The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
Ian McKellen's King Lear to Be Shown on TV, DVD

Magpie
Immortal

Jul 13 2008, 3:29pm

Post #1 of 4 (1701 views)
Shortcut
Ian McKellen's King Lear to Be Shown on TV, DVD Can't Post

Did you miss Ian McKellen in last year's King Lear performances?

From Theater Mania:

The RSC's recent production of William Shakespeare's King Lear, directed by Trevor Nunn and with Ian McKellen in the title role, is being filmed for HD TV. It will be broadcast on England's BBC Channel 4 in December, as well as being broadcast on PBS in the autumn and a number of other TV stations internationally, including NHK Japan. Plans are also in the works to make the tape available on worldwide DVD.

It's not clear, at the moment, if the on-stage nude scene will be included in the broadcast.

magpie avatar gallery ~ soundtrack website ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Eruwestial37
Rohan

Jul 13 2008, 10:00pm

Post #2 of 4 (1165 views)
Shortcut
It better be! [In reply to] Can't Post

They made a fuss about it during rehearsals and I get the feeling Sir Ian really wanted it in there.
I was one who desperately tried to go see him in Lear, but the season ticket holders bought up all the tickets in the days before they went on sale to the public. This was in Minneapolis. I'm in SE Wisconsin. Long trip, but worth it to see him on stage.

I dearly hope they have this on dvd in the US. As I'm not a Blu Ray owner <yet> I do hope it's also available on regular DVD.

Thanks for bringing this to us, Magpie!

Eruwestial
The Naughty Little Elf

Elizabeth
Half-elven

Jul 14 2008, 7:30am

Post #3 of 4 (1145 views)
Shortcut
Wow, that's really good news! [In reply to] Can't Post

I really wanted to see that performance.

Sunset, July 3, 2008

Elizabeth is the TORnsib formerly known as 'erather'

Jazmine
Tol Eressea

Jul 14 2008, 5:22pm

Post #4 of 4 (1200 views)
Shortcut
I saw it [In reply to] Can't Post

at the RSC in Stratford, it was absolutely amazing. My favourite RSC performance yet. Am glad they are doing this for TV, I'd love to see it again!

*Jazminatar the Brown*

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.