Mythcon 39 -- Aug. 15-18 -- New Britain, CT
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Aug 18 2008, 2:15pm

Post #51 of 70 (9516 views)
Shortcut
Did he win it??? [In reply to] Can't Post

Whether or no - NEB's got to post his entry!

And yes, who'd have thought visualweasel and drogo were such "in-charge" guys - the things one learns about the talents of TORnfolk!

Cool

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

"It struck me last night that you might write a fearfully good romantic drama, with as much of the 'supernatural' as you cared to introduce. Have you ever thought of it?"
-Geoffrey B. Smith, letter to JRR Tolkien, 1915

Jazmine
Tol Eressea

Aug 18 2008, 8:18pm

Post #52 of 70 (9309 views)
Shortcut
Just out of interest [In reply to] Can't Post

What's the Ted Nasmith CD called? Am wondering if it's the same one I picked up at one of his exhibitions.

*Jazminatar the Brown*

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Aug 18 2008, 11:43pm

Post #53 of 70 (9444 views)
Shortcut
"The Hidden Door" [In reply to] Can't Post

"Songs in the key of enchantment"; I think it's the only one he's put out!

I wasn't there Saturday, so I missed out on his jamming with his guitar. Frown

"It struck me last night that you might write a fearfully good romantic drama, with as much of the 'supernatural' as you cared to introduce. Have you ever thought of it?"

a.s.
Valinor

Aug 19 2008, 1:38am

Post #54 of 70 (9368 views)
Shortcut
oh yes!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Sorry I didn't make that clear, but yes, NEB did win the "during Tolkien" portion of the Clerihew contest, and got a big laugh and applause! You're right, he has to post it.

Cool

a.s.

"an seileachan"

Pooh began to feel a little more comfortable, because when you are a Bear of Very Little Brain, and you Think of Things, you find sometimes that a Thing which seemed very Thingish inside you is quite different when it gets out into the open and has other people looking at it.

Jazmine
Tol Eressea

Aug 19 2008, 7:45pm

Post #55 of 70 (9324 views)
Shortcut
Yeah [In reply to] Can't Post

That's the one. Was just checking it wasn't a new one I'd missed! Smile

*Jazminatar the Brown*

visualweasel
Rohan

Aug 20 2008, 5:47pm

Post #56 of 70 (9315 views)
Shortcut
What do NEB and Chevy Chase have in common? [In reply to] Can't Post

They’re both masters of the pratfall. I wanted to get a picture of it, but he was much too quick. His clerihew was quite good too; though he had warned us it wasn’t, he was just being modest. Did you get invisibly drunk on your prize of an inivisible bottle of champagne, NEB?

Jason Fisher
Lingwë - Musings of a Fish

The Lord of the Rings discussion 2007-2008 – The Two Towers – III.4 “Treebeard” – Part 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

visualweasel
Rohan

Aug 20 2008, 5:56pm

Post #57 of 70 (9300 views)
Shortcut
The happy-face Nazgűl [In reply to] Can't Post

I’ll be writing up a detailed conference report in the next day or two (and I'll post a link to it here), but as to the happy-face Nazgűl, I had made the observation that one early explanation of the word wraith (in John Jamieson’s Etymological Dictionary of the Scottish Language) was a “guardian angel”, and to prove (as if it needed proving) that this wouldn’t have worked very well for Tolkien, I popped this up on my powerpoint slideshow:

Not very scary, but perhaps more disturbing. It was good for a laugh — as I’d intended. Tongue

Maybe I should make this my new avatar.

Jason Fisher

The Lord of the Rings discussion 2007-2008 – The Two Towers – III.4 “Treebeard” – Part 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

(This post was edited by visualweasel on Aug 20 2008, 7:02pm)

visualweasel
Rohan

Aug 20 2008, 7:02pm

Post #58 of 70 (9270 views)
Shortcut
Mr. Bill as Valkyrie [In reply to] Can't Post

Hopefully visualweasel will post the pic of whatever was on that one plate that he took a picture of, it looked like Mr. Bill to me...

It looked like Mr. Bill to me, too — or maybe a cross-dressing Mr. Bill, because it was supposed to be a Valkyrie, in line with the conference theme. Here's the picture I took:

Jason Fisher

WonderBroad
Lorien

Aug 21 2008, 12:21am

Post #59 of 70 (9365 views)
Shortcut
Food sculpture! [In reply to] Can't Post

A fine tradition continues. Mythcon food sculpture rules!

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Aug 21 2008, 3:11am

Post #60 of 70 (9246 views)
Shortcut
There he is, the cute fella! [In reply to] Can't Post

I can hear him thinking "Ooo, pretty please may I have that shiny Ring before I stick you with this cute little knife?"

Yep, wouldn't work. But that powerpoint did, very well, thank you! It does help to be able to see the various possible root words. Do you know if anyone else used powerpoint during their talk?

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Aug 21 2008, 3:14am

Post #61 of 70 (9230 views)
Shortcut
Hi there! [In reply to] Can't Post

I can't recall if we actually met there. Do you go often to these, and didn't you make a presentation at a past Mythcon?

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Aug 21 2008, 3:16am

Post #62 of 70 (9367 views)
Shortcut
That's one...um...wicked-looking Valkyrie... [In reply to] Can't Post

Amazing what some were able to do, with the variety of food and a bit of imagination! Well, a great bit of imagination.

That pic came out well!

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Aug 21 2008, 3:53am

Post #63 of 70 (9385 views)
Shortcut
Leslie Donovan also used Powerpoint. [In reply to] Can't Post

For her paper, "Brightly Shining and Armed for Battle: The Valkyrie Legacy in Tolkien's Middle-earth Fiction", a study of valkyrie imagery in The Silmarillion.

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
We're discussing The Lord of the Rings in the Reading Room, Oct. 15, 2007 - Mar. 22, 2009!

Join us Aug. 18-24 for "Shelob's Lair".

+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=
How to find old Reading Room discussions.

a.s.
Valinor

Aug 21 2008, 11:32am

Post #64 of 70 (9501 views)
Shortcut
pictures! [In reply to] Can't Post

I have a few pictures I took with my phone (what a 21st century thing to say!!) I forgot to pack my real camera.

This is dernwyn and drogo going into the banquet hall where they got to play with their food in the interest of Mythcon tradition:

This is dernwyn and NEB waiting to listen to one of visualweasel's talks, this one a panel discussion with other eminent scholars (and a good job he did moderating, it must be said!!):

This is drogo late in the evening in the Hospitality Suite, where people just hang out after the day's events are mostly over (you can't send Mythies to bed early, it seems!):

And this is NEB in the Hospitality Suite, too, just hanging out with fellow Mythies including one with a camera phone! :

I'm sure there are better pictures, but this is what I have!

Cool

I plan to send a more detailed report to the RR...when I can. I was sort of hoping NEB would start and I would just comment.

LOL

a.s.

"an seileachan"

Pooh began to feel a little more comfortable, because when you are a Bear of Very Little Brain, and you Think of Things, you find sometimes that a Thing which seemed very Thingish inside you is quite different when it gets out into the open and has other people looking at it.

visualweasel
Rohan

Aug 21 2008, 1:50pm

Post #65 of 70 (9232 views)
Shortcut
So did Kris Larsen. // [In reply to] Can't Post

Jason Fisher

visualweasel
Rohan

Aug 21 2008, 1:50pm

Post #66 of 70 (9235 views)
Shortcut
Those are pretty good for a cell phone! Thanks for sharing. // [In reply to] Can't Post

Jason Fisher

visualweasel
Rohan

Aug 21 2008, 3:39pm

Post #67 of 70 (9241 views)
Shortcut
Mythcon 39 conference report [In reply to] Can't Post

Okay, it's finally online: my long (3000-word) conference report. Just head over to my blog, Lingwë – Musings of a Fish, and read all about it! There are a few photos too. Wink

Jason Fisher

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Aug 21 2008, 3:57pm

Post #68 of 70 (9239 views)
Shortcut
As shown in your report, I see. // [In reply to] Can't Post

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
We're discussing The Lord of the Rings in the Reading Room, Oct. 15, 2007 - Mar. 22, 2009!

Join us Aug. 18-24 for "Shelob's Lair".

+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=
How to find old Reading Room discussions.

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Aug 22 2008, 12:41am

Post #69 of 70 (9214 views)
Shortcut
It's too short. [In reply to] Can't Post

Wink

Thank you for this; it gave me a chance to check out the excellent presentations I'd missed! There is a lot of good stuff at these conventions.

BTW, is there any particular reason why your "trilemma" link goes to the Isle of Lewis? Not that I'm averse to reading about that fascinating place's history again, but I don't think C.S. ever lived there...

visualweasel
Rohan

Aug 22 2008, 3:00pm

Post #70 of 70 (9356 views)
Shortcut
Try that link again [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for calling this to my attention. Sometimes Blogger cuts off links after special characters. In this case, the link was to "Lewis's trilemma", and it cut off everything after the apostrophe. I think it's fixed now, and the Wikipedia entry gives a good summary of the argument. I'm glad you enjoyed all the rest of the report too.

Too short, eh? You must have a lot of free time. Wink

Jason Fisher

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.