Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
What have you been reading this week?

a.s.
Valinor

Mar 21 2007, 10:55am

Views: 363
Shortcut
What have you been reading this week? Can't Post

Listening to audiobooks frequently as I do, I've become aware of the difference between a book read and a book heard. For instance, I'm able to listen to--and enjoy--books that I can't finish as printed pages. Perhaps I'm irritated by the writing style ("Everything's Illuminated"), the way the words are put together in deliberately eccentric ways on the page by the author interfering with my enjoyment of the tale. Or books out of my usual genre, ones I wouldn't be listening to at all if I could have found something else at the library that day and wasn't accustomed to (read "addicted to", if you must) listening to a book now at all times my car is turned on so that I grabbed anything just to fill in the radio silence.

Evil

I just finished listening to "The Amalgamation Polka", which is a book I picked up once at the library, thumbed through, thought about (it got such good reviews) and then put back on the shelf. It just seemed too "precious", too overblown, too (dare I say it!!) post-modern for me. You can read the first chapter at the linked NYT review, and see what I mean.

But listening to it was a pleasure. Read aloud, the parody of nineteenth century prose and speaking voice comes through loud and clear. Yes, the story is way over the top. Think Alice Through the Looking Glass, as the NYT review mentions. It's a pretty good book, read aloud!

Other than that, another slow reading week. I found a great little book at a used book store a few weeks ago. I love used book stores, especially the one run by our local library system, which sells not only donated books but also the books being "culled" from the library shelves. Much as I hate to see any book removed from the library, to buy a good used book for a few dollars that I could never find serendipitiously any other way is a TREAT!!

Anyway, I found a 1970 paperback revised edition of a 1948 edition of Selected Chaucer's Canterbury Tales: An Interlinear Translation, by Vincent Hopper (Professor of English, New York University). You can read an excerpt at the link (hopefully) to see what an "interlinear" translation looks like. It's quite enjoyable, and after awhile you hardly notice you are reading the translation almost simultaneously with the Middle English words. I'm having fun with that.

What about you all? What have you been reading this week?

a.s.

"an seileachan"

Everybody's wondering what and where they all came from.
Everybody's worried 'bout where they're gonna go when the whole thing's done.
No one knows for certain, and so it's all the same to me:
I think I'll just let the mystery be.
~~~~Iris DeMent

Subject User Time
What have you been reading this week? a.s. Send a private message to a.s. Mar 21 2007, 10:55am
    The Color of Magic NottaSackville Send a private message to NottaSackville Mar 21 2007, 12:41pm
        I enjoyed the Color of Magic as well Foe Send a private message to Foe Mar 25 2007, 4:24pm
    The Bookseller of Kabul JRandomRohirrim Send a private message to JRandomRohirrim Mar 21 2007, 2:01pm
        fiction or non-fiction? {nt} a.s. Send a private message to a.s. Mar 21 2007, 10:41pm
    Finally started LOTR again (which will probably confuse the heck out of me for the movie quizzes)/ Elberbeth Send a private message to Elberbeth Mar 21 2007, 2:57pm
    The Ruins by Scott Smith CAhobbit Send a private message to CAhobbit Mar 21 2007, 3:07pm
        I thought the ending was pretty good a.s. Send a private message to a.s. Mar 21 2007, 10:43pm
            Finished it! *Slight spoiler* CAhobbit Send a private message to CAhobbit Mar 22 2007, 9:13pm
    bunch of books about heroines in myths Annael Send a private message to Annael Mar 21 2007, 3:22pm
    Le Morte d'Arthur, LotR Aunt Dora Baggins Send a private message to Aunt Dora Baggins Mar 21 2007, 4:48pm
        Le Morte d'Arthur. wolfranger Send a private message to wolfranger Mar 21 2007, 9:45pm
        structure of the stories Penthe Send a private message to Penthe Mar 21 2007, 11:31pm
        I read that years ago. Alnilam Send a private message to Alnilam Mar 22 2007, 1:41am
    Overture to Death, by Ngaio Marsh. RosieLass Send a private message to RosieLass Mar 21 2007, 5:16pm
    Making the Mummies Dance Aerlinn Send a private message to Aerlinn Mar 21 2007, 6:54pm
        OK...MUST get this book, can't resist this review a.s. Send a private message to a.s. Mar 21 2007, 9:48pm
    A Clash of Kings Arwen's daughter Send a private message to Arwen's daughter Mar 21 2007, 7:23pm
    Brideshead Revisited, Swann's Way. Curious Send a private message to Curious Mar 21 2007, 8:44pm
        Just for fun, the NYT 1945 review a.s. Send a private message to a.s. Mar 21 2007, 10:23pm
            Oops. Curious Send a private message to Curious Mar 22 2007, 12:15am
                oops? I didn't even notice because a.s. Send a private message to a.s. Mar 22 2007, 1:03am
        Love in a Cold Climate and Oxford Penthe Send a private message to Penthe Mar 21 2007, 11:38pm
            I lost interest in the miniseries GaladrielTX Send a private message to GaladrielTX Mar 21 2007, 11:44pm
                Jeremey Irons = Charles Penthe Send a private message to Penthe Mar 22 2007, 8:48am
    Middle english translation. wolfranger Send a private message to wolfranger Mar 21 2007, 9:41pm
        it sort of blends together a.s. Send a private message to a.s. Mar 21 2007, 10:25pm
        Charles Ives, the composer? GaladrielTX Send a private message to GaladrielTX Mar 21 2007, 11:39pm
            Yes indeed! wolfranger Send a private message to wolfranger Mar 22 2007, 9:01am
    Viscous fluid flow and the Dresden files Draupne Send a private message to Draupne Mar 21 2007, 9:42pm
        Does one help with the reading of the other? / Ataahua Send a private message to Ataahua Mar 21 2007, 10:09pm
            Not even chocolate Draupne Send a private message to Draupne Mar 21 2007, 11:10pm
                melted chocolate perhaps? // Penthe Send a private message to Penthe Mar 21 2007, 11:39pm
                    That's sticky Draupne Send a private message to Draupne Mar 22 2007, 9:08am
    The Hobbit {NT} ringhead91 Send a private message to ringhead91 Mar 21 2007, 10:50pm
        I too have just finished re-reading this. Ataahua Send a private message to Ataahua Mar 22 2007, 1:55am
    Tehanu....finally hatster Send a private message to hatster Mar 22 2007, 3:31am
        now . . . Annael Send a private message to Annael Mar 22 2007, 2:40pm
            OK... which books should I read in which order?! hatster Send a private message to hatster Mar 22 2007, 11:09pm
                I read Draupne Send a private message to Draupne Mar 22 2007, 11:20pm
                order of Earthsea books Annael Send a private message to Annael Mar 23 2007, 12:08am
                    Thanks both of you! / hatster Send a private message to hatster Mar 23 2007, 2:23am
        I read "Tehanu" recently too. Aunt Dora Baggins Send a private message to Aunt Dora Baggins Mar 22 2007, 7:09pm
    Stranger in a Strange Land by R. Heinlein Revie Send a private message to Revie Mar 22 2007, 9:03pm
        That's one of my favorite books. Curious Send a private message to Curious Mar 22 2007, 10:50pm
            One of my favorites, too. Morwen Send a private message to Morwen Mar 22 2007, 11:31pm
                Was Heinlein any more sexist than Tolkien? Curious Send a private message to Curious Mar 23 2007, 10:40am
                    Probably not. Morwen Send a private message to Morwen Mar 23 2007, 12:22pm
                        I've always found it interesting to see science-fiction Curious Send a private message to Curious Mar 23 2007, 2:54pm
                            I like that idea Morwen Send a private message to Morwen Mar 23 2007, 3:10pm
        Well, I read it when I was young Finding Frodo Send a private message to Finding Frodo Mar 23 2007, 4:27am
            Rand and Heinlein both like to rant, but Curious Send a private message to Curious Mar 23 2007, 3:28pm
                Well, I believe that Finding Frodo Send a private message to Finding Frodo Mar 24 2007, 4:19am
                    It's not Rand's fantasy that scares me, Curious Send a private message to Curious Mar 24 2007, 11:31am
    Middle English is not hard to learn. And Curious Send a private message to Curious Mar 23 2007, 3:40pm
    I will start 'Liberating the Gospels' silneldor Send a private message to silneldor Mar 23 2007, 6:18pm

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.