Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Lord of the Rings:
Did You Ever Notice... Boromir's Costume?
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Magpie
Immortal

Jul 12 2008, 8:47pm

Post #26 of 42 (2416 views)
Shortcut
It's also good to keep in mind... [In reply to] Can't Post

...that the image you linked to in Lorien was from a very early shoot. Legolas had a different outfit and Gimli was outfitted/made up a little differently. So, this wound could be from a event that was eventually discarded like Orcs following the Fellowship into Lorien and engaging in battle.

magpie avatar gallery ~ soundtrack website ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

diedye
Grey Havens

Jul 12 2008, 9:08pm

Post #27 of 42 (2458 views)
Shortcut
There's a costume?... [In reply to] Can't Post

Funny, I never can seem to see past that tall, blonde, extremely handsome model...

Oh... sorry...

Actually, I had noticed the costume... it's my favorite of the male characters.

Nice pics... it gives me a hankering to re-visit a special page on Reera the Red's site that has bucketloads of pics of Boromir's costume....

There are five things that I'd love to get my hands on... okay, SIX, but that one's not for public knowledge...*ahem*...

I would love to have Boromir's cloak, tunic, vambraces, shield, and most of all, his horn... it is sooooo beautiful! I was really hoping WETA would have released a life-sized replica of the horn. I would have begged and blackmailed anyone and everyone to get one.

What could have been...

diedye
Grey Havens

Jul 12 2008, 9:10pm

Post #28 of 42 (2427 views)
Shortcut
*grumble grumble* [In reply to] Can't Post

Oh I noticed... and I replied way earlier, but my reply for some reason didn't get posted.

*grumble grumble*I seriously think TORn's trying to give me some not-so-suble hints*grumble grumble*

Magpie
Immortal

Jul 12 2008, 10:11pm

Post #29 of 42 (2388 views)
Shortcut
That's a great link, diedye. Thanks. // [In reply to] Can't Post

Arwen's daughter
Half-elven

Jul 12 2008, 10:25pm

Post #30 of 42 (2390 views)
Shortcut
Oh wow! [In reply to] Can't Post

That's a fabulously useful page. She has the EE costume shots for most of the characters! I didn't think anyone had all of these online. Thank you.

My LiveJournal
My Costuming Site
TORn's Costume Discussions Archive
July Screencap of the Day Schedule

Starling
Half-elven

Jul 12 2008, 10:26pm

Post #31 of 42 (2391 views)
Shortcut
Thanks [In reply to] Can't Post

For the best laugh I have had in ages. Those smilies definitely had me *ROFL*Laugh

Goldberry of the river
Lorien

Jul 14 2008, 7:58am

Post #32 of 42 (2441 views)
Shortcut
Legolas's different costume [In reply to] Can't Post

So what were we meant to think had happened to Legolas's outfit in between meeting Haldir and then up on the flets? Had he changed out of his sweaty tunic and put on something else so that some elf maidens could wash in the river for him? Wink Or are we just not supposed to notice? I did straight away when I watched it. It's not so noticable with Gimli because it just looks like he's taken his helmet off.

Brian Blessed for Thorin!

Gondorian_Ranger
Rivendell

Jul 14 2008, 2:39pm

Post #33 of 42 (2369 views)
Shortcut
Well done, Weta! [In reply to] Can't Post

The team did a great job with all the little details they put into the costumes! Bernard Hill who played Théoden said that he actually felt like a king the first time he wore his breast-plate as they had actually put designs on it's inside. They would never be on-screen but they'd put them on anyway just to make the piece more authentic...I always thought that was great. I'm not sure if it was the same departments as Théoden's was plate armour but nontheless, they had some great people working on the armour and costumes in this trilogy Smile

"The city of Osgiliath has been reclaimed, FOR GONDOR!"

Arwen's daughter
Half-elven

Jul 14 2008, 3:06pm

Post #34 of 42 (2378 views)
Shortcut
Well [In reply to] Can't Post

To my mind, this is the only "unfinished" scene they reincluded in the EE. Legolas' costume is, of course, one of the last designs the costume department tried before they found the final version. I imagine when they put it back in they were hoping we wouldn't notice Wink Which never seems to work with this crowd!

My LiveJournal
My Costuming Site

Arwen's daughter
Half-elven

Jul 14 2008, 3:11pm

Post #35 of 42 (2387 views)
Shortcut
Weta did the armor but not the costumes [In reply to] Can't Post

WETA designed and built the armor pieces throughout the films. Ngila Dickson and her costume team made the rest of the costumes. All 15,000 of them! The two were completely seperate departments, though they worked together when they needed to.

My LiveJournal
My Costuming Site

Peredhil lover
Valinor

Jul 14 2008, 3:22pm

Post #36 of 42 (2372 views)
Shortcut
The non-fan moviegoer [In reply to] Can't Post

would probably not notice such little details - but you're right, there's absolutely no way that no one at TORn will notice any mistakes. And even if one or two overlook something, then there are at least twenty others to tell them Wink

Love your new footer, btw Laugh

I do not suffer from LotR obsession - I enjoy every minute of it.

Arwen's daughter
Half-elven

Jul 14 2008, 3:36pm

Post #37 of 42 (2347 views)
Shortcut
Thanks! [In reply to] Can't Post

Elijah in pink seemed the only reasonable response to last week's drama! Cool

My LiveJournal
My Costuming Site

Patty
Immortal

Jul 14 2008, 4:26pm

Post #38 of 42 (2363 views)
Shortcut
"Elijah in pink seemed the only reasonable response to last week's drama!" [In reply to] Can't Post

which I enjoyed so much. Best laugh in years.

As for the differing Legolas costumes--wasn't this mentioned in the commentary, that they wanted to include the scene for its content, even though there was a discrepancy in the costumes? I may be misremembering--just means it's time to watch the EEs again. I'm trying to wait for the high def versions, though.

Hanging out with the Lonely Isle elves.

Magpie
Immortal

Jul 14 2008, 4:52pm

Post #39 of 42 (2340 views)
Shortcut
That's my impression [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
As for the differing Legolas costumes--wasn't this mentioned in the commentary, that they wanted to include the scene for its content, even though there was a discrepancy in the costumes?

I don't think anyone would hold out much hope someone wouldn't notice. I think they just decided they would forego (the quest for) perfection to allow us a chance to see the scene. I'm grateful for that.

I think this happened frequently throughout the movies and get a little tiredly annoyed at people (no one here, really) who want to make a big deal out of 'glaring mistakes they had no clue they were making'. I think they were faced with many scenes that weren't completely consistent or perfect but sometimes you got to go with what you have. As someone who constantly strives for perfection and never reaches it, I tend to cut people a bit of slack about this. I suspect most people who are sanctimonious about it have never worked tirelessly on a project and, in the end, had to just let it go for whatever reason. (Deadlines being the most insistent.)

I always love this quote by Howard Shore:
Peter says the movie is finished only when they take it away. The movie’s never finished. There’s just a point when they take it away, meaning that there has to be an end. You know, the studio says, “It must stop now. You know, you must stop working on this.” And that’s the way we all feel. There is that sort of delivery date, that goal, that moment when they say, “It must stop.” But you work so full on, and so completely dedicated to it to create it.

Gondorian_Ranger
Rivendell

Jul 15 2008, 3:37am

Post #40 of 42 (2532 views)
Shortcut
You're right, [In reply to] Can't Post

Ok, thanks for filling me in, Arwen's Daughter. I thought they had a seperate department for costumes within weta.

"The city of Osgiliath has been reclaimed, FOR GONDOR!"
Photobucket

(This post was edited by Gondorian_Ranger on Jul 15 2008, 3:39am)

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jul 15 2008, 2:53pm

Post #41 of 42 (2349 views)
Shortcut
*gasp* Wonderful! [In reply to] Can't Post

Boromir's costume is incredibly perfect as a reflection of the country, their history, his nobility and his warrior elegance. These are fantastic pictures! The detail of his buckles, embroidery and engraving is staggering! I can never get over the utter beauty of all of these costumes; but his, for some reason, has a life all its own. I'll see if I can find my pics from the LotR museum exhibit, but his gauntlets, shield and boots show the mud and wear from this picture.

The layers of each of these costumes must have been such an encumberance or very hot to wear at times... but the appearance and life it gives to the characters is so worth it.

This is wonderful! Thank you so much!

sample

"Barney Snow was here." ~Hug like a hobbit!~ "In my heaven..."

TORn's Observations Lists

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jul 15 2008, 2:53pm

Post #42 of 42 (2353 views)
Shortcut
*kerplunk* Outstanding!!! // [In reply to] Can't Post

sample

"Barney Snow was here." ~Hug like a hobbit!~ "In my heaven..."

TORn's Observations Lists

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.