Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Lord of The Rings:
Did You Ever Notice... Elrond's Council Robes?
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Arwen's daughter
Half-elven

Jul 2 2008, 6:31pm

Post #1 of 30 (13477 views)
Shortcut
Did You Ever Notice... Elrond's Council Robes? Can't Post

Elrond's costumes are a bit mix-and-match. He will wear the same under robe with different drapes and belts. Here we start with a pair of cranberry silk wrap pants. There must be a matching top because we see a bit of sleeve poking out, but there is no image of it. Over it we have a salmon silk dupioni robe which buttons down the front and has embroidery on the yoke and at the edges of the sleeves. He wears a belt with a tail similar to Arwen's Farewell Dress.

Over that is a rust silk velvet robe. The robe has very wide bell sleeves that are lined with a silk brocade and turned back a few inches so that it shows in a wide cuff. A design has been etched into the shoulder and on the back of it.

This is the best shot I could find to show the shape of the sleeves. It's from the Editing section of the EE specials. You can also see here a shiny spot where he sits. This kind of velvet is very unforgiving and will crush with only a little pressure. If you sit for two long or lean against a railing your garment develops a shiny spot. (I learned this one from personal experience Crazy)

As always, there are more pictures and details to be found over at AlleyCatScratch's LOTR page.

Any thoughts on this costume?

Did You Ever Notice? is a roving discussion taking a look at some of the detail put into the costumes of LOTR. It doesn't show up on any particular day or follow any particular order. You can always find our previous discussions at my Costume Discussion Archive.

My LiveJournal
My Costuming Site
TORn's Costume Discussions Archive
July Screencap of the Day Schedule

Lady_Eowyn
Bree

Jul 2 2008, 6:41pm

Post #2 of 30 (9963 views)
Shortcut
I love his robes [In reply to] Can't Post

they are so magnificent and elven like. Could not get any better he he

Eowyn: But no living man am I! You look upon a woman. Eowyn I am, Eomund's daughter. You stand between me and my lord and kin. Begone, if you be not deathless! For living or dark undead, I will smite you, if you touch him.

Lord Of The Rings Book 5 Chapter 6 The Battle of the Pelennor Fields

Alcarcalime
Tol Eressea

Jul 2 2008, 6:43pm

Post #3 of 30 (10002 views)
Shortcut
I love this costume of Elrond's. [In reply to] Can't Post

It is elegant and still seems masculine. I really wish I was more interested in sewing. I would love to make this rust robe for my husband. I keep telling him he is lucky his hair is too curly to wear long -- I also love Elrond's hair!!

Movie Technical Discussion -- Index

Peredhil lover
Valinor

Jul 2 2008, 6:50pm

Post #4 of 30 (9927 views)
Shortcut
I'd love [In reply to] Can't Post

to have this one, myself. Though maybe rather in blue - brown isn't my colour Wink

Another wonderful costume, perfect for Elrond. The embroidery on the sleeves is so very elvish!

Thanks for these great pictures, Arwen's daughter!

I do not suffer from LotR obsession - I enjoy every minute of it.

weaver
Half-elven

Jul 3 2008, 2:25am

Post #5 of 30 (9936 views)
Shortcut
I never noticed the embroidery before... [In reply to] Can't Post

That's a beautiful robe, and very fit for an Elven King to wear...

The pants are my favorite though -- I could see Elrond wearing those to work on "casual Fridays"...

I like the belt better with the robe -- they balance each other out -- than I did seeing it alone on Arwen's farewell dress.

And is it just me, or do Elrond's clothes look very Asian -- like something a Samauri would wear? I may be basing this on stereotypes, though, as I'm not the most astute observer of clothing styles.

Very nice set of photos, thanks. Hugo Weaving does "the cool stare" very well, too!

Weaver

Nimloth
Lorien

Jul 3 2008, 5:05am

Post #6 of 30 (9906 views)
Shortcut
Lovely clothes [In reply to] Can't Post

I love the Elves clothes and I hadn't noticed the detail on Elrond's robe. I'm looking forward to seeing how the Mirkwood elves will be dressed - like Legolas or different again?

Kelvarhin
Half-elven

Jul 3 2008, 5:12am

Post #7 of 30 (9923 views)
Shortcut
Neither did I [In reply to] Can't Post

Once again I'm just amazed at the amount of detail they put into these costumes. They're so beautiful.

Valinor, O Valinor
Andavë yányë hyarya
Tumna yá nyèna minya fëa
An Valinor, lissë Eldamar

Kelvarhin's Universe
In the land of TORnadoes...where the brilliant play (with thanks to grammaboodawg :) )
Is TORn...Is Good

Starling
Half-elven

Jul 3 2008, 7:48am

Post #8 of 30 (9953 views)
Shortcut
Oh no, a shiny bottom [In reply to] Can't Post

It was great to have a closer look at the robe and the shirt. Once again, I enjoy these costume posts - thank you.

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Jul 3 2008, 7:54am

Post #9 of 30 (9904 views)
Shortcut
*snert* [In reply to] Can't Post

Subject Line of the Day award goes to you. Good thing I wasn't drinking anything at the time....

Silverlode

"Of all faces those of our familiares are the ones both most difficult to play fantastic tricks with, and most difficult really to see with fresh attention. They have become like the things which once attracted us by their glitter, or their colour, or their shape, and we laid hands on them, and then locked them in our hoard, acquired them, and acquiring ceased to look at them.
Creative fantasy, because it is mainly trying to do something else [make something new], may open your hoard and let all the locked things fly away like cage-birds. The gems all turn into flowers or flames, and you will be warned that all you had (or knew) was dangerous and potent, not really effectively chained, free and wild; no more yours than they were you."
-On Fairy Stories

hobbitlove
Gondor

Jul 3 2008, 8:51am

Post #10 of 30 (9919 views)
Shortcut
Ah, ha! You changed your Lij pic. ; ) [In reply to] Can't Post

Check out
QTNA
Movie Discussions

hob
(former nick: "HobbitLoveR*M-e" among several others)

hobbitlove
Gondor

Jul 3 2008, 8:59am

Post #11 of 30 (9913 views)
Shortcut
Actually, I've been waiting for this post. [In reply to] Can't Post

Ever since Hugo mentioned how gorgeous his costume was, I've been eager to see it up close and in detail.
This is another brilliant, beautiful post, and we are so very fortunate that you do them.
Gad, I can't believe how much fun it is to look at these costumes. They are utterly fascinating and so much more - unique, stunning, full of character, and character enhancing. I can't say enough.
Thanks,
Hearthob

Check out
QTNA
Movie Discussions

hob
(former nick: "HobbitLoveR*M-e" among several others)

Patty
Immortal

Jul 3 2008, 1:35pm

Post #12 of 30 (9922 views)
Shortcut
I had noticed the embroidery on other parts of the robe... [In reply to] Can't Post

but never down the long sleeve. Magnificent. Is there any place in the actual movie where you can see this, or is the pic only taken from a behind- the- scenes look?

Hanging out with the Lonely Isle elves.

Arwen's daughter
Half-elven

Jul 3 2008, 4:45pm

Post #13 of 30 (9865 views)
Shortcut
Yep! [In reply to] Can't Post

I've been working on some updated Elijah pics. I love the other one, but it's a few years old now Smile

My LiveJournal
My Costuming Site

Arwen's daughter
Half-elven

Jul 3 2008, 4:58pm

Post #14 of 30 (9883 views)
Shortcut
Some of it is visible in the movie [In reply to] Can't Post

if you know what you're looking for. If you can watch the Council of Elrond and the farewell to Rivendell scenes just focusing on Elrond's sleeve you can usually spot parts of the design.

My LiveJournal
My Costuming Site

Arwen's daughter
Half-elven

Jul 3 2008, 5:01pm

Post #15 of 30 (9921 views)
Shortcut
It's hard to be masculine in a dress [In reply to] Can't Post

Yet the elves and wizards of LOTR pull it off very well, don't they? Clothes like these take some getting used to, and yet we never see Elrond tripping over his sleeves Tongue These actors did very well not only with difficult roles but with difficult costumes.

My LiveJournal
My Costuming Site

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Jul 3 2008, 5:03pm

Post #16 of 30 (9876 views)
Shortcut
I had no idea [In reply to] Can't Post

I'd always thought his robes were stately, but they're so elegant too! Can you imagine being one of these players that wear some of these stunning costumes and feel yourself transform into the character!?

I love how his sash resembles the one Arwen is wearing at the Rivendell farewell. The embroidery looks a lot the same, too.

sample

"Barney Snow was here." ~Hug like a hobbit!~ "In my heaven..."

TORn's Observations Lists

Arwen's daughter
Half-elven

Jul 3 2008, 5:09pm

Post #17 of 30 (9878 views)
Shortcut
I learn something new with each of these posts [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Ever since Hugo mentioned how gorgeous his costume was, I've been eager to see it up close and in detail.
This is another brilliant, beautiful post, and we are so very fortunate that you do them.
Gad, I can't believe how much fun it is to look at these costumes. They are utterly fascinating and so much more - unique, stunning, full of character, and character enhancing. I can't say enough.

I seriously do learn something with every costume. I'm just glad that we have such gorgeous pieces to talk about! I'm happy to share my love for what Ngila and her crew accomplished.

My LiveJournal
My Costuming Site

Alcarcalime
Tol Eressea

Jul 3 2008, 5:27pm

Post #18 of 30 (9884 views)
Shortcut
I think in some ways, [In reply to] Can't Post

the difficult, unique costumes made the actors feel like the character. They put on the character when they put on the costume.

Movie Technical Discussion -- Index

Arwen's daughter
Half-elven

Jul 3 2008, 5:33pm

Post #19 of 30 (9889 views)
Shortcut
They look very Asian to me as well [In reply to] Can't Post

Though I love that there's never anything I can point to and name the garment they're copying. There's a sense that the costume is tied to our own world but it still feels otherworldly. It's a very delicate balance that Ngila gets perfectly right (IMHO of course).

My LiveJournal
My Costuming Site

Elberbeth
Tol Eressea

Jul 3 2008, 5:56pm

Post #20 of 30 (9870 views)
Shortcut
Very elegant!// [In reply to] Can't Post

"There are some things that it is better to begin than to refuse, even though the end may be dark."

weaver
Half-elven

Jul 3 2008, 6:05pm

Post #21 of 30 (9892 views)
Shortcut
that's a good point... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Though I love that there's never anything I can point to and name the garment they're copying. There's a sense that the costume is tied to our own world but it still feels otherworldly. It's a very delicate balance that Ngila gets perfectly right (IMHO of course).

I like what you said here! The costumes do feel like the rest of Middle Earth -- "like and unalike" our world...

Weaver

Peredhil lover
Valinor

Jul 3 2008, 6:10pm

Post #22 of 30 (9881 views)
Shortcut
Sleeves [In reply to] Can't Post

and yet we never see Elrond tripping over his sleeves

*lol*
Love that! As much as I like these costumes, I had wondered myself if it is possible to do something useful while wearing these sleeves save sitting in council and looking important and beautiful Wink

Arwen's daughter
Half-elven

Jul 3 2008, 6:34pm

Post #23 of 30 (9865 views)
Shortcut
With practice anything is possible ;-) [In reply to] Can't Post

I wore an Arwen dress like the one in my avatar to the theater for ROTK. The first bathroom trip was... interesting. And not because of the layers of thermal underwear under the dress (it was December, after all) Tongue Let's just say, I learned how to get those sleeves out of the way pretty quickly, especially when there's pizza around. With a little practice I could move around fairly easily in the dress.

The best piece of advice I've ever heard for costume recreationists is to vacuum in your costume. If you can manage that you'll be fine. Cool

My LiveJournal
My Costuming Site

Peredhil lover
Valinor

Jul 3 2008, 7:06pm

Post #24 of 30 (9892 views)
Shortcut
Practice [In reply to] Can't Post

Now I wonder - the actors had to practice riding, sword fighting, paddling and all that. Did these lessons include moving in their costumes as well? Wink

Well, if you managed, then the elves should be fine, too. They had millennia to perfect the skill of wearing their clothes, after all Tongue

Kelvarhin
Half-elven

Jul 4 2008, 1:53am

Post #25 of 30 (10008 views)
Shortcut
*coughing* was...drinking...coffee...*cough* [In reply to] Can't Post

Oh that's better, did sort of wonder where she was gonna go with an opening line like that LOL.

Cheers Starling Wink

*walks off to find cloth to wipe down computer screen*

Valinor, O Valinor
Andavë yányë hyarya
Tumna yá nyèna minya fëa
An Valinor, lissë Eldamar

Kelvarhin's Universe
In the land of TORnadoes...where the brilliant play (with thanks to grammaboodawg :) )
Is TORn...Is Good

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.