diedye
Grey Havens

Jul 11 2008, 1:54pm

Post #1 of 16 (188 views)
Shortcut
Interview with Bob Shaye... Can't Post

*posting*

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/...bob-shayes-retu.html

Gotta run... will be back to read article and posts...

*running

weaver
Half-elven

Jul 11 2008, 2:08pm

Post #2 of 16 (108 views)
Shortcut
what a character! [In reply to] Can't Post

I've worked with a few "Bob Shayes" and they are some of the most fascinating and frustrating folks to be around.

He's got the pretty classic risk-taking, justify your actions thinking that many entrepreneurs have, especially those who play fast and loose. Along the way they can be the vehicle for some amazing things, but a lot of other things that aren't so amazing seem to go with it. They definitely have their part to play, though.

Weaver

Peredhil lover
Valinor

Jul 11 2008, 2:25pm

Post #3 of 16 (101 views)
Shortcut
*runs to read it* [In reply to] Can't Post

Let me just say that I was appalled by any accusations that had any substance to them.

Um ... is that only me or is he appalled because the accusations are true?? To me it would be more understandable when he would be appalled about *substanceless* accusations!

*shakes head* Of course, he is completely innocent and only the bad, bad business affairs department was at fault. Of course. I should have known!

Thanks, diedye! It was really interesting to see how much he suffers from reality loss ... Evil

I do not suffer from LotR obsession - I enjoy every minute of it.

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jul 11 2008, 4:03pm

Post #4 of 16 (99 views)
Shortcut
Well, he's awfully good [In reply to] Can't Post

at passing the buck. "It's not my fault!" "I didn't like it, but... "

Ill news is a nil guest.

sample

"Barney Snow was here." ~Hug like a hobbit!~ "In my heaven..."

TORn's Observations Lists

ArathornJax
Lorien

Jul 11 2008, 4:06pm

Post #5 of 16 (95 views)
Shortcut
Sounds like [In reply to] Can't Post

reads like Shaye wants to begin to rehabilitate his public image after the disaster of the last 5 years and more of New Line. The reality is if he is able to start up a new business that is successful all else will be forgotten for that is the nature of our world, right or wrong. If he doesn't, then he'll be remembered for what he did at New Line. The key in anything corporate is to know when to get out and that is when you are on top.

" . . . (we are ) too engrossed in thinking of everything as a preparation or training or making one fit -- for what? At any minute it is what we are and are doing, not what we plan to be and do that counts."

J.R.R. Tolkien in his 6 October 1940 letter to his son Michael Tolkien.

Come over to the LOTR Movie Thread and discuss the 1981 BBC Adaptation of the LOTR.

Peredhil lover
Valinor

Jul 11 2008, 4:11pm

Post #6 of 16 (89 views)
Shortcut
As far as I am concerned [In reply to] Can't Post

he can try as much as he wants, I'm an elephant in nature. And you know what's said about their memory Evil

ArathornJax
Lorien

Jul 11 2008, 4:21pm

Post #7 of 16 (89 views)
Shortcut
Yes, always remember . . . [In reply to] Can't Post

Smile because many others won't.

" . . . (we are ) too engrossed in thinking of everything as a preparation or training or making one fit -- for what? At any minute it is what we are and are doing, not what we plan to be and do that counts."

J.R.R. Tolkien in his 6 October 1940 letter to his son Michael Tolkien.

Come over to the LOTR Movie Thread and discuss the 1981 BBC Adaptation of the LOTR.

StillCrazy
Bree

Jul 11 2008, 4:56pm

Post #8 of 16 (78 views)
Shortcut
Well so... [In reply to] Can't Post

He had time to read the script of the Last Mimzy, but not enough time to supervise his staff?

Right....Unimpressed

I might have been born at night, but it wasn't last night.

This guy reminds me of the player who gets caught cheating on his girlfriend and says the other girl tricked him into sleeping around. Just plain wrong and trying to spin it so he is the victim. Bleh.

Mr. Shaye should work for Enron.

All the worlds a stage.

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jul 11 2008, 6:37pm

Post #9 of 16 (87 views)
Shortcut
On top for him [In reply to] Can't Post

was 3 years ago. There was a wonderful afterglow for about year after RotK's release, then the fallout started hiting the fan. He got money for getting out of New Line and is re-investing for tax/business loopholes or something like that, I'll bet. I'm so disappointed in him.

sample

Patty
Immortal

Jul 11 2008, 6:42pm

Post #10 of 16 (79 views)
Shortcut
I'm disappointed in him, too, Gramma... [In reply to] Can't Post

I think that if he hadn't been such a pompous twit and grabbed PJ immediately after RotK we would have had a PJ directed Hobbit. Although I'm sure we got the best alternative possible, I still blame Shaye for the loss.

And yet I also must thank him for the LotR. Quite the paradox.

Hanging out with the Lonely Isle elves.

Peredhil lover
Valinor

Jul 11 2008, 6:51pm

Post #11 of 16 (77 views)
Shortcut
To me it's not so much the delay for TH [In reply to] Can't Post

but the fact that Shaye cheated so many people. And maybe even the end of New Line and the loss of jobs for so many could have been prevented. Who knows?

The more I think about this interview, the more it sickens me. Look at how he blames others for the whole mess. Not that I believe it one second - but *if* it were true, then what would that tell about Shaye himself? Not being able to keep his own company in order, though knowing for *years* what was going on - does that make him look better? Certainly not in my opinion.

That's pathetic and disgusting.

Patty
Immortal

Jul 11 2008, 7:38pm

Post #12 of 16 (69 views)
Shortcut
Too right, Peredhil Lover... [In reply to] Can't Post

How did he possibly not think to assure that the heirs to the man who scripted the whole story received the benefits of their contract? Disgusting.

Hanging out with the Lonely Isle elves.

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jul 12 2008, 12:43am

Post #13 of 16 (61 views)
Shortcut
That's the heartbreak [In reply to] Can't Post

If it hadn't been for him believing in Peter, we never would have had LotR. I will ALWAYS be so grateful for him listening to his inner voice and trusting in Peter and New Zealand. That's what boggles me. HE KNOWS BETTER! *shakes head* I always thought of him as one of us. You wonder which is the real Shaye. The dream-catcher or the lie-pitcher.

sample

silneldor
Half-elven

Jul 12 2008, 2:43am

Post #14 of 16 (63 views)
Shortcut
Good 'ol Bob. [In reply to] Can't Post

Reminds me of that fine character, the Master of Laketown.

"Tolkien, like Lewis, believed that, through story, the real world would become a more magical place, full of meaning. We see its patterns and colors in a fresh way. The recovery of a true view of the world applies both to individual things, like hills and stones, and to the cosmic - the depths of space and time itself. For in sub-creation, in Tolkien's view, there is a "survey" of space and time. Reality is captured on a miniature scale. Through stories like The Lord of the Rings, a renewed view of things is given, illuminating the homely, the spiritial, the physical, and the moral dimensions of the world."

Tolkien and C.S. Lewis- The Gift of Friendship -Duriez

May the grace of Manwë let us soar with eagle's wings!

In the air, among the clouds in the sky
Here is where the birds of Manwe fly
Looking at the land, and the water that flows
The true beauty of earth shows
With the stars of Varda lighting my way
In all the realms this is where I stay
In the realm of Manwë Súlimo
By El~Cugu

From the website: 'The Realm of Manwe'

FarFromHome
Valinor

Jul 12 2008, 11:14am

Post #15 of 16 (55 views)
Shortcut
His faith in Peter [In reply to] Can't Post

may not have been as great as it once appeared. After all, according to what I've read, he laid off most of the bet he made on LotR, to protect his company against the losses he was afraid it might make. Instead, of course, it made big profits, which was a disaster for Shaye - because now the profits didn't come to New Line, but to all those people he had sold the risk to. New Line had signed contracts to pay out percentages based on the profits the movies actually made, but a lot of those profits never came back to New Line, because they had been sold off for peanuts by a doubting Shaye at an early stage. He sold LotR short, and it wiped him out.

...and the sails were drawn up, and the wind blew,
and slowly the ship slipped away down the long grey firth;
and the light of the glass of Galadriel that Frodo bore
glimmered and was lost.

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jul 13 2008, 11:45am

Post #16 of 16 (54 views)
Shortcut
*jaw drops* [In reply to] Can't Post

Wow... now I understand. It's probably been discussed in many ways, but this is crystal clear.

sample

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.