Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: TheOneRing.net: Feedback:
right, I think we've achieved full troll status now
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Annael
Half-elven

Jul 11 2008, 1:59pm

Post #1 of 64 (610 views)
Shortcut
right, I think we've achieved full troll status now Can't Post

http://newboards.theonering.net/...iew_expanded;#116103

Although it could just be a tantrum because we're all laughing at him . . .

Our similarities bring us to a common ground; our differences allow us to be fascinated by each other.
- Tom Robbins
NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

(This post was edited by Annael on Jul 11 2008, 2:08pm)

ArathornJax
Lorien

Jul 11 2008, 2:26pm

Post #2 of 64 (331 views)
Shortcut
Ignore him [In reply to] Can't Post

until the mods do what they do. He's not worth the time unless you like anserous amusement.

" . . . (we are ) too engrossed in thinking of everything as a preparation or training or making one fit -- for what? At any minute it is what we are and are doing, not what we plan to be and do that counts."

J.R.R. Tolkien in his 6 October 1940 letter to his son Michael Tolkien.

Come over to the LOTR Movie Thread and discuss the 1981 BBC Adaptation of the LOTR.

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Jul 11 2008, 2:40pm

Post #3 of 64 (343 views)
Shortcut
Yeah. [In reply to] Can't Post

Annael's link doesn't lead me anywhere, but I think she means the post titled "Yeah it does make me deepen my appreciation for LOTR" in the same thread, which is rude and insulting, and explicitly flouts the image guidelines, to boot.

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
We're discussing The Lord of the Rings in the Reading Room, Oct. 15, 2007 - Mar. 22, 2009!

Join us July 7-13 for "The Black Gate Is Closed".

+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=
How to find old Reading Room discussions.

Aunt Dora Baggins
Half-elven

Jul 11 2008, 3:16pm

Post #4 of 64 (291 views)
Shortcut
*Scurries to dictionary* [In reply to] Can't Post

"anserine: of or like a goose"

ArathornJax, you are a treasure!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
"A Chance Meeting at Rivendell" and other stories

leleni at hotmail dot com

a.s.
Valinor

Jul 11 2008, 3:42pm

Post #5 of 64 (272 views)
Shortcut
what a word! *writes it down to slip into conversation somewhere...* [In reply to] Can't Post

"Anserous". Who knew? I thought it was a play on not-serious (ie: an-serious) until Aunt Dora looked it up for me.

I love learning new words. Thanks.

a.s.

"an seileachan"

Pooh began to feel a little more comfortable, because when you are a Bear of Very Little Brain, and you Think of Things, you find sometimes that a Thing which seemed very Thingish inside you is quite different when it gets out into the open and has other people looking at it.

Peredhil lover
Valinor

Jul 11 2008, 3:54pm

Post #6 of 64 (235 views)
Shortcut
Didn't know it, either, and learned something new, too :) // [In reply to] Can't Post

I do not suffer from LotR obsession - I enjoy every minute of it.

Peredhil lover
Valinor

Jul 11 2008, 3:59pm

Post #7 of 64 (251 views)
Shortcut
I guess I know [In reply to] Can't Post

which one it was - has been deleted, if I'm not mistaken. Was even ruder than the first one.

I do not suffer from LotR obsession - I enjoy every minute of it.

Elenedhel
Rivendell

Jul 11 2008, 4:00pm

Post #8 of 64 (243 views)
Shortcut
I think all of his rude posts have been deleted. [In reply to] Can't Post

"It was Sam's first view of a battle of Men against Men,and he did not like it much. He was glad that he could not see the dead face. He wondered what the man's name was and where he was from; and if he was really evil of heart, or what lies or threats had led him on the long march from his home; and if he would not really rather have stayed there in peace..."
-The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers

Eowyn of Penns Woods
Valinor

Jul 11 2008, 4:09pm

Post #9 of 64 (246 views)
Shortcut
Well, crud! [In reply to] Can't Post

I was hoping they'd just be edited so we could still have a record of all the fun he inspired, but that means the responses are lost as well!

(This post was edited by Eowyn of Penns Woods on Jul 11 2008, 4:10pm)

Elenedhel
Rivendell

Jul 11 2008, 4:10pm

Post #10 of 64 (234 views)
Shortcut
LOL!! [In reply to] Can't Post

"It was Sam's first view of a battle of Men against Men,and he did not like it much. He was glad that he could not see the dead face. He wondered what the man's name was and where he was from; and if he was really evil of heart, or what lies or threats had led him on the long march from his home; and if he would not really rather have stayed there in peace..."

Aunt Dora Baggins
Half-elven

Jul 11 2008, 4:18pm

Post #11 of 64 (230 views)
Shortcut
I just hope they don't delete the whole thread. [In reply to] Can't Post

I haven't had so much fun in a long time :-D

"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."

Elenedhel
Rivendell

Jul 11 2008, 4:19pm

Post #12 of 64 (226 views)
Shortcut
No they just deleted some of the messages. [In reply to] Can't Post

Hengist
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 11 2008, 4:25pm

Post #13 of 64 (227 views)
Shortcut
I nearly did [In reply to] Can't Post

but wouldnt want to spoil the fun (as long as it doesnt get too bad)

Disclaimer: Anything said in an admin capacity is subject to change dependent on how loud Altaira yells at me........

Eowyn of Penns Woods
Valinor

Post #14 of 64 (210 views)
Shortcut
Me too. I do love channelling Blue Wizard when possible...within Board limits.*heee* // [In reply to] Can't Post

Aunt Dora Baggins
Half-elven

Post #15 of 64 (210 views)
Shortcut
And I thought it was a play on "answer" [In reply to] Can't Post

like fun with answering a troll. :-D

Aunt Dora Baggins
Half-elven

Jul 11 2008, 4:26pm

Post #16 of 64 (220 views)
Shortcut
You were absolutely fabulous, EoPW! [In reply to] Can't Post

I enjoyed your posts in that thread so much! :-D

Aunt Dora Baggins
Half-elven

Jul 11 2008, 4:27pm

Post #17 of 64 (204 views)
Shortcut
Glad you didn't. Thanks, Hengist! // [In reply to] Can't Post

Laerasėa
Tol Eressea

Jul 11 2008, 8:05pm

Post #18 of 64 (267 views)
Shortcut
Yeah, [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm not sure if this is ok (or even a good thing to think), but one thing that I really loved about that thread was seeing all the replies written with good humor. Obviously, something like that should not be taken seriously, and I nearly didn't reply, myself, at first, but when I saw all the potential fun you could have with it, I couldn't help it! In that sense, I'm almost glad we had something like that! (if that makes sense)

I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying. - Oscar Wilde
This is a work of fiction. All the characters in it, human and otherwise, are imaginary, excepting only certain of the fairy folk, whom it might be unwise to offend by casting doubts on their existence. Or lack thereof. -Neil Gaiman
Age is an issue of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it doesn't matter. - Mark Twain
You're dead if you aim only for kids. Adults are only kids grown up, anyway. - Walt Disney
Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils. - Louis Hector Berlioz
Don't use words too big for the subject. Don't say "infinitely" when you mean "very"; otherwise you'll have no word left when you want to talk about something really infinite. -C.S. Lewis

Eowyn of Penns Woods
Valinor

Jul 11 2008, 9:09pm

Post #19 of 64 (192 views)
Shortcut
We don't feed trolls...we eat them alive! // [In reply to] Can't Post

Miret
Rivendell

Jul 11 2008, 9:20pm

Post #20 of 64 (296 views)
Shortcut
Or wait for sunup // [In reply to] Can't Post

It is by Caffeine alone I set my mind in Motion - It is by the juice of the Bean that thoughts acquire speed - The hands acquire shakes - The shakes become a warning - It is by Caffeine alone I set my mind in Motion...

Aunt Dora Baggins
Half-elven

Jul 12 2008, 5:06am

Post #21 of 64 (262 views)
Shortcut
It was like a team-building exercise. [In reply to] Can't Post

We're a great team, aren't we? :-D

Alassėa Eruvande
Valinor

Jul 12 2008, 3:51pm

Post #22 of 64 (168 views)
Shortcut
Yes! [In reply to] Can't Post

We should have a monthly troll-athon! Tongue Laugh

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

And suddenly the Ainur saw afar off a light, as it were a cloud with a living heart of flame.

Annael
Half-elven

Jul 12 2008, 4:41pm

Post #23 of 64 (418 views)
Shortcut
I feel a little sorry for him [In reply to] Can't Post

I figure he's about 13 and unsure of his masculinity - and picked the wrong way and the wrong group to assert it.

There's a lovely scene in Lars and the Real Girl where Lars's older brother, who is about to become a father, tells Lars what it means to be a man:
Lars: I was talking to Bianca, and she was saying that in her culture they have these rites of passages and rituals and cermonies, and, just all kinds of things that, when you do them, go through them, let you know that you're an adult? Doesn't that sound great?
Gus: It does.
Lars: How'd you know?
Gus: How'd I know what?
Lars: That you were a man.
Gus: Ahhh. I couldn't tell ya.
Lars: Was it... okay, was it sex?
Gus: Um. Yeah, yeah, yeah, it's uh, yeah, yeah it's kind of - it's uh - no. Well, it's kind of sex but it's not uh, you know? I don't know. I don't know. It's - uh - good question, good question.
Lars: Yeah, but I have to know
Gus: Okay, you know I can only give you my opinion.
Lars: That's what we want
Gus: Well, it's not like you're one thing or the other, okay? There's still a kid inside but you grow up when you decide to do right, okay, and not what's right for you, what's right for everybody, even when it hurts.
Lars: Okay, like what?
Gus: Like, you know, you don't jerk people around, and you don't cheat on your woman, and you take care of your family, you know, and you admit when you're wrong, or you try to, anyways. That's all I can think of. It sounds like it's easy and for some reason it's not.

I think boys in this society would benefit greatly from a rite of passage where adult men take them in hand and show them what mature males are really like. It seems like too many boys think being male means being able to "best" other people, and the Internet fosters that concept too readily. I would imagine the forums at the Star Wars sites are like those on AICN - lots of spittle and thrown rocks.

Our similarities bring us to a common ground; our differences allow us to be fascinated by each other.
- Tom Robbins
NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

(This post was edited by Annael on Jul 12 2008, 4:43pm)

Aunt Dora Baggins
Half-elven

Jul 12 2008, 8:09pm

Post #24 of 64 (155 views)
Shortcut
I can't find it now, but [In reply to] Can't Post

I would swear he claimed to be 34 or something. Of course that doesn't mean anything. Also, in scrolling through his posts, I notice a real difference in tone, and I almost wonder whether two different people are using the same nickname. Anyway, I think we were reasonable with him, considering the provocation. As flame wars go, I think we kept the temperature pretty low (and hysterical).

And I love what you said about learning from adult men. Case in point was Orcbane's great comment "Now learn something. If you are only with men you are losing. Not winning. Losing." We have some wonderful men on these boards!

a.s.
Valinor

Jul 12 2008, 8:24pm

Post #25 of 64 (176 views)
Shortcut
the sad thing is, the topic could have been discussed seriously [In reply to] Can't Post

In fact, I think we've talked about it before on the boards: are there more male fans of the book vs. female fans of the movie, and if so, thoughts on why, etc.

There was no need to be inflammatory about it, and that was the unfortunate thing.

a.s.

"an seileachan"

Pooh began to feel a little more comfortable, because when you are a Bear of Very Little Brain, and you Think of Things, you find sometimes that a Thing which seemed very Thingish inside you is quite different when it gets out into the open and has other people looking at it.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.