The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Guillermo Interview in Rotten Tomatoes

Empedocles
Rivendell

Jul 11 2008, 2:37pm

Post #1 of 9 (1542 views)
Shortcut
Guillermo Interview in Rotten Tomatoes Can't Post

It's a 12-part video interview that Rotten Tomatoes has divided in several parts and they post 3 parts per day. So, you might want to bookmark it. I know that some of you are no interested in hearing the same answers or variations of the same answers again and again but well, this is for the ones that are interested. I can't help but watch or read anything GDT has to say, it's like a disease already. So, here it goes. He does touch upon some things that I haven't heard before in any of the previous interviews. He mentions that the goblin's raid might be expanded (although I don't know if I catched the word "raid" right or if it's only my mind wishing he would say that), he talks about the difference between Bilbo using the ring and Frodo using the ring, and he also addresses the talking animals thing (which gives me a little bit of hope).

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/...the_movies_interview

Please, give us back Glorfindel!!!

Compa_Mighty
Tol Eressea

Jul 11 2008, 4:44pm

Post #2 of 9 (1013 views)
Shortcut
Thanks Empedocles! [In reply to] Can't Post

Part 5, as you say is particularly interesting. You should all watch at least part 5.

As you said, I was relieved to hear about the animals, which is, in some way, what I always said here: there's a difference between talking animals, and animals that are understood by people. That made me really happy! Smile

Changing the display of powers of the Ring is not only correct according to the book, but mythologically as well, I believe, it seems as if the Ring is not "fully awake" in The Hobbit, or Sauron isn't fully aware of its whereabouts, so there's no reason why it should be as spooky or other worldly as it was in the Trilogy.

It seems Guillermo manages to startle us a bit with one interview and in the next one he manages to reassure us that everything's going to be just fine.

Fun bit about the possibility of having it a long, 2 part movie... but I don't think we are meant to dwell on that.

Here's to Del Toro becoming the Irvin Kershner of Middle Earth!

Essay winner of the Show us your Hobbit Pride Giveway!

StillCrazy
Bree

Jul 11 2008, 4:50pm

Post #3 of 9 (967 views)
Shortcut
Was on there earlier [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks Compa

I sort of gave up after the second one. I will go back now and listen closer.

All the worlds a stage.

Empedocles
Rivendell

Jul 11 2008, 4:52pm

Post #4 of 9 (1001 views)
Shortcut
Yep [In reply to] Can't Post

Part 4, 5 and 6 are really interesting. Does anyone one know who that princess is? I mean the one he names when comparing the "talking animals" with the "animals that can be understood".

Rosie-with-the-ribbons
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 12 2008, 2:54pm

Post #5 of 9 (977 views)
Shortcut
Princess Mononoko [In reply to] Can't Post

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0119698/
Here you can find information on the movie. I haven't seen it myself, but I think GdT is referring to this movie.

Thanks for the info on the interviews nice to watch and get some more information on the director and his vision!

Sunflower
Valinor

Jul 14 2008, 3:58am

Post #6 of 9 (891 views)
Shortcut
Princess Mononoke [In reply to] Can't Post

(Mononoke Hibe)

If you haven't seen it, you should. The animated films of Hayao Miazaki are works of pure genius. Raw, passionate, memorable, beautiful. One of them, "Spirited Away", beat a Disney film for the Best Animated Film Oscar couple years back. It's been called a modern-day Japanese variation on Alice In Wonderland, and it is. Several of the "spirit" characters directly influenced Pan's Labyrinth. The giant Toad in the tree could come right out of the "bath-house" scene, and the destruction of the Toad echoes the spectacular demise of a Miazaki character.

I can't say which is the better of the 2 films, though. Princess Mononoke is loosely based on a Japanese legend about one of the princes of the old Natives of Japan who left his homeland in search of wisdom and healing after battling a forest demon. The rampaging Elemental from Hellboy 2 was directly inspired by its much gentler cousin, in Princess Mononoke.. I won't get into the plot, but the Princess is a human girl who was raised by Moro, the giant wolf Goddess of the Forest, and her two daughters. Mononoke "runs with the wolves", she is still seen as a daughter by them.

With regard to voices, Miazaki leaves this wonderfully ambiguous. There is a scene where Moro meets the Prince, and speaks with him. It's hard to describe the voice, but if you've seen Hellboy 2 and Doug Jones's voice as the Angel of Death, it might give you some idea. The "voice" of Moro is a woman's voice in the foreground, but you can hear underneath it the growling of a wolf; so you understand that the Prince hears a wolf growling, but he understands it--in his mind it comes out in Japanese (or of course English, in the dubbed version. Disney did a really good job with the dubbing, but it's still best to get the DVD and play the Japanese version with the subtitles.) Other times in the film, the humans speak with the Boars of the forest, and you hear words, but underneath it, almost as loud, a boar squeal. It's like 2 voices coming from the character at the same time, but with the English slightly louder.

In HB2, Del Toro takes this method up a notch by having the Angel be an androgynous figure, neither male not female. In the foreground you hear Jones's voice (he really is coming into his own as a voice actor, GREAT voice here) and back of this, 2 seperate female voices. So I imagine that, say, the Spiders would be rendered much as Moro or the Angel was.

If Del Toro is going to be using the "Princess Mononoke" method to be rendering the animal voices, it would work spectacularly. Not the least is that it would up the "magic" ante in GDT's Middle-earth--in the world of Miazaki's ancient Japan, where Humans interacted with very real gods and demons, and spoke with them, the two races understand each other, and relations are wonderfully ambiguous. Because this is supposed to be a time lost in mystery and legend, you take it for granted that humans can speak to, and be spoken to by, gods and spirits. So in Middle-earth, animals can speak to people, and since all races share the Common Speech, even the creatures with Reason can be understood too.

In fact, a viewing of Princess Mononoke should now be in order!

Empedocles
Rivendell

Jul 15 2008, 2:08am

Post #7 of 9 (850 views)
Shortcut
Wow [In reply to] Can't Post

Thank you so much for taking the time to answer me with so much detail. I'll certainly try to catch that movie somewhere. I'm not a very big fan of anime (I actually kind of dislike it) but I got to admit that the story sounds really interesting.

Thanks again. I haven't seen Hellboy II yet because the South America release date is in September, which is ridiculous, but I'm eagerly waiting for it.

Sunflower
Valinor

Jul 15 2008, 5:24am

Post #8 of 9 (994 views)
Shortcut
No problem! [In reply to] Can't Post

Wow, the SA release date is *September*? What is Universal thinking?? Where are you in SA anyway?

I don't like anime either, but I decided to look up Princess Mononoke on word of mouth alone. It was the top film in Japan for 2 yrs running, when it was released (2004 I think), and it beat the domestic box office of Titanic there.

Hayao Miazaki' has become famous for producing animated films of staggering beauty and power. Princess Mononoke and its 2005 followup, "Spirited Away", which won the Oscar, are his 2 best works. He has become something of a global icon, someone who has taken 2D animation to the next level, everyone at Disney is trying to copy him for years but has failed. I see traces of his influence at Pixar too. He is famous for his unique look of his fims, and their emotional power. "Haunting" is the word. There is a scene in "Spirited Away", with the little girl heroine and her spirit guide taking a ghostly train out into the countryside, a "spirit train", dropping off spirits to their ghostly abodes. The train looks as though it travels on smoked glass, as it floats into the sunset...and the MUSIC....

OK, I'll lay out more detail on PM for you. Princess Mononoke has many layers and levels. It is first an formost an environmental parable, but it can be seen as much more than that. The story is set centuries ago, maybe 1000, maybe 2000 yrs ago, when Japan was being colonized by the new race who were pushing back the old inhabitants (those who today live on Hokkaido.) The old race lived in small villages and rode elk like horses. The Prince, leader of his people in the biggest village, is called to save the village from a giant malevolent boar demon, who attacks the village. He slays it by shooting it with an arrow, along with a fellow tribesman, but not before he he is seriously wounded in the arm. When the wound does not get better, he consults the village wise woman, he is told that because the wound came from a creature whose heart was poisoned by anger and hate, he was doomed to die unless he left his village to seek a possible cure, rumored in the lands to the east. The giant boar, upon death, melted away and it is revealed that there is a bullet in him, no weapon the villagers posses ( a gun). He is therefore cursed and exiled from the village, he chose that path, so he can't come back to them,. He leaves the village on his elk, and on the way, encounters (among other adventures) a shady samurai who tells him a strange tale of a spirit of the forest whose life the Emperor has put a price on its head. (of course the samurai does not tell him that he is hunting the spirit) . Each adventure the Price as, when he has to kill someone to protect, his wound grows worse. Helping a wounded samurai, he leads him into an enchanted forest where, unknowingly, he has a glimpse of the Forest god (which looks like majestic Bambi's father, with an ape's face). The pool surrounding the path is enchanted, its waters heal. The samurai is healed, but the Prince's wound does not change.
The path entually leads them to the film's villain, (forgot her name), she is charge of the Orthnac-like village where iron is mined to provide weaponry for the Emperor. She leads the hunt for the Forest Spirit. Hidden in the forest, watching both sides, is Mononoke and Moro and her children. Moro leads the army of forestcreatures and spritis who are battling the woman for their survival. At the moment, the forces of iron/manufacturing/loss of Faerie are winning.

Starling
Half-elven

Jul 19 2008, 8:12am

Post #9 of 9 (766 views)
Shortcut
Absolutely agree with Sunflower - two simply fabulous films // [In reply to] Can't Post

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.