Am I using correctly?

Love, Truth, Honor, Adventure

Eowyn of Penns Woods
Valinor

Jul 9 2008, 6:38pm

Post #102 of 152 (4963 views)
Shortcut
That's what I suspected [In reply to] Can't Post

but I'm used to seeing 'OP' for Original Poster instead. :)

Jettorex
Lorien

Jul 9 2008, 6:41pm

Post #103 of 152 (4956 views)
Shortcut
"Lighthouse" [In reply to] Can't Post

Haha-good one.

I Thought the movies were great and found that alot of his visions were the same as mine(except the lighthouse also).
I was a little surprised to see his depiction of the Wargs look more like hyenas. I always pictured them more as large wolves.

Jettorex
Lorien

Jul 9 2008, 6:42pm

Post #104 of 152 (4952 views)
Shortcut
now I know.... [In reply to] Can't Post

what OP means-thanks!

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 9 2008, 7:24pm

Post #105 of 152 (4957 views)
Shortcut
Exactly. [In reply to] Can't Post

One of my sisters (in her 40s) could probably count the number of entire books she has read on one hand and still have some fingers left over for a rude gesture. Reading just isn't her thing. I figure it's akin to me and numbers - to me, they're utterly foreign and my life is better for not having to work with them. My mind just doesn't work that way.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded b*****d with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Tweezers of Thu
Rivendell

Jul 9 2008, 7:37pm

Post #106 of 152 (4945 views)
Shortcut
Dire wolves or cave hyenas? [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes! I was taken aback by the wargs, too, but then I found it rather satisfying, knowing that Tolkien had an interest in paleontology (see Olog-hai/Henry Gee's article). I could buy into wargs as hypertrophied cave hyenas (cave hyenas lived throughout Eurasia in the Pleistocene) as opposed to a wolf. As Gee notes in the linked article, there are creatures of Middle-earth that would seem to be holdovers from the late Pleistocene -- like aurochs and oversized pachyderms -- or older, i.e., the fell beasts!

Just to add that Henry Gee's (author of The Science of Middle-earth) blog, The End of the Pier Show on the Nature Network is pretty entertaining.

Jettorex
Lorien

Jul 9 2008, 7:56pm

Post #107 of 152 (4937 views)
Shortcut
Dire Wolf! [In reply to] Can't Post

Very interesting. Thanks for the info!!

I think I read somewhere that GDT is going to go for the Dire Wolf look in TH.(Dire Wolf-love that name-sounds almost Tolkienesque)!

So I wonder if GDT will use the giant short faced bear for Beorn or the modern version?

Tweezers of Thu
Rivendell

Jul 9 2008, 8:10pm

Post #108 of 152 (4933 views)
Shortcut
Now that's one BIG bear! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'd be content with something along the lines of Ron Perlman as cave bear, too. Wink

Elizabeth
Half-elven

Jul 9 2008, 8:51pm

Post #109 of 152 (4945 views)
Shortcut
What's particularly sad about this [In reply to] Can't Post

irrelevant to the issue of various versions of LotR is the fact that you can't get enjoyment from reading in general. The ability to read words and get wonderful pictures in your mind is a priceless skill, that brings realms of enjoyment in all fields. A person who can only be "forcefed" images from outside via films, TV, etc., is missing a major component of imagination, and is crippled just as much as one who is missing one of the major senses, or a limb.

Sunset, July 3, 2008

Elizabeth is the TORnsib formerly known as 'erather'

sphdle1
Gondor

Jul 9 2008, 9:57pm

Post #110 of 152 (4934 views)
Shortcut
I agree [In reply to] Can't Post

However I think have and use this ability quite a bit in other things (just not reading). I have enough pictures, sounds, and creative things that create mentally via my imagination, between my music writing & other various things, that I am most content.

Aerin
Grey Havens

Jul 9 2008, 10:18pm

Post #111 of 152 (4924 views)
Shortcut
Exactly. [In reply to] Can't Post

BTW, your response was evidently deleted by an admin.; I was composing my own response, but by the time I hit "post," yours was already gone.

I am glad you understood correctly what I was saying. Not to stir things up, but perhaps I should explain what made me think of dyslexia -- it was the fact that in one of your posts, you used the word "torture" to describe reading, and it's common for people with dyslexia to describe reading as "torture." Dyslexia, BTW, is not just about reversing letters; it's more about having to work harder than most people to recognize words on a page and internalize them. This makes reading less fluid and more effortful. It has been suggested, also, that people with dyslexia are more likely than average to have strong spatial-visual skills or math ability, though I don't think there is scientific evidence for this. There are different degrees of dyslexia, and many people who are not great readers actually have some degree of dyslexia without knowing it. But it's clearly not the only reason someone might not like to read.

As for finding it sad, it's obviously not sad for you, as you can't miss enjoying something that you don't enjoy. It seems sad to *me* that the enjoyment of reading is denied to anyone. But in the context of this thread, it seems especially sad to me that someone who loves the LOTR movies so much can't have the experience of reading the original story, let alone the Silmarillion or Unfinished Tales.

a.s.
Valinor

Jul 9 2008, 10:26pm

Post #112 of 152 (4919 views)
Shortcut
use the poster's nick/name, is probably better [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't think "TS" or "OP" is in general use on Torn, although I only usually read Main, OT, and the RR so I might stand corrected. But we usually refer to another poster by name or some nickname-ish form of said Torn name, such as calling NE Brigand "NEB" or grammaboodawg "gramma". Like that.

It can get confusing in these long threads to know who is talking to who. Whom Whoever. Especially for new members who don't understand our threading system. So if you want to call attention to something another poster has said in the thread, it's probably best to just use that posters nick/name. Less confusion.

Laugh

a.s.

"an seileachan"

Pooh began to feel a little more comfortable, because when you are a Bear of Very Little Brain, and you Think of Things, you find sometimes that a Thing which seemed very Thingish inside you is quite different when it gets out into the open and has other people looking at it.

sphdle1
Gondor

Jul 9 2008, 10:34pm

Post #113 of 152 (4925 views)
Shortcut
interesting [In reply to] Can't Post

maybe it's just not the way certain people's minds work as you say...my wife loves books, always has to have one on the go, however hates anything to do with mathematics (where as I love math/physics & was a math teacher for several years & now work in IT with computers, but avoid reading like the plague).

I'm starting to think that it's just my mind doesn't work that way.
I can count the number of novels I read on part of 1 finger (3/4 of Weathering Heights - Emily Bonte) During my last year of high school English class, my then girlfriend who is now my wife, read the last 1/4 of it too me. I had to read it for school, but I actually didn't mind too too much, as the story was really good, and my imagination is good so helped me get through it, but when they played the movie version in class (black and white), I remember even though the characters looked nothing like I imagined, and certain things were not as dark as I envisioned, I so much liked the movie better & would far rather watch it than having read the book. I actually liked it in class where the teacher/& us, disected it, various themes, literary concepts applied, storay line, plot, sub-plot, climax, anti-climax, etc. I much preferred the dissection of it and discussions, than actually reading it.

Oh there was one other novel the year before, but only only read about half of that one or less, the rest was read in class by the teacher or other students.

Here's an interesting thing. I remember any time I read in class, I could 'only' read the words and pretend to express them. I had great trouble in remembering anything I just read, and prayed that the teacher wouldn't ask me any questions on what I just read, because I would have a blank slate. Not quite that bad when alone in my room reading the Weathering Heights novel, but still was a lot of work for me. I also find just at certain times, I have to read something 2 or three times to really get it in my head. Not fun!

sphdle1
Gondor

Jul 9 2008, 10:49pm

Post #114 of 152 (4946 views)
Shortcut
I did not know that [In reply to] Can't Post

dyslexia is not just mixing up words. Because I just posted somewhere else, how I struggle with getting what I read in my head, sometimes having to read parts of it over 2-3 times. I definitely struggle with most things I read, but when it's something that interests me, it doesn't seem to be as bad...only things I am forced to read that don't interest me is it the worst.

I may very well have some form of dyslexia, that just went un-noticed because I was able to struggle through what I had to read (painfully I might add). History or Psychology books were the worst I ever had to endure in school or university. OK Psychology was by far the worst now that I think about it. I would actually 'almost' fall asleep trying to read the text book, even when I was not that tired. Sometimes I remember having to read a paragraph or sence several times, cause each time my mind would wonder and think of something else, or the words did not get in my head.

I remember any/everytime I read out loud in class (highschool), I would read the words and fake my way through with pronounciation and emphasis (actually concentrating more on how I read it), but didn't have a cluse what I read...just read the words and hoped I wouldn't be asked a question. It's like my memory couldn't hold it long enough for me to process it, or I took too longer to process it. Now I know that sounds like I am a slow learner or something, but though I have to work harder at school studies than most, and I worked hard (maybe part of my OCD kicking in forcing me to get good marks no matter how hard I had to work), I managed to get near the top of some of my classes in certain classes like math & philosophy, and had the highest year end mark of the entire campus at a community college I attended for a full year computer course. So I don't think I'm necessarily a slow learner, but I do struggle with reading more than most.

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Jul 9 2008, 11:11pm

Post #115 of 152 (4933 views)
Shortcut
Oh, my. [In reply to] Can't Post

It's interesting the things we never know about other people here, until they come up for some reason in conversation.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
"A Chance Meeting at Rivendell" and other stories

leleni at hotmail dot com

Eruwestial37
Rohan

Jul 10 2008, 12:04am

Post #116 of 152 (4922 views)
Shortcut
Reading aloud is harder [In reply to] Can't Post

for me than reading silently. Like you, I don't recall what I've read and have to reread it quietly. Yet I'm an avid reader and have read many, many books.

Perhaps it's what you've had to read that's given you the impression that you can't understand it.
I was an avid reader in grade school, always several grades ahead of my classmates, but you could not get me to read any mainstream fiction. I hated it! Give me a text book on horses, or even a horse story realistic enough to be non-fiction and I was in heaven.
Even today, I do not read 'novels' but rather science fiction and fantasy as well as non-fiction in subjects I love. Have you ever considered trying out books in subjects that fascinate you?
My daughter came back to live with me at age 10, and said she hated reading. In less than 3 months she was an avid reader because I found her books that fascinated her. She is 28 now and still loves books.

Per the Tolkien books-though I love reading I found them laborious until I'd seen FOTR and TT. Then I wanted to read them out of curiosity. I wanted to know all I could about this marvelous world, and they were the ticket. Perhaps some day your curiosity will draw you into the world. I sincerely hope so. Once you delve into these stories they reveal a richness you cannot imagine. Good luck!

Eruwestial

Huan71
Lorien

Jul 10 2008, 12:53am

Post #117 of 152 (4918 views)
Shortcut
The wrong crowd [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

In Reply To
I've said it elsewhere here, i cant think of ANY under 25's that i know that read. Certainly not on a regular basis.

My daughter's 23, and she reads about five novels a week.She's my Terry Pratchett guru; she tells me what order to read the books in. I betcha our own TORnsib laerasea reads a lot ;-)

My nieces, nephews, work colleagues, friends and their children...
reading happens....um....sometimes i guess you could say.
Maybe i know all the wrong people. A bunch of philistines! lol
My brothers (all younger) read a fair bit. especially the one just younger than me.
Terry Pratchett is brilliant ! Such a shame about his illness.
have you seen him in his TV films?

(This post was edited by Ataahua on Jul 10 2008, 1:34am)

sphdle1
Gondor

Jul 10 2008, 1:00am

Post #118 of 152 (4912 views)
Shortcut
well [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm reading a lot of posts on here, and enjoying that, and don't need to read them more than once, so that is a good sign, however regarding other types of reading, I only enjoy a good book or magazine when they have lots of pictures in them. I'll flip through books or magazines and look at the pictures all the time...drives my wife nuts.

(This post was edited by sphdle1 on Jul 10 2008, 1:01am)

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Jul 10 2008, 1:11am

Post #119 of 152 (4917 views)
Shortcut
My daughter and I had the great pleasure [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Terry Pratchett is brilliant ! Such a shame about his illness.
have you seen him in his TV films?

of meeting Terry Pratchett at a book signing in Denver last spring, just before his announcement. He was delightful. I haven't seen him in his TV films, though. It is very, very sad about his illness, but I can't help thinking that somehow Death won't get the best of him.

"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
"A Chance Meeting at Rivendell" and other stories

leleni at hotmail dot com

(This post was edited by Ataahua on Jul 10 2008, 1:34am)

silneldor
Half-elven

Jul 10 2008, 1:13am

Post #120 of 152 (4917 views)
Shortcut
Well Elizabeth, [In reply to] Can't Post

that surely is a sight that is striking. I love it. Storm element clouds offer amazing things at dawn and dusk. I'd love a link of a BIGGER shot of that.(subtle hintAngelic).

"Tolkien, like Lewis, believed that, through story, the real world would become a more magical place, full of meaning. We see its patterns and colors in a fresh way. The recovery of a true view of the world applies both to individual things, like hills and stones, and to the cosmic - the depths of space and time itself. For in sub-creation, in Tolkien's view, there is a "survey" of space and time. Reality is captured on a miniature scale. Through stories like The Lord of the Rings, a renewed view of things is given, illuminating the homely, the spiritial, the physical, and the moral dimensions of the world."

Tolkien and C.S. Lewis- The Gift of Friendship -Duriez

May the grace of Manwë let us soar with eagle's wings!

In the air, among the clouds in the sky
Here is where the birds of Manwe fly
Looking at the land, and the water that flows
The true beauty of earth shows
With the stars of Varda lighting my way
In all the realms this is where I stay
In the realm of Manwë Súlimo
By El~Cugu

From the website: 'The Realm of Manwe'

Sunflower
Valinor

Jul 10 2008, 2:12am

Post #121 of 152 (4911 views)
Shortcut
On a side note, Luna.....ROFL!!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

That footer is, like, THE BEST EVER. (can I borrow it under the Fair Use Law, if I use your name?Laugh)

(and a Sloggoth for VP)

You should use it when you post in one of the threads Del Toro has posted in....I'll bet he will get a real kick out of it as well. Seriously!!

Sunflower
Valinor

Jul 10 2008, 2:22am

Post #122 of 152 (4905 views)
Shortcut
FYI [In reply to] Can't Post

Sphdle, my cousin is severely dyslexic, and he had a horrible inferiority complex over it for several years. To the point where he considered himself a failure and dropped out of college, convinced he could not do the work. After a series of dead-end jobs and failed small business schemes, he was bitter and decided to try college again. He was encouraged by a professor he met at the college he had gone to before, who was also dyslexic. With this professor as a role model as well as teacher, he is now doing wonders, with a 4.0 average and plans to try law school
All it takes is the right mentor.inspiration sometimes.

But you go on enjoying what you can.....I can understand the frustration you must fell sometimes. But you came to the right place to hang out with a crowd who'll be with you every step of the way, if you try a new quest....(once we understand!)

Even if we have the occasional disagreement!)Sly

Magpie
Immortal

Jul 10 2008, 2:35am

Post #123 of 152 (4900 views)
Shortcut
This was why... [In reply to] Can't Post

...I suggested audio books might be the way to go. I didn't want to suggest dyslexia, since there really are lots of reasons people don't read. I'm pretty sure my son is not dyslexic but he definitely prefers audio books when he can get them. We had a whole thread on feedback, a few weeks back, where quite a few of us shared how we don't feel we have any fully developed dyslexia but we do struggle with reading in some way. I struggle with certain types of fonts and formatting and get very overwhelmed when text isn't broken into paragraphs and there are too many choices. When Hobbit threads were overwhelming Movie (which tends to be a bit sedate), I kind of lost it. I struggled for months and was seriously considering leaving the forum when the topics were separated into two boards.

So, lots of people struggle with various things connected with reading. Some people just don't like books. Or fiction. Or fantasy. Some of these people are my friends and I know they're normal and intelligent. But if you like 'stories' but just don't like reading, it's possible that audio books may work for you.

I happen to love the LOTR audio books. I haven't actually 'read' LOTR in years. I've listened to it in audio book form for the last 5 years. I think, for many of us, the books and the movies get wedded in ways that they supplement each other very well. Each is enhanced by the other. (That's not true for everyone, of course.)

I also have listened to many of the Harry Potter books. I recently listened to Lemony Snickett's A Series of Unfortunate Events, The Bad Beginning, read by Tim Curry and loved it. You can get many audio books at the library. Unfortunately, many best sellers are abridged which sucks the life out of them.

magpie avatar gallery ~ soundtrack website ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Magpie
Immortal

Jul 10 2008, 2:39am

Post #124 of 152 (4902 views)
Shortcut
I Stumbled Upon that political message the other day [In reply to] Can't Post

...and had a good laugh. Will resist the urge to share other favorites.

magpie avatar gallery ~ soundtrack website ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Daughter of Nienna
Grey Havens

Jul 10 2008, 2:47am

Post #125 of 152 (4902 views)
Shortcut
wow, someone else... [In reply to] Can't Post

...feels the same way I do about this scene...

In Reply To
I get carried away by Frodo facing the Flying Nazgul in Osgiliath, even though there's a part of me that is always saying, "But he shouldn't even be there!".

**Tribute: Lt. J.G. Robert Sterling, WWII Pilot MIA, by Gramma & DoN**
Art Gallery Revised, Aloha & Mahalo, Websites Directory

Nienna: “ those who hearken to her learn pity, and endurance in hope . . . All those who wait in Mandos cry to her, for she brings strength to the spirit and turns sorrow to wisdom." — Valaquenta

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.