Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
Idle Idol Chatter

FingonOfPittsburgh
Lorien

Mar 21 2007, 10:11am

Post #1 of 17 (200 views)
Shortcut
Idle Idol Chatter Can't Post

Apologies to Farawyn, but you dropped the ball, girlfriend!

This week was actually the most enjoyable show of the season so far, I thought. I think everyone did well, and most everyone did very well.

Haley – I really don’t like her, but she was great tonight. I love this song, and she did a great version of it. She will definitely be back next week.

Chris R – GREAT performance.I'm definitely not a fan, and I wasn’t expecting much from him with this song, but he ended up nailing it.

Jordin – best performance of the night. Hands down, not even close. She “blew it out the box” tonight, as the dawg would say. Yeeeeah.

Beat-box-boy – I am SO tired of the wave/moonwalk crap, but he did something tonight that rarely happens: he took a song I hate and made me really like it. He may have had the second best performance of the night, right behind Jordin.

Lakisha – looked great, tore it up as usual. She is so good that a great performance like this just seems like standard fare. I would’ve rather seen her do something girl-groupy/doo-woppy, but she’s still great, whatever she does.

Nosferatu – probably the worst performance of the night. Not as bad as he usually does, but not close to as good as the others. What was all over his shirt? He looked like he just finished changing someone’s oil at Jiffy Lube. AWFUL performance. He’s going home this week.

Stephanie – shockingly unimpressive. I love this song and was expecting big things. But she managed to make it boring for me. Plus she keeps sounding like a bad Beyonce ripoff. She’s a good singer, but has a long way to go. She’ll be gone within three weeks.

Sanjaya – like Simon said – that goofy crying girl’s face says it all. What a bizarre chapter to American Idol. I don’t get it.

Gina – I don’t like her at all. She shrieked through this performance and never should’ve made the top 12. If Nosferatu manages to dodge the stake tonight, Gina will be the victim.

Chris Sligh – good. Not great, not spectacular, but a solid performance.

Melinda – wonderful as always. She didn’t particularly stand out this week, but she’s still the best singer in the competition.
Getting cut this week: Nosferatu or Joan Jett

Out of the darkness of my life, so much frustrated, I put before you the one great thing to love on earth: the Blessed Sacrament... There you will find romance, glory, honour, fidelity, and the true way of all your loves on earth, and more than that: Death: by the divine paradox, that which ends life, and demands the surrender of all, and yet by the taste (or foretaste) of which alone can what you seek in your earthly relationships (love, faithfulness, joy) be maintained, or take on that complexion of reality, of eternal endurance, which every man's heart desires.

--J.R.R. Tolkien, Letter #43, to his son Michael

(This post was edited by FingonOfPittsburgh on Mar 21 2007, 10:13am)

Aerlinn
Lorien

Mar 21 2007, 1:25pm

Post #2 of 17 (126 views)
Shortcut
THAT'S IT! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thank you, FoP - that's why Phil scares me. I've been thinking because he looks like an alien, but you've got it: he looks like the evil undead. Grow hair, sir. Any hair. The head is evil.

Haley - I do like her, and I didn't like her. Simon was right - he said people would remember something other than her singing, and when they played the clip at the end I had no memory of the lyrics. I guess I was too distracted waiting for her top to fall off (can you say "double-sided tape"?) and thinking what a bad choice those shorts were.

Chris R - still can't stand him. It was much better this week because he heroically resisted the runs, or most of them, but... Simon said it was "a little nasally". I think it was a lot nasal, and I can't listen to it. But with those eyes and that smile he's not going anywhere.

Jordin - I adore Jordin. A sweetheart with a killer voice. And imagine being able to say "I made Simon want to jump off a bridge!"

Blake - Wow. I loved that. I do like the song, and he was fantastic. I'm downloading that.

Lakisha - [quote]I would’ve rather seen her do something girl-groupy/doo-woppy[/quote]
Amen. I heard Bassey in her performance, but I kind of agreed with Simon (I usually do); too old. I don't know the other song she was considering; I wonder about it.

Phil - So he wasn't sweating through his shirt? Awful. Gimmicky. He lost me a long time ago, and ... his head just scares me. And I *like* bald men.

Stephanie - I never much cared for her, but then I don't like Beyonce and she's all about Beyonce. But I do acknowledge she has a good voice ... except for last night. It was like she was trying to give us the William Shatner school of singing - wringing every ... last ... drop... of anguish out of every ... single ... note. It was exhausting. And not good.

Dhani - "I don't know what I'm doing". Very apt. If I were a member of the Kinks I would have been waiting outside the studio with a shotgun. I think he's being kept around so he'll be on the tour, which is pretty much what happened with Chicken Little last year. Argh. *sob*

(Did anyone else see the other little girl in the audience who was shooting the sobbing one filthy looks when she (boohoo) was brought up on the stage? I could hear her thinking "WTF?! If I'd known *I* would have faked hysterics!")

Gina - Didn't mind it. I like her, and didn't hate it. Maybe not the best choice; Stones, yes, "Paint It Black" maybe not.

Chris - love him. Not his best, but better, thank goodness, though I'm the one who liked last week too (I thought the arrangement was quite good).

Melinda - she has a gift for taking songs I absolutely hate and making them listen to-able. Although that doesn't bode well for her CD song choices... hm. Hadn't thought of that... She rules the rest, but that worries me now.

'I cannot read the furry letters,' said Frodo in a quavering voice.
'No,' said Gandalf, 'but I can.'

'One Ring to drool on them all, One Ring to heed them
One Ring to bring them all and remind them all to feed them
In the land of Kitchen where the litter lies.
'

My TORn archives - to be updated sooner or later

Eowyn of Penns Woods
Valinor

Mar 21 2007, 1:49pm

Post #3 of 17 (102 views)
Shortcut
Umm... [In reply to] Can't Post

I still find Haley terribly High School Variety Show vocally, but she looked great.
I'm not 'wired' to let her jiggle-n-shake routine make me overlook her weak voice.
She did finally show some personality, though.

Wow! Chris R. didn't suck this time! Still had some nasally moments, but definitely
his best night so far. That should counteract some global warming. ;)

Stephanie should keep her bags packed. She's getting lost in what appears to be
the Battle of the Divas, and the Beyonce and That Ilk thing wasn't working
for her last night. Forgetable.

Blake was better this week, but should thank the band and backups.
Their volume was noticeably higher when needed to fill out his weak
higher notes.

I hate to say it, but I was not impressed with Lakisha this week.
She seemed disconnected from the song, or something...
Her worst night is still a million times better than Sanjaya's best.

Personally, I would never have let Phil past the first audition, and I still don't like him.
Better than last week, but still...Go home, already!

Jordin, you go girl! I thought she actually connected better this this week than Melinda,
but she doesn't yet have Melinda's level of control.

I've lost my appetite for ham-n-cheese. Sanjaya still sings like Sanjaya, but at least
he was animated this time. *sigh* *passes drinks to Kinks*

Unfortunately, Gina really was "style over content." She could have kicked it
There's no excuse.

I love Chris Sligh's tone, but dude needs to save his breath and stay in one place.
And don't go into the audience if you're afraid you'll lose your concentration by
interacting with the audience. America will notice.

Not my favorite of her performances, but Melinda is still Melinda the Pro.
I do wish she'd really followed the theme, and taken a real chance.

Great coaching this week! Can we keep them and lose a couple contestants instead?
Oh, and constantly cutting to one bawling tweenie does not a British Invasion vibe make.

CAhobbit
Rohan

Mar 21 2007, 3:59pm

Post #4 of 17 (117 views)
Shortcut
I am still astonished... [In reply to] Can't Post

by the love for Sanjaya. That boy cannot sing well enough to have made it this far and yet he has a HUGE fanbase of 13 somethings. Then again I look at Dancing with the Stars and how Jerry Springer was kept on the show by his fanbase.

Do not meddle in the affairs of hobbits for we can bite your kneecaps off!

CAhobbit's flickr page

CAhobbit's myspace

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Mar 21 2007, 4:36pm

Post #5 of 17 (95 views)
Shortcut
I haven't been watching it much [In reply to] Can't Post

just here and there to see Lakisha's performances. She's from a city not far from me, and the town is going NUTS with enthusiam and support. She sings at the church and in high school, and the students/young people are seeing a real, positive inspiration coming out of what is commonly known as a challenged area and city. Flint is a very dangerous place to live. An auto-factory town that's disintegrating with the closure of the factories and loss of jobs. She is a real beacon of hope.

I'm sure she feels the support, and possibly the distraction/pressure of so many hopes and dreams riding on her performances. Each night she's on, the school auditorium is filled with students, friends and family to watch and they have a local contest that night as well, just for fun. I don't think she has any problem focusing, though... as she is what you see; a classy, confident, funny, bright young woman. Cheers for Lakisha!

sample sample
Trust him... The Hobbit is coming!

"Barney Snow was here." ~Hug like a hobbit!~ "In my heaven..."

TORn's Observations Lists

Eowyn of Penns Woods
Valinor

Mar 21 2007, 4:38pm

Post #6 of 17 (87 views)
Shortcut
Me too. [In reply to] Can't Post

I was too nit-picky even at that age to have given him the But He's Sooo Cuuuuuute!!! Free Pass.
I would've made my friends angry by insisting that he's Not Cute Enough! to get away with
singing that badly. =)

GaladrielTX
Tol Eressea

Mar 21 2007, 5:28pm

Post #7 of 17 (82 views)
Shortcut
A lesson from the distant past: Tony DiFranco. / [In reply to] Can't Post

~~~~~~~~

I used to be GaladrielTX, but my TX went off into the Blue to have mad adventures.

CAhobbit
Rohan

Mar 21 2007, 6:13pm

Post #8 of 17 (82 views)
Shortcut
I had no idea who that was... [In reply to] Can't Post

so I looked him up. I really still have no idea who he (and his family) is/are. Laugh

Do not meddle in the affairs of hobbits for we can bite your kneecaps off!

CAhobbit's flickr page

CAhobbit's myspace

Farawyn
Rohan

Mar 21 2007, 7:39pm

Post #9 of 17 (89 views)
Shortcut
Keep the ball for a bit, Fing! [In reply to] Can't Post

If I don't post the thread by tuesday I prolly won't. I have been working my butt off and have not had time to even pop in.

What do you guys think of the plot to keep Sanjaya on the show?

Should go: Phil
Will go: Gina

Best singer of the night was Jordin. BY FAR.

The little kid crying in the audience was the best overall performance.

"I have a perfect horror of words that are not backed up by deeds."
- Theodore Roosevelt, Oyster Bay, NY, July 7, 1915
Snark: The Other White Meat.
Disclaimer: The author of this message does not guarantee correct grammar, spelling or English usage. No responsibility can be accepted for the use of this message as a guide to written English.

FingonOfPittsburgh
Lorien

Mar 21 2007, 8:02pm

Post #10 of 17 (78 views)
Shortcut
re [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

The little kid crying in the audience was the best overall performance.

Out of the darkness of my life, so much frustrated, I put before you the one great thing to love on earth: the Blessed Sacrament... There you will find romance, glory, honour, fidelity, and the true way of all your loves on earth, and more than that: Death: by the divine paradox, that which ends life, and demands the surrender of all, and yet by the taste (or foretaste) of which alone can what you seek in your earthly relationships (love, faithfulness, joy) be maintained, or take on that complexion of reality, of eternal endurance, which every man's heart desires.

--J.R.R. Tolkien, Letter #43, to his son Michael

Aerin
Grey Havens

Mar 21 2007, 8:15pm

Post #11 of 17 (94 views)
Shortcut
I'm liking Jordin less and less. *ducks* [In reply to] Can't Post

I do agree that this week was the most enjoyable show so far, mainly because of the much savvier song choices, but also because this is my musical era, and I actually knew all the songs, for a change! Great coaching, too! I agree, let's keep the coaches! Interesting that two Zombies songs were used (their two big hits); I always thought the Zombies were kind of progressive in their time.

Haley – By far the best she's done. Great song choice, and she showed more vocal quality than in previous performances (not to mention personality and other assets). I'd like to see her stick around.

Chris R – Well, this probably was his best performance to date, and a risky song choice, but all it did for me was to remove any lingering doubt as to whether he has a good voice. Now that he's been forced to sing sustained notes, he's proven that he doesn't.

Jordin – Sorry, but all that feeling was undermined by her incredibly harsh sound on her loud notes. She's got a voice in there, but many of her notes actually hurt my ears! She's got to color the sound more, and not sound so forced and strained. It's just too bad that she's getting so much positive reinforcement for her flawed vocal technique (which probably will harm her voice, if she kees this up). In terms of tone quality, she's just not remotely in the same class with Melissa, LaKisha, or even Stephanie. I wanted to jump off a bridge, too, but for different reasons.

Blake – Well, he took a song I loved and didn't make me hate it, which is something, but he also removed any doubt about the quality of his voice. It's by far the worst of anyone's left in the competition, including Sanjaya's. His high notes were just dreadful, and I can't believe the judges didn't point that out. I think if they listened to the audio only, their response would be much different.

Lakisha – Oh dear. Horrible, horrible song choice. I'm not sure I know what song Lulu was recommending, but just about anything would have been better. I felt embarassed for her.

Phil – Probably the best he's done, but still pretty forgettable. He just hasn't got any charisma at all, and I don't think hair would make any difference.

Stephanie – Gotta agree that she was unimpressive. Based on the underlying talent she's shown, she's making less of what she's got than anyone else on the show.

Sanjaya – I thought this was by far his best performance — in other words, surprisingly less awful than I was expecting, and I even liked what he did with a couple of phrases. He clearly took Peter Noone's advice to heart, and it was good advice, though I thought at the time it was crazy (as Peter said, Sanjaya certainly seems a lot more like a Hermit than a Kink! LOL!) But "Something Good" would have been just too much like a parody of himself. He still needs to go, obviously, but at this point, I think I'd send Beat-box-boy or Phil home first.

Gina – Great song choice; her biggest mistake was messing with the tune too much, as Simon noted. She just need to sing it straight, with attitude. She had some brilliant moments during this performance, but couldn't sustain it.

Chris Sligh – Boring. But he sure does have a pretty voice.

Melinda – Still the one to beat, by far. Again, she took a song I can't stand and gave a performance that actually moved me. I also really like what the stylists are doing with her — they've refined her look without being extreme or untrue to her personality.

Foe
Lorien

Mar 21 2007, 11:23pm

Post #12 of 17 (83 views)
Shortcut
To me it seemed like Sanjaya [In reply to] Can't Post

was doing his best to give a big "stick it" to American Idol this week. He seemed to be singing intentionally bad, knowing that he would be back next week due to the voting. He's making a farce of American Idol, he's begging to be voted off, knowing full well, he has a good chance of staying around. I also saw on some news program that Simon said he'd quit the show if Sanjaya won.

Email Foe!

Foe's LiveJournal!

Foe's Myspace!

YIM, AIM, MSN= foehelm

Aerin
Grey Havens

Mar 22 2007, 3:39am

Post #13 of 17 (77 views)
Shortcut
Nah, I'm sure [In reply to] Can't Post

he was sincerely giving it his best shot. He was doing exactly what Peter Noone advised him to do — just go all out with a song quite different from what he had been doing (or what people would expect).

Foe
Lorien

Mar 22 2007, 3:41am

Post #14 of 17 (67 views)
Shortcut
Wow. [In reply to] Can't Post

This show continues to make me shake my head in disbelief.

Email Foe!

Foe's LiveJournal!

Foe's Myspace!

YIM, AIM, MSN= foehelm

Aerin
Grey Havens

Mar 22 2007, 4:56am

Post #15 of 17 (76 views)
Shortcut
The only real surprise for me [In reply to] Can't Post

was that Chris R was in the bottom three. I thought he deserved to be there, but I'm surprised that America agreed.

Too bad about Stephanie; I think she's a lot better than several remaining singers, but I'm not surprised, because the segments of the audience she would appeal to the most are going to prefer LaKisha or Melinda. (Same reason Sabrina went.) She's talented, but just hasn't stood out.

Aerlinn
Lorien

Mar 22 2007, 2:09pm

Post #16 of 17 (63 views)
Shortcut
Right. [In reply to] Can't Post

When they showed her initial audition it made me a little sad - we just haven't heard that voice since then, it seems like. And now we won't. I hope she fares well out in the Wild, though - she deserves to get a call from a label.

'I cannot read the furry letters,' said Frodo in a quavering voice.
'No,' said Gandalf, 'but I can.'

'One Ring to drool on them all, One Ring to heed them
One Ring to bring them all and remind them all to feed them
In the land of Kitchen where the litter lies.
'

My TORn archives - to be updated sooner or later

Eowyn of Penns Woods
Valinor

Mar 22 2007, 3:36pm

Post #17 of 17 (72 views)
Shortcut
Well... [In reply to] Can't Post

if Hinder can get a contract, she certainly should!
Sorry. Just saw them on late night TV yet again.
Dude makes my throat ache just listening to those
exorcism-like sound effects...

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.