except maybe Ben. Born there, huh? Huh.

LOST SEASON 3 EPISODE 13: THE MAN FROM TALLAHASSEE

Title: Ben says 'Get the man from Tallahassee.' Locke asks if that is some kind of secret code.
At the end, it appears that the man from Tallahassee is Locke's father (Anthony Cooper).

1. Jack has a new tattoo on his left arm.
(Me - holy mackeral, he does! It's red and black. I need to go watch this again.)

2. When the son of Coopers next victim / wife shows up, Locke is eating from a weird little cowboy tray.
(Me - cowboy boots and lariats. Odd.)

3. Alex told Locke that Ben has a way of manipulating people. He makes people thing they are going against him, when really they are doing exactly what he wants. Locke says he would keep that in mind. In the end, he did exactly what Ben wanted.
However, Locke seemed to know this and still didn't care.

4. Ben wants to keep everyone isolated on the island, but doesn't want to be blamed for it. Locke wants to stay on the island and doesn't want
to leave. Locke blowing up the sub and the communication center seemed to help both of their causes.

5. What is the magic box? Since it is not truly a box I am guessing it is smokey. Ben used the box metaphor to insult John. Since he wouldn't understand what it really was, he put it in terms that Lock would understand. Then he used a box to explain it, which subtly insults John's intelligence since he worked in a box factory.

6. Yes, that was MacCutcheon whiskey that Cooper was pouring for Locke. The same from Desmond's flashback and the same he drank with Hurley and Charlie.

7. When Hurley was visiting his accountant, someone fell out of the window. Now we know who.

(Me - Whoa. *Whoa*)

8. The person Ben told to 'get the man from Tallahassee and the person that came in to get Locke in the end was Richard. (Mr. Mascara from the Juliet
episode.)
(Me: At least I got this one...)

9. Anthony Cooper tied to a chair in the room... best guess? Smokey. Just like smokey became Yemi (Ecko's brother), Kate's horse, Dave (Hurley's
friend), maybe Walt (when he appeared to Shannon) and Jack's father (unless that really IS Jack's father alive and well.... but that is for you to theorize about.) Anyway, I think the 'magic box' that can be whatever you imagine is smokey.
(Me: Wish I'd thought of that. Good theory.)

10. Ben seem honestly concerned that Locke has a 'communion' with the island. He tells Locke that he really has no true understanding of the island but
has a strong connection that even Ben doesn't completely understand. As Locke said... "You're in a wheelchair and I'm not."

11. Ben's fridge and house: (sorry - picture)

12. Rousseau finally saw her daughter Alex. Ben has lots of pictures of Alex on her wall.
(Me: Also, Sayid (poor Sayid) planted a seed in Alex's mind. That could grow into something interesting.)

13. Stretching the black and white theme on Lost a bit, but Ben ate all the dark meat and Locke and the white.

14. The television Locke was watching mentioned a big gold robbery in Bolivia at 2AM. You know that will come back later.

15. If Ben was so worried about looking weak if Jack and Juliet left the island, why did he let Michael and Walt go so easily?

Line of the week:
Ben: No John, we don't have a code for 'there's a man in my closet holding a gun to my daughter's head.' Although we obviously should.
(Me - I knew that would be it!)

Honorable mention:
Ben: We have two giant hamsters running on a giant wheel.

Locke: Then I hope your box is big enough to imagine up a new submarine.

Numbers:

4 - Years Locke was in a wheelchair
8 - Stories Locke fell

'I cannot read the furry letters,' said Frodo in a quavering voice.
'No,' said Gandalf, 'but I can.'

'One Ring to drool on them all, One Ring to heed them
One Ring to bring them all and remind them all to feed them
In the land of Kitchen where the litter lies.
'

My TORn archives - to be updated sooner or later

Eowyn Wannabe
The Shire

Mar 22 2007, 4:07pm

Post #3 of 30 (142 views)
Shortcut
Some good points, and some not quite so good [In reply to] Can't Post

I like the notion that Smokey is at work somehow. Could be interesting to see how this develops.

But I disagree that it was Locke that Hurley saw falling. I'm not really clear on southern California housing, but would Locke's dad have an apartment in the same building as an accounting office? I know there's multiuse development and all, but that building's exterior didn't seem the kind to have both housing and office space.

How did Jack get a new tattoo in just a few days with the Others? Wouldn't it still be rather raw? Looked like a rose to me, from the glimpse I got.

Robbery in Bolivia -- Butch and Sundance survived the shootout? Wink

Why would Locke blow up the sub? If he wants to stay, he can stay. Nobody's gonna force him to leave. So why would he feel it necessary to keep everyone else stranded there, too? Connection or no connection with the island, I don't get Locke.

Magpie
Immortal

Mar 22 2007, 4:45pm

Post #4 of 30 (139 views)
Shortcut
tat [In reply to] Can't Post

Folks at the Fuselage are saying that Jack / Matthew has had that tattoo the whole time. I can't confirm or deny... I just skim the stuff these days.

Ginger
Lorien

Mar 22 2007, 5:26pm

Post #5 of 30 (127 views)
Shortcut
I mostly loved it [In reply to] Can't Post

I guess I want a "reasonable" explanation for things. I accept that the island can heal people. But I couldn't come up with a reasonable explanation for Locke's Dad being there. Now that you say it's smokey, I find that reasonable. So now the 58 minutes of the show I loved, can be 60.

I thought maybe Kate's horse was the horse the Russian guy had.

I thought Jack's tattoo was different. Have we really not seen that part of his arm before?

Was the guy wheeling Ben at the end of the episode the same guy who "recruited" Juliette? I thought he was the actor from Suddenly Susan.

I love the lines of the week.

And why am I becoming more attracted to Locke, when he's obviously not playing with a full deck? I guess I need to go check out some pictures of Sayid.

ABC should learn how much better this show is when it's on consistently. They never should have taken the long break.

*note to self*
Learn new boards. "Sticky" is not an admonishment to a tornsib named Sticky.

Shelobs_Sneak
Rivendell

Mar 22 2007, 5:30pm

Post #6 of 30 (124 views)
Shortcut
Locke's Logic. [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't get him either. No one was forcing him to stay. but i think that he understands that this island has something speacil to offer and i guess he wants other castaways to appreciate that as well. I guess he wants them to stay until they can benefit like he did.
Another thing that i was unsure of at first was that if he wanted to get rid of the sub he could've just let Jack take it away and never come back. But i guess that he probably didn't believe Ben about Jack leaving in an hour and was surprised when Jack did show up.

(This post was edited by Shelobs_Sneak on Mar 22 2007, 5:32pm)

Shelobs_Sneak
Rivendell

Mar 22 2007, 5:37pm

Post #7 of 30 (122 views)
Shortcut
The Long break. [In reply to] Can't Post

They're thinking about taking away the long break next year. That would mean more repeats like season 2. I would rather have the long break than having reapeats beak up the pace.
Why can't they just start like 24 with 4 new hours on the premiere night and then new episodes every week. Frown

Foe
Lorien

Mar 22 2007, 5:50pm

Post #8 of 30 (114 views)
Shortcut
Since we are on the topic of Island [In reply to] Can't Post

Healing, where are Rose and Bernard????????

Email Foe!

Foe's LiveJournal!

Foe's Myspace!

YIM, AIM, MSN= foehelm

(This post was edited by Foe on Mar 22 2007, 5:50pm)

Foe
Lorien

Mar 22 2007, 5:52pm

Post #9 of 30 (113 views)
Shortcut
Agreed [In reply to] Can't Post

I'd wait a longer amount of time for Lost to come on (just like 24) in order to get a full season with no breaks.

Email Foe!

Foe's LiveJournal!

Foe's Myspace!

YIM, AIM, MSN= foehelm

Morwen
Rohan

Mar 22 2007, 5:54pm

Post #10 of 30 (112 views)
Shortcut
Locke's losing it. [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm afraid Locke is getting loonier every episode. I think he blew up the sub because he likes the leadership role he's assumed among the survivors. I doubt other people ever looked to him for help or advice before the crash. He could choose to stay on the island if the others were rescued, but if he was alone there he would no longer have anybody to look up to him. However, I don't know how he thinks he can maintain his status when the rest of the survivors find out he blew up their one hope of getting home. That was a very selfish thing to do. Locke's always been obsessive and single minded about acheiving goals, but I don't think he was that selfish back at the beginning of the series. Somehow I don't think the other survivors will feel like they can trust him anymore.

I never noticed that red and black tattoo on Jack before, either.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

I wish you could have been there
When she opened up the door
And looked me in the face
Like she never did before
I felt about as welcome
As a Wal-Mart Superstore--John Prine

CAhobbit
Rohan

Mar 22 2007, 6:30pm

Post #11 of 30 (107 views)
Shortcut
I agree 100%! [In reply to] Can't Post

More shows should go the '24' route (I've been saying that for a long time now). 'Lost' is a perfect contender.

CAhobbit's flickr page

CAhobbit's myspace

CAhobbit
Rohan

Mar 22 2007, 6:42pm

Post #12 of 30 (103 views)
Shortcut
Does he... [In reply to] Can't Post

have a leadership status? He seems much more like a loner in many respects and seems much more self motivated/interested in his actions on the island. Opening the hatch was for his own benefit really (he thought there was much more to it then what it actually was). Letting the numbers count down to 'domesday' and blowing up the sub were all self motivated again. I think he's even become a bit arrogant (he seems to think he has a bigger connection and understanding to the island then anyone else).

It all boils down to that Locke has become loony toons though. Laugh

CAhobbit's flickr page

CAhobbit's myspace

Morwen
Rohan

Mar 22 2007, 6:56pm

Post #13 of 30 (101 views)
Shortcut
I think he crossed a line when he let the numbers count down. [In reply to] Can't Post

I suppose he always was a bit unbalanced.

I think he thought opening the hatch would be beneficial to everybody, although I do agree that he expected to find more than he did. He is a loner, but in the beginning his fellow survivors did seem to admire his skill with a knife and his ability to find food. He built the cradle for Claire's baby and helped Charlie deal with his addiction. Back in the beginning, he was the one that convinced Jack that the button needed to be pushed every time the numbers counted down, and he was right. He had a lot of faith in the island, but when he found the hidden TV cameras, and came to believe that pushing the button was simply an experiment, I think something snapped.

Maybe there's a fine line between acting on faith and acting irrationally.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

I wish you could have been there
When she opened up the door
And looked me in the face
Like she never did before
I felt about as welcome
As a Wal-Mart Superstore--John Prine

Aerlinn
Lorien

Mar 22 2007, 7:17pm

Post #14 of 30 (106 views)
Shortcut
Thinking about it after, I agree [In reply to] Can't Post

It wasn't Locke Hurley saw falling; I want to go watch that episode again, but I thought there was a pretty clear shot of the person as he went by the window. Or not. But you're right - I doubt an accountant's office would be in an apartment building... though wasn't there office space as well as living space in the World Trade Center? Different coasts and whatnot...

I thought of Butch and Sundance too. :)

'I cannot read the furry letters,' said Frodo in a quavering voice.
'No,' said Gandalf, 'but I can.'

'One Ring to drool on them all, One Ring to heed them
One Ring to bring them all and remind them all to feed them
In the land of Kitchen where the litter lies.
'

My TORn archives - to be updated sooner or later

JRandomRohirrim
Rohan

Mar 22 2007, 7:34pm

Post #15 of 30 (110 views)
Shortcut
"Monsters from the Id..." [In reply to] Can't Post

Back at the Worldcon in 2005, I was on a panel discussing Lost. Even though the Worldcon was in
Scotland and the show hadn't started in the UK yet, we had nearly 300 people in the room, and a surprising number of SF writers in the audience.

A bunch of us decided that the "black smoke," "dinosaur," "polar bear," (other weird things from the first season) were generated based on the wishes/fears of the survivors. Kind of like the "monster from the Id" in Forbidden Planet.

Up until the last episode, most of the people visions were probably just visions (notably Hurley's friend). Most of the times, only one survivor ever saw "the person." However, the one "person vision" which was seen by multiple people was Walt in the rain - Shannon, and then, finally, Sayid saw him (just before Shannon was shot). It's possible that Ana-Lucia also saw him that night.

Now, with the appearance of Locke's "father," this is a bit different. Is it the "real person" or some kind of duplicate? Does "the box" transport something or copy something?

Boycott New Line!
http://www.boycottnewline.com

Aerin
Grey Havens

Mar 22 2007, 7:50pm

Post #16 of 30 (100 views)
Shortcut
Re no. 15 [In reply to] Can't Post

15. If Ben was so worried about looking weak if Jack and Juliet left the island, why did he let Michael and Walt go so easily?

The issue is letting his followers (members of the community) leave; Michael and Walt were captured and used for a specific purpose, and letting them leave could be seen as part of Ben's plan. But letting Juliet leave would be quite a different matter.

Oddly, Ben has become one of my favorite characters on the show (both the way the character is written and the acting).

Menelwyn
Rohan

Mar 22 2007, 8:36pm

Post #17 of 30 (116 views)
Shortcut
My weird theory du jour [In reply to] Can't Post

I could be completely off base with this--need to review some stuff from Season 1. But this just popped into my head last night.

Locke's father is a con artist, and apparently a fairly skilled one. Sawyer's parents were conned by some skilled con artist (the real Sawyer, who James Ford wants to kill). Could Locke's father be that con artist? The age works out ok as far as I can tell.

YodatheHobbit
Rivendell

Mar 22 2007, 8:45pm

Post #18 of 30 (86 views)
Shortcut
Blowing up the [In reply to] Can't Post

sub isn't much different than knocking Sayid out and destroying his equipment he was using to find the source of Danielle's distress call in the begining of the first season. He think's that all of them have a purpose and a reason to be on the island and he doesn't want anyone wiggling their way off the island and abandoning that purpose by leaving.I dont think he wants anyone else coming to the island on purpose.

The plane crashed on the island. Locke believes it was fate that caused that. I think, that he thinks, only people who came to the island unwillingly without human assistance should be allowed to live there. Otherwise like he told Ben, "you're cheating". So yes, he's pretty loony. I dont think he's gotten loonier though.

When the seas and mountains fall and we come to end of days, in the dark I hear your call calling me there, i will go there and back again.

(This post was edited by YodatheHobbit on Mar 22 2007, 8:46pm)

Eowyn Wannabe
The Shire

Mar 22 2007, 9:24pm

Post #19 of 30 (85 views)
Shortcut
Points up [In reply to] Can't Post

Obviously you and I are in tune on this!

bejeweled_1
The Shire

Mar 22 2007, 9:26pm

Post #20 of 30 (77 views)
Shortcut
Jack's father appeared on the island in season 1 [In reply to] Can't Post

Remember that only Jack saw him, and that's what led him to the water source.

bejeweled_1
The Shire

Mar 22 2007, 9:28pm

Post #21 of 30 (94 views)
Shortcut
Jack's tattoo [In reply to] Can't Post

Isn't that the tattoo Jack got in Asia from the "call girl"?

bejeweled_1
The Shire

Mar 22 2007, 9:31pm

Post #22 of 30 (73 views)
Shortcut
Probable [In reply to] Can't Post

It would seal a connection between Locke and Sawyer.

elvenhobbit
Rohan

Mar 22 2007, 9:39pm

Post #23 of 30 (69 views)
Shortcut
waiting for mid summer for the dvd! [In reply to] Can't Post

Elven by name, Hobbit by nature

'Road lead ever on and on
down from the door where it began
now far ahead the road has gone
down from where all began' -FOTR-

and through all the world has changed
the ages come and go with time
and yet those remain unchanged
unto they journey westward
over the sea...

Entwife Wandlimb
Lorien

Mar 22 2007, 10:17pm

Post #24 of 30 (75 views)
Shortcut
The island IS The Box? [In reply to] Can't Post

There's something going on about crossing the boundaries of time and space with the island. I wonder if Walt left the island with his father simply because he wished it and wasn't "cheating." I miss Rose, too, but I wonder if she is the reason George lived -- she wished it.

Remember how Walt and Juliette both had thier wishes realized before they came to the island? Was that the island drawing them to itself?

Scout
Rivendell

Mar 23 2007, 12:14am

Post #25 of 30 (67 views)
Shortcut
Different location [In reply to] Can't Post

The new tattoo is on the under side of his arm. The old one was on the outside.

At least tha's what I saw.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.