Books or Movie?
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next page Last page  View All

sphdle1
Gondor

Jul 9 2008, 11:58am

Post #76 of 152 (5397 views)
Shortcut
you use the g word a lot [In reply to] Can't Post

though I refer to Jackson's genius, that doesn't mean I can't appreciate Tolkien's genius. I may not like some of his original story lines or themes as much, but knowing Jackson wrote and directed these films based on Tolkiens genius, my hat is off to Tolkien for that.

sphdle1
Gondor

Jul 9 2008, 12:01pm

Post #77 of 152 (5369 views)
Shortcut
agreed [In reply to] Can't Post

my purpose in this thread was not to get a debate going with myself, but to see others opinions and thoughts on the question.

sphdle1
Gondor

Jul 9 2008, 12:05pm

Post #78 of 152 (5381 views)
Shortcut
I do appreciate [In reply to] Can't Post

your passion and ability to enjoy books so much..if I didn't have the movies and like them so much, I would be envious. But my wife and kids are huge book worms, and they prefer the book over the movie. I can appreciate it, but don't fully understand why, probably because I am not able to enjoy reading as many others are. Good for you.

sphdle1
Gondor

Jul 9 2008, 12:15pm

Post #79 of 152 (5408 views)
Shortcut
maybe [In reply to] Can't Post

someday reading may not be as popular as you suggest, but look at what JK Rowling has done for the world in terms of reading and getting people excited about reading. I am not an example, but my wife and 2 girls are. My 2 girls and most of their friends are direct examples of young kids getting into reading (passionately) because of the Harry Potter books...not to take anything away from other authors, such as Tolkien's contributions.
I think her creativity is genius and equally that of Tolkien's if not more, as it pertains to the movies, and the concepts, themes, characters and story lines presented, in spite of what may have been changed to take out in both sets of movies. As far as the books, I kinda am going on what my girls think, and they slightly prefer HP over LOTR for reading, especially the last HP book.

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Jul 9 2008, 2:31pm

Post #80 of 152 (5392 views)
Shortcut
Wow, really? [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I've said it elsewhere here, i cant think of ANY under 25's that i know that read. Certainly not on a regular basis.

My daughter's 23, and she reads about five novels a week. She's been doing that since she was in kindergarten; she read Jurassic Park when she was seven and I wouldn't let her see the movie. She's my Terry Pratchett guru; she tells me what order to read the books in. She's also been writing novels since she was in grade school. My son's not quite that prolific, but he does enjoy Neal Stephenson, and those books are pretty hefty.

I betcha our own TORnsib laerasea reads a lot ;-)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
"A Chance Meeting at Rivendell" and other stories

leleni at hotmail dot com

Magpie
Immortal

Jul 9 2008, 2:47pm

Post #81 of 152 (5358 views)
Shortcut
Jurassic Park was my son's first novel, as well [In reply to] Can't Post

Age 10, I believe.

He (now 25) sometimes picks books just because they're thick and will last longer.

It's funny, this son used to read incessantly and still won't leave the house w/o a book because he might find himself with a few free moments to fill up. I rarely saw the other son (now almost 22) read. He doesn't carry a book around with him and is very active. But he would rave to me about first Animorphs, then His Dark Materials, then Douglas Adams, then Orson Scott Card. So I know he reads.

magpie avatar gallery ~ soundtrack website ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Jul 9 2008, 3:17pm

Post #82 of 152 (5356 views)
Shortcut
Do you like old B&W movies? [In reply to] Can't Post

Jackson's LotR aside, are there any classic, black-and-white films that you enjoy as much as modern stereophonic color spectaculars?

Since I never answered your initial question: I vastly prefer Tolkien's books to Jackson's films. Not only do I not care for Jackson's LotR as adaptations, I don't think much of them as films, either. To me, they are squarely mediocre, less good than about half the fifty-odd films I saw each year for 2001-2003. But I'm very much in the minority.

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
We're discussing The Lord of the Rings in the Reading Room, Oct. 15, 2007 - Mar. 22, 2009!

Join us July 7-13 for "The Black Gate Is Closed".

+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=
How to find old Reading Room discussions.

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Jul 9 2008, 3:33pm

Post #83 of 152 (5363 views)
Shortcut
You might yet come to enjoy the books. [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm not saying you must try. But perhaps it would not be impossible for you to endure a complete reading The Lord of the Rings, and even like it. That might require working up beginning with shorter material. You read lots of posts here, and take the time to kindly reply to many of them -- so the sheer act of reading and getting something out of words is already within your grasp. Twenty-odd years ago, in college or high school, you must have been required to read a fair number of books. Surely there were some you hated less than others. Perhaps you could figure out why that was? And then proceed to stories that are reported to have some of the qualities you despised least? Only if you wanted to, of course.

We're discussing The Lord of the Rings in the Reading Room, Oct. 15, 2007 - Mar. 22, 2009!

Jettorex
Lorien

Jul 9 2008, 3:52pm

Post #84 of 152 (5359 views)
Shortcut
I call foul.. [In reply to] Can't Post

Calling someone Dyslexic and sad because they don't like to read is a bit over the line. Props to TS for not telling you to pound salt.

Love, Truth, Honor, Adventure

sphdle1
Gondor

Jul 9 2008, 4:08pm

Post #85 of 152 (5363 views)
Shortcut
here's the thing [In reply to] Can't Post

Maybe this will shed more light on it for people, as well as for my own understanding. I have various anxiety disorders (both mental and social), and have battled a few cases of severe OCD throughout my life, which were brought on because of these disorders. Though I am finally on medication for them, it is a very mild/low dose, an basically just keeps me away from being on the verge of panic attacks.
I think my makeup is such that I don't have the patience to sit down and keep interest in a book, which has not changed since I was very young. It would take a much higher dose of Clonazepam/Rivotril to calm my anixiety enough to read with relaxation, however I would likely just fall asleep, as that drug is also in the tranquilizer family. (everyone is googling Clonazepam/Rivotril now...lol) I find there is more excitement or interest in forums because of the communication aspect, whereas a book reveals things but there is no dialogue. As far as reading other things, when forced to I would read what was asked in high school and university, and of course things I have to with my job, but other than that the only other reading I do besides blogging, that I enjoy, is the odd article on sports or news, or just something on the internet that interests me. There again, another example of reading I don't like is the newspaper. I can only find interest in a few stories here or there. If something really interests me, I will google it on the web to find out more.
I don't know for sure what all the reasons are for me never being able to enjoy reading, but I would guess some of it is due to anxiety..?

I am more of a problem solving thinker, a logical math/computer/science thinker, as well as, a musical/artistic thinker. I have never however had an interest in liturature or history. I write songs & play in a band, that is my real passion, but I find movies a good way to relax (depending on the movie & scenes of course, but overall) & enjoy a good story, along with the music, and the visual/auditory effects. Though I write songs, and love playing piano, I have never had interest in reading or writing music (same as with books/literature), and at the same time, I really do not like to write the words/lyrics for my songs, but do so only when I have to...I think I'm fairly good at it, but get the opposite of enjoyment out of it, for the most part. I mostly enjoy the creating of music/melodies, improvising, and play mainly by ear.

But it could be that it's not anixiety or anything in particular, and I just never developed the interest in literature/reading/etc., and it's just not my bag.

Maybe someone here can figure me out on reading based on all that. If you do, let me know..lol

(This post was edited by sphdle1 on Jul 9 2008, 4:14pm)

Lunamoth
Rohan

Jul 9 2008, 4:20pm

Post #86 of 152 (5353 views)
Shortcut
Why is that such an insult? [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Calling someone Dyslexic and sad because they don't like to read is a bit over the line. Props to TS for not telling you to pound salt.

I didn't read the post you refer to that way. I read it as "I wonder if maybe dyslexia might explain the aversion to reading." It's a legitimate suggestion and a very real disorder that many people deal with, undiagnosed. It can cause a great deal of struggle for some people and they may never know why that is.

Look at it like this: taking offense to the suggestion that maybe someone might be dyslexic because of a serious, anxious aversion to reading is like getting offended if one is squinting at a computer screen from 2 inches away, and someone suggests maybe that person needs corrective lenses.

(This post was edited by Altaira on Jul 12 2008, 3:45pm)

sphdle1
Gondor

Jul 9 2008, 4:25pm

Post #87 of 152 (5336 views)
Shortcut
not really [In reply to] Can't Post

I could probably sit an watch a Charlie Chaplin film or 2 on occasion, but that's about it.

Between Titanic & Star Wars: The Phantom Menance, those movies really got me into movies more, and since I have really found enjoyment in most movies; whether comedy, chick flick, LOTR, SW, HP, Matrix, animated, etc. Jackson's LOTR, HP, SW & Matrix would be my top 4 I enjoy most.
I think the music in these films are some of the best ever, for me, and that plays a big part in it for me. Howard Shore's music in LOTR, and John Williams scores in HP & SW, I can almost watch those movies for the awesome musical experience alone. Music sometimes can evoke emotion in me like nothing else. I actually got choked up a bit when I saw Celine Dion live in concert once.

But I respect your difference in preferrence.

Jettorex
Lorien

Jul 9 2008, 4:29pm

Post #88 of 152 (5378 views)
Shortcut
Hey [In reply to] Can't Post

Best of luck with overcoming/dealing with your disorders, unfortunately I can't offer any aid at this point, only best of wishes.

This is a very, very literate website and I just think that some people here have a hard time understanding someone that dosn't read!

FYI-for my part I love reading and writing, but also find movies to be fascinating(almost kind of the highest art form) as they involve almost all the arts/artists:
writing, music, photography, acting, computer arts, sculpting etc.

Any way, good interesting post topic and best of luck.

Eowyn of Penns Woods
Valinor

Jul 9 2008, 4:30pm

Post #89 of 152 (5342 views)
Shortcut
*raises hand* [In reply to] Can't Post

I have a milder form of social anxiety and OCD, but have never been on medication for either of them.
I am also disgustingly logical, according to all the test results and opinionated observers. *heh*
Musical? Check.
Artistic? Check.
But I do love history and reading.
I'd rather not play Dr. Phil here, so I think you'll have to ask a professional to help you get to the root of the problem. :)

sphdle1
Gondor

Jul 9 2008, 4:44pm

Post #90 of 152 (5346 views)
Shortcut
so [In reply to] Can't Post

Yeah, based on your post, it may just be that it's just not my thing, different strokes for different folks, and not anxiety or anything else...? I love pizza, and can not for the life of me understand why one of my daughters doesn't. Just different tastes, different interests.

Jettorex
Lorien

Jul 9 2008, 4:45pm

Post #91 of 152 (5332 views)
Shortcut
well.. [In reply to] Can't Post

with all due respect, not really. She was the first to call TS out while evyone else was engaging in an interesting discussion and then continued her attack, also calling TS "sad" and not dropping it, then others piled on.

So taken as whole I thought it unfair especially when the TS had the fortitude not to engage.

And I beleive your analogy(although very creative) is incorrect, you are picking out just one part and saying "see, not so bad". But taken as a whole, c'mon.

Maybe a better analogy would be seeing a person squinting at a computer screen from 2 inches away and suggesting the person should read abook instead. : )

Peredhil lover
Valinor

Jul 9 2008, 4:51pm

Post #92 of 152 (5323 views)
Shortcut
The way I read it [In reply to] Can't Post

she didn't call Sphdle sad, but said that it is sad that he's not enjoying reading. That is a difference, IMO, and in no way offending.

I do not suffer from LotR obsession - I enjoy every minute of it.

sphdle1
Gondor

Jul 9 2008, 4:51pm

Post #93 of 152 (5329 views)
Shortcut
actually [In reply to] Can't Post

I hope I didn't come across as looking for pity or that things are that tough right now. Things are actually better than ever, and nearly one of the best times of my life.

I don't really think of it as having disorders, as doctors may have diagnosed, and I would say my anxieties are pretty much under control...I was just thinking out loud on a theory that maybe anxieties play a part in my inability to enjoy reading for pleasure, however another poster has similar conditions and loves to read. Now that I think about it, one of my daughters (the more passionate reader of the two), is the one who inherited my anxieties.

On why I like movies so much more, I think you summed it up good for me in how you enjoy them..."they involve almost all the arts/artists"

Lunamoth
Rohan

Jul 9 2008, 4:54pm

Post #94 of 152 (5326 views)
Shortcut
I disagree [In reply to] Can't Post

But I'm not in a position to convince you of something which you've already clearly decided upon.

What's wrong with suggesting you think something is sad? It's an opinion, in that case. Are you suggesting that people with opinions other than "wow, that's super!" shouldn't share them?

*shrug* Maybe that's the case. Maybe no one should speak unless they have something chipper and positive and pleasant to say. It'll be just like a Jane Austen novel. Yay!

(This post was edited by Altaira on Jul 12 2008, 3:46pm)

Eowyn of Penns Woods
Valinor

Jul 9 2008, 4:58pm

Post #95 of 152 (5326 views)
Shortcut
What's TS, precious? [In reply to] Can't Post

And, in case you weren't around last night--- there are posts now missing from this thread.
I expect that the same thing will occur again at any moment.

sphdle1
Gondor

Jul 9 2008, 4:59pm

Post #96 of 152 (5326 views)
Shortcut
I'll chime in [In reply to] Can't Post

Here's how I read it...I didn't take any offence, and just took it that she was trying to reason out why I could never enjoy reading like so many others, as maybe there might be a condition to explain it. Dyslexia is very likely possibility for many people if undiagnosed, but I don't have dislexia, though I do like how Yoda talks (maybe I am a dislexic wanna be? lol). I even purposed anxiety as a possible cause myself, however it's hard to say as other posters have similar anxieties and are avid readers. As far as sad, I did take it that she sincerely meant it as "it's to bad", and not as "you sad little man".

sphdle1
Gondor

Jul 9 2008, 5:01pm

Post #97 of 152 (5325 views)
Shortcut
that explains it [In reply to] Can't Post

I was wondering where one of my posts ended up.

Peredhil lover
Valinor

Jul 9 2008, 5:21pm

Post #98 of 152 (5309 views)
Shortcut
We may never agree about the book/movie thing ;) [In reply to] Can't Post

but I am impressed that you are so open about this anxiety thing. I don't know enough about that to even guess how far it could influence your problem with reading, but if it makes you too restless to sit long, it could have something to do with it, I suppose. (Though, you can watch movies, so maybe not ...) And it is surely not impossible that some condition might be behind it.
Anyway, even the same illness or whatever is not always exact the same for everyone. Even the more simple ones. For example, when a friend of mine gets a cold, and a very slight one at that, she gets high fever every time. While I can have a very bad cold and still never get fever. So who knows - others may react rather different to the same condition.

I do not suffer from LotR obsession - I enjoy every minute of it.

Tweezers of Thu
Rivendell

Jul 9 2008, 5:54pm

Post #99 of 152 (5308 views)
Shortcut
Book, fer sure, but then... [In reply to] Can't Post

...I've been around since the Years of the Lamps so I solidly fall into the >35 years old category. Even within the book bin, I'd have to say that although I enjoy The Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit, I am much more enthralled with The Silmarillion, Unfinished Tales, and all manner of trivia and oddities in The History of Middle-earth. These are the foundation of Tolkien's mythopoeia.

I loved the movies, too, but in a different way. Granted, as a diehard book devotee, there were some images that were jarring (I still haven't recovered from The Boss* being depicted as a lighthouse) and some changes to the story that had me scratching my head (but not walking out in disgust) but by and large, I was fine with Jackson's translation. I also love Howard Shore's score and listen to the soundtrack frequently.

Given my druthers though, if I had to choose what to take to an isolated place, like a desert island that miraculously had a power source, I'd take the books.

N.E. Brigand
Half-elven

Jul 9 2008, 6:25pm

Post #100 of 152 (5322 views)
Shortcut
Thank you. [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm wowed by your trust in sharing all that information with us -- thank you very much for explaining. And I'm sorry that this thread became so heavily focused on your personal situation, which cannot have been your intent. Still, it seems fair for some here to have observed that you could not yourself answer your own question in the way that almost every one of your respondents has: you haven't --and may not be able to-- read the book, and so you cannot compare its achievement to what Jackson may have managed with celluloid. However, nice work kicking off a lengthy discussion!

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.