** Blink and you MISC it: Legolas & the three arrows **
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Loresilme
Valinor

Jul 5 2008, 3:08am

Post #1 of 38 (721 views)
Shortcut
** Blink and you MISC it: Legolas & the three arrows ** Can't Post

Hey all, I'm back Smile… and I want to send out a big THANK YOU to all my fellow Screencappers who filled in on MISC the past few months. They were all outstanding and I really hope everyone had fun with it. You guys really raised the bar on me now! And the offer is always out there, any time anyone would like to jump in with a MISC of their own some weekend, "you are most welcome" … just PM me and let me know.

The past few weeks I've been experimenting with making my own screencaps. After using the caps only from the screencap library for so long (bows sincerely to the gracious and talented Reera the Red), I just wanted to see what else I could find. And going through the films in slow motion on the computer, you do find a lot of those 'blink and you miss it' surprises, so I thought I'd return with a few of those for a while. The quality (visual clarity) of the caps from Reera's screencap library is, I feel, far superior to what I have been able to get, but, we'll see how it goes.

So here is my 'nice to be back' mathom for y'all -- a great fangirl/boy shot of Legolas that I came across that really grabbed my attention. Aside from the obvious reasons (ahem), I liked that this is such a great shot capturing the three arrows. And framed against the darkened sky, it's such a great image, I'm surprised I haven't seen it elsewhere. Maybe it's out there somewhere in Orly fandom-land, but I'd never seen it before.

I'm not even sure if I realized, while watching the films, that Legolas used three arrows to bring down the mumakil….guess I must have blinked Wink.

Enjoy all … it's so nice to be back. I'm going to wander around the rooms here at TORn and see what everybody's been up to. I missed it ... feels just like coming home Evil.

Heart Loresilme

Magpie
Immortal

Jul 5 2008, 3:28am

Post #2 of 38 (549 views)
Shortcut
well... [In reply to] Can't Post

It was a different angle but there was THIS.

It's good to have you back. :D

magpie avatar gallery ~ soundtrack website ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Starling
Half-elven

Jul 5 2008, 3:31am

Post #3 of 38 (537 views)
Shortcut
Pitiful [In reply to] Can't Post

I just had a bad flashback to my tragic score on that quiz.
Not my finest hour!

Loresilme
Valinor

Jul 5 2008, 4:29am

Post #4 of 38 (566 views)
Shortcut
Nice to be back~ [In reply to] Can't Post

And that was a very funny trivia thread, btw Laugh.

Smeagirl/Girllum
Gondor

Jul 5 2008, 4:37pm

Post #5 of 38 (535 views)
Shortcut
I have an archery/physics question. [In reply to] Can't Post

OK, assuming for the moment that someone could actually shoot three arrows at once in the midst of battle while standing on the back of a mumakil --

Since the kinetic energy in the bow and string are being transferred to the arrow(s), is there any advantage to shooting three arrows at once (other than it looking cool)? Wouldn't each arrow be propelled forward with only a third as much energy? Or maybe less, since generally a bow is designed to be used with a specific weight of arrow? Also, unless Legolas had been practicing this technique, how could his aim be as good?

It is a great image though. Thanks Loresilme!

"There was something in this tree that I have never seen before," he said. "It was not an orc. It fled as soon as I touched the tree-stem. It seemed to be wary, and to have some skill in trees, or I might have thought that it was one of you hobbits."

Elberbeth
Tol Eressea

Jul 5 2008, 4:46pm

Post #6 of 38 (527 views)
Shortcut
But it was a bow of the Galadhrim, remember [In reply to] Can't Post

and so could probably do anything its owner wanted it to.

"There are some things that it is better to begin than to refuse, even though the end may be dark."

Magpie
Immortal

Jul 5 2008, 4:49pm

Post #7 of 38 (526 views)
Shortcut
That is a perfect geek question! [In reply to] Can't Post

And reminds me of a recent Car Talk puzzler.

Do we have any physics people on the board? It would seem to me the aim of each would be a bit different. Different enough to send any astray? I don't know.

But like you said, it makes for a great image.

Loresilme
Valinor

Jul 5 2008, 5:22pm

Post #8 of 38 (496 views)
Shortcut
A great question! // [In reply to] Can't Post

Loresilme
Valinor

Jul 5 2008, 5:22pm

Post #9 of 38 (500 views)
Shortcut
And a great answer! // [In reply to] Can't Post

Loresilme
Valinor

Jul 5 2008, 5:30pm

Post #10 of 38 (525 views)
Shortcut
Between Smeagirl/Girllum's question and Elbereth's answer [In reply to] Can't Post

I would say we have the geek conversational equivalent of Caras Galadhon - the heart and spirit of utter geekdom on earth Sly.

I love TORn!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

melthavron
The Shire

Jul 5 2008, 7:27pm

Post #11 of 38 (502 views)
Shortcut
Geek answer [In reply to] Can't Post

The arrows would probably diverge slightly, hitting three neural centres simultaneously. The combined shock of three arrows arriving together would possibly be greater than if they arrived separately.

From the positioning of the arrows, they would probably have hit the motor cortex, thus causing the mūmak to collapse forward under its own momentum. Cool

Hige sceal že heardra, / Will shall be the sterner,
heorte že cenre, / heart the bolder,
mod sceal že mare, / spirit the greater,
že ure męgen lytlaš. / as our strength lessens.

(This post was edited by melthavron on Jul 5 2008, 7:32pm)

FarFromHome
Valinor

Jul 5 2008, 7:31pm

Post #12 of 38 (532 views)
Shortcut
Utter geekdom... [In reply to] Can't Post

That reminds me of a great thread on Movie soon after RotK came out. Someone suggested that Frodo's underwear peeking out at the waist in the Tower of Cirith Ungol was a mistake - that it was Elijah Wood's own underwear accidentally showing.

There were two answers to this question:

The first was an erudite summary of the history of men's undergarments in 18th century England, showing that linen with a drawstring waist, as worn by Frodo, was entirely in period.

The second was a set of shots of Elijah's own brightly printed boxers peeking out at the waist of his jeans as he showed off his tattoo!

Case closed!

Wink

...and the sails were drawn up, and the wind blew,
and slowly the ship slipped away down the long grey firth;
and the light of the glass of Galadriel that Frodo bore
glimmered and was lost.

Artanis
Rohan

Jul 5 2008, 7:56pm

Post #13 of 38 (497 views)
Shortcut
Well [In reply to] Can't Post

I have never even noticed he had three arrows....makes me wonder what else I missed!

Artanis

Reading: Unfinished Tales -Tolkien, The letters of J.R.R. Tolkien, Father Brown Selected Stories - G.K. Chesterton

Listening: LOTR Trilogy Soundrack, The Silmarillion

Random Delights: Tea, bourbon biscuits and TORn

Magpie
Immortal

Jul 5 2008, 8:03pm

Post #14 of 38 (513 views)
Shortcut
btw... [In reply to] Can't Post

(speaking of acronyms on Off Topic)

in the quiz I linked to in my previous post, I referred to the 'contraption' the Haradrim were riding in on the Mumakil. I have learned, courtesy of Doug Adams, that it's called a howdah (alt. houdah).

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 5 2008, 10:01pm

Post #15 of 38 (505 views)
Shortcut
Was it ever mentioned [In reply to] Can't Post

if Bloom actually held three arrows in this shot? We know he could hold two as this method was discussed in online articles for the scene - I forget which one - where Legolas shot two at once. But I don't believe this three-arrow shot was ever discussed, which makes me wonder if a bit of CGI trickery was involved in the form of digitally adding one or two arrows so that they look professionally held by an expert Elf marksman.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded b*****d with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Smeagirl/Girllum
Gondor

Jul 5 2008, 10:34pm

Post #16 of 38 (488 views)
Shortcut
On thinking about it, I don't see how it would be possible, [In reply to] Can't Post

at least not without a huge amount of practice. It seems like in general all the (movie) elvish arrows have really large fletching (feathers). So to hold three arrows, separated enough so the fletching doesn't get tangled and each one is positioned correctly on the string, while pulling the string back -- I guess elves have long fingers, but even so, it just doesn't seem do-able, not even by a real elf, let alone a human playing one.

"I wish I could lay my hands on the wretch. We might make him useful. But if I cannot, we shall have to try and lose him. He is very dangerous."

Magpie
Immortal

Jul 5 2008, 10:38pm

Post #17 of 38 (490 views)
Shortcut
another possibility [In reply to] Can't Post

is a physical mockup of three arrows kind of fastened together so that there's only two props to hold and control: the bow and the combined arrows.

I kind of looked at Bloom's fingers and - at a quick glance - they didn't look as if they were properly holding anything which could indicate CG.

Eruwestial37
Rohan

Jul 6 2008, 12:05am

Post #18 of 38 (494 views)
Shortcut
I'm a geeky archer [In reply to] Can't Post

Who actually tried this. Blush
Two arrows will work, as there are enough fingers to hold the arrows while pulling back the string. Three arrows simply have no place to go. I had to rest the second arrow on top of my fingers, with the first arrow between them. Most archers use a two finger pull as the string bends at too acute an angle to allow 3 or more fingers at the point.
Two arrows always went in two different directions whenever I tried this, but then I'm no Legolas!

Look carefully at the picture and you can see they CG'ed them on top of his hand, rather than have him hold them between his fingers.

Anyone who wants to replicate my effort-do be certain you are the only one on the archery range. They go very wide and do carry the strength of the bow.

As for the advantage? It looks cool and probably impresses the Dwarf (though he'd never admit it).
Otherwise, it would indeed divide the force from the bow. If his bow was as powerful as an Elven bow might be, then it could be an advantage assuming he could tame those arrows into all going the same direction. Two would make a bigger hole than one, so perhaps he figured that would help.
I always thought he used two to emphasize his wish to stop the troll from killing Gimli-the target of the moment.

I would think an Elf would practice all sorts of variations. After a few hundred years, single-arrow shooting could get dull.Wink

Eruwestial

Elven
Valinor

Jul 6 2008, 12:13am

Post #19 of 38 (483 views)
Shortcut
Cave Troll ... [In reply to] Can't Post

he had two in the skull from atop.

ended up like a dart board ... now there's a novel idea Laugh

Cheers
Elven

Were off to Hobbiton finally!

Tolkien was a Capricorn!!
Russell Crowe for Beorn!!

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jul 6 2008, 1:23am

Post #20 of 38 (480 views)
Shortcut
Waves Howdy! Howdy! [In reply to] Can't Post

I love the 3-arrow shot, but I'm more taken with the intensity of his expression. NAR, imho. Translation: No Acting Required. Just from his eyes and his straining has be totally believing he's drawing these arrows with added strength and focus. Brilliant!

I SO wish I had the capability to screencapping. But then again, I'd be lost to the world for months/years just playing and pining :)

It's GREAT to see you, m'dear!

sample

"Barney Snow was here." ~Hug like a hobbit!~ "In my heaven..."

TORn's Observations Lists

Finduilas101
Rivendell

Jul 6 2008, 2:28pm

Post #21 of 38 (470 views)
Shortcut
It is an elven bow... [In reply to] Can't Post

So perhaps the whole propulsion thing wouldn't matter. As for aim, well, Leggy is only about three feet from the Mumakil's head...

Saruman, Gandalf the Grey rides to Isenguard...NO LONGER SEEKING YOUR COUNCIL!!!

Loresilme
Valinor

Jul 6 2008, 11:44pm

Post #22 of 38 (462 views)
Shortcut
It's Elijah's Underwear vs. Mr. DIITTTY [In reply to] Can't Post

in competition for "Biggest Technical Goofs in the Trilogy" Sly.

So far I think the biggest one was the guy I call "Mr. DIITTTY". This would be Karl Urban's stand in, who accidentally appears in a scene towards the very end of TTT with Gandalf, Aragorn, etc., after the battle.

"DIITTTY", being short for, "Dude! I'm In The Two Towers! Yessssssss!"

Cool Loresilme

Loresilme
Valinor

Jul 6 2008, 11:54pm

Post #23 of 38 (461 views)
Shortcut
"Do not try this at home" LOL! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'll take your word for it!

I think you're right about them CGing the arrows over his fingers, when I look carefully, his fingers are sort of blurred / somewhat disappearing, you don't actually see them on the arrows. That might have been why this shot never became well-used or blown up into larger sizes, it probably became very apparent the closer you look!

Thanks for sharing your expertise on archery. Your geeky secret is safe with us Wink! btw, (I read your profile) were you already into archery before getting, er, into Legolas Cool, or after you saw the films?

Loresilme
Valinor

Jul 6 2008, 11:57pm

Post #24 of 38 (456 views)
Shortcut
Good point [In reply to] Can't Post

Uh oh. I think I made a pun....

Loresilme
Valinor

Jul 6 2008, 11:59pm

Post #25 of 38 (454 views)
Shortcut
Me neither [In reply to] Can't Post

Amazing, isn't it. I have some more of these types of shots coming in the next few weeks, other scenes where when I watched in slow motion I went, "Huh? I watched these films how many times and I never saw that??".

Stay tuned Cool!

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.