Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: TheOneRing.net: Feedback:
Since you're already tweaking things. . .
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Advising Elf
Rohan

Mar 20 2007, 6:19pm

Post #1 of 42 (756 views)
Shortcut
Since you're already tweaking things. . . Can't Post

as evidenced by the underlines, I'll bring this up officially, instead of just mentioning in in general posts in other places. I really don't want to sound like a "what have you done for me lately" kind of guy.

When you get the chance can you change the color that that posts change to after you have read them? Now they change to a dark purple, which doesn't really look much different than the dark blue. All it needs is something with more contrast, either a lighter purple, or another color that isn't so dark.

Thanks again for all the work that you've done.

Yahoo!Group with good stuff to download:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LOTRgoodies/

Draupne
Forum Admin / Moderator

Mar 20 2007, 6:26pm

Post #2 of 42 (523 views)
Shortcut
Dark purple? Dark blue? [In reply to] Can't Post

*stares at screen* I have bold and not bold. No purple, no blue. Can't say I miss them :-)

Sherry
Rivendell

Mar 20 2007, 7:00pm

Post #3 of 42 (531 views)
Shortcut
Your computer is weird [In reply to] Can't Post

:p

Or your browser. Or both :o

I'm with Draupne. I see bold or not bold. Colour wise I don't notice as its the difference in the bold/not bold that stands out.

I do see some fonts differently though, as I don't have them installed for my browser, but thats ok, as I prefer the set font I have opted for.

I don't know. I don't have any of the problems with the colours that others seem to. I see the colours they see, the blue or lighter blue etc, but I am able to recognise them easily.

I think the problem lies more in the colour scheme of green, grey and white. And finding colours that stand out from those more easily. I'd be looking to a dark red and bold for links etc. Or a dark green and bold. So not only is something a different colour, but whatever it is is bold. Blue (dark) is kind of crummy as a link colour as its too close to the standard colour of black used in the text.

'I wish I could say something classy and inspirational, but that just wouldn't be our style.'

'Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever.'

What I am listening to

New boards = new nick. Registered User formerly known as Arwenelf

Advising Elf
Rohan

Mar 20 2007, 7:25pm

Post #4 of 42 (514 views)
Shortcut
I'm not talking about the appearance when you first open the thread. [In reply to] Can't Post

I mean how they appear after you leave the site, then come back.

If you look closely (and that's the point, it doesn't show up very well), posts that you have accessed are in a dark purple color, one's that you haven't are in a dark blue (maybe it's black and my eyes are messing with me). If the posts you have accessed were in a more contrasty color, then the fact the the bold and the NEW disappear once you leave the site won't matter. You'd still be able to see what you'd looked at, and what you hadn't.

Eowyn of Penns Woods
Valinor

Mar 20 2007, 7:33pm

Post #5 of 42 (539 views)
Shortcut
I see what he sees. [In reply to] Can't Post

But it's common knowledge that I'm weird. =)
When I go to any forum index, I see new or unvisited topics in bold.
Previously visited topics with new posts are also in bold.
The color difference between 'visited' (purple) and 'unvisited' (blue) topics
was more obvious before the underlining thing happened.
I think maybe that's what AE is trying to say?

And while I was rewording, I see that AE has responded.
For me, it's the underlining that's causing the most difficulty.

Advising Elf
Rohan

Mar 20 2007, 7:33pm

Post #6 of 42 (487 views)
Shortcut
*see reply to Draupne above*// [In reply to] Can't Post

Sherry
Rivendell

Mar 20 2007, 8:02pm

Post #7 of 42 (509 views)
Shortcut
I've left [In reply to] Can't Post

and come back again, and tbh, don't see those colours. Now I think about it, I do recall in the early days noticing it, but I think my eyes trained themselves to not register them quite quickly.

However, I viewed the source code and went and dug up all the colours showing up in it. And yes, purple and blue are there, there is a very slight difference I guess as the text is thin, it really does not show up. I went to a colour chart site and put those numbers in and blimey, its purple, but would never show up well here. The site I used - http://www.redbrick.dcu.ie/help/reference/colors/

The colours listed in the source are

#c5e1a3 - black

#003366 - dark blue

#333366 - dark purple

#3366cc - lighter blue

Or maybe this would be better

<style type="text/css" media="screen">
<!--
body {
scrollbar-base-color: #404040;
scrollbar-arrow-color: #00ff33;
}
a.menu:link,a.menu:visited {
font-size: 11px;
color: black;
text-decoration: none;
font-family: Verdana, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;
font-weight: 600;
}
a.menu:hover {
font-size: 11px;
color: #256A19;
text-decoration: underline;
font-weight: 600;
}
.submit {
background-color: #7a9f54;
font-family: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;
font-size: 10px;
color: white;
font-weight: bold;
}
.button {
background-color: #c5e1a3;
color: black;
font-family: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;
font-size: 10px;
}
a:link {
color: #003366;
}
a:visited {
color: #333366;
}
a:hover {
color: #3366cc;
}
-->
</style>

I see a few people have worked on this over time, so some of the style and design was put in way back when.

TBH, I still don't have a problem with it as I have never relied on those colour changes nor do I look for them. I guess we all work differently when viewing the forum. I don't read every thread here, nor do I read every post in the threads I do read. I tend to actually take little notice of anything other than the 'new' sign in the forums I do visit. Outside of that, I don't rely on anything the forum is trying to tell me either in bold/unbold or colour changes, subtle or not :)

The thing is, the green/grey colour theme of the forum lends itself to darker deeper reds (not bright ones) and dark greens, against grey backgrounds in posts and threads. Blue and purple are not colours I would go for as pleasing or easy on the eye with the colours chosen for the overall look. But then I like things to be colour co-ordinated and match :p

But yes, having investigated I see your point. Just I don't see it, if you get my meaning :p

'I wish I could say something classy and inspirational, but that just wouldn't be our style.'

What I am listening to

Draupne
Forum Admin / Moderator

Mar 20 2007, 8:18pm

Post #8 of 42 (506 views)
Shortcut
*stares at screen* [In reply to] Can't Post

No difference. So if it's supposed to be a difference it could be my screen. Can't say that I've missed it though. Don't think the new tag disappears when I go somewhere else. Hmmmm. Have never thought about that. Do you log off when you go somewhere else?

Draupne
Forum Admin / Moderator

Mar 20 2007, 8:22pm

Post #9 of 42 (485 views)
Shortcut
Hmm, I see [In reply to] Can't Post

a difference between those when I test them on big bold letters, but I don't see them on TORN either.

Advising Elf
Rohan

Mar 20 2007, 8:25pm

Post #10 of 42 (534 views)
Shortcut
Stare harder. [In reply to] Can't Post

Just kidding. Actually, check out Sherry's reply above. It confirms the color difference. It is very subtle, which is my point.

Also, if you go away from the site (without logging out) and come back, the Bold & New disappear from from any threads that you have accessed. They stay in threads that you haven't accessed.

(This post was edited by Advising Elf on Mar 20 2007, 8:25pm)

Draupne
Forum Admin / Moderator

Mar 20 2007, 9:49pm

Post #11 of 42 (503 views)
Shortcut
With going away [In reply to] Can't Post

do you mean just taking a stroll to read the news and check your bank account, or do you mean logging off?

If I do the former, the new tags stay in the threads I have accessed. Can't remember what happens when I log out. (probably because I, unlike you, remember what I've read *evil grin*)

Advising Elf
Rohan

Mar 21 2007, 12:35pm

Post #12 of 42 (481 views)
Shortcut
By going away, I mean leaving the website, not logging off. . . [In reply to] Can't Post

unless that's the same thing. I'm automatically logged in when I return, so I haven't thought about whether I've logged off or not.

NottaSackville
Valinor

Mar 21 2007, 12:35pm

Post #13 of 42 (505 views)
Shortcut
He's not crazy (at least about this) evidence inside.... [In reply to] Can't Post

Here is a screenshot of what I see. It shows what AE is trying to describe, I think:

The very top post is bold (because that's the one I was viewing), the next post down is blue, the third post is purple (because I had previously read that one), and the remaining posts are also blue.

Some observations of mine that may help clear things up:
1) If you read a post is "flat" mode, the only thing that turns purple is the root post. The remaining posts stay blue.
2) Posts are bold if they have been posted since your last visit to a forum, and you are viewing the posts from the main forum screen (where you can see all the various threads in the forum).
3) Posts are labeled new if they have been posted since you last visited a forum and if you are viewing that thread
4) If you log out, then log back in again, posts that were bold or new when you logged out are no longer bold or new, even if you never read them.

It is because of #4 that it would be nice to have greater contrast in the viewed/not viewed links. As someone who only has time to buzz through TORN every once in a while, I often don't have time to read each post that might be of interest.

Notta

Sherry
Rivendell

Mar 21 2007, 1:03pm

Post #14 of 42 (489 views)
Shortcut
Uhh [In reply to] Can't Post

I think you'll find we found the colours being used in the source code and stuff. Its been discussed in other posts in this thread :) I got what AE was saying.

fwiw, I really don't see anything like the colour definition you and others are seeing (chances are some others are like me). It pretty much looks the same to me. Really does not show up. I don't see blue or purple defined. As I said before in this thread, in the beginning I did notice it, but don't use it as my point of reference when viewing the forums so don't even notice it anymore. Everyone navigates round the forum in different ways. I don't use the text colour differences to work out what I've read or not read, visited etc. I can make out the colour change if I really want to, but as its not how I navigate, I don't bother.

Hopefully the colours will be altered so they are easier on the eye for people who do seem to rely on them.

What I am listening to

Advising Elf
Rohan

Mar 21 2007, 1:04pm

Post #15 of 42 (450 views)
Shortcut
Thanks, ns. A very clear explanation of what I meant.// [In reply to] Can't Post

NottaSackville
Valinor

Mar 21 2007, 1:21pm

Post #16 of 42 (453 views)
Shortcut
Yep [In reply to] Can't Post

I think you'll find we found the colours being used in the source code and stuff. Its been discussed in other posts in this thread :) I got what AE was saying.

Right - but for those that don't see the color difference on their screen, Draupne for instance, I wanted to show a picture that confirms the links ARE in two different colors. Some people just don't read html code very well, and others know from bitter experience that even if a snippet of code LOOKS like it does something, doesn't mean a bug somewhere else doesn't prevent it from doing so. If the colors in the picture still look the same on their screen, then it confirms it is not a bug or a browser setting or something else, but either their screen, their eyes, or, since I work somewhere where color science is important, I'll point out that it could be the color of the walls around their computer monitor or some other wacky influence as well that could prevent them from distinguishing the differently colored links.

Notta

Sherry
Rivendell

Mar 21 2007, 1:58pm

Post #17 of 42 (452 views)
Shortcut
I see [In reply to] Can't Post

the colour difference in your pic for sure. And I used to see it on this screen when the forum first went live, but I don't use it, as it were. Never relied on it on this forum. I think my eyes now just tend to ignore the difference, but tbh, its far less noticeable on my monitor that in your pic. I tend to look at my screen here and consider it all a dark blue and don't try to see the purple or blue difference.

If that makes sense.

I have mustard yellow walls here #FFCC66 is about as close as I can get to it, and I have lighting and natural light behind me :p

What I am listening to

NottaSackville
Valinor

Mar 21 2007, 2:03pm

Post #18 of 42 (474 views)
Shortcut
Our eyes see pretty much what we want them to [In reply to] Can't Post

They are a lot less objective than we like to think!

Notta

Advising Elf
Rohan

Mar 21 2007, 2:04pm

Post #19 of 42 (465 views)
Shortcut
Actually, it's *much* less noticeable now than at first. [In reply to] Can't Post

I almost wondered if I'd imagined it after posting this and you guys said "What are you talking about?" I looked around the boards and had to bug my eyes out, and squint, etc. to see the difference.

Sherry
Rivendell

Mar 21 2007, 2:14pm

Post #20 of 42 (451 views)
Shortcut
hehe [In reply to] Can't Post

Yup, thats what I have to do now to see it.

I put it down to old age and decrepitude setting in :p Not only are my ears offended by all this new fangled 'music' nowadays (apparently as you get older certain pitches/sounds etc grate on your ears more that they did when younger) but now my eyes are conking out :|

Before I know it, it'll be false teeth and a blue (or purple if my eyes fail to notice the colour difference) rinse in my hair!

What I am listening to

Advising Elf
Rohan

Mar 21 2007, 2:47pm

Post #21 of 42 (480 views)
Shortcut
Old age and decrepitude. [In reply to] Can't Post

I recently noticed that my near-vision has deteriorated. I was trying to read some fine print, and if I brought it close to enlarge it's apparent size, I couldn't focus, and if I held it back to bring it into focus, it was too small to read.

Not to get too disgusting, but I may have to start shaving my ears on a regular basis.

Sherry
Rivendell

Mar 21 2007, 2:53pm

Post #22 of 42 (481 views)
Shortcut
When you start pruning your nose hair [In reply to] Can't Post

be sure to forget to tell me ok :p

What I am listening to

Advising Elf
Rohan

Mar 21 2007, 2:55pm

Post #23 of 42 (436 views)
Shortcut
I left that out on purpose.// ;o) [In reply to] Can't Post

Altaira
Superuser

Mar 21 2007, 3:04pm

Post #24 of 42 (488 views)
Shortcut
AE, you ingrate! [In reply to] Can't Post

Wink
You're not seeing things, the viewed links *are* purple. The purple is the default that came with gforum. We've been experimenting with a few other colors as we've had time. The problem we're encountering is if we change it, *every* viewed link on the boards will change to that color which will affect the look of the Main Index, etc. And, as Sherry mentioned, something like hot pink would clash with the grey/light blue/green theme of the website.

The 'hover' color is an option (if you hover your mouse over a link, it turns a different color blue), but we're still experimenting. In the mean time, we decided getting the 'underlining links' working was more important than changing the color of viewed links.

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"All we have to decide is what to do with the boards that are given to us"

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

TORn Calendar

Advising Elf
Rohan

Mar 21 2007, 3:14pm

Post #25 of 42 (449 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for looking into it. [In reply to] Can't Post

Now that I think about it, any color dark enough to be asily readable will probably have the same problem as the purple.

Possibly a change to a "thicker" font would help, bolder, but not Bold. Not the whole site, just the viewed posts. Of course, that might be a giant hassle to do, I don't know.

It's not really that big a deal, I only brought it up because you were already tinkering around with stuff.

Thanks again for all of your hard work.Smile

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.