Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: The Arena:
Star Wars Universe Vs. Lord of the RIngs Universe!

LordotRings93
Rohan

Jul 6 2008, 3:46pm

Post #1 of 25 (5420 views)
Shortcut
Star Wars Universe Vs. Lord of the RIngs Universe! Can't Post

Let's get ready to rumble! In this big battle, everything from Star Wars, from Jedi, to Sith, to TIE fighters, to Wookiees, to Jawas, to Tuskan Raiders, to Ewoks, to Clone Troopers, to Imperial troops, rebel troops, droids, yeah, I can go on all day with Star Wars *lost in a SW daydream*. Oh and in this corner we have.... Lord of the Rings, from hobbits to elves to dwarves and humans and whatever. Both sides have weapons that they use, Jedi have lightsabers, clones have blasters, etc. They also have gunships and battleships. Lord of the RIngs has *laughs* swords, arrows and catapults. Let the battle BEGIN! My two cents.: Star Wars. Jedi can cut right through with their lightsabers, clones can use blasters, gunships and TIE fighters can destory the whole LOTR universe single handedly. Obi-Wan leading a battalion of clone troopers and destory half the army.
The HUGEST Lord of the Rings fan ever!
Owner of all LOTR merchandise.
In 2011-2012, The Hobbit is going there and back again.
"I know what I must do. It's just... I'm afraid to do it."

(This post was edited by Ataahua on Jul 10 2008, 12:18am)

Woodyend
Gondor

Jul 6 2008, 4:12pm

Post #2 of 25 (1159 views)
Shortcut
In Star Wars you had to make a lucky shot.... [In reply to] Can't Post

(Death Star) to win just a battle. In the Middle-earth universe, all you have to do is throw one tiny little ring in a volcano.
So I'm going with the Hobbits, Elves, Dwarves and all free folks to win the game.

May your beer be laid under an enchantment of surpassing excellence for seven years!
~~~~~~~~Gandalf~~~~~~~
Listen, strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government!

Compa_Mighty
Tol Eressea

Jul 6 2008, 6:07pm

Post #3 of 25 (1151 views)
Shortcut
The true question here [In reply to] Can't Post

Is who is more powerful: Eru or The Force.

It seems like if Middle Earth is in a danger perilous enough, Eru and the Valar can simply change the world, destroy, it, make it round, and substracting an entire continent from the physical circles in it.

That would be a problem for even the most powerful of the Jedi.

Additionally, no Jedi is as powerful as any Maiar, let alone Valar. Considering the Maiar (say Sauron, the Istari or a Balrog) are divine, there's not much Jedi with normal midichlorian count (I had to bring it up Tongue) could do against them.

However, technologically speaking, Star Wars is much more advanced, and in the sight of peril, they could just jump to hyperspace and regroup. Also, any political association (Old or New Republic, Empire) infinitely outnumber the total population of Middle Earth.

Narsil versus a Lightsaber? Ha!

Also, maybe and just maybe, if the Force is what binds everything together, then the magic worked in Middle Earth could actually hail from The Force.

Are the Force and Eru the same thing, just understood in a different way?

What if Middle Earth is just a continent of an uncharted planet in the Star Wars galaxy?

But... if Middle Earth is in a planet of the Yuuzhan Vong galaxy, then they might not be vulnerable to the Force, while having their magic and the Valar with them, which would provoke a battle in their own turf to be favourable to them.

I say Star Wars, but maybe there are elements we are forgetting.Wink

Here's to Del Toro becoming the Irvin Kershner of Middle Earth!

Essay winner of the Show us your Hobbit Pride Giveway!

Finduilas101
Rivendell

Jul 6 2008, 7:31pm

Post #4 of 25 (1134 views)
Shortcut
Star Wars wins...until the Valar realize what's going on. [In reply to] Can't Post

Normally Star Wars would definitely win, mostly because of their advanced technology. The Jedi would only be a plus in that equation...(haha, I just got a funny mental picture of Leggy flying through the air with a lightsaber sticking out of his back and his braids flying everywhere) with all their fancy moves and stuff. The huge AT-AT's and the AT-TE's would probably end up stomping most of the hobbits, dwarves, and orcs right away. Elves, trolls, men, and the other miscellaneous dragons and such would have a better chance at beating them.

Then, probably after ten or so years, the Valar and Maiar would finally realize what was going on and come storming up.

Manwe-sits back and raises his sapphire staff, sends a bunch of lightning and tornadoes at the Jedi, generally crushing them.
Varda-blesses all the remaining creatures of ME with extreme stamina, health, and healing so it's harder to kill them.
Mandos- points and shouts a lot but doesn't actually get much done.
Ulmo- floods every ocean, lake, and river and sends huge tidal waves crashing over the machinery, short-circuting it all.
Aule- gives all the remaining creatures of ME super-hard-to-destroy weaponry to inflict maximum damage
Yavanna- gives life to all the growing things of ME so they can withstand attack
Lorien- umm...gives everyone good dreams?
Este-sleeps
Nienna- gives everyone strength of spirit
Tulkas- does some major butt-whooping on the battlefield
Nessa- runs around and makes sure that all the deer are safe?
Orome- goes stormtrooper-hunting
Vana- gives extra vigor to all the plants and animals

Long post, but you get the idea...

Saruman, Gandalf the Grey rides to Isenguard...NO LONGER SEEKING YOUR COUNCIL!!!

LordotRings93
Rohan

Jul 6 2008, 11:23pm

Post #5 of 25 (1107 views)
Shortcut
What is this Valar and Maiar? [In reply to] Can't Post

this Maiar you speak of can't kill a Jedi, like Anakin said in Episode 1 "No one can kill a Jedi." *Bows his head for the sad death of Qui Gon Jinn at the hands of Darth Maul*.

Ataahua
Superuser / Moderator

Jul 7 2008, 12:15am

Post #6 of 25 (1136 views)
Shortcut
Please - Hobbits every time. [In reply to] Can't Post

Wookies and Jedi wouldn't even deign to notice the hairy little shorties, giving Hobbits the chance to sneak up behind them and stab them in the knee.

;)

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Saurons master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded b*****d with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Kelvarhin
Half-elven

Jul 7 2008, 4:32am

Post #7 of 25 (1117 views)
Shortcut
Yep [In reply to] Can't Post

and lets not forget that Stormtroopers couldn't hit the side of a barn with their blasters. And Vader tends to kill all his own troops too. So they'd have noone left to attack the Middle-earth brigade Wink

Valinor, O Valinor
Andav yny hyarya
Tumna y nyna minya fa
An Valinor, liss Eldamar

Kelvarhin's Universe
In the land of TORnadoes...where the brilliant play (with thanks to grammaboodawg :) )
Is TORn...Is Good

LordotRings93
Rohan

Jul 7 2008, 1:59pm

Post #8 of 25 (1062 views)
Shortcut
Wow [In reply to] Can't Post

Those aren't even true. A stupid hobbit couldn't kill a Jedi. Face it, LOTR would lose so bad to Star Wars.

Idril Celebrindal
Tol Eressea

Jul 7 2008, 3:02pm

Post #9 of 25 (1131 views)
Shortcut
Nope, the AT-ATs and AT-STs are toast [In reply to] Can't Post

The huge AT-AT's and the AT-TE's would probably end up stomping most of the hobbits, dwarves, and orcs right away.

Au contraire! Return of the Jedi showed that Imperial walkers are uniquely vulnerable to the tactics of small, relatively primitive folk. They'd be no match for the combined cunning of the short-statured Hobbits, Dwarves and Orcs -- not to mention the Druadan (the Wild Men of the woods), who are about the closest thing to Ewoks in Middle-earth. But yeah, these victories will be short-lived in the grand scheme of things as the Imperials roundly trounce the Last Alliance of Men, Elves, Dwarves, Hobbits, Ents, Orcs, Half-Orcs, Trolls, Dragons, Were-Bears, Stone Giants, Giant Spiders, Balrogs and Wizards.

When all seems lost, Sauron will pull the same trick on Palpatine that he did on Ar-Pharazon the Golden: pretend to surrender and corrupt the Empire from within. Since it's already pretty corrupt, this will be child's play for our favorite fallen Maia.

Once the Valar figure out what's going on, though, all bets are off. Even the Empire headed by Sauron (with Palpatine and Vader as figureheads) would have problems taking on their combined might. I suppose Middle-earth could be blasted into smithereens by the Death Star or some other planet-busting weapon. At this point, though, bad Imperial engineering comes back to bite them in the rear. Imperial doomsday weapons always have some kind of design flaw or unintended vulnerability that can be exploited by a small group of brave freedom fighters ... and even a conquered Middle-earth would be able to provide plenty of those, with a little assistance from the Valar.

We're discussing the BBC Lord of the Rings Radio Play on the Movie Discussion - LOTR board.

With caffeine, all things are possible.

The pity of Bilbo will screw up the fate of many.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

(This post was edited by Idril Celebrindal on Jul 7 2008, 3:11pm)

Arwen's daughter
Half-elven

Jul 7 2008, 3:51pm

Post #10 of 25 (1109 views)
Shortcut
Two questions... [In reply to] Can't Post

First question: which time period from each world are we dealing with? Star Wars when the Jedi and Senate have the power or after the Sith have taken over? LOTR during the Fellowship's trek or after Aragorn's reign or during the Silmarillion? This could change what resources are available to each side.

Second question: Where does the battle take place? Are The Force and The Valar both present?

Someone said this battle comes down to The Force vs. The Valar. I would change that to The Valar vs. The Deathstar. In the smaller battles technology mostly wins, but remember that the Ewoks took out Stormtroopers pretty effectively through guerilla tactics. So technology doesn't necessarily win out if either side knows the terrain well enough. Which is why I elevate this battle to the two greatest technologies available. In essence, who has the greater nukes? The Valar can reshape the planet, the Deathstar can destroy it. But the Deathstar in turn can be destroyed while the Valar cannot. So the question is, can the Valar take out the Deathstar before it destroys the planet. And the answer is yes.

Of course, if the point is to take and hold the planet rather than simple "pacification" then the Deathstar isn't involved. Then in comes down to organization and numbers.

In Star Wars, everyone who does something has to have a "power." Luke may be a simple farmboy, but he also has The Force. Otherwise he'd still be hanging out with Aunt Beru and complaining about not getting to go to Toshi Station. In LOTR simple people do extraordinary things without superpowers. The Hobbits rise up and retake their land. Frodo and Sam make it all the way to Mt. Doom. Bilbo holds his own with a dragon! ME is an easier breeding ground for heroes.

So it comes down to who's doing the fighting. If the Jedi and alliance are working together and all of ME is working together, then I'd say it's actually a pretty fair fight. Again, depending on whether or not the ME forces are using guerilla tactics or trying to fight it out honorably on the field of battle. My money is on the forces of ME.

My LiveJournal
My Costuming Site
TORn's Costume Discussions Archive
July Screencap of the Day Schedule

Padster
Bree

Jul 7 2008, 4:08pm

Post #11 of 25 (1150 views)
Shortcut
Well that's obvious isn't it.... [In reply to] Can't Post

The LOTR universe would wup the Star Wars universe. Oh sure, hi-tech would make mince meat out of the run of the mill inhabitants of MIDDLE-EARTH, but they don't mater a jot! As soon as the Death Star or a few Star Destroyers obliterate the surface of Middle-earth, because there is little doubt that they could, then the Valar and Maiar of Middle-earth, and possibly the countless Ainur who never entered Arda, would rise up and reduce the entire fire power of the Star Wars universe to twisted metal and embaressed dead Jedi.

The Valar helped create the whole of CREATION, and the Valar then moulded CREATION!

Just how could they lose? Well they couldn't.

But this is a ridiculous combat anyway. Hi-tech would probably always beat magic, due to the reliability of its effects and outcome. The magic, that is, of corporeal beings like eldar and men. This is an exercise in weapons technology nothing more. A better battle would be to have a 100 Stormtroopers armed with swords and bow, vs 100 eldar armed similarly, and then flip it around, with both sides armed with blasters.

And because the Star Wars galaxgy is the invention of the driviling moron that is George Lucas, or "The man who couldn't direct to save his life", then it should lose every battle. Period.

Cheers

Padster
(Who really DOES like Star Wars, but thinks Lucas is a moron and has a lot to answer for, most importantly for Jar-Jar!!)

LordotRings93
Rohan

Jul 8 2008, 3:32pm

Post #12 of 25 (1157 views)
Shortcut
No Valar, but there is The Force [In reply to] Can't Post

There is no Valar. But Star Wars pwns so I give them the Force to kick LOTR's @$$. And there is no time peroid, just eveyrthing from the SW universe and LOTR universe (except those stupid Valar people, whoever they are). Clone Troopers and Imperial Troopers, Senate and the Sith, Jedi as well.

(This post was edited by Ataahua on Jul 10 2008, 12:17am)

Arwen's daughter
Half-elven

Jul 8 2008, 3:47pm

Post #13 of 25 (1173 views)
Shortcut
You cannot take the Valar out and still have a fair fight! [In reply to] Can't Post

Let us consider how the two worlds fit together. The Force is an energy field which gives the Jedi and Sith their power. Okay, so it's caused by midichlorians in the blood blah blah blah. It's how you get superbeings. The ME equivalent to the Jedi and Sith are, I would argue, the Maiar. Beings like Gandalf, Saruman, Sauron. Beings with great power. They are granted their power from the Valar, the demi-gods of ME. Thus if you want a fair fight then The Force and the Valar must both be present or neither should be present.

Of course, that's if you're interested in a fair fight.... Wink

My LiveJournal
My Costuming Site

LordotRings93
Rohan

Jul 9 2008, 2:20am

Post #14 of 25 (1118 views)
Shortcut
A way to kill those magic men [In reply to] Can't Post

Obi-Wan is known as a negotiator. All he has to do is pretend to negotiate with the Maria peoples then ownz them with his lightsaber wen they rn't lookin. And how could you say "Okay, so it's caused by midichlorians in the blood blah blah blah."? How can you say blah blah about SW? SW PWNZ ALLLLLL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! STAR WARS 4 LIFE!

(This post was edited by Ataahua on Jul 10 2008, 12:17am)

LordotRings93
Rohan

Jul 9 2008, 2:30am

Post #15 of 25 (1167 views)
Shortcut
Also what is a Maria? [In reply to] Can't Post

I asked this a lot but I still don't know what they are.

(This post was edited by Ataahua on Jul 10 2008, 12:11am)

Arwen's daughter
Half-elven

Jul 9 2008, 2:59am

Post #16 of 25 (1264 views)
Shortcut
In the beginning there was Eru [In reply to] Can't Post

Eru is God. Eru created the Valar. Think of them as demi-gods or like the Greek gods and goddesses. They live in Valinor, where the elves return when they tire of this world or when they die. The god of the ocean, the god of the dead, the queen of the stars, etc. Eru also created the Maiar. The Maiar are a step below the Valar but a step above the other inhabitants of ME. Sauron was a maia. The Balrogs are maiar. Saruman, Gandalf, and the other wizards are maia. If you'd like to know more, you should definitely read the Silmarillion where all of this is explained.

Maiar

Valar

My LiveJournal
My Costuming Site

LordotRings93
Rohan

Jul 9 2008, 2:02pm

Post #17 of 25 (1278 views)
Shortcut
Reading ANOTHER LOTR book? [In reply to] Can't Post

I think I'll pass on reading the Silhariloankrgrnvrejah whatever the heck it's called. I've had enough of LOTR for my life.

(This post was edited by Ataahua on Jul 10 2008, 12:10am)

Ainu Laire
Tol Eressea

Jul 10 2008, 8:22am

Post #18 of 25 (1071 views)
Shortcut
It's not a "LOTR" book. It's a Tolkien book. [In reply to] Can't Post

And really, you cannot make an argument against a universe if you don't know everything about said universe :) You know plenty about Star Wars, but not much about the forces that created Arda if you haven't read the Sil-ma-ril-lion (I love how complex that name is).

In the end, I have to agree with a previous poster. Star Wars with their technology would start wiping Middle-earth until the Valar found out what was happening. Seeing as they themselves are demi-Gods of some sort, and much more powerful than any human could ever be (Jedi included- they are only mortal!), they'd win the day.

Now, how about this: a storm trooper and a (mortal) soldier of Middle-earth in hand-to-hand combat. No weapons.

My LJ
My art site
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
NARF since age 8, when I refused to read the Hobbit because the cover looked boring and icky.

LordotRings93
Rohan

Jul 10 2008, 9:27pm

Post #19 of 25 (1077 views)
Shortcut
That is pointless [In reply to] Can't Post

No weapons? What's the point then? "Come on Stormtrooper, let's wrestle without weapons!" How exciting is that.....?

(This post was edited by Ataahua on Jul 10 2008, 9:53pm)

Miret
Rivendell

Jul 11 2008, 1:06am

Post #20 of 25 (1343 views)
Shortcut
No Contest [In reply to] Can't Post

Set Tulkas loose and tell him happy hunting.

It is by Caffeine alone I set my mind in Motion - It is by the juice of the Bean that thoughts acquire speed - The hands acquire shakes - The shakes become a warning - It is by Caffeine alone I set my mind in Motion...

Jazmine
Tol Eressea

Jul 11 2008, 8:49pm

Post #21 of 25 (1148 views)
Shortcut
Well that does make one wonder [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I think I'll pass on reading the Silhariloankrgrnvrejah whatever the heck it's called. I've had enough of LOTR for my life.

Why you bother posting on a LoTR-related message board?! Angelic

*Jazminatar the Brown*

Gondorian_Ranger
Rivendell

Jul 15 2008, 12:35am

Post #22 of 25 (978 views)
Shortcut
Star Wars, unfortunately [In reply to] Can't Post

If we're talking about warfare and not creativeness or genius then I have to say that Middle-earth technology just does not match up to that of...whatever world Star Wars takes place in... Does that mean they have the better races or characters ? No it does not! Maybe hobbits vs. jawas would have been more contestable Wink

"The city of Osgiliath has been reclaimed, FOR GONDOR!"
Photobucket

SmeagoloftheStoors
Lorien

Jul 15 2008, 4:48am

Post #23 of 25 (1037 views)
Shortcut
I seek peace in the 2 realms of fandom. [In reply to] Can't Post

My best friend in high school was a huge SW fan and I kept my head in the clouds of ME. Yet we still keep in touch and have had many great discussions.

Eglario Valar!
It's me!
It's me!

Hyarmendacil
The Shire

Oct 21 2008, 1:34am

Post #24 of 25 (5173 views)
Shortcut
No Contest [In reply to] Can't Post

The Valar and Eru are not part of LOTR, so they don't get to play a role. Ar Pharazon, a mere mortal, humbled Sauron (even with his ring). This means that even Maia are vulnerable to ordinary force. Hence the Star Wars crew with their vastly superior technology would easily defeat the LOTR crew. They could not *kill* any of the Maia, but they could render them impotent by killing their physical bodies and so defeat them.

AncalagontheBlack
Rohan

Jun 29 2013, 4:28pm

Post #25 of 25 (189 views)
Shortcut
middle earth [In reply to] Can't Post

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.