Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: The Arena:
An archery contest

Arwen's daughter
Half-elven

Jul 9 2008, 4:16pm

Post #1 of 11 (3934 views)
Shortcut
An archery contest Can't Post

Merry, Pippin, Sam, and Frodo decide to split a cake 5 ways, being rather bad at fractions. When they all try to claim the last piece a fight breaks out until they decide to settle it with an archery contest. None of them being particularly proficient with a bow, they seek some help. They each find a master to teach them and have 48 hours before the contest (else the cake will go bad). Thus the battle is about their archery teachers and how quickly each Hobbit could master the skill.

Merry is taught by Legolas. Sam is taught by Bard. Pippin is taught by William Tell. And Frodo is taught by Robin Hood.

Who wins the contest?

My LiveJournal
My Costuming Site
TORn's Costume Discussions Archive
July Screencap of the Day Schedule

Ainu Laire
Tol Eressea

Jul 10 2008, 8:29am

Post #2 of 11 (1085 views)
Shortcut
That's a tough one... [In reply to] Can't Post

Making me think about it! Ah, it burns! ;)

I never saw Legolas as being "the best archer EVA" as some portray him, so no.
Bard had to be told by a bug where to shoot. So no.
Anyone can shoot an apple. No William.
I'm going to have to go with Robin Hood. Especially if he's the fox Robin Hood from the animation. That guy was one of my childhood heroes.

My LJ
My art site
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
NARF since age 8, when I refused to read the Hobbit because the cover looked boring and icky.

Finduilas101
Rivendell

Jul 12 2008, 1:07pm

Post #3 of 11 (980 views)
Shortcut
Hmm...interesting. [In reply to] Can't Post

Bard? I had a feeling that his shot was lucky...so sorry Sam, no cake for you.

Robin Hood????? That's a bit of a laugh. Sorry Frodo, no cake for you.

Hmm...William Tell eh? He would be quite good if he didn't accidentally loose his temper and end up killing Pippin. And given Pippin's stupidity, I would say that's likely.

Leggy and Merry? Awkward!!! But still, I think Leggy would be a good teacher, he just strikes me as that way. And Merry is a relatively fast learner too.

Looking around Elrond's library...chucking stones in the waterfalls...singing tra-la-la with the elves....yup, life's good in Rivendell.

Gondorian_Ranger
Rivendell

Jul 14 2008, 5:20pm

Post #4 of 11 (1017 views)
Shortcut
Got ring, will steal [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm going to have to say that after failing to produce satisfactory results in his archery, Frodo slips on the one ring, steals the piece of cake and eats it in a dark corner of bag end Smile

"The city of Osgiliath has been reclaimed, FOR GONDOR!"
Photobucket

SmeagoloftheStoors
Lorien

Jul 15 2008, 4:43am

Post #5 of 11 (953 views)
Shortcut
Out side of this chance [In reply to] Can't Post

I think that Bard would be the best teacher because one would have to be infinatly patient to always reclaim one arrow. Last year I quit looking for a lost throwing knife after 2 hours.

Eglario Valar!
It's me!
It's me!

Woodyend
Gondor

Jul 23 2008, 4:48pm

Post #6 of 11 (1066 views)
Shortcut
Iím going with Sam. [In reply to] Can't Post

I think Bard was the better shot ergo better teacher. After all, he took down a ticked off fire breathing dragon in full flight.

May your beer be laid under an enchantment of surpassing excellence for seven years!
~~~~~~~~Gandalf~~~~~~~
Listen. Strange women lying in ponds, distributing swords, is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony!

Milady
Rivendell

Aug 19 2008, 2:06am

Post #7 of 11 (1329 views)
Shortcut
I know a little something about archery... [In reply to] Can't Post

Having more than a little personal experience with archery, 48 hours is actually (in my opinion) quite enough time to learn how to at least hit within the blue, maybe red rings. (The targets I'm used to have black rings, then blue, then red, with yellow as the bullseye).

Legolas is good, but I don't recall any evidence showing him being an exceptional archer.
Bard hit what I like to think of as a five-square-inch spot on a moving dragon. Props to the Lakeman.
William Tell hit an apple. Anyone with enough practice can hit an apple.
Robin Hood.....I don't know that much about Robin Hood.

Based off that, I want to say Sam would win. Of course, you can have the best teacher in the world and still fail, because some people are just naturally bad.

I'll be leading the Reading Room discussion of The Two Towers: The Road to Isengard on the week of May 26--June 1. Be sure to stop by!

Has anyone ever wondered what would have happened if Smaug had ate Bilbo, and therefore the ring? It would be interesting to see Sauron send orcs to go diving for the Ring.

Salty Coqui
Rivendell

Aug 19 2008, 3:46pm

Post #8 of 11 (1179 views)
Shortcut
Frodo for President! [In reply to] Can't Post

"Merry is taught by Legolas. Sam is taught by Bard. Pippin is taught by William Tell. And Frodo is taught by Robin Hood."

All of the teachers seem to be good archers. But, how good are they at teaching? Just because one is good at a thing, that doesn't mean they are able to help others learn to be just as good as they are.
From what I know of Robin Hood he was good at inspiring his people during hard times. And Frodo is a very special Hobbit if I may say so! I'm for Frodo!

Legolas123
The Shire

Sep 8 2008, 11:35pm

Post #9 of 11 (1334 views)
Shortcut
Merry [In reply to] Can't Post

It would easily be Merry.

Legolas with perfect aim shot an orc in the middle of it's forehead in the Mines Of Moria, with hardly any standing/aiming time, if any at all.

He had an arrow at Eomer's head before the Rohirrim could even began to process what he was doing, despite the fact that they are clearly the top notch Human army in the entire Trilogy.

(This post was edited by Legolas123 on Sep 8 2008, 11:36pm)

Blitz

Oct 28 2008, 5:48pm

Post #10 of 11 (970 views)
Shortcut
Robin Hood and Frodo for the win. [In reply to] Can't Post

I would go with Frodo On this one. Robin Hood is good because he knows what it takes to be that good in a lifetime that does not stretch forever. He will have the advantage in teaching Frodo in a 48 hour period. Also he is just a man and does not poses the keen eye of an elf, something Legolas would not be able to teach.
But besides that...No one is better than Robin Hood...NO ONE!

(This post was edited by Blitz on Oct 28 2008, 5:51pm)

Legolas123
The Shire

Oct 29 2008, 9:17am

Post #11 of 11 (3773 views)
Shortcut
That didn't make sense [In reply to] Can't Post

The amount of time has nothing to do with it. This argument isn't about a 30 year old Legolas vs. a 30 year old Robin Hood. And besides, living forever doesn't mean it takes a long time for Legolas to learn to do what he does in the LOTR Films.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.